New Show: MindMatters (RIP Truth Perspective)

Cool! Should be interesting. I'd like to hear you ask her what she thinks of the "me too" movement and "toxic masculinity" as it relates to the behavior of some of the characters in her books.
I'd too love to hear her take on it since, quite often, the male characters in her books behave in ways that would definitely be cited as examples of toxic masculinity today. I'd also love to know how many women who call themselves feminists and who adhere to the "metoo" movement read and enjoy those books. If they do, how do they reconcile those views with their enjoyment of novels who portray male characters who, IRL, they might denounce as stalkers and toxic men?

I'd too love to hear her take on it since, quite often, the male characters in her books behave in ways that would definitely be cited as examples of toxic masculinity today. I'd also love to know how many women who call themselves feminists and who adhere to the "metoo" movement read and enjoy those books. If they do, how do they reconcile those views with their enjoyment of novels who portray male characters who, IRL, they might denounce as stalkers and toxic men?

Maybe such women only want to read about, and in that way enjoy, fictional versions of such men. IRL it would be too scary.

Good point! And it doesn't only apply to feminists, IMO. It takes a (genuinely) strong woman to "take on" a strong man, after all.

True, there are lots of women who have had negative experiences with men during their childhoods, making them understandably leery of men who display masculine traits that are normally attractive to other women. It's a sad situation, and I suppose we're all doing our best to balance out the widespread dysfunction in many people by trying to correct any 'imbalances' in ourselves. These books are good food for thought in that respect.

I'd too love to hear her take on it since, quite often, the male characters in her books behave in ways that would definitely be cited as examples of toxic masculinity today. I'd also love to know how many women who call themselves feminists and who adhere to the "metoo" movement read and enjoy those books. If they do, how do they reconcile those views with their enjoyment of novels who portray male characters who, IRL, they might denounce as stalkers and toxic men?"
This afternoon I went into a second hand store run by the local LGBTQ people-called THE RAINBOW STORE-about bringing them some used clothing. I was also curious about what else they sold. Well, they also sell used paperback romance novels, quite a few of them actually. They even had a section for the historical genre. I thought I might get lucky and snag some of MB's work for a song. But no cigar. They didn't have one single author that we are reading. And most of the authors they did have I had never heard of them. So I'm wondering if they won't display or discard most Regency works because they go against woke values, or they're so popular that the original owners keep them to reread.
FWIW

Last edited:

Well, I've been following replies on Balogh's page, and most of them are ok, except for couple of "crazy feminists". It is actually really funny if they read the books, because the cognitive dissonance should be significant. ;-)

And their faulty thinking is quite apparent. It is also good that Balogh will have none of it, and here's what she replied to one of those gals.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I've been following replies on Balogh's page...

There was a few new ones. Very cool!

Added some bolding to their words - Deborah, however seemed "aggravated" by you "three young men," as Balogh called you. Perhaps she may have missed the part of the talk discussing when liberals assess conservatives, wherein they often get it wrong. So, no more "extolling conservative’ POVs,"guys. :whistle:

Most Relevant

• Carolyn Witt

Top Fan
    Carolyn Witt That was amazing! I LOVED that they can't figure how you know about the male behavior ....a secret club you have crashed!!! It is wild to see my obsession viewed in a scientific manner! The concepts of honor has been lost in today's world, sadly. Thanks for sharing this! Keep us posted if you get an interview!! (Love the Westcott's, but they need to check out The Survivor's Club!)
    4 Replies
  • Holly Rutter Bush

Top Fan
    Holly Rutter Bush That was a great podcast! It's always fascinating to hear the surprise in men's voices that romance books are actually good! Loved how they had plenty of compliments for you, Mary. You deserve every one.
  • Cindy Legrand

Cindy Legrand Finally, I took the time to watch (and listen) and it was very interesting. I can understand that, sometimes, they go heavy on the covers. And it gives a wrong idea of the stories.
    I went back to reading romances a few months ago. It was a thing I sha…See More
    • 1h

• Deborah Cleaves

Deborah Cleaves With a 37 minute prelude extolling ‘conservative’ POVs, their ‘surprise’ that you write empathetic characters and plots remained aggravating.
      10 Replies
    • Jinny Kirby-Baxter

Jinny Kirby-Baxter How could they not like your books! Hats off to them for ignoring that stupid gender thing and letting themselves enjoy excellent writing. Yes, some men will hang on to their ancient attitudes, but what a leap for MANkind. I watched the entire presentation and was so delighted to hear how much a writer I dearly love was given such high praise. They UNDERSTOOD!

Back
Top Bottom