NuCalm Latest Fad, Tool or “short-cut”?

Transient

The Force is Strong With This One
Searched, didn’t find any results.
Is anyone familiar with NuCalm? Described as “the worlds only patented neuroscience technology clinically proven to resolve stress and improve sleep without drugs”.
Learned about it on a podcast I regularly listen too. (The life stylist with Luke Storey #318)
My concern‘s that any ‘mechanism‘ that can put you in the Theta brainwave state might also allow for susceptibility to suggestions or manipulation of other varieties.
The package consists of:
eye mask
neuro acoustic software (app with binaural ’plus’ acoustics)
bio signal disc (modified Lakhovsky coil)
The podcast interview with the founder? of the company goes into some details on the science behind the product.
Thoughts, opinion’s?
Trying to figure out if this is a safe and useable tool in regards to the work, or another ‘short-cut’.
Thank you.

Reactions: SMM
New to me. I listen to and keep up with The Lifestylist Podcast. I shall check it iut over the weekend.

Saw the disc advertised where I get my GABA, does sound interesting but can't comment otherwise:

NuCalm’s all-natural drug-free bio-signal disc activates a naturally occurring neurotransmitter in your brain called Gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA). GABA naturally reduces the activity in the brain by interrupting any adrenaline in your system. When the NuCalm bio-signal disc is placed on the inside of your left wrist, at a bundle of nerves referred to as the Pericardium-6 acupuncture point, the disc sends specific frequencies to the brain. These natural frequencies tell the body to release our calming neurotransmitter GABA.

Hi PlatonicSkeptic, no I have not tried mindroid. The name implication is a little scary, there in lies my concern.
My only exposure to this type of tech goes back to the early 70’s to a device my father built in his ‘lab’ for his use.
He gave me opportunity to play with it, small box with several dials and switches and two electrodes. He was a brilliant electronics engineer and having had many conversations with him about e technology he impressed on me just how ‘invasive/manipulative’ this tech can be... dependent on the intent of the designers, and also how far ahead the leading edge was/is to what is commercially available.
Thus my question to the larger, studied forum members.
I tread carefully in tech/neuroscience world, don’t want to add to the long list of ‘things’ to work on. 😳
Thanks all for your feedback!

Last edited:
I’ve been using Binaural Brainwave Entrainment technology for ~30 years. I even have an app I wrote on the Apple app store.

Binaural beats works for most people - to an extent - and, if used properly, can induce profoundly altered states that in some cases CAN make you suggestible!

That said, it is generally very safe, with the only proviso being that it is not recommended for folks who are prone to seizures. (Even this is not because it causes seizures, but because nobody yet understands what does cause seizures and it is not worth the risk...)

But, this tool is incredibly expensive when there are incredible free resources all over the internet and YouTube!

Better to try them than spend large amounts of money...

I thought I understood the latest pricing structure to be under 40 usd per month with no subscription. Low enough to try and see if its effective/agreeable, or back out entirely. The company is suggesting something more than binaural entrainment, “quantum technology” was the term used, marketing Maybe?
Having said that, point taken regarding ’free’ or low cost alternatives.
Having used this approach for ~ 30 yrs you have concluded the pros outweigh the cons If any?
Thank you woneill1701 for your input.
Will continue and broaden the scope of my research.

Searched, didn’t find any results.
Is anyone familiar with NuCalm? Described as “the worlds only patented neuroscience technology clinically proven to resolve stress and improve sleep without drugs”.
Learned about it on a podcast I regularly listen too. (The life stylist with Luke Storey #318)
My concern‘s that any ‘mechanism‘ that can put you in the Theta brainwave state might also allow for susceptibility to suggestions or manipulation of other varieties.
I think your concern is warranted and to keep in mind that there are no short cuts and no free lunch in the universe. There is another thread about such things here The Far Countries
Goyacobol makes this comment:
Why would you trust these meditations more than something like Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program?
That is a valid point and which deals with stress, sleeping problems and much more. Something along the lines of what you talk about and which has been tried and tested in our network is NeurOptimal and there is a thread about it here: NeuroFeedback, NeurOptimal and Electroencephalography
The thread initially only had a few posts but then suddenly from the end of 2017 jumped and gathered speed. Since many people here on the forum have done an extended amount of sessions there is also a lot of testimonials to the positive effects of this device in that thread.

Hi PlatonicSkeptic, no I have not tried mindroid. The name implication is a little scary, there in lies my concern.
My only exposure to this type of tech goes back to the early 70’s to a device my father built in his ‘lab’ for his use.
He gave me opportunity to play with it, small box with several dials and switches and two electrodes. He was a brilliant electronics engineer and having had many conversations with him about e technology he impressed on me just how ‘invasive/manipulative’ this tech can be... dependent on the intent of the designers, and also how far ahead the leading edge was/is to what is commercially available.
Thus my question to the larger, studied forum members.
I tread carefully in tech/neuroscience world, don’t want to add to the long list of ‘things’ to work on. 😳
Thanks all for your feedback!
well, I'm just a techie but yeah I'd be suspicious of the term "quantum" on any kind of marketing, this week i saw an advertisement for quantum diet wondering maybe i could eat a shrodinger ice cream and not get the calories?? not sure

but back on the topic i believe a neurofeedback device would be a better investment, it's well researched and wouldn't distort your intention towards this technology but enhance it

Edit: @Aeneas was faster than me

I thought I understood the latest pricing structure to be under 40 usd per month with no subscription. Low enough to try and see if its effective/agreeable, or back out entirely. The company is suggesting something more than binaural entrainment, “quantum technology” was the term used, marketing Maybe?
Having said that, point taken regarding ’free’ or low cost alternatives.
Having used this approach for ~ 30 yrs you have concluded the pros outweigh the cons If any?
Thank you woneill1701 for your input.
Will continue and broaden the scope of my research.
As an ex-physicist, I am skeptical about anything they do beyond pure Binaural, and believe that their use of “pre-charged” single-use coils to be an outright con. But that is only an opinion without any proof either way...

In terms of Binaural technology, I definitely believe the “pros” outweigh the “cons” - which is why I have been using brainwave entrainment for so long.

[Sales pitch begin:]
Used properly, it offers drug-free alternatives to stimulants, anti-depressants, sleeping pills, stress relief, anxiety relief, and a whole lot more!

It is great for inducing Alpha “flow” states if you are studying/learning/practicing a skill, for inducing high energy Beta and Gamma states if you need to brainstorm or solve problems, and for accelerating Meditation practice - allowing users to achieve the benefits of profound deep trance meditation after only a few weeks of practice - instead of years...
[Sales pitch end...]

That said, you should ease into the use of any Binaural technology. Too much, too fast can cause overwork of the corpus callosum and result in headaches.

Also, keep volume levels as low as possible to avoid the possibility of hearing damage! The better binaural systems use low carrier frequencies for Theta and Delta entrainment, and it is not always obvious that the volume is too high... (The volume should be just enough that you can “hear” a warbling tone.)

Even at $40, I would still recommend trying the free options! YouTube has a wealth of excellent videos, and SBAGEN is one of the most powerful Binaural generators available - AND it’s free!

Aeneas-Having been taught from an early age “you pay now or you pay later but you will pay” the concept of no free lunch is firmly embedded.
EE is something I haven’t given an honest effort, sinus issues somewhat prevent the breathing techniques called for. Bought the disks several years ago and struggle with my diet to reduce inflammation, so I can breathe thru my nose better.
I think the ‘fault’ lie’s with me in my approach to dieting, but I have made progress in that dept and will continue.
I’m not looking to replace a modality (EE) rather adding to the toolbox.
Seems there is a fine line between ‘tools’ and ‘shortcuts/cheats‘ something worth considering. (Me)
Am currently reading the Neurofeedback thread, lots of good info.
PatonicSkeptic-
I agree completely Quantum is the new marketing buzzword at least in this environment.
woneill1701-
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, will check out your suggestions. I agree with your assessment of ”pre charged single use coils” defies my (limited) understanding...
Thanks all for the input!
Now to learn how to ” “.

A high-level comparison of some of the technologies - Nuclam, NueroOptimal, Muse, and others.

The challenge is always in the unknown effects of these technologies. I prefer to go with what C's said.
All these technologies involve bio-feedback, which is different, and complementary to, Brainwave Entrainment.

Biofeedback measures your current state. The simplest approaches use skin resistance, while the most sophisticated use EEG. They provide feedback to the user who can learn, with much practice, how to alter their mental state.

(The onus here is for the user to try different things until they stumble on an internal approach that allows them to change (and hold) their desired brain state. There is no help other than to let you know when you are doing something right.)

Even the simplest of these technologies can be very effective, and I used this technology in my early teens - under supervision of a neurologist - in an attempt to use a primitive form of Meditation to reduce the frequency/severity of migraines.

I describe the Meditation as primitive because they called it "relaxation" and did not offer any tools/techniques/processes beyond the biofeedback to achieve mental stillness. That said, I did learn over a number of months to quickly and effectively drop into, and hold, what I now know to be a deep Theta state.

Unfortunately, despite being enjoyable, the "relaxation" did not have any measurable effect on my migraines, and when the neurologist concluded that the same, I had to return the biofeedback device.

However, my knowledge of electronics allowed me to make my own device - which I used for a number of years.

Years later I learned about Meditation. In Meditation, there is generally no "feedback", but instead a prescribed set of processes/activities that, when practiced, in conjunction with learning a form of Mental Discipline, can "still" the mind and allow it to reach a particular mental state.

Meditation can be entirely passive, or entirely active, or a combination of both: Even something as simple as walking can be a form of Active Meditation that, if done right, can induce profound Alpha states...

Yoga, Tai Chi, and EE are all forms of Meditation. As is sitting still and visualizing mandalas...

The key with all forms of Meditation is that to be maximally effective, the user has to learn to catch the mind when it starts to wander, and then gently coral it back to the task of Meditation...

THIS is the discipline and practice that matters! It can take months of dedicated practice to develop!

Once you have mastered this skill, the actual form of the Meditation that is used is less important - other than the fact that the more active the form of Meditation, the higher the typical final brainwave state that is reached, and the more still the Meditation, the slower the typical frequency of the final brainwave state that is reached.

Now, Brainwave Entrainment can, if used properly, directly entrain/induce a particular brain state within a two to seven minutes - without the need for any real practice/discipline.

When used to wake you up, it can create an effect similar to an espresso shot. Used properly, it lasts for up to an hour, and has no known side-effects.

When used to induce Alpha states, it can very quickly create a "Flow State", and if used in conjunction with a regular training/practice regimen, or if used while studying, it can have real benefits - again with no known side effects.

When used to induce Theta states, a user can experience all the physiological benefits of the Theta states (the triggered release of hormones, dispersal of anxiety, and elimination of stress) without actually having to Meditate - though it works best if you are sitting comfortably and quietly - say, watching ducks at a duck pond...

Induced Delta frequencies can even be used to combat insomnia and induce sleep!

All this without the need for any drugs!

Now Brainwave Entrainment is not universally effective - in some people it has very little effect, while others can be very susceptible!

In many ways it is like hypnosis - both in terms of its effects and the underlying mechanisms it uses.

Indeed, configured correctly, a Brainewave Entrainment session CAN BE a form of non-verbal hypnotic induction!

With all this said, the best results of Brainwave Entrainment come when used in conjunction with either/both the Biofeedback technologies and/or Meditative Discipline!

The three together involve a synergy that is quite profound. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to find a safe/stable/reliable/portable/cheap EEG device that I can link to my own app - otherwise complete feedback and control of the entrainment signal would be in the next release...

In the absence of a fully closed loop system, the most effective combination that generates real, long-term, positive results from Brainwave Entrainment happens when it is combined with a disciplined practice of Meditation!

Once someone has learned to still the mind (and catch/contain it when it escapes), using Entrainment can significally accelerate the speed at which a desired target state can be achieved, and also directly specify what that target state is in terms of the exact brainwave frequencies.

Someone who has achieved the Meditative Discipline and is comfortable with the use of Entrainment can quickly drop into a profound Theta - or even Delta - state in less than a minute, and stay there for extended periods.

But there is no substitute for practice here!

It can take even a dedicated and disciplined practitioner months to achieve the necessary discipline and control - but months is still a lot better than the years it can take otherwise...

woneill1701
Thank you for the explanations, easy to understand.
In my experience it was much easier to “calm the mind” 20 years ago!
Thats why I’m looking for a ‘tool/crutch’ to facilitate the process now.
Will look into your suggestions posted earlier and follow up later.
The outside world is calling...
again thank you.

Back
Top Bottom