Observation must begin from the beginning

Nick_A said:
Paddyjohn said:
Okay, I declare this thread officially hijacked, and that's very good for my self-importance :) To be honest I'm pleased that this has evolved into a more general study of the title statement. It's easy enough for me to start a thread somewhere else if I feel the need. In fact I will because I am about to do something that will alter my direction. As Laura said ...if you want your reality to change, then change your reality (if that's not word-for-word consider it my paraphrase)

Buddy, I am stunned by your breadth of knowledge and your mental stamina. I was also well pleased to read "...people high in a need for intellectual cognition or working memory have the greatest disparity between their external-explicit and internal-implicit dispositions. I have found this to be more or less true with myself and have dedicated my current aim to closing this gap; thus the reference to growth of being. Nick_A? ;)

Nick_A, I'm glad you are still here and haven't been put off by our questions. They are all well-meant. Now stop being so stubborn, tear yourself away from Simone for a while, and read The Wave series.

Hello, Amy, and welcome.

There is no reason to be put off by questions. I've always been the one who could poke holes in modern theories. I was amazed and gratified to discover that the Work could include my questions. Everything fit. I never thought it could be possible. I always welcome questions.

I've been reading a little and am relieved that channeling is not accepted hook, line, and sinker by Laura. After reading what happened to Helen Shucman and her channeling leading to "A Course in Miracles" I am very wary of channeling. However, a conscious connection with "help from above" is also a conscious human potential as with St. Paul experiencing Jesus. The idea of the wave fits in with my own personal research as does our materiality serving as food so I'll read the wave series.

And there are probably other issues that will be clarified regarding Laura and this community. The best way to do that is by reading The Wave. So I am very happy that's what you are going to do.

I agree - there is no need to be put off by questions. Many people are though. Just glad you aren't.

Amy said:
You speak of being balanced and in lined with the forces - which relates to fruitful Timing ...
and your reply was posted on 05:05:05 AM , how did you do that ? Interesting!!!

Hi Amy. I don't know. If there is any meaning to that, apparently it wasn't for me.

---------------------

Paddyjohn said:
Okay, I declare this thread officially hijacked, and that's very good for my self-importance :)

Even so, my apologies. Hijacking is generally frowned upon around here.

Paddyjohn said:
I am stunned by your breadth of knowledge and your mental stamina.

I Work out. Seriously though, I judge from my own posts that I still need a lot of Work on detail and my own self-importance.

Paddyjohn said:
I am about to do something that will alter my direction. As Laura said ...if you want your reality to change, then change your reality (if that's not word-for-word consider it my paraphrase)

What do you mean?

Buddy said:
Amy said:
You speak of being balanced and in lined with the forces - which relates to fruitful Timing ...
and your reply was posted on 05:05:05 AM , how did you do that ? Interesting!!!

Hi Amy. I don't know. If there is any meaning to that, apparently it wasn't for me.

---------------------

Paddyjohn said:
Okay, I declare this thread officially hijacked, and that's very good for my self-importance :)

Even so, my apologies. Hijacking is generally frowned upon around here.

Paddyjohn said:
I am stunned by your breadth of knowledge and your mental stamina.

I Work out. Seriously though, I judge from my own posts that I still need a lot of Work on detail and my own self-importance.

Paddyjohn said:
I am about to do something that will alter my direction. As Laura said ...if you want your reality to change, then change your reality (if that's not word-for-word consider it my paraphrase)

What do you mean?

Hi Buddy. Regarding the change of reality, I posted about it yesterday in the private members forum because it is related to my job so a bit paranoid about posting on public forum. I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts in response to it but then remembered you aren't a member with access to that forum. In fact that's a question I've been meaning to ask you. It may be a question you don't want to answer. If that's the case I'll understand completely. I'll ask it anyway. Why have you not joined the FOTCM?

As for my job it was full steam ahead to break away from the system I slave for - typical ponerised hierarchy - and go off into the sunset, work in a people or animal care capacity, skint but happy. I asked for advice in terms of UK employment law. What I got is opposition to my plan. The general consensus is that I should stay in the job, reap the financial rewards (wages going up) and battle against the petty tyrants that are rife there.

At first I was speechless. Basically I'm getting the impression that they are saying "stop being a big woos, man-up, and go back in there fighting" - the old resistance/everybody's against me mechanism kicked in at first, only briefly though. I was thinking ...they obviously don't understand my position. I am a veteran fighter... done my time ... entitled to some peace now ... blah blah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: On top of all that my wife is of the same mind as them.

And I am now thinking they may be right. I got it wrong yet again :cry: Do you ever wish you could lay down and go to sleep, permanently?

Paddyjohn said:
Hi Buddy. Regarding the change of reality, I posted about it yesterday in the private members forum because it is related to my job so a bit paranoid about posting on public forum. I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts in response to it but then remembered you aren't a member with access to that forum. In fact that's a question I've been meaning to ask you. It may be a question you don't want to answer. If that's the case I'll understand completely. I'll ask it anyway. Why have you not joined the FOTCM?

I emailed an app when they first started offering. I think there were some glitches or something going on at the time. I never heard back. That was actually a relief to my way of thinking at that time as I was clueless as to why anyone would want me as a member anyway. I knew that, for various reasons, I would be irregular at any activity and unreliable in ways because that's the way I've been letting life run me for a long time. I may be asking again soon, though.

Paddyjohn said:
As for my job it was full steam ahead to break away from the system I slave for - typical ponerised hierarchy - and go off into the sunset, work in a people or animal care capacity, skint but happy. I asked for advice in terms of UK employment law. What I got is opposition to my plan. The general consensus is that I should stay in the job, reap the financial rewards (wages going up) and battle against the petty tyrants that are rife there.

Well, that may be a combination of good economic advice and Work advice from an esoteric 'warrior' perspective. To quote from the figurative Don Juan in the aptly titled The Fire From Within, "Nothing can temper the spirit of a warrior as much as the challenge of dealing with impossible people in positions of power. Only under those conditions can warriors acquire the sobriety and serenity to stand the pressure of the unknowable."

It's also consistent with Gurdjieff on essence when he says there are more chances of its development in men who live nearer to nature in difficult conditions of constant struggle and danger.

If you haven't read The Fire From Within, you can find some highlights here:
_http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienciareal/esp_donjuan7.htm

...and, of course, the full strategy is featured as Chapter 7 of Adventures With Cassiopaea:
http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/adventures046.htm

Paddyjohn said:
At first I was speechless. Basically I'm getting the impression that they are saying "stop being a big woos, man-up, and go back in there fighting" - the old resistance/everybody's against me mechanism kicked in at first, only briefly though. I was thinking ...they obviously don't understand my position. I am a veteran fighter... done my time ... entitled to some peace now ... blah blah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, hopefully you understand that people most likely didn't have "woos" in mind? :)

Paddyjohn said:
On top of all that my wife is of the same mind as them.

Feeling ganged up on? ;)

Paddyjohn said:
And I am now thinking they may be right. I got it wrong yet again :cry: Do you ever wish you could lay down and go to sleep, permanently?

Yep, been there, and starting from an early age. Nothing wrong with some good rest as alternative, though. Recharging the large accumulator and all our centers requires it and I don't know that there's a pre-set amount of time for 'fill-ups' that's standard for everyone, everywhere, in all circumstances.

It looks like we've got it made, though, compared to our Most Great and Most Most Holy Sun Absolute.

Interestingly, in my understanding of Gurdjieff's Cosmology, even "God" cannot rest, or abandon active Will long enough to rest. When the original modifications were made to time allowing for our multi-verse to spring into being, God, in contrast to Godhead, (Isvara in contrast to Brahman) became "lower" and subject to laws of becoming rather than pure intention (“Theomertmalogos”). Since the original system (Autoegocrat) was redesigned (Trogoautoegocrat) and the new system specified expanding, reciprocally maintained cosmoses, quietism is nowhere in G's picture. Novelty must be continuously remade, else our universe would close on itself and die a death like that which awaits all beings under the guise of the Heropass.

Just some thoughts based on my readings, interpretations and current level of understanding.

Buddy said:
Paddyjohn said:

I emailed an app when they first started offering. I think there were some glitches or something going on at the time. I never heard back. That was actually a relief to my way of thinking at that time as I was clueless as to why anyone would want me as a member anyway. I knew that, for various reasons, I would be irregular at any activity and unreliable in ways because that's the way I've been letting life run me for a long time. I may be asking again soon, though.

:D I laughed out loud at that. It's said that the best humour arises both through the delivery of the speaker, and recognition in the listener. That line is classic, Buddy. Dead-pan delivery of objective, insightful truth, honest and unfiltered, based on self-observation. And of course recognition of it in oneself, the listener, (me in this case) brings on the laughter of relief and comfort in familiarity. Excuse the analysis of why you had me chortling. I just felt the need to work out exactly why I enjoyed those words.

I would be very surprised if that's how you see it now though. From all I've read of your interaction with others here, including Laura and elders, you are held in very high regard and affection. My two cents.

Paddyjohn said:

Well, that may be a combination of good economic advice and Work advice from an esoteric 'warrior' perspective. To quote from the figurative Don Juan in the aptly titled The Fire From Within, "Nothing can temper the spirit of a warrior as much as the challenge of dealing with impossible people in positions of power. Only under those conditions can warriors acquire the sobriety and serenity to stand the pressure of the unknowable."

It's also consistent with Gurdjieff on essence when he says there are more chances of its development in men who live nearer to nature in difficult conditions of constant struggle and danger.

If you haven't read The Fire From Within, you can find some highlights here:
_http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienciareal/esp_donjuan7.htm

...and, of course, the full strategy is featured as Chapter 7 of Adventures With Cassiopaea:
http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/adventures046.htm

Well that just confirms it for me. I let tiredness and emotional thinking get the better of me. Back into the fray I go. But better armed I think. I will be buying The Fire From Within, and will read Chapter 7 of Adventures again, in the light of what I now know, today. Thanks.

Paddyjohn said:
At first I was speechless. Basically I'm getting the impression that they are saying "stop being a big woos, man-up, and go back in there fighting" - the old resistance/everybody's against me mechanism kicked in at first, only briefly though. I was thinking ...they obviously don't understand my position. I am a veteran fighter... done my time ... entitled to some peace now ... blah blah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, hopefully you understand that people most likely didn't have "woos" in mind? :)

Hmm. To be honest I don't know the exact meaning of that term. In view of that maybe I shouldn't have used it. To me, at the moment, it means soft or weak ... Oh no :-[ I just looked it up on slang dictionary. I could only find a derivative of the term - 'woo' which refers to female genitalia. No doubt the term I used refers to the same. My instant reaction is to beat myself up, but I'll take a less painful alternative and see it as a lesson (yet another one) to be sure of what I'm posting. Thanks for flagging it.

*EDIT* Read this line again and started giggling "Now, hopefully you understand that people most likely didn't have "woos" in mind? :) "
:lol: yes, I do now! :lol:

Paddyjohn said:
On top of all that my wife is of the same mind as them.

Feeling ganged up on? ;)

At first yes. But not for long. I'm seeing it as a group of people with my best interests at heart. I hope that's accurate.

Paddyjohn said:

Yep, been there, and starting from an early age. Nothing wrong with some good rest as alternative, though. Recharging the large accumulator and all our centers requires it and I don't know that there's a pre-set amount of time for 'fill-ups' that's standard for everyone, everywhere, in all circumstances.

I'll settle for the non-permanent variety of sleep then :)

It looks like we've got it made, though, compared to our Most Great and Most Most Holy Sun Absolute.

Interestingly, in my understanding of Gurdjieff's Cosmology, even "God" cannot rest, or abandon active Will long enough to rest. When the original modifications were made to time allowing for our multi-verse to spring into being, God, in contrast to Godhead, (Isvara in contrast to Brahman) became "lower" and subject to laws of becoming rather than pure intention (“Theomertmalogos”). Since the original system (Autoegocrat) was redesigned (Trogoautoegocrat) and the new system specified expanding, reciprocally maintained cosmoses, quietism is nowhere in G's picture. Novelty must be continuously remade, else our universe would close on itself and die a death like that which awaits all beings under the guise of the Heropass.

Just some thoughts based on my readings, interpretations and current level of understanding.

For me to understand that will require study and research, Buddy. Leave it with me.

Paddyjohn said:
...will read Chapter 7 of Adventures again, in the light of what I now know, today.

And once you can combine an understanding of Gurdjieff's law of Process, law of Phenomena and the role of "timing" that's already been mentioned on this thread, it'll probably all self-org into a picture whose resolution depends solely on the amount of detail in your understanding of each context and any interrelated elements. At least, that's how it seems to work for me.

The major elements of strategy(in bold) of this process:

My instant reaction is to beat myself up...

Jeez, had I suspected you might not recognize your own phonetic spelling of "wuss", I'd have spelled it correctly just to avoid going to that scary visual place.

Hi Buddy and Paddy John. ..
Very nice thread here and especially the discussion between
you two.
I thought this forum was all about data and left brain analyzing
kind of talks... I was wrong .

Many things to learn here indeed .

Buddy said:
Paddyjohn said:
...will read Chapter 7 of Adventures again, in the light of what I now know, today.

And once you can combine an understanding of Gurdjieff's law of Process, law of Phenomena and the role of "timing" that's already been mentioned on this thread, it'll probably all self-org into a picture whose resolution depends solely on the amount of detail in your understanding of each context and any interrelated elements. At least, that's how it seems to work for me.

The major elements of strategy(in bold) of this process:

My instant reaction is to beat myself up...

Jeez, had I suspected you might not recognize your own phonetic spelling of "wuss", I'd have spelled it correctly just to avoid going to that scary visual place.

Scary indeed. If I resembled such a bodily part, as much as I revere it, I'd generate some strange looks to say the least :) Come to think of it ...

Hope I didn't cross a line there.

Right, I'm back over to Chapter 7. Thanks Buddy.

Amy said:
Hi Buddy and Paddy John. ..
Very nice thread here and especially the discussion between
you two.
I thought this forum was all about data and left brain analyzing
kind of talks... I was wrong .

Many things to learn here indeed .

Glad you're here, Amy. You're right about things to learn here. Did you read The Wave :)

Paddyjohn said:
The thought was - I wonder if the advanced ones in this community/forum do what Don Juan did to La Gorda and Castenada - ignore those here with particularly prevalent cases of self importance ...

After the first month here I began noticing a marked absence of responses to my posts. Even ones in which I provided personal information. I am talking about mods, ambassadors and Laura, rather than newbies like myself. On the rare occasions the former did respond it was to pull me up. And although I tried to suppress it, I was La Gorda. HA HA TIZ I YOU BEHOLD :evil: Unbelievable. Of course it could be my very self importance that generates this thought. But if that is a strategy by the elders etc I am blown away and deeply grateful for it.

But I can see I was/am dripping with self importance. But I realise it is far more than 'hey, I'm here, now bloody well take notice of me.' It's everything :shock:

Yes, indeedy, but you will find that the self-importance don Juan talks about eliminating is the rotten side of it. He doesn't talk much at all about any 'good' side in those terms, but I personally think it's worthwhile to grasp that he makes that distinction. After all, our goal is not annihilation of self, rather growth of being and a unified I.

A way that I currently represent this idea to myself is to see that the rotten side of self importance involves a form of self-referencing in terms of ownership - like the example of thinking as constantly taking inventory (of one's possessions from the conceptual level of so-called knowledge to the physical level)...and always thinking about what's "me, my, and mine" and expecting others to mind-read us (-->me?). There's a bit more to it, other contexts in which it's active and other ways of looking at it because like you said, it's everything, but to don Juan, it's that part that's rotten: the negative side of self-centeredness and selfishness.

You might be wondering...there's a positive side? I think so due to how important a person can become and how important he may sense himself through feedback in relation to someone or something else's survival - even his own (although the term may then change to better reflect value than a phrase like "self-importance" does). That doesn't imply a need to focus on a good self-importance though, because that self is interdependent and symbiotic with the rest of reality and anything you say or do that improves any other person or context, improves your own as well due to the fact you share the same environments. This is how serving others also serves self and is closer to the meaning of STO than anything else as far as I can tell. It's what's left if we can eliminate rotten self-importance, so why talk about it? He talks about the rotten side instead because that's where the lessons are.

Hope that makes sense. If it makes common sense, then hopefully it will help newer people.

Concerning other people's reasons for not responding to posts, let me tell you that I've read posts from Moderators down to five-post newbies saying similar things. This seems to be a universal concern to people - especially to newbies and those who retain influences from feelings of inferiority and such. I'm no exception and have also posted about this previously and elsewhere.

Rest your mind. There are many reasons why people may not respond. Most of these reasons are everyday-related to being busy, being logged on but elsewhere (me! :) ), etc. Some readers may be taking the time to really, thoughtfully consider your post in terms of what you're really asking and what you may need to hear in response. Others may simply be interested yet timid, etc., etc. You can probably think of more reasons, but on the bottom line is this: This forum has owners who have goals. This forum is a research and data-gathering forum and the purposes that activity serves is visible on the board and in the statements made by those who are ultimately responsible for all that goes on here.

Yes, we do interact and talk and mirror each other when necessary and appropriate due to the nature of our goals related to burning away falseness and becoming a unity while keeping to tenets of 'hospitality' for the general run of visitors, but I think it is also expected that we contribute to the specific goals of the network in general, and to the hosts in particular and their work - which is also our work. If any of my posts (for example) don't meet any of those requirements and there doesn't seem to be a need to respond, why do it if it would be talking for its own sake or feeding the self-importance of a poster who voluntarily participates to rid himself of that?

Ta-daaaa! Piece of cake, eh, what?

Paddyjohn said:
Glad you're here, Amy. You're right about things to learn here. Did you read The Wave :)

Paddyjohn Thank you . I read the Wave awhile ago ...
skipped many parts though .

Why did you ask !? Many here asked me that question
... Very strange i thought.

I typed a reply to you a few days ago and in a mid way
i stopped ...as i felt 'maybe i have to check the Wave again!?'

But im reading another book . :-P

Observation must begin from the beginning. But of course you must know where the beginning is. I thought I did. Turned out I didn't. Or maybe everyone has their own beginning point from which to start observing. All I know is that recently, over a period of weeks, I showed considerable internal considering. Having read about splitting it's clear that that has been involved. So I write this post in the hope that those I hurt with my internal considering can forgive and forget. I humbly ask for your help and mirrors.

The period I mentioned culminated in the realisation that I was delivering negative energy to the network, making a bit of a fool of myself, and generating noise. I decided to leave the network but found that I couldn't. So that put paid to that childish reaction - and excuse for not doing the Work. Perhaps that's what I was actually doing - trying to find an excuse for not doing the Work. I can now see that I was following my dominant program when I came here. That program involves becoming noticed. This is probably due to the fact that my life has been based on a feeling of being small and inferior. Often invisible in my earlier years.

Previously I have always achieved this, partly, by jumping in feet first and over-involving myself. The problem this has created here is that in doing so I failed to truly realise what this community is about from all my centres. I would intellectually understand this community on a certain level, but not truly feel it. Lack of feeling resulted in inappropriate contributions - internal considering etc. Sometimes I would feel it but not see it intellectually. This resulted in contributions of noise.

So I decided to cancel my membership of FotCM and just read the forum posts and SoTT. I wasn't doing too well in the forum, so what use could I be in the FotCM,and what use could the FotCM be to me. That's where I was at the time anyway. I was grateful that the confirmation message of the cancellation of my membership included an open-door invitation - that it might be possible to return to the fold. My gratitude was a signal to me.

I also now see that there was an element of expecting Laura and the elders to be perfect objects of worship. I dismissed the notion that you are all human beings. Big black and white thinking there. I've been like an unruly child. A rebellious son. It seems I had a bit of parent/child stuff to work out there. I think it has been worked out. No, I'm sure it has been worked out. It looks so ridiculous to me now.

As I read the forum everyday it became a mirror of its own - that is without direct feedback from members. I watched as new members came in, and I recognised myself in the attitudes of the more self-important ones, the splitters, the internal considerers who don't know they are missing the point. Just like I didn't. I watched my emotions react to those who seemed to be 'being nice' in order to ingratiate themselves with the network. Anger and frustration usually manifested. It was sometimes hard to resist posting in response to such activity. I asked myself why this was so. Why did it affect me so much? The answer was that I expected members to 'see' what I saw and deal with it. This would validate me and confirm my worth if only to myself. The fact that some of my 'seeing' might be distorted didn't dawn on me.

Internal considering seems very clear to me now. I have been seeing it as soon as it arises, and have been cutting it off before acting on it, in my general life outside the network. At the same time I am not under the illusion that it won't fight to manifest itself in me by the back door so to speak. I intend to remain vigilant.

I read a lot of texts on non-dualism. To me it spoke of the 'beginning' being 'nothing' - no self importance. Thinking in this way, for me, kills the desire to nurture self in terms of STS. It happens instantly. When I remember to think it of course. I react less. Talk less. Put my thoughts into words much less. Because in observing my thoughts and emotions I am coming to see that 90% of them are program-based and without any real value to my own development, or that of others. It's quite a relief actually.

A member, I think Mariama, asked once if I had been 'accused' - yes, wrongly accused at three points in my life. As a 6 year-old at school, as an 19 year-old in the army, and as a 53 year-old at work. Being accused, unjustly, seems to have been a significant phenomenon in my life. I would like to explore that sometime. That question by Mariama took insight.

Another important post I read was by someone I can't remember. I apologise for this. But she/he said that in order to understand the true meaning behind someone's post, she imagined it, and read it, in every way it could possibly be meant. She/he would then choose the most positive version. This is sheer magic.

I did Eiriu Eloas this morning, after not doing it for weeks. It was incredible. I felt as though I was breathing in life energy. I hadn't consciously realised that I was deficient in life energy. My whole body was tingling and felt whole and strong. With each breath it was like drinking cold pure water when very thirsty - but even better. Afterwards, smoking a cigarette, I felt a sudden sadness and desire to cry. It passed. Or more to the point I didn't pursue it. But I was grateful for it because I saw that Beatha is able to break through the grey thickness of my emotional fog. If emotional is what it is.

One of the reasons for posting all this is because of something I read in the Splitting thread about the dangers of lying. I have been lying by omission. Using a combination of ' I can deal myself with any problems I might have - no point in giving them to the network' and 'if I expose myself someone is bound to use it against me' I have avoided honest contribution. Of course this is fear-based - fear of feeling vulnerable. But it is a baseless fear. I don't feel that fear anymore. But again vigilance is required.

The main point that I missed was that baring one's soul so to speak can sometimes end up helping others. Realisation of this fact sort of justifies doing it for me.

But in being honest I must admit that I want the community to feel better about my presence here. I don't like this feeling of rejection, despite the fact that it's playing its part in bringing me to this point at which I feel more genuine, less harmful to the network, and saner.

I have a strong sense of wanting to contribute - especially in terms of research. I have just been made redundant and am fortunate enough to be able to own my own time and do what I want to do. For at least a year anyway. The last seven years as a manager has taken its toll on my mental/emotional/psychological health. Nothing that can't be undone. I'm undoing it now.

I've thanked the network before for your patience. I do it again now, but this time, hopefully, with a greater understanding.

First of all, I was reading other comments posted by you in this topic. One of them was related to you not having a response from a higher order member(mods, ambassadors), "rather than a "newbie" like me". I am a newbie. I am even younger than you. I do not know much, as I am still learning. But that doesn't mean that my number of posts counts. Maybe there are other newbies who spent years without registering(guest order), who might have a greater amount of knowledge and experience than other newbies here. If you are asking for some help/advices, than you should take in consideration what everybody says. You don't know what/who is going to help the most.

Paddyjohn said:
Observation must begin from the beginning. But of course you must know where the beginning is. I thought I did. Turned out I didn't. Or maybe everyone has their own beginning point from which to start observing.

I don't know if it is just the use of a combination of words, but I think that "where" should be replaced by "when" or "what" this beginning is. "But it is necessary to begin from the beginning. A man must begin observing himself as though he did not know himself at all, as though he had never observed himself."

The period I mentioned culminated in the realisation that I was delivering negative energy to the network, making a bit of a fool of myself, and generating noise. I decided to leave the network but found that I couldn't. So that put paid to that childish reaction - and excuse for not doing the Work. Perhaps that's what I was actually doing - trying to find an excuse for not doing the Work. I can now see that I was following my dominant program when I came here. That program involves becoming noticed. This is probably due to the fact that my life has been based on a feeling of being small and inferior. Often invisible in my earlier years.

You are not alone here. I am struggling with the same issues, I think my chief fault is this "mute" self-importance of being noticed. It doesn't really manifest so much in exterior as it manifests internally. That voice, "Why not me? Me, me, me!" I was also a kid that was not noticed enough, so I started to notice myself, to internally praise myself when nobody did. Now I realize that this is stalking me even now, and it manifests in ways that I am sure I am not aware of yet. I also had periods when I wanted to leave the network, and throw out the possibility of Working. I cannot say that I really started to Work properly, because I want to achieve the best of it. I want to Work out mercilessly, to regain what was lost or damaged in me.

In Meetings with Remarkable Men there is a nice dialogue between G's father and the Father Borsh:
" Father Borsh: Where is God just now?
Gurdjieff's Father: God, just now, is in Sarykamich.
FB: What is God Doing there?
GF: He is making double ladders. On the tops of them, He is fixing happiness.
FB: And why is God doing that?
GF: So that people and nations can go up and down."
There can be moments in life when there is enough strength and intent to accomplish aims, but also moments when everything fails. This is why I think that when one is trying to reach higher on a ladder he must also look down to see how hard he will crash if he will fall from it. Just a thought about keeping a balance.

Previously I have always achieved this, partly, by jumping in feet first and over-involving myself. The problem this has created here is that in doing so I failed to truly realise what this community is about from all my centres. I would intellectually understand this community on a certain level, but not truly feel it. Lack of feeling resulted in inappropriate contributions - internal considering etc. Sometimes I would feel it but not see it intellectually. This resulted in contributions of noise.

I also now see that there was an element of expecting Laura and the elders to be perfect objects of worship. I dismissed the notion that you are all human beings. Big black and white thinking there. I've been like an unruly child. A rebellious son. It seems I had a bit of parent/child stuff to work out there. I think it has been worked out. No, I'm sure it has been worked out. It looks so ridiculous to me now.

Maybe this is a result of over-judging, categorizing others by their responses and contributions. Sometimes it happens also in my case, but when I have a general look on the forum I can see a group of people who have good intentions to reach their aims. Nobody is perfect here, and I don't think perfection is what these people are looking for. It might be a change or an improvement. Some people here put accent on intellectual stuff, others want to work their emotional issues etc. For me, this forum looks like an organism, and we are cells trying to make this organism work properly.

As I read the forum everyday it became a mirror of its own - that is without direct feedback from members. I watched as new members came in, and I recognised myself in the attitudes of the more self-important ones, the splitters, the internal considerers who don't know they are missing the point. Just like I didn't. I watched my emotions react to those who seemed to be 'being nice' in order to ingratiate themselves with the network. Anger and frustration usually manifested. It was sometimes hard to resist posting in response to such activity. I asked myself why this was so. Why did it affect me so much? The answer was that I expected members to 'see' what I saw and deal with it. This would validate me and confirm my worth if only to myself. The fact that some of my 'seeing' might be distorted didn't dawn on me.

You cannot know exactly if those who seemed to be "nice" were just like that "in order to ingratiate themselves with the network". Some of them maybe do appreciate more than you are capable of appreciating. If that something helped them, or made their day, I do not see any reasons for your anger. But sometimes, some people here really do this because they are wishful thinkers and they hope to "look good" on this forum, even though these things won't work for a long time. "Everybody wants a piece of the pie, but when it comes to really contribute with something you keep skipping it". That's when the ones with courage will always show up, and the cowards will just vanish. I think it also affected you because of your wish to be noticed, to be approved.

Another important post I read was by someone I can't remember. I apologise for this. But she/he said that in order to understand the true meaning behind someone's post, she imagined it, and read it, in every way it could possibly be meant. She/he would then choose the most positive version. This is sheer magic.

It might be sheer magic, but trying to read in every way it could possibly be meant(without choosing the most positive version) is also a method of understanding another, in order to give the best response. How can I try to understand what you are writing here, if I am not placing my foot in your shoe, even if a little bit?

One of the reasons for posting all this is because of something I read in the Splitting thread about the dangers of lying. I have been lying by omission. Using a combination of ' I can deal myself with any problems I might have - no point in giving them to the network' and 'if I expose myself someone is bound to use it against me' I have avoided honest contribution. Of course this is fear-based - fear of feeling vulnerable. But it is a baseless fear. I don't feel that fear anymore. But again vigilance is required.

This is very very true, I must thank you for writing this. It is also a problem I am dealing with sometimes. I have to learn to be as open as possible. It is the fear of the predator of being uncovered.

But in being honest I must admit that I want the community to feel better about my presence here. I don't like this feeling of rejection, despite the fact that it's playing its part in bringing me to this point at which I feel more genuine, less harmful to the network, and saner.

I have a strong sense of wanting to contribute - especially in terms of research. I have just been made redundant and am fortunate enough to be able to own my own time and do what I want to do. For at least a year anyway. The last seven years as a manager has taken its toll on my mental/emotional/psychological health. Nothing that can't be undone. I'm undoing it now.

I don't think anyone rejects you here. It is only you that has to choose what to contribute with, when you have something meaningful to say to others and how to say it. People will help you when they can(also good to take in mind, nobody is obliged to say something just because you demand a response). It takes time and energy to give responses to ones situation.

Hopefully I said something that can help you. Again, thanks for what you said up there. It is also a great opportunity for me to put in writing my opinions, I am learning to help others, so on this way I am making mistakes.
Ed

Mr. Premise said:
Welcome back, Paddyjohn. Seems like you have had some good realizations.

Thanks Mr Premise. Hoping there are a few more on the way.

Back
Top Bottom