Paleo Women/Diet and Menstruation

I started my period when I was eleven. I remember going down to the basement where my mother was washing clothes and telling her I found blood on my underwear. She just handed me the proper "accessories" and shooed me off cause she was "busy." I had the only the vaguest notion of what was going on because she never really had "the talk" with me since she thought all that stuff was taboo to discuss.

My health issues started early in life, systemic candida since I was about 10, as we ate tons and tons of sugar and carbs, and I was stressed out for my entire childhood and beyond because of certain physical issues and verbal bullying by other children, so cortisol and hormone imbalances developed early on. I had iridology done in my early 40s, was told my adrenals were shot back then but I didn't have a clue what that even meant.

I guess all this wore away at me till I started having irregular periods in my early 40s and was finished with them entirely by about 46. It's been downhill ever since!! :lol:

I didn't get my period until I was almost 15, and it made me feel very uncomfortable, because everybody else my age had gotten theirs. So I lied that it happened to me too :-[ My mother was also concerned, and she took me to the doctor to see if there was something the matter, which made me even more scared that there was something wrong with me. I didn't feel better even after the doctor said that all was well, and that I was normal and soon to get my period. When it finally came, I was very happy and relieved. And I had no pain or discomfort, no symptom whatsoever, until my early twenties when I was living in NYC, and decided to become a vegetarian. That's when the irregularity, disabling PMS pain and mood swings begun. I remember being unable to stand up at all from the pain, and I even missed uni classes because of it. I couldn't understand why.

It was only this year, after reading the Vegetarian Myth, that I learned what tofu/soy consumption does to our hormones and reproductive organs, and finally now I have the answer to my "why's" from ten years ago! Because in my vegetarian days, I consumed a lot of tofu-dogs, and tofu-burgers, etc, plus I ate a lot of starch (pastas, breads and muffins mostly) to satisfy the hunger that came in the absence of meat consumption. So yes, from my experience I know that diet does play a huge role in our menstrual cycles and their "quality".

Alana said:
It was only this year, after reading the Vegetarian Myth, that I learned what tofu/soy consumption does to our hormones and reproductive organs, and finally now I have the answer to my "why's" from ten years ago! Because in my vegetarian days, I consumed a lot of tofu-dogs, and tofu-burgers, etc, plus I ate a lot of starch (pastas, breads and muffins mostly) to satisfy the hunger that came in the absence of meat consumption. So yes, from my experience I know that diet does play a huge role in our menstrual cycles and their "quality".

Oh my gosh yes. I'd read that soy isoflavones were good for hot flashes and I bought the highest dosage I could find and swallowed them down like there was no tomorrow! Although I was not a vegetarian, I didn't eat much red meat and also ate a LOT of pasta and carbs and sugar. I would buy a couple bags of cookies and sit down with a good book and chomp my way through them all. As a kid, my mother restricted desserts so I would sneak them in and hide them under my bed, back in those days you could get a POUND bag of M&M's chocolates for a quarter, and there was a store right down the road I used to walk to daily. Later from my 20s to early 40s, I used to go out to bars every weekend and drink myself silly.

Sheesh, what a beating my poor body has taken! No wonder I went into early memopause.

update: cycle didn't came. Wow first time ever in life that I don't have it for a month. I've had it twice a month before but never gone without it. :cool:

[quote author=alana]When it finally came, I was very happy and relieved. And I had no pain or discomfort, no symptom whatsoever[/quote]
Happy that it was pain free at least at the beginning.

Wow just realized that eating soy products when living with J made me moody.
He always said with a nasty face "that bean*** is not milk get it out of our fridge, is enough that you have us eating leaves and twigs." Thanks for the reminder of how evil soy made me feel.

:flowers: semi-off topic:
how many ladies use moon/diva cups or keeper?
sample of one, _http://www.mooncup.com/ there are many other companies that make or distribute them.

I tried them but they're way too big, so I use natracare pads and for swimming their tampons. Also tried the organic moon pads but I'm not organized enough to keep up with those.

kokiri said:
:flowers: semi-off topic:
how many ladies use moon/diva cups or keeper?
sample of one, _http://www.mooncup.com/ there are many other companies that make or distribute them.

I tried them but they're way too big, so I use natracare pads and for swimming their tampons. Also tried the organic moon pads but I'm not organized enough to keep up with those.

I have one, but haven't tried it yet. I use washable pads of cotton to keep the amount of rubbish lower. They're better than those made of plastic and paper, too. It is also possible to use washable tampons made of sea swamp.

Back to topic, I haven't seen any change in my period after changing diet. I started rather late (as compared to other females in my country nowadays), at fifteen, and usually I do not have much pain.

However, I can lower the amount of carbs in my diet even more, and see what's happen. Maybe there's still too much, some overabundance in carbs, as compared to this interesting quote from Gertrudes:
I'm relating these two quotes through the word gluttony mentioned by the Cs. This makes me think again about that possible link between overabundance and overall excessive reproduction. A different mechanism kicks in, that of abusing the goddess, instead of feeding from her by taking only what is needed. The latter would be mirrored by what one "puts out in the world" so to say, that is: only enough children. The organism seems to be, also in this latter case, less busy with reproduction and can, therefore, work on more regenerative and healing functions.

I just tried the moon cup for the first time last week. I have to say that I wasnt too impressed. I got size A for post birth though Ive never had children. The instructions recommended women over thirty get size A. I dont think this moon cup has the capacity to handle my heavy flow day. I had a couple of leakage incidents. This happened at home thankfully. On lighter days there still did not seem to be a tight seal. There was always a bit of leakage. I figure if you have to wear a pad as well the product doesnt work as it should. Or maybe the cup is too large despite my age.

I started period early when I was 11 years old.
I remember how scared I was and my mom told me to nothing worry about it's natural.
I'm 44 years old and started the low carb diet in May.
My period is not what it's used to be.
I had period in July and last time in October.
I can say menstruation for me in every 3 month no pain whatsoever. :cool2:
Will see what happens!

The books I ordered from the library came in this week. I'll list them here in case anyone is interested in having a look through:

Human Birth: An Evolutionary Perspective
Wenda R. Travathan

Blood Magic: The Anthropology of Menstruation
Thomas Buckley & Alma Gottlieb

Ancient Bodies, Modern Lives: How Evolution has Shaped Women's Health
Wenda Travathan

Earth: Pleiadian Keys to the Living Library
Barbara Marciniak (see current thoughts on this book in this thread)

Human Birth is about the birth process and mother-infant interaction from an evolutionary perspective. It's off topic but may still be interesting.

Blood Magic deals with menstruation and universal female subordination. It examines this from various cultural perspectives.

Ancient Bodies seems to come the closest so far as she asks the question ""Do PMS and postpartum depression have specific functions?" While she gives a nod to diet and changes in hunter/gatherer societies, so far she seems to come to the conclusion of other researchers which is unfortunately hampered by lack of knowledge of what a true Paleo diet should look like, previous information that may have been ponerized and/or personal assumptions - whether her own or passed down from others. I'm only on the second chapter though and will keep reading.

Earth concerns itself with "Goddess energies and the power of blood connections to our DNA and our heritage".

I'm still waiting for Red Flower to arrive which may get closer to the answers we're seeking. I'm also seeking books by Margaret Mead in the meantime.

It's interesting how many researchers ask what I think are relevant questions but somewhere along the line take a left turn into misogyny, hatred of men or new age. To me, this means that something crucial is attempting to be hidden.

While doing various searches for iron and hormones and what they do for the body as well as affecting menses in terms of hard science, again I found that, as usual, so far there seems to be no one good source but perhaps bits and pieces of truth can be found among the disinformation (So just bear with me a while longer while I try to find that info). I figured at that point, there was some term that I was ignorant of that was adding to the difficulty and so I went to the C's transmissions for clues. I thought the below was interesting. All emphasis mine:

Q: What, precisely, is the GONG project doing?
A: Magnetic frequency. Measurements for possible future use.
Q: Future use for what purpose?
A: Discovery. Oh, you are so "brilliant."
Q: Is brilliant the code word for the discovery here?
A: You will see.
Q: You guys are so funny! Next: Is there any relation
between the dietary restrictions of the Jews and the
instructions for animal sacrifice on the alter as
delivered in the book of Leviticus, and the present day
cattle mutilations and possible use of humans for food?
A: Disconnected variables.
Q: Okay, let's back up: is there any relationship between the
instructions for animal sacrifice and the cattle mutes?
A: Only in the general sense of enzyme actions upon
leukocytes.
Q: Does that mean that the instructions for preparation of
sacrificial animals were designed to prepare them for
alien 'food?'
A: More for energy transfer.
Q: Do you mean energy transfer in the a) sense of the
transfer of the energy of the animal through the
sacrifice, or b) the transfer of the energy of the human
performing the sacrifice into the animal, and then through
the animal to the alien (and I am using the term alien in
its broadest sense) ?
A: Why not both?
Q: The next thing is the dietary restrictions. Many cultures
eat rabbits and pigs, in specific, those of Aryan
extraction. The rabbit was sacred to Athena, and the
Celts at a LOT of pork. Yet, here these items are
restricted from the diet of the Jews. Is there any
relation between the diet as outlined here, and the Aryan
genetic tendencies to conquest and domination?
A: Trichinosis used to be nonexistent in Aryan types... But,
mixing of genetic factors eliminated this.
Q: So, the Jews were susceptible to trichonosis, and the
Aryans were not?
A: Originally.
Q: So, it was necessary for the Jews not to eat the pork, but
not for the Aryans, and the mixing caused susceptibility.
In a general sense, are strong Aryan genetics indicative
of the necessity for the consumption of meat?
A: In a sense, but pescadorial features substitute semi-
adequately.
Q: Pescadorial. Semi-adequately. What needed to be added so
that the substitution would be not just semi-adequate, but
totally adequate?
A: Iron/protein levels.

Q: So, it is the iron that the Celts need? Well, that brings
me to the next question: In all the Celtic folklore when
they talk about 'fairies,' which are obviously other
density beings very similar to our modern 'Gray alien,'
these fairy/slash aliens insist that no iron come near
them in any way. It was also said that bringing iron into
contact with someone thought to be a 'changeling' would
prove whether or not they were because if they were, they
would disappear instantly. Also, the instructions for the
building of the Temple of Solomon included restrictions on
the use of iron in either the preparation of the materials
or the putting together of the building itself, even down
to the rejection of the use of iron nails in any part.
What is the significance of this restriction on the use of
iron by these other density beings, whoever they are?
A: Bloodline trails.
Q: Are you saying that... I don't understand... not even well
enough to frame another question...
A: You will, my dear, oh will you!
Q: If it was necessary for the Aryans to have iron... okay,
maybe the iron is something that interacts...
A: What about iron as an element?
Q: Okay, let's see: Iron - derived from early Celt 'iserno,'
via Illyrian 'eisarno' from the IndoEuropean base 'eis,'
which means to 'move vigorously; strong, holy.' It is a
white, malleable, ductile, metallic chemical element that
can be readily magnetized, rusts rapidly in moist or salty
air, and is vital to plant and animal life; it is the
most common and important of all metals, and its alloys,
as steel, are extensively used. Symbol: Fe; atomic
weight:55.847; atomic number: 26; specific gravity: 7.86;
melting point: 1535 degrees Centigrade; boiling point
3,000 degrees C. The electron shells are thus: 2,14,8,2.
Iron is an element of blood, hemoglobin, and is easily
magnetized... there is some new work about iron and
magnetite in the brains of people who are psychic or have
'abduction' experiences... is it the magnetism?
A: Yes....

Q: Is it something that holds one more firmly in 3rd density,
and the elimination of it enables one to switch
densities... or...
A: Tis magnetite that acts as a conduit, and perhaps, just
perhaps, allows for transference back and forth at will?!?
And what about the legend about the alchemists? Is not
the key term there really transformation?!?
And has not
the "smoke screen" really been delivered so effectively by
all the concentration upon the substance?!? And does not
this remind one indeed of all the misguided concentration
upon substance rather than meaning that one finds so
regularly on 3rd density??
Q: I get it! So, it is the magnetite in the body, that
collects and holds the charge, and it has absolutely
nothing to do with an external substance at all! Is that
it?

A: You are getting "warmer."
Q: Am I right, we need more iron for magnetite, or am I
completely off base here?
A: You are right, but, do not underestimate the significance
of that just delivered!
What better deception than to
divert the meaning of alchemy, by focusing upon substance,
then addicting those souls bound to 3rd density to the
substance?
Q: Okay, it is the magnetite that acts as a conduit. And the
concentration is upon the substance, that is, the
magnetite. Let me conjecture that the thing that is
believed to be distilled out of the alchemical operations
is magnetite, is that correct?
A: No, because no need, if not deceived by other efforts.
Q: Were these other efforts involved with sexual function?
A: More like the results of same.

http://www.cassiopaea.com/archive/mostletters7.htm

So it seems that iron is needed for the body in more ways than is commonly understood. Perhaps it's the magnetite that's also crucial here? Interesting that so many people have iron deficiency which I think is by design.

In quite a few of the writings I came across, women were considered to be especially powerful around menses (I'll be rereading some of these and will provide links later). Could it be that that during this time while women were using it to reflect and possibly gain knowledge, this was seen as a threat? It would make sense then, that this would not only need to be controlled but a concerted effort would also be required to generate negative feelings surrounding menses which then over time (with the beginnings of agriculture) would lead to the cooperation of women hating the cycle enough to want to control it as well.

I'm making quite a few connections that I hope will be relavent but want to be sure before I go further and also see what others think.

edit: added info on the Barbara Marciniak book

Truth Seeker said:
Could it be that that during this time while women were using it to reflect and possibly gain knowledge, this was seen as a threat? It would make sense then, that this would not only need to be controlled but a concerted effort would also be required to generate negative feelings surrounding menses which then over time (with the beginnings of agriculture) would lead to the cooperation of women hating the cycle enough to want to control it as well.

This is to be taken with a major grain of salt (with a handful of salt, really), but I thought I would throw it in the mix anyway: Pre-Sott, I had read Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now. This is Love and Light stuff but at some point, he talks about the 'pain body', which, I would find out later thanks to the SOTT, is basically a definition of the predator's mind.

This accumulated pain is a negative energy field that occupies your body and mind. If you look on it as an invisible entity in its own right, you are getting quite close to the truth. It's the emotional pain body. It has two modes of being: dormant and active.

The pain body wants to survive, just like every other entity in existence, and it can only survive if it gets you to unconsciously identify with it. It can then rise up, take you over, "become you," and live through you. It needs to get its "food" through you. It will feed on any experience that resonates with its own kind of energy, anything that creates further pain in whatever form: anger, destructiveness, hatred, grief, emotional drama, violence, and even illness.

So the pain body, when it has taken you over, will create a situation in your life that reflects back its own energy frequency for it to feed on. Pain can only feed on pain. Pain cannot feed on joy. It finds it quite indigestible.

Once the pain body has taken you over, you want more pain. You become a victim or a perpetrator. You want to inflict pain, or you want to suffer pain, or both. There isn't really much difference between the two. You are not conscious of this, of course, and will vehemently claim that you do not want pain. But look closely and you will that your thinking and behavior are designed to keep the pain going, for yourself and others.

If you were truly conscious of it, the pattern would dissolve, for to want more pain is insanity, and nobody is consciously insane.
The pain body, which is the dark shadow cast by the ego, is actually afraid of the light of your consciousness. It is afraid of being found out. Its survival depends on your unconscious identification with it, as well as on your unconscious fear of facing the the pain that lives in you. But if you don't face it, if you don't bring the light of your consciousness into the pain, you will be forced to relive it again and again. The pain body may seem to you like a dangerous monster that you cannot bear to look at, but I assure you that it is an insubstantial phantom that cannot prevail against the power of your presence..

So the pain body doesn't want you to observe it directly and see it for what it is. The moment you observe, feel its energy field within you, and take your attention into it, the identification is broken. A higher dimension of consciousness has come in. I call it presence.

You are now the witness or the watcher of the pain body. This means that it cannot use you anymore by pretending to be you, and it can no longer replenish itself through you. You have found your own inner strength. You have accessed the power of Now.
Unconsciousness creates it; consciousness transmutes it into itself.

The pain body consists of trapped life-energy that has split off from your total energy field and has temporarily become autonomous through the unnatural process of mind identification. It has turned in on itself and become anti-life, like an animal trying to devour its own tail. Why do you think our civilization has become so life-destructive?
But even the life-destructive forces are still life-energy.

Let me summarize the process. Focus attention on the feeling inside you. Know that it is the pain body. Accept that it is there. Don't think about it - don't let the feeling turn into thinking. Don't judge or analyze. Don't make an identity for yourself out of it. Stay present, and continue to be the observer of what is happening inside you. Become aware not only of the emotional pain but also of "the one who observes," the silent watcher.

This is the power of the Now, the power of your own conscious presence. Then see what happens.

For many women, the pain body awakens particularly at the time preceding the menstrual flow....If you are able to stay alert and present at that time and watch whatever you feel within, rather then be taken over by it, it affords an opportunity for the most powerful spiritual practice, and a rapid transmutation of all past pain becomes possible.

From: Companion Tape to The Power of Now via detoxifynow.com

This last part had struck me at the time but I did not really know what to make of it. So, maybe during this special time of the month, women are more capable of conquering the predator's mind. This could be part of the reason why women wanted to isolate themselves during this time, to be able to observe it and conquering it?

Edit: reference

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
This last part had struck me at the time but I did not really know what to make of it. So, maybe during this special time of the month, women are more capable of conquering the predator's mind. This could be part of the reason why women wanted to isolate themselves during this time, to be able to observe it and conquering it?

Well if I look at my own experience while menstruating, I see there is a significant change in me, first of all my body sensations became stronger, I have a great feeling of being inside my body, of being in intimate relationship and "possesion" if that makes sense. I feel charged with force wich decreases as I menstruum.

Also my perception is sharpened, it is easier to pick up hostile presences and underlying dynamics.

I even feel between two worlds sometimes and I need to put a clear intent in mind to not feel dragged by any of them and stay in the middle. With this, some way, the "playing nice" program is countered by a strong sense of self, of staying my ground, of inner freedom to be.

So, I'm aware of a clear distinctive state, which I used to decline in the past trying to eliminate the pain and forgeting the need of connection with my body.

Truth Seeker
http://www.cassiopaea.com/archive/mostletters7.htm

So it seems that iron is needed for the body in more ways than is commonly understood. Perhaps it's the magnetite that's also crucial here? Interesting that so many people have iron deficiency which I think is by design.

In quite a few of the writings I came across, women were considered to be especially powerful around menses (I'll be rereading some of these and will provide links later). Could it be that that during this time while women were using it to reflect and possibly gain knowledge, this was seen as a threat? It would make sense then, that this would not only need to be controlled but a concerted effort would also be required to generate negative feelings surrounding menses which then over time (with the beginnings of agriculture) would lead to the cooperation of women hating the cycle enough to want to control it as well.

I'm making quite a few connections that I hope will be relavent but want to be sure before I go further and also see what others think.

Thank you Truth Seeker~ Many provocative connections are being made...really got my brain moving! A thought that came to me immediately upon reading your post, is that there is possibly a build up of iron in women just before their period. This would seem then, to indicate a very powerful time for women and a need for withdrawal with other women from everyday life--pre-menses (PMS.) Then, as the blood is released, perhaps in paleo times, in shorter and painless cycles, women were together to pool their knowledge (pun intended.) That sure would seem to be very threatening to the PTB patriarchy.

Mrs Tigersoap
For many women, the pain body awakens particularly at the time preceding the menstrual flow....If you are able to stay alert and present at that time and watch whatever you feel within, rather then be taken over by it, it affords an opportunity for the most powerful spiritual practice, and a rapid transmutation of all past pain becomes possible.

From: Companion Tape to The Power of Now via detoxifynow.com

Yes! Maybe they were doing this not only for themselves, but acting as shamans, for the tribe as well?
That leads me to a thought about older menopausal women and how often it is heard that this time of life is about the 'wise woman'--the Witch, the Crone, etc. Is it because the blood is no longer lost, but held in? These women might have been the elders of the tribe?

So, it could be that the time of pre-flow and flow are good for rapid transmutation, as well as menopause and post menopause. I wonder if menopause was a more graceful and easier transition in the paleo diet times--these days it is made out to be another curse women must suffer and go through, fraught with many difficulties--like a long PMS.

All this seems to be connected to the hormones and DNA as well. Thank you for the research.

truth seeker said:

Very interesting connections truth seeker.
It made me think of birds and how magnetite seems to play a role in their sense of direction when migrating. I wonder how it may affect the human brain, particularly now with the weakening of earth's magnetic field.

I find it interesting that:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_deficiency_anemia said:
Iron is available in two forms heme and nonheme. Heme forms of iron are found in meat and poultry and are absorbed quite easily by the body. Nonheme iron is found in vegetable and grains and is absorbed less readily.

On a slightly different note, this may add to the discussion of regularity of menstrual cycles:

_http://www.astrology-research.net/researchlibrary/Iatr/pineal.htm said:
The change of the intensity of ambient lighting with season has long been considered to be a possible source of antigonadal activity in humans as well as animals and, in the late nineteenth century, a description was given in the medical literature of how Eskimo women ceased menstruation in the long winter nights of the Arctic (Cook, 1884).
Additional evidence was produced for a seasonal factor linked to reproduction and photoperiod when a positive bias towards summer conceptions in Finland was demonstrated, which showed an increase at more northerly latitudes. The fact that the incidence of multiple pregnancies was also increased at these latitudes strongly suggested that this was not an effect due to seasonal social influences, but that it was a true physiological effect due to an increased fertility associated with the longer periods of daylight that occur in the summer (Timonen & Carpen, 1968).
Other studies in humans suggested a possibly related phenomenon at work that also linked light to human reproductive processes.

Considering that we have extended Summer to an all year round season with the use of electricity, maybe this is also paying a role in frequency of menstrual cycles? T. S. Wiley in "Sex, Lies and Menopause" also connects carbohydrate consumption and extended periods of light with several female hormonal imbalances, some of which include early menarche.

brainwave said:
I've also read that increased fat intake will change the duration of each phase. I think that would result in lengthened cycles for some, more regular or irregular for others or even light for normally heavy bleeders or heavier for normally light bleeders.

I had my first period when I was 14, and remember that was happy when it happened because all the other girls got it by then. Since then it's been pretty regular, though rather heavy with lot of clots and strong pain/weakness. Also, taking contraceptives for several years no doubt messed my system up, but even after, it continued to be a regular 28-27 cycle. But since I started on a low carb/high fat diet, the cycle appears to be increasing (the last one was 33). Clots and pain also almost disappeared, and the flow is not that heavy anymore. So there are indeed changes.

Found an interesting article today:

_http://webpub.allegheny.edu/employee/r/rmumme/FS101/ResearchPapers/RachelBayer.html

The Impact of Increased Menstruation Rates on Women’s Health and Reproductive Cancers

Rachel Bayer
December 19, 2001

A debate has recently developed over the evolutionary reason for menstruation and whether current menstruation rates are natural. However, explaining the physiological processes behind menstruation has been a topic for centuries. In the third and fourth centuries B.C., early physicians hypothesized that menstrual blood was the substance from which the embryo formed. It was not until the late 19th to early 20th centuries that biologists started suggesting that menstruation is a secondary process resulting from a failure of fertilization (Finn 1996). It is now known that menstruation is the shedding of the uterine lining in the absence of an implanted embryo, which results in vaginal bleeding. An adequate explanation of menstruation for some biologists and physicians is that it marks a woman’s failure to become pregnant (Travis 1997). Recently, however, evolutionary biologists have begun questioning why menstruation occurs at all. Increased rates of women’s reproductive cancers have also lead some to question whether monthly menstruation for years at a time is a natural and healthy state. During the past 10,000 years, natural selection has made relatively small changes to the human gene pool. This suggests that modern humans are actually adapted for life during the Stone Age. However, American women experience three times as many menstrual cycles as women in these hunter-gatherer societies. Recent lifestyle changes have resulted in consideration of monthly menstruation as the "natural" health state (Eaton et al 1994). Increased rates of women’s reproductive cancers have called into question this belief. Studies suggest that women’s exposure to the hormones estrogen and progesterone have dramatically increased due to life-style changes, resulting in increased rates of reproductive cancers (Strassman 1999).

The menstrual cycle is a set of events, divided into two phases, that results in the production of a mature ovum ready for fertilization and an endometrium that is prepared for implantation (Berga 1999). The follicle phase occurs before ovulation. During this phase, estrogen levels increase, which causes the endometrium to develop and marks maturation of the follicle (Berga 1999, Seagal and Schiff 1999). Ovulation, the release of an oocyte from the mature follicle, follows (Raven and Johnson 1999). During the subsequent luteal phase, the corpus luteum secretes estrogen and progesterone, which causes further development of the endometrium. Absence of fertilization results in corpus luteum regression, which initiates an abrupt decline in estrogen and progesterone levels and causes the endometrium to recede. The menstrual cycle then starts again (Raven and Johnson 1999). In all mammals, the endometrium proliferates during the menstrual cycle and, if pregnancy and implantation do not occur, then the endometrium regresses through reabsorption. Only in humans, apes, Old World monkeys, and shrews does vaginal bleeding also occur (Strassman 1999).

In evolutionary terms, menstruation is a relatively recent development (Finn 1994). Multiple hypotheses have surfaced as to why a few mammal species menstruate while the vast majority does not. The opinion of many scientists is that since natural selection has not eliminated it, menstruation must have some benefit (Travis 1997). However, since menstruation only occurs when pregnancy does not take place, natural selection may not have had an opportunity to select against any negative effects of menstruation. Until recently, most females became pregnant within a few years of first menses, and would therefore pass on their genes before the deleterious effects of menstruation occurred (Finn 1996)

Margy Profet developed the first hypothesis based on an evolutionary explanation for menstruation to gain widespread recognition (Travis 1997). Profet argues that vaginal bleeding flushes out dangerous microorganisms introduced into the uterus by sperm capable of causing infertility, illness, or death. The protection provided by this mechanism outweighs the loss of iron and nutrients accompanying menstrual bleeding (Travis 1997). Profet’s hypothesis received criticism from many scientists. This hypothesis predicted that the promiscuity of a species would correlate to its degree of menstrual bleeding. However, published data showed that several non-promiscuous primate species have copious menstrual bleeding. Menstrual blood is also considered by many as an inappropriate expulsion medium because it is an excellent growth material for microorganisms (Travis 1997). In addition, menstruating every few weeks is an inefficient means of infection control. Any bacteria entering the uterus soon after menstruation ends would then wait three weeks before expulsion, which is long enough for the bacteria to proliferate and cause serious infections (Finn 1994). This method of defense against pathogens also leaves post-menopausal, pregnant, and lactating women unable to defend themselves as they are not menstruating. Since menstruation only occurs in the absence of implantation, and therefore in the absence of sperm, it is counterintuitive that menstruation would have evolved as a defense against bacteria brought in with sperm. The presence of sperm inhibits this "defense" mechanism while the absence of sperm, and hence bacteria, allows the "defense" (menstruation) to occur regularly (Finn 1994). Profet’s hypothesis not only initiated a barrage of criticism, it also sparked the formation of other theories explaining the evolution of menstruation.

Beverly Strassman hypothesizes that vaginal bleeding occurs as a side effect arising when there is too much blood for reabsorption into the body during endometrium regression (Strassman 1999 and Travis 1997). Shedding the endometrium, as opposed to continuously maintaining it, is hypothesized to have evolved as an energy-saving adaptation (Travis 1997). The embryo is available for implantation in only a fraction of the menstrual cycle, corresponding to the time at which the endometrium can sustain implantation. By studying endometrium oxygen consumption during buildup and regression, Strassman concludes that it requires less energy to rebuild the endometrium each cycle then to maintain it continually. Therefore, natural selection has resulted in synchronization of embryo availability and endometrium development (Strassman 1999).

Colin Finn and Peter Ellison each hypothesize that menstruation results from the invasiveness of the human blastocyst. Finn argues that the increased invasiveness of the human blastocyst through evolution led to natural selection for endometrial preparation that is independent of embryo stimulus (Finn 1994). The mother protects her uterus by undergoing changes in endometrial stroma in anticipation of pregnancy. If pregnancy does not occur, then the endometrium breaks down and bleeding occurs (Finn 1996). This differs from many mammals, where stromal changes only occur when the blastocyst is present in the uterus (Finn 1994). Ellison argues that the endometrium must terminally differentiate its cells before the invasive embryo implantation, which is required to meet oxygen and glucose demands. The endometrial cells are therefore committed to a fate before the embryo arrives and cannot be retained if implantation does not occur. This results in the shedding of the endometrium (Travis 1997). Although numerous hypotheses have been put forth on the evolution of menstruation, as of yet, none has been widely acknowledged as an acceptable theory for why humans menstruate.

While the reasons behind why women menstruate remain unclear, research shows that the number of menstrual cycles modern women experience differs greatly from the number experienced by pre-agricultural women. It is impossible to know with certainty the reproductive patterns that prevailed 10,000 years ago. However, it is likely that the reproductive patterns of Stone Age women are more closely related to those of current hunter-gatherer societies than to those of western women (Eaton and Eaton III 1999). The best opportunity to study the natural pattern of human reproduction occurs with women in current foraging societies. American women currently experience three times as many menstrual periods as women who have continued living in the ways of earlier ancestors. Foraging women are 16 years old at menarche, 19.5 year old at first birth, nurse for three to four years, have a completed family size of 5.9 live births, and an average age at menopause of 47 years. They experience a total of 160 ovulations in their lifetime. Contemporary American women are 12.5 years old at menarche, 24 years old at age of first birth, nurse for 3 months (if at all), have a completed family size of 1.8, and are 50.5 years old at menopause. American women experience approximately 450 ovulations within their lifetime (Eaton et al 1994). A study done with the Dogon women of Mali shows a similar relationship. The Dogon are a foraging society that practices natural fertility by not using modern contraceptive methods. The Dogon have a fertility rate of 8.6 ± 0.3 live births per woman. Median number of lifetime menses experienced by the Dogon was 109, with a U-shaped relationship between menstruation and age showing that, from menarche to menopause, women in primary child-bearing years (20 —34 years old) rarely menstruated (Strassman 1999). Overall, this data indicates that monthly menstruation for decades on end is not the historical norm. Today, women have earlier menarche, later first birth, and fewer pregnancies. There is also a decreased suppression of menstruation through lactation as _ of children are never breast-fed and the rest only breast-feed for 3 months. Early menarche is an especially recent development. In the 19th century, the age of first menarche was the same as in the hunter-gatherer women observed today. The earlier age of first menarche can be linked to an increase in caloric intake, while at the same time occupational, educational, and social forces have led to a later first birth (Eaton and Eaton III 1999). The consequences for these changes in menstrual cycling may be seen in cancer rates among women in industrialized nations.

The increased number of menstrual cycles experienced by western women may increase the risks of developing cancer in the reproductive organs. Breast cancer afflicts one out of eight women (Strassman 1999). Unfortunately, it is impossible to determine the breast cancer rates in ancestral hunter-gatherer societies. However, medical anthropologists estimate that it was rare. One model suggests a 100-fold increase in breast cancer rates from those in ancestral women (Eaton and Eaton III 1999). Less than 2% of current breast cancer cases are caused by heritable mutations. The other 98% of breast cancer cases are probably due to the longer time span between menses and first live birth, along with increased menstruation rates (Strassman 1999). The chances of developing breast cancer decrease with later menarche, earlier first birth, high parity, and earlier menopause. This is because the susceptibility of the breast to carcinogens is directly related to its epithelial cell proliferation rate and inversely related to its degree of tissue differentiation. After menarche, but before the first birth, epithelial cells in the intralobular terminal ducts are especially susceptible to carcinogens. Pregnancy and lactation induce differentiation of these cells into well-developed secretory lobules that have a slower proliferation rate and are more resistant to carcinogens. Increased exposure to estrogen from an increased number of menstrual cycles also elevates the risk of breast cancer as estrogen accelerates breast epithelial cell proliferation (Eaton et al 1994). By increasing the cell proliferation rate in breast epithelium, there is an increased risk of random genetic errors causing malignancy (Strassman 1999). Asian women have lower breast cancer incidence rates than western women, and have lower serum and urinary estrogen levels. Studies also suggest that there is a positive relationship between estrogen replacement therapy and breast cancer (Eaton et al 1994).

Early menarche, late menopause, and low parity all increase the number of menstrual cycles experienced and therefore increase estrogen levels, leading to increased endometrial carcinoma risks. The "estrogen excess hypothesis" was developed based on the evidence that women with endometrial cancer typically exhibit signs of high estrogen effect (ovarian stromal hyperplasia and high vaginal cornification index). Their plasma estrogen levels also tend to be higher than controls (Eaton et al 1994).

The "incessant ovulation hypothesis" may explain increased rates of ovarian cancer (Eaton et al 1994). Ovarian cancer is the fourth leading cause of cancer in women and is fatal in 80% of cases (Coutinho and Segal 1999). The hypothesis states that each ovulation mechanically injures the ovarian epithelium, while the escaping follicle exposes the tissue to locally high hormone levels. This means that the more a woman ovulates, the greater her chances are for developing ovarian cancer. Pregnancies, lactation, and oral contraceptives all reduce the total number of ovulations, and therefore decrease the chances of developing ovarian cancer. The high number of ovulations experienced by women in western societies is a departure from the number experienced by pre-agricultural women and may explain the high rates of ovarian cancer (Eaton et al 1994).

Decreasing the rates of women’s reproductive cancers may depend on using modern pharmacology along with changing eating and breast feeding habits in order to recreate the hormonal balance of hunter-gatherer women (Eaton and Eaton III 1999). Oral contraceptives could be used to decrease rates of ovarian and endometrium cancers. Millions of women currently use oral contraceptive pills, which have been shown to reduce the risk of developing ovarian and endometrium cancers. However, there is no evidence that oral contraceptives decrease breast cancer rates. Women using oral contraceptives also have a "pseudo period" each month caused by hormone withdrawal. Oral contraceptives were developed under the assumption that regular menstruation is normal. They therefore contain a weeks worth of sugar pills, which induce the "pseudo period". Given that menstruation every month is likely an unnatural state, this "pseudo period" could be eliminated (Strassman 1999). The use of a gonadotropin releasing hormone agonist (GnRHA) could be used to reduce the risks of developing breast cancer as well as endometrial and ovarian cancers (Strassman 1999). GnRHA totally, but reversibly, inhibits ovarian production of estrogen and progesterone. It would be necessary to supplement those using GnRHA with low doses of estrogen to protect against the negative effects of a lack of estrogen, such as osteoporosis. Use of GnRHA during 5 years of the reproductive period could reduce breast cancer risk by 31% and for 15 years by 70% (Eaton and Eaton III 1999). Delaying the onset of puberty could also reduce the rates of all reproductive cancers. Each year of puberty delay causes a 20% reduction in the risk of developing breast cancer (Eaton and Eaton III 1999). Administration of progesterone through existing contraceptive methods could be used to delay the onset of puberty. Another way of reducing breast cancer rates is to induce maturation of the breast epithelium through the administration of high estrogen and progesterone doses after first menstruation, which would mimic the serum levels found during pregnancy. In animal experiments, this technique has induced maturation of the breast epithelium, thereby decreasing cell proliferation and susceptibility to carcinogens (Eaton et al 1994). This does not inhibit later reproductive success or lactation ability (Eaton and Eaton III 1999)

Changing dietary habits could also decrease the rates of reproductive cancers. There is a strong correlation between fat intake and breast cancer development. Studies on lab animals strongly suggest that increased fat intake promotes breast tumor development. Women in the United States consume 40% of daily calories from fat and have five times the risk of developing breast cancer as women in Japan, who consume 19% of daily calories from fat. Paleolithic humans probably received 20 to 25% of their daily total caloric intake from fat (Eaton et al 1994). Studies suggest that reproductive cancer rates may be linked to dietary fat intake as a child. There is a clear-cut association between overall dietary fat intake and breast cancer rates within a country. However, no correlation has been found between individual fat intake and breast cancer rates in the adult women studied. This suggests that breast cancer rates may be influenced by childhood fat intake (Eaton and Eaton III 1999). Dietary fiber levels may also affect reproductive cancer rates because a high fiber diet increases intestinal reabsorption of estrogen. Non-human primates, which have almost non-existent rates of reproductive cancers, consume large amounts of fiber containing foods (Eaton et al 1994). Therefore, changing dietary habits to a low fat/high fiber diet could result in lower reproductive cancer rates. Encouraging longer periods of breast-feeding could also serve to inhibit menstruation, thereby decreasing the total number of lifetime menses.

Monthly menstruation has been accepted as a natural and normal state for women based on observations that the week of menstrual bleeding is accompanied by the relief of premenstrual discomforts (Thomas and Ellertson 2000). Most women experience low-level discomfort during their menstrual cycle, including symptoms such as bloating, fatigue, cramping, and backaches. In 30 to 40% of women, these symptoms cause significant discomfort. One in ten women suffers from endometriosis, the extremely painful condition where the uterine lining cells lost during menstruation are discharged through the fallopian tubes into the pelvic cavity where they attach to pelvic organs. The cells grow each month in response to hormonal changes in the cycle (Coutinho and Segal 1999). Viewing continuous menstrual cycling as the natural state, because it brings relief of these symptoms, is an inaccurate assessment given that throughout history women probably spent most of their time pregnant or lactating, both of which suppress menstruation. Methods that decrease the occurrence of reproductive cancers may also help relieve or eliminate the monthly discomfort and pain felt by women during menstruation.

Some of my thoughts on this:

It's clear that the author didn't take into account as to which (dietary) changes have been made in the past centuries. The introduction and increase in xenoestrogens, agriculture, and introduction of unhealthy fats etc. The imbalance between the hormones is one of the detrimental effects of these changes.
Also, to compare us to non-human primates makes little sense.
If indeed women would follow the right diet our ancestors had, we could go back to our natural state of menstruating etc. A diet that contains lots of fat (natural, healthy fats) and little fiber to go with. As we know, fiber is not good for the gut. And there is this:

Research has shown that a diet high in fiber and low in fat can cause an irregular menstrual cycle. In one study 210 women, between the ages of 17 and 22 years old, were asked to complete a questionnaire about their eating habits and their menstrual histories. The women who reported having irregular periods also had higher intakes of fiber (both crude and dietary), while the women who ate more saturated fat reported more regular cycles.

Also, it makes little sense to take/advocate medicine and pills to treat symptoms, it would be much better to concentrate on the core issues (one of them being leptin resistance) by making the right dietary changes, and then naturally the rest will follow. Or so it seems to me.

[quote author=brainwave]
...increased fat intake will change the duration of each phase. I think that would result in lengthened cycles for some, more regular or irregular for others or even light for normally heavy bleeders[/quote]

Cycle started on Nov 4, Stress induced by "me against the world" mentality in which I won that battle that day.
Biggest changes; its light in color, watery not clumpy like it usually is, lightest flow I've had in ages, and best of all no bloating, no pain, no cramps and only 3 or 4 contractions the first day.
Awesome! hoping every period will be this way from now on.

[quote author=brainwave]In fact I often felt the urge to fast once the bleeding started. [/quote]
Brainwave, How long did you fasted? do you ever get hungry again during your period?

During this time, just looking or smelling food makes me feel ill. Used to crave chocolate (yay no more cravings) but I haven't had it in months. I'm guessing because I force feed myself at least 4 oz pork, beef or lamb mostly fat in the morning? I don't know.

Is it a good idea to fast during the bleeding cycle?
Anyone else (on Paleo diet) felt like fasting too during this time?

[quote author=solarmother]...indicate a very powerful time for women and a need for withdrawal with other women from everyday life--pre-menses (PMS.) Then, as the blood is released, perhaps in paleo times, in shorter and painless cycles, women were together to pool their knowledge (pun intended.) That sure would seem to be very threatening to the PTB patriarchy. [/quote]
LOL pool. Only one woman I know that feels its powerful is my mom's friend. She says that when she has her period, feels she can conquer the world and accomplish more in those days than the rest of the month. Reminded me that one person's attitude can make a difference.

semi-off topic

Odyssey, I got size B moon cup. It was still too big. Was supposed to open and make seal but it didn't unravel no matter what I did. My suggestion would be to wait for Stellaria and others to express their experience with it before buying smaller size.

Stellaria_graminea, I tried organic cotton reusable pads but I travel too much and had a very heavy flow that can get really messy. :-[ I know excuse. Now that's a lighter flow (again amazing) I'll give reusables another chance. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom