Panic Attacks

@RainBy pure luck I discovered a thing that helps me a lot. Its rather silly actually. Its chewing gum. I take the gum with the strongest flavor that I can find, usually take two or three pieces at once, and chew it as strongly as I can, with moving my jaw as much as I can. And its bizarre, but it helps, it calms me down.
There are a few techniques, similar to the one you describe, that help stop panic attacks. People say that having a very sour candy stops their panic attacks, others take a strong menthol chewing gum or smell menthol essential oil. It takes the mind's attention from fear and panic to attention to a strong taste or smell.

I found a very interesting article on how chewing gum relieves stress and anxiety: Can chewing help manage stress, pain and appetite? Here’s what the science says.

I always used to chew gum when studying or taking an exam because someone told me, or I read somewhere, that it improves focus. It really works well. It is an interesting connection.

Here are some other techniques that help stop anxiety and panic attacks that have helped me:

- The Floating Technique by Claire Weekes (Her book, Hope and Help for Your Nerves helped me tremendously)
The main thing is to stop yourself from adding the second fear, the fear of the first symptoms of anxiety or a panic attack (inability to breathe normally, heart palpitations, shaking, depersonalization, vertigo...), because the fear of that fear (what will happen, what if...) is what makes the panic attack one of those strong ones where you feel like you are dying. Accept the anxiety (at first hard to do but a must) and "float" through it. I find Dr. Weekes's voice very soothing, so I often listen to her talk when anxiety starts to creep, and it always immediately helps.

- The 333 Technique or 54321 Technique
Look around and identify 3 objects, 3 sounds and then move 3 body parts. The point is to, again, shift the brain's focus.
Identify 5 things you can see (what colors are they, what shape), 4 things you can touch (really feel the texture), 3 things you can hear (sounds near you, sounds in the distance), 2 things you can smell, 1 thing you can taste.

- Cold water / Cold air
Splash cold water on your wrists, your face, and your neck. Cold water immediately calms you down, reduces the stress hormone cortisol, and slows down your heart rate. It stimulates the vagus nerve. You can also make an ice pack and put it on the back of your neck.
If it is winter, it is great to just walk outside in the cold air. You can also drink a very cold glass of water.
Here are some more vagus-stimulating techniques: Vagus Nerve Cooling for Anxiety

- Opposite arm tapping
It seems simple but helps. And it is almost like you are giving yourself a hug, which reminds you to be kind to yourself and makes you feel better.

The main thing is to remind yourself that the panic will pass, it always does, you will be fine like always. Don't think about "what if" and add in extra fear, but feel present in the now and acknowledge that you are safe here and now. Just let the adrenaline and cortisol run their course through the body. The body can only release a certain amount of adrenaline, so the symptoms of anxiety will pass.

Vagusstoff (literally translated from German as "Vagus Substance") refers to the substance released by stimulation of the vagus nerve which causes a reduction in the heart rate. (Acetylcholine )
This is so interesting!

"Acetylcholine affects things like the sleep-wake cycle, as well as the ability to focus or remember. Problems with acetylcholine can cause various issues in these areas.
Research also shows that an imbalance in acetylcholine can also negatively affect mood, potentially triggering symptoms of anxiety or depression.
"

"There is no proven way to increase acetylcholine levels. However, some evidence suggests that consuming choline might help. People must get enough choline from their diets to produce adequate levels of acetylcholine.
Foods that contain choline include meat, fish, eggs, beans, and cruciferous vegetables."

Source: Acetylcholine: What it is, function, and links with health

Supplements that Boost Acetylcholine:

The body gets all the sugar it needs from natural sources, in fruits and vegetables. When combined with additional fiber, vitamins and minerals, natural sugar is processed slightly differently, compared to refined white sugar or the myriad of different names that the industry uses to disguise sugar in food.

The sugar in fruit and vegetables binds to minerals and vitamins and helps our body to absorb them.
Here is a very interesting view on that: Fruit Fear

Back
Top Bottom