Please Help! Hives Breakout? Mind/Body Connection?

In the last few days I've developed a rash all over my body, and could barely sleep last night. I've noticed that it was aggravated after having a meal. My diet is basically meat (pork, beef) and fat (lard, butter), sometimes chocolate and green tea, I also take apple cider vineager after a high protein meal (which I found out is a terrible idea if you have histamine issues), so I though it had something to do with histamine or oxalates. This thread helped a lot in finding things that help. Vitamin C and vitamin E are of great help, so is not eating after 3pm as Renaissance suggested, coffee enemas help, salted water, potassium and magnesium citrate, and working on emotional and mental blocks. Also cutting out teas and chocolate helps.

My body doesn't seem to tolorate meat that well currently, so I think I'll try finding some quality rice and try out egg yolks for a couple of days and see if that works. I don't think that meat is the issue per se, but the quality of it, since I buy it in a supermarket (another bad idea if you have histamine problems), and I'll reintroduce it after a couple of days, and try to get better quality at a local farmer's market.

Hi Anthony, apart from the suspicion about food, Have you changed your laundry and toilet soap brand recently? This can also be the case.

Hi Anthony, apart from the suspicion about food, Have you changed your laundry and toilet soap brand recently? This can also be the case.

I did, about a month ago, I will change it for something else and see if that helps, thanks. Today is much better, I slept great, had no reaction to food, and the itching is about all gone. I did egg yolks and oatmeal for breakfast, and jasmin rice with egg yolks for dinner.

In the last few days I've developed a rash all over my body, and could barely sleep last night. I've noticed that it was aggravated after having a meal. My diet is basically meat (pork, beef) and fat (lard, butter), sometimes chocolate and green tea, I also take apple cider vineager after a high protein meal (which I found out is a terrible idea if you have histamine issues), so I though it had something to do with histamine or oxalates. This thread helped a lot in finding things that help. Vitamin C and vitamin E are of great help, so is not eating after 3pm as Renaissance suggested, coffee enemas help, salted water, potassium and magnesium citrate, and working on emotional and mental blocks. Also cutting out teas and chocolate helps.

My body doesn't seem to tolorate meat that well currently, so I think I'll try finding some quality rice and try out egg yolks for a couple of days and see if that works. I don't think that meat is the issue per se, but the quality of it, since I buy it in a supermarket (another bad idea if you have histamine problems), and I'll reintroduce it after a couple of days, and try to get better quality at a local farmer's market.

I had a decent remission for a good 4 or 5 months. I'd get them if I didn't take antihistamines after about 48 hours, but at least the antihistimine treatment was effective. I started getting them again a few weeks ago. I had read that the change of seasons can trigger reactions, and I more or less think that could be the case. This time around they haven't been as intense, but they are still bothersome. I initially started getting them in the winter, so it's interesting they've also returned during the winter. As far as I can remember I don't have any traumatic events relating to this time of year, so I think there is a strong environmental component that is also able to reach unresolved or lingering emotional issues.

As far as the environmental aspect goes, chronic dehydration in the winter months do seem to take its toll. Last go around, drinking tons of the salted water with lemon juice seemed to help turn the corner. I add some liquid trace minerals as well. I made it a goal to drink at least a gallong of this solution per day, which if I remember correctly I did for a little less than two weeks. I'm still doing regular coffee enemas and am now following them with quinton ocean water retention enemas. It's amazing what that has done to help stabilize my nervous system. I've been doing some emotional release work as well, which I think has probably been boosted by the quinton therapy. I've been doing this for the last 10 weeks or so, and have steadily increased my dosage whenever the positive effects wore off. I started with 30 ml of hypertonic and 60 ml of spring water (90 ml isotonic), but it wan't until reaching 75 ml of hypertonic/150 ml spring water or 225 ml isotonic that I started noticing more lasting significant results (no more feeling 'on edge', being irritable, abnormally high heart rate, etc.) I found that 'live' spring water really makes a difference if you can get it.

For the emotional processing I've been writing before bed about things during the day that may have bothered me, or that otherwise could have affected my emotions. I finish by writing 5 good things that I experienced during the day. It's pretty remarkable how this exercise discharges harbored negative emotions. You can think about such things all you want but there is something about writing it down or even telling someone about what you're experiencing that releases built up emotional energy.

I had a decent remission for a good 4 or 5 months. I'd get them if I didn't take antihistamines after about 48 hours, but at least the antihistimine treatment was effective. I started getting them again a few weeks ago. I had read that the change of seasons can trigger reactions, and I more or less think that could be the case. This time around they haven't been as intense, but they are still bothersome. I initially started getting them in the winter, so it's interesting they've also returned during the winter. As far as I can remember I don't have any traumatic events relating to this time of year, so I think there is a strong environmental component that is also able to reach unresolved or lingering emotional issues.

As far as the environmental aspect goes, chronic dehydration in the winter months do seem to take its toll. Last go around, drinking tons of the salted water with lemon juice seemed to help turn the corner. I add some liquid trace minerals as well. I made it a goal to drink at least a gallong of this solution per day, which if I remember correctly I did for a little less than two weeks. I'm still doing regular coffee enemas and am now following them with quinton ocean water retention enemas. It's amazing what that has done to help stabilize my nervous system. I've been doing some emotional release work as well, which I think has probably been boosted by the quinton therapy. I've been doing this for the last 10 weeks or so, and have steadily increased my dosage whenever the positive effects wore off. I started with 30 ml of hypertonic and 60 ml of spring water (90 ml isotonic), but it wan't until reaching 75 ml of hypertonic/150 ml spring water or 225 ml isotonic that I started noticing more lasting significant results (no more feeling 'on edge', being irritable, abnormally high heart rate, etc.) I found that 'live' spring water really makes a difference if you can get it.

For the emotional processing I've been writing before bed about things during the day that may have bothered me, or that otherwise could have affected my emotions. I finish by writing 5 good things that I experienced during the day. It's pretty remarkable how this exercise discharges harbored negative emotions. You can think about such things all you want but there is something about writing it down or even telling someone about what you're experiencing that releases built up emotional energy.

I'm glad you've got a handle on it, and found out what works. Did you by any chance try cold showers/baths, I find them to be helpful, especially before going to bed.

I also found this blog post very helpful:
chronic dehydration | Hives Relief

The author utilizes many of the treatments and avenues toward heath we've been discovering on the forum, but the big thing it underscored for me was the hydration issue. One of the things the author mentioned was that he has the MTHFR gene mutation, and I found that I have that mutation as well.

Here's the article:

The Cheapest, Quickest, and Most Effective Treatment for CIU

So, it’s been a while since I posted, mainly because it’s been quite a while since I’ve had a flare up of CIU (Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria). I’ve been fortunate that a once daily Zyrtec and a vitamin regimen has been enough to keep mine under control. I’ve experimented with skipping a dose, but have never gotten more than 36-48 hours without early symptoms appearing that sent me running for a Zyrtec. A week ago I had the worst flare up I’ve had in years. Strangely it was just on my scalp this time. After a lot of thinking, reading, and experimenting, I think I understand what brought it on and how to treat it for good.

A few weeks ago I learned that I have a MTHFR gene mutation following a comprehensive metabolic blood workup. Apparently a lot of people have it. There are two different kinds. You can have MTHFR 677, 1298, or both, and either can be homogeneous or heterogeneous, meaning you either have a gene from one parent or both. There are a number of ailments now believed to be associated with these two mutations, including neurological conditions. Fortunately I only have 1298ac which is heterogeneous. So basically, the body just doesn’t utilize folic acid very well. If you have 677 and it’s homogeneous, you’ve got to take a purer form of folic acid that your body can actually use known as methyfolate, since your body cannot convert folic acid into methylfolate on its own. If you are heterogeneous or just have 1298 like I do, your body can use folic acid but perhaps not efficiently, so methylfolate can also be beneficial. Niacin also slows down the process of converting folic acid to methylfolate. I was taking high dose Niacin for 4 months trying to correct my lipid profile. Taking Niacin and methylfolate at the same time is like trying to drive with one foot on the gas and one on the brake. The symptoms I was experiencing primarily was low energy and brain fog later in the day. Since dropping the Niacin and taking methylfolate and methyl-B12 daily that improved pretty quickly.

One of the primary effects of a 1298 mutation is the ability of the body to rid itself of toxins. So gradually over time you accumulate a lot of toxins stored in the body that are not removed efficiently. In addition to toxins the methylfolate process in the body plays a part in histamine management. Histamine is very important in the body for a lot of reasons including brain function, but as you CIU sufferers know it’s the cause of the hives. It got me thinking about whether my CIU was attributed to toxins in the body and poor histamine control due to the MTHFR mutation. The treatment for this is to take methylfolate and methyl-B12 but high dose Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Milk Thistle are especially helpful in detoxing the liver and causing it to release fatty deposits storing toxins. So I tweaked my vitamin regimen again adding Milk Thistle also.

About the same time I changed up my vitamins I switched to a Low Carb High Fat ketogenic diet. That’s unrelated to CIU but an effort to correct my lipid profile and high risk factors for heart disease and pre-diabetes. Since I wasn’t snacking as much during the day, for some reason I wasn’t drinking as much water as I had been. Also since cutting out all processed food and not eating out as much, I was eating mostly fats, meat, and home cooked veggies which were much lower in sodium. Mix in a couple weeks of high stress with a new job plus dehydration and I had a full blown raging flare up of CIU. Taking double doses of Zyrtec did not help at all. After reading someone’s post in a forum about chronic dehydration and allergies, I started putting the pieces of the puzzle together. I think the detoxing regimen was kicking in and releasing toxins but the lower water intake wasn’t allowing me to flush the toxins from the body or maybe just caused the hives directly. So here’s what I did next…

I started drinking a lot of water, at least 80 ounces a day. As you can imagine, I made frequent trips to the bathroom. I realized water was not enough. I had to add sodium to help retain fluid to correct chronic dehydration. Once I increased my intake of sea salt and continued drinking at least 80 ounces of water a day, by day 4 the hives were going away and barely came back on day 5. On day 6 no hives symptoms at all. Day 7 I skipped the Zyrtec altogether. I may take it tomorrow if there are any symptoms to taper off the dose gradually every other day.

Chronic dehydration is tricky to notice because you stop being thirsty after a while. Your body adapts in part by increasing histamine, raising blood sugar, cholesterol, you name it. By re-hydrating all of those come down naturally. So now I’m wondering if my CIU outbreak 4 years ago was really the result of chronic dehydration, toxicity, or both. I’ll continue taking the methylfolate and vitamin regimen and drinking a LOT of water for other health reasons as well, but I’m betting the hives do not return. If you’re struggling with CIU and have exhausted all other options, this is a cheap one to try by drinking water and eating salt. Get your blood tested for MTHFR mutations also if that doesn’t help you. I hope this helps at least a few others as it did me.

Thanks for sharing it all. I just had a hives breakout after lunch today. I was working in the garden and progressively my whole body became itchy. I have red spots all over right now. A bit surprised! Maybe it's the hazel three spores since I was crushing some wood though this is not pollen I've been reacting to before and yesterday I was preparing the wood to be crushed and had no reaction.

I do not have chronic hives, I usually get that sort of outburst when I get in direct contact with grass. I'm allergic to grass pollens and usually spend a miserable spring, as outlined in the Hay fever thread.
I had organic beef sausages with salad and vinaigrette at lunch. Wasn't aware Apple Cider Vinegar could raise histamine levels in association with meat, though I've done that for some days since reintroducing salad into my diet after my "cysts under carnivore diet" episode.

All sort of mysteries happening to my body! That MTHFR mutation could explain a lot in regards to toxin accumulation, I will try to implement drinking more water coupled with more Quinton and try to summarize the info provided here to get prepared for that spring season, that episode got me worried. :-/

I forgot to mention I stopped taking antibiotics + ultra yeast prescribed after the surgical removal of my inflamed cyst 2 days ago. That also could be linked.

Wow, just woke up in the middle of the night. 4 AM here. The itching took my legs all over, fast heartbeat, a bit panicked. I'm thinking about a strong delayed reaction to the amoxicillin. It seems to be not so uncommon. I'll take an antihistaminic and see if it calms down. Impressive...

Wow, just woke up in the middle of the night. 4 AM here. The itching took my legs all over, fast heartbeat, a bit panicked. I'm thinking about a strong delayed reaction to the amoxicillin. It seems to be not so uncommon. I'll take an antihistaminic and see if it calms down. Impressive...

I've noticed that cold showers before bed prevent any sort of itching during the night, also not eating after 15.00.

I took a cold shower to calm down the reaction yesterday at 5PM yesterday, it was effective. Did not eat dinner. After I wrote the message, I began to feel really cold and felt like I needed heat, listening to the heartbeat of my partner calmed me down eventually. I feel like my intestines are devoid of any bacteria in some weird way.
I will go to the doctor today. Thanks Anthony.

Hello, I thought I would join in this thread as I reckon I have something along the lines of hives, but with slightly unconventional symptoms. Mine have always existed on both my legs, just below the knees, and never spread. They bleed and scab, and skin becomes very very dry on the affected patches. I have never tried a solid protocol to try and achieve relief, so that is why I have now managed to land myself on @Renaissance 's posts, initially discovered via the AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES CAUSED BY AN INFECTION? thread.

Would be interesting to hear what you lot are eating/avoiding in your diet. Also, if any, experiences and results from courses of neurofeedback, as I am going to look further into that.

Might be worth mentioning, my gut can't seem to tolerate a lot, hence why I have cut out the usual suspects (gluten, dairy, nightshades, high-FODMAP), and I am ~60kg 5'10" tall.

The author utilizes many of the treatments and avenues toward heath we've been discovering on the forum, but the big thing it underscored for me was the hydration issue.
Thank you so much for this thread! I am going to increase my salted water intake, skip the apple cider vinegar, chocolate and niacinamide (B3) for a while and see if there is any improvement in my eczema that recently flared up again. Usually, I take 500 mg of niacinamide which helps with energy levels, but I will see if methylated folate and B12 will help (although they are part of a vitamin B complex I bought in light of Keyhole's and Gaby's health protocol for vaccines). I will increase my vitamin C as well. I was already taking selenium, berberine, melatonin, milk thistle and vitamin D.

Also, I am going to stop eating after 3.00 p.m. since itching and general feelings of unease increase in the evening until I go to bed.

For temporary relief I am applying aloe vera to the skin which seems to help and I am using some acupressure points like 'Heavenly Appearance' (relieves hives a.o.), the Third Eye and 'Heavenly Pillar'. The last one reduces stress surrounding skin issues. I could feel the itching decrease when I (gently) pressed that point last night which helped me relax afterwards.

I have also been using the FIR blanket a lot.

In the past my skin cleared up completely after a few visits to an acupuncturist, but since the eczema keeps coming back I have to explore other options. The day before yesterday the skin on my left hand started oozing pus a little a bit, but it has stopped now.

According to Louise Hay eczema represents breath-taking antagonism and mental eruptions.

Back
Top Bottom