Pokemon Go.

bjorn said:
In Taiwan, competition is tough :

https://youtu.be/MoYjVTbLWyo

What a strange world we live in. When someone gets molested, most people look away or escape but when a pokemon appears most people rush in. The contrast between the general apathy of the human population towards the suffering of others and the excitement about Pokemon Go is quite disturbing.

According to the various fact keepers and trend watchers, this fad is finally dipping in popularity.

_http://today.usa.extra.hu/news/its-happening-pokemon-go-popularity-is-in-decline

_http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3755031/Has-Pokemon-caught-users-New-figures-reveal-10-million-players-abandoned-game.html

The game had limited advancement tracks, and as one user commented, "It felt like a beta version".

The "Daily Mail" tells us that daily users have dropped from a peek of 45 million to 30 million. I don't know if that's world wide or just the UK or what, but with rolling releases in various countries, (in the video above, Taiwan hosted its release date a month after the U.S.), I supposed the wave is peeking at different times across the globe.

I wonder if they have collected all the data they wanted?

And I wonder what the final tally of persistent users will be?

Or what the next global milking project will look like and how it will interface with humanity?

Time will tell.

2016 has certainly been one for the history books, and we're not out of it yet! We still have that crazy election ahead of us.

[quote author= Woodsman]And I wonder what the final tally of persistent users will be?[/quote]

I guess anything in between 10/20 million each based on the overall amount every decent game franchise sells.

And there are a lot of big franchises. Or in other words, there are plenty of dreams available for everyone to dissociate and get lost in.

Pokemon was just the start, and like others already pointed out at the beginning of this topic. If the hype part loses momentum, it will just be replaced by something else.

[quote author= Woodsman]I wonder if they have collected all the data they wanted?[/quote]

I think that it proved that using entertainment is the best way of collecting data. The Police State happens voluntarily because it is so much fun …

A trucker in Japan was playing Pokemon go while driving. He killed a lady and seriously injured another.

https://www.sott.net/article/326252-Japan-Pokemon-Go-playing-truck-driver-kills-woman-injures-another

Tokushima Prefectural Police on Wednesday arrested a male truck driver in Tokushima City after one woman was killed and another seriously injured due to an accident caused by his playing of the popular game Pokemon Go while he was behind the wheel.

Keiji Goou, 39, was arrested on reckless driving charges for allegedly hitting two women while playing Pokemon Go on a road in the Katanokamicho area at around 7:25 p.m. on Tuesday, Jiji Press reports (Aug. 24). One woman died in the incident while the other was seriously injured.

Goou has admitted to the charges, telling police, according to the Tokyo Broadcasting, he "wasn't looking ahead properly because I was playing Pokemon Go."

Police named the woman who died as Yukiko Nakanishi, 72, a hairdresser from Kitayama City.

The other victim, 60-year-old Kayoko Igawa, also from Kitayama City, was hospitalized with serious injuries.

Nakanishi and Igawa were crossing the road when they were struck by Gou's truck.

Police are still investigating the circumstances of the case, which they say is Japan's first traffic death caused by Pokemon Go.

There were 79 Pokémon Go-related traffic incidents across 29 prefectures in a one-month period since July 22, the Sankei Shimbun quoted police as saying.

Police said officers have cited more than 1,000 Pokemon Go players for traffic infractions since the game was launched one month ago.

Yeah, It think it's a kind of stepyfying humanity to find that 'easier' having them on their side... It's so terrifying. I've never played that game BUT all of everyone around me really did, well, maybe one person didn't play that - my Mum. :scared:

Here's a first sign that Russians won't be particular tolerant of this nonsense:

Russian blogger faces jail for playing Pokemon Go in church
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/russian-blogger-faces-jail-playing-pokemon-church-180714145.html

A young Russian blogger has been charged with inciting hatred and offending religious sensibilities after filming himself playing Pokemon Go in a Yekaterinberg cathedral.

Ruslan Sokolovski is in detention for two months, a statement by the investigative committee said Saturday, and could face a five-year jail term if convicted.

On August 11, Sokolovski published a video on his YouTube channel showing him entering the Church of All Saints in Yekaterinburg and playing Pokemon Go on his iPhone throughout the cathedral.

"How can one offend by entering a church with a smartphone?" he said.

But investigators said searches on his home had shown evidence of incitement to hatred and attacks on the liberty of faith.

Authorities worldwide have issued a slew of warnings since the hugely popular smartphone app was launched in July...

I thought I would add a personal observation to the discussion. Not long ago, my husband and I had dinner with some friends we hadn't seen in a few weeks. They had recently started playing Pokemon Go.

The entire time we were with them - during dinner and in a park afterward - every couple of minutes they were picking up their phones to play. What struck me was how they apologized each time, because they knew it was rude, but they couldn't help themselves. They would set the phones down and push them away in an attempt to stop, but within a few minutes they would get more and more restless and distracted, glancing at the phones, hands fidgeting, conversation faltering. Finally it would get to be too much and they would have to pick up the phones and play again. Apologizing while they did it. This continued repeatedly throughout the meal.

These weren't kids, this was a middle-aged couple. I've never seen them like this.

When we finished dinner and sat in the park across the street, they were able to play continuously. There was this palpable sense of relief at not having to resist any more.

Then I started watching the other people in the park. Over a dozen people, and every. single. one. was playing Pokemon Go on their smartphones. After about 15 minutes, they all started to move to the next Poke-stop or whatever it is. It was like watching bees move in a swarm.

My husband and I said our goodbyes and left. The whole thing was just strange and uncomfortable for us.

Straycat said:
I thought I would add a personal observation to the discussion. Not long ago, my husband and I had dinner with some friends we hadn't seen in a few weeks. They had recently started playing Pokemon Go.

The entire time we were with them - during dinner and in a park afterward - every couple of minutes they were picking up their phones to play. What struck me was how they apologized each time, because they knew it was rude, but they couldn't help themselves. They would set the phones down and push them away in an attempt to stop, but within a few minutes they would get more and more restless and distracted, glancing at the phones, hands fidgeting, conversation faltering. Finally it would get to be too much and they would have to pick up the phones and play again. Apologizing while they did it. This continued repeatedly throughout the meal.

These weren't kids, this was a middle-aged couple. I've never seen them like this.

When we finished dinner and sat in the park across the street, they were able to play continuously. There was this palpable sense of relief at not having to resist any more.

Then I started watching the other people in the park. Over a dozen people, and every. single. one. was playing Pokemon Go on their smartphones. After about 15 minutes, they all started to move to the next Poke-stop or whatever it is. It was like watching bees move in a swarm.

My husband and I said our goodbyes and left. The whole thing was just strange and uncomfortable for us.

Straycat,

I was talking to my daughter-in-law a few weeks ago about the Pokemon game and she thought it was a very strange game too. Speaking of the "swarm" type behavior she said you know they could all just be directed to the same spot and then who knows what could happen to them. She had no interest in playing the game and I was releived. :umm: :nuts:

It's kind of like lemmings heading for the cliff. :ohboy: :cuckoo:

goyacobol said:
Straycat,

I was talking to my daughter-in-law a few weeks ago about the Pokemon game and she thought it was a very strange game too. Speaking of the "swarm" type behavior she said you know they could all just be directed to the same spot and then who knows what could happen to them. She had no interest in playing the game and I was releived. :umm: :nuts:

It's kind of like lemmings heading for the cliff. :ohboy: :cuckoo:

That was very similar to my thoughts - they're being led around like lemmings, unable to resist for more than a few minutes. What could be done with that? Sobering possibilities.

Keit said:
Here's a first sign that Russians won't be particular tolerant of this nonsense:

Russian blogger faces jail for playing Pokemon Go in church
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/russian-blogger-faces-jail-playing-pokemon-church-180714145.html

A young Russian blogger has been charged with inciting hatred and offending religious sensibilities after filming himself playing Pokemon Go in a Yekaterinberg cathedral.

Ruslan Sokolovski is in detention for two months, a statement by the investigative committee said Saturday, and could face a five-year jail term if convicted.

On August 11, Sokolovski published a video on his YouTube channel showing him entering the Church of All Saints in Yekaterinburg and playing Pokemon Go on his iPhone throughout the cathedral.

"How can one offend by entering a church with a smartphone?" he said.

But investigators said searches on his home had shown evidence of incitement to hatred and attacks on the liberty of faith.

Authorities worldwide have issued a slew of warnings since the hugely popular smartphone app was launched in July...

Didn't took long for 'Amnesty International' to turn this into a crusade for Empire and Imperialism. They always have time to lecture Russia's democracy. Tho they never seem worried about western countries bombing others countries into oblivion for 'democracy'.

They call him a prisoner of conscience. I don't mind people criticizing religion, but how about respecting free will and be external considerate and not provoke followers of that faith to trash their holy places. It's provocative and inciting hatred. Those laws exist for good reason, if everyone just trashes each other holy places, things can escalate in really bad ways.

Help Free Student Imprisoned for Video Playing "Pokemon GO" in a Church (Russian Federation: UA 207/16)
http://www.amnestyusa.org/get-involved/take-action-now/help-free-student-imprisoned-for-video-playing-pokemon-go-in-a-church-russian-federation-ua-20716

Ruslan Sokolovsky, a 21-year-old law student and well-known atheist blogger from Yekaterinburg, Russia, is currently in pre-trial detention facing up to five years’ imprisonment for a video he published showing himself playing Pokemon GO in a church. He is a prisoner of conscience.

On 11 August, Ruslan Sokolovsky published a video on YouTube in which he plays the mobile phone game “Pokemon GO” in one of the main churches in Yekaterinburg, the Urals. He intended to draw attention to the absurdity of legislation that criminalized offending believers’ feelings in Russia. At the end of the video, Ruslan Sokolovsky states that he regrets not catching the rarest Pokemon, Jesus, and says: “they say he doesn’t exist”. The video was shown on federal television stations with the commentary that Ruslan Sokolovsky was insulting the feelings of believers and was possibly mentally ill.

Source: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/09/seaside-resort-brings-in-lawyers-to-end-the-pokemon-hunt/

Seaside resort brings in lawyers to end the Pokémon hunt

September 9, 2016

The Hague city council has drafted in lawyers in an effort to reduce the number of Pokémon Go players in the Kijkduin dune area.

Last month the city crowned Kijkduin ‘Pokémon capital of the Netherlands’ but now officials say the hundreds of players are damaging the fragile nature reserve and causing major problems for residents in the seaside resort.

The city now hopes that the threat of court action will persuade game maker Niantic Labs to remove all the Pokémon from the reserve.

‘These are protected areas and should remain so,’ spokesman Gérald Rensink told the Volkskrant (in Dutch). ‘The game developer should not encourage people to walk through the area. We have made an urgent request to Niantic Labs to switch off the coordinates which cover the protected space.’

Lawyers say another option would be to introduce a ban on large groups gathering in Kijkduin.

EDIT: photo illustration wouldn't load (forbidden 503) so removed image link and caption

Yes, this is a rather interesting development - even creepy, methinks. This app is now being used to manipulate crowds? That must be a very powerful weapon, indeed.

The Polish news made a mention of this strategy today (Polsat). Apparently, the Dutch Police are "educating" the Polish Police on how Pokemon Go can be used to steer crowds towards troublesome spots. And the context? The current tense political situation in the country with a spike in xenophobic attacks. Hmmm...

This is all sort of reminiscent of 'The Crowd; study of the popular mind' by Gustave Le Bon. There are probably better quotes and works but this book immediately sprang to my mind while hearing about the amazing remote control properties of this game.

Weird.

Palinurus said:
New development in the Netherlands, the police in Rotterdam will conduct an experiment to enroll Pokemon Go players as neighborhood watch:
_http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/08/rotterdam-police-bring-in-pokeman-go-players-to-spot-crooks/

Rotterdam police bring in Pokemon Go players to catch crooks

August 11, 2016

Rotterdam police are planning to use Pokémon Go players as extra eyes and ears to help catch crooks, RTL news said on Thursday.

By using special ‘lures’ to attract players to crime hot spots, the police hope to discourage criminals and bring in more people to spot suspicious situations, the broadcaster said.

‘For example, we could use lures close to shops around closing times,’ beat police officer Kor de Jong told RTL. ‘All those Pokémon Go players would then put off criminals.’

‘We are placing lures at locations where, for example, a flasher was spotted or there have been a string of robberies or bike thefts,’ he said. Players who spot something suspicious are then urged to contact the police directly.

WhatsApp

Rotterdam police have also asked active Pokémon Go players if they would like to take part in a WhatsApp group with the police and neighbourhood watch teams, RTL said. They have already reportedly spotted a bike thief and shared a photo, allowing police to pick him up.

De Jong has spent €100 buying 180 lures which will be used in the coming period. ‘We will use them when necessary,’ he said. ‘If it is a success, more budget could be freed up to buy more lures.’

De Jong has also asked game maker Niantic if the police could also identify locations as potential Pokéstops, which have a key role in the online game. The company told RTL that they have had very many requests and none are being considered at the moment.

Original source (in Dutch):
_http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nederland/politie-zet-pokemon-go-spelers-als-buurtwacht

[quote='The Crowd; study of the popular mind' by Gustave Le Bon]
2. THE MEANS OF ACTION OF THE LEADERS: AFFIRMATION, REPETITION, CONTAGION

When it is wanted to stir up a crowd for a short space of time, to induce it to commit an act of any nature—to pillage a palace, or to die in defence of a stronghold or a barricade, for instance—the crowd must be acted upon by rapid suggestion, among which example is the most powerful in its effect. To attain this end, however, it is necessary that the crowd should have been previously prepared by certain circumstances, and, above all, that he who wishes to work upon it should possess the quality to be studied farther on, to which I give the name of prestige.

When, however, it is proposed to imbue the mind of a crowd with ideas and beliefs—with modern social theories, for instance—the leaders have recourse to different expedients. The principal of them are three in number and clearly defined—affirmation, repetition, and contagion. Their action is somewhat slow, but its effects, once produced, are very lasting.

Affirmation pure and simple, kept free of all reasoning and all proof, is one of the surest means of making an idea enter the mind of crowds. The conciser an affirmation is, the more destitute of every appearance of proof and demonstration, the more weight it carries. The religious books and the legal codes of all ages have always resorted to simple affirmation. Statesmen called upon to defend a political cause, and commercial men pushing the sale of their products by means of advertising are acquainted with the value of affirmation.

Affirmation, however, has no real influence unless it be constantly repeated, and so far as possible in the same terms. It was Napoleon, I believe, who said that there is only one figure in rhetoric of serious importance, namely, repetition. The thing affirmed comes by repetition to fix itself in the mind in such a way that it is accepted in the end as a demonstrated truth.

The influence of repetition on crowds is comprehensible when the power is seen which it exercises on the most enlightened minds. This power is due to the fact that the repeated statement is embedded in the long run in those profound regions of our unconscious selves in which the motives of our actions are forged. At the end of a certain time we have forgotten who is the author of the repeated assertion, and we finish by believing it.

To this circumstance is due the astonishing power of advertisements. When we have read a hundred, a thousand, times that X's chocolate is the best, we imagine we have heard it said in many quarters, and we end by acquiring the certitude that such is the fact. When we have read a thousand times that Y's flour has cured the most illustrious persons of the most obstinate maladies, we are tempted at last to try it when suffering from an illness of a similar kind. If we always read in the same papers that A is an arrant scamp and B a most honest man we finish by being convinced that this is the truth, unless, indeed, we are given to reading another paper of the contrary opinion, in which the two qualifications are reversed. Affirmation and repetition are alone powerful enough to combat each other.

When an affirmation has been sufficiently repeated and there is unanimity in this repetition—as has occurred in the case of certain famous financial undertakings rich enough to purchase every assistance— what is called a current of opinion is formed and the powerful mechanism of contagion intervenes. Ideas, sentiments, emotions, and beliefs possess in crowds a contagious power as intense as that of microbes. This phenomenon is very natural, since it is observed even in animals when they are together in number. Should a horse in a stable take to biting his manger the other horses in the stable will imitate him. A panic that has seized on a few sheep will soon extend to the whole flock.

In the case of men collected in a crowd all emotions are very rapidly contagious, which explains the suddenness of panics. Brain disorders, like madness, are themselves contagious. The frequency of madness among doctors who are specialists for the mad is notorious. Indeed, forms of madness have recently been cited—agoraphobia, for instance—which are communicable from men to animals.

For individuals to succumb to contagion their simultaneous presence on the same spot is not indispensable. The action of contagion may be felt from a distance under the influence of events which give all minds an individual trend and the characteristics peculiar to crowds
[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom