Political Ponerology - New Edition (Now Available!)

MIchael Rectenwald gave a GREAT interview on Political Ponerology with Lee Smith on Epoch Times, published July 14. Check it out here:

If anyone can figure out how to extract the closed captioning, I think it would be great to have it here to preserve it.

MIchael Rectenwald gave a GREAT interview on Political Ponerology with Lee Smith on Epoch Times, published July 14. Check it out here:
That was a great interview, he really gets it. And he boils it down very simply for people. It seems to be very well received by the public, judging from the comments. Hopefully, word will spread.

That was a great interview, he really gets it. And he boils it down very simply for people. It seems to be very well received by the public, judging from the comments. Hopefully, word will spread.

Ditto. It was pretty good!

Over the Target uploaded the first part of the interview to their YT channel.

I've downloaded the auto-transcription and made some edits, but I'm pretty sure it needs more work.
Perhaps others would like to polish it?

I'll post the second part as soon as they upload it to YT.

Lee Smith: Welcome to "Over the Target." We have a really terrific show this morning, a very special show. I started reading a book, this book was reissued. This particular edition was reissued in 2022 by a brilliant Polish psychiatrist, Andrzej Łobaczewski, who passed away in 2007. This book was the only book he published, and actually, it was the amalgamation of work that he had done with other researchers behind the then Cold War era, the Iron Curtain, about the origins of evil. How do evil regimes come to be? And I started reading this book, it was recommended to me by a friend. I started reading it, and I just got so captivated by it, and I found that the introduction was written by a friend of Over the Target, Michael Rectenwald, who has been with us before, spoken with us before. So I was just so keen to speak to Michael about this and get his insight into it, and I think you're really going to find this very interesting. It's a really compelling book, a very strange book, but quite brilliant. So without me continuing to ramble on, let's get right into a conversation about the book with our friend Michael Rectenwald. Michael welcome.

Michael Rectenwald: Okay. Thanks for having me, Lee. Good to be here.

Lee: Hey, I also wanted to remind viewers we've talked about Michael's great book here: The Great Reset. I just wanted to put it out there before. The Great Reset and the Struggle for Liberty. Unraveling the global agenda, Michael Rectenwald. Great book. Michael, I see it's getting great reviews, great attention, well deserved. Congratulations again on the book.

Michael: Thanks so much, I appreciate that. That's going pretty well, and I've been giving talks all around, on the topic.

Lee: Political Ponerology. I'd been reading it online. There are a few drafts online, but then I got the real edition of Political Poneurology by Andrzej Łobaczewski, and I saw that you'd done an introduction, so I was so keen to talk to you about it. And again, I'm so grateful that you're here to talk about it. Can you tell me what got your interest in this book? I want to talk about your introduction, and I want to talk about your insight, and I want to talk about Łobaczewski's insight, but what was it that got you interested in Political Ponerology?

Michael: Political Ponerology is... Ponerology can be translated as the study or science of evil. So the term ponerology comes from the Greek poneros, which means inbred evil that is easily spread. That's effectively what it means. So, the book is about the spread of evil, and what got me interested in this book is, of course, having had a run-in with the leftist authoritarians at NYU. I started to research, of course, the leftist authoritarian mindset. This took me, of course, into studies of political ideology and economics, including The Black Cook of Communism, and the Stalinist Digital Archive, and other sources that tried to give me; I was trying to get clued into what is the nature of leftist authoritarianism/totalitarianism. And then I came across this book, Political Ponerology, which came up in the context of a workshop in which the editor Harrison Koehli was a member, and this struck me as extremely interesting in the sense that it was the only book that suggested that it understood the origins of totalitarianism. And it didn't see it as coming from ideology or economics, which was entirely new to me because I had thought: if you understand the ideology and the economics, you understand totalitarianism. And he says something quite different than that, and it struck me as, 'Wow!, this, if it's right, and if it is, you know, telling, then we have one of the most important books in the world on our hands.

Lee: We look at totalitarianism, Nazism, we look at the Chinese Communist party, Stalinism, Leninism, we look at these through a historical lens, we look at in terms of economics, but we don't look at it the way that Political Ponerology does. So if you can... what is it? How does he explain... I believe he says that he has something like the formula for explaining the origins of evil. And, what is it?

Michael: Well, I would call it a psychologistic approach, that approaches the whole origin of evil from the perspective of individual psychology. And it suggests that pathocracy, which is ruled by pathocrats, or psychopaths. It starts from the psychopaths themselves and is spread throughout society by psychopaths. It begins with, as he puts it in the book, schizoid personalities who write these treatises that then become attractive to other people, which he calls characteropaths. And they spread the ideology. There's something wrong with the ideology from the beginning, but then it gets into the hands of psychopaths who take over on the basis of this ideology. So it is ideological, but he does a critique of ideological analysis itself, which is part of this book.

Lee: I come at it largely from, you know, from literature, so we have Solyenitzin who talks about, you know, what is evil. He says, 'Well, if it was just so easy to say these people are good, and these are those, these really evil people are responsible for doing these really bad things, and we have to stop them,' he said. But it's not that easy, the line between good and evil cuts through the middle of every human heart, he phrases something like that, and it appears that Łobaczewski and his colleagues, I think of them as fellow ponerologists, they're saying, 'no, wait a minute, there are evil people in the world, and if you don't recognize this, this causes untold suffering.' And so you know, we should talk a little bit about his biography.

Łobaczewski was born in 1921. He lived through the Nazi occupation of Poland. And then, of course, communism in Poland. So he saw these pathologies and how they affected the people around him. He himself, I believe, was arrested and tortured three times before he moved to the U.S., something like that. But when you read this, you're like, 'well, wait a minute, of course, this makes total sense. Those pathological regimes would be the function of pathological people'. Right? Is that what you take to be the fundamental argument here?

Michael: The fundamental argument, I think, is that in fact... that totalitarianism is a pathocracy, a rule by pathocraths. And that pathograths are effectively psychopaths. And that we can understand this beginning with an individualistic basis, which is very different from the way I've studied history and the way I've studied ideology, which is always conceived in some collective sense. And here we have a methodological individualism, if you will, which focuses on individuals primarily, and shows how individual pathologies spread throughout the social body, and then take over the social order.

So the origin of evil is coming out of the individual, so this is a very important discrimination that he makes, a very important point that he's drawing here our attention to, individuals as opposed to looking strictly at a collective essence. And we should like that since we're not collectivists, I take it.

Lee: Right, well, this goes back to... I mean, isn't this part of an older argument in history as well? I remember, many years ago, I read the Sydney Hook volume, The Great Man in History, so there are sort of competing theories, right? You have some theories that say: 'Well, what really moves history is the great men in history,' but some of them for better and some of them for worse. We have Napoleon, Stalin, Mao. And the other argument is like, 'No, it's more structural than that. This is what's responsible for these huge shifts in history. It's systemic.' Right? Structural, it's not about a great men. So Łobaczewski comes down very clearly, it seems to me, on the idea that, no, there's there are actual... it might not always be one person, but there are actual human beings who are doing this, this is not about structures it's about a person, people.

Michael: This is... that's exactly right, and this great man's theory of history, of course, comes from Thomas Carlisle, the 19th century romantic, late romantic writer. But anyway, the idea here is that, in fact, you know, this structuralist, or systemic analysis, misses the point and misses the origins of evil. We can trace this to particular pathologies that begin... in the case of psychopaths, he believes, they're genetic. In the case of what he calls characteropaths, he calls it organic, it comes through maybe some sort of environmental damage, and then in the case of what he calls sociopaths, effectively, it comes from environmental influences like parents and so forth. But in any case, all of this combined, these pieces work together, these individuals, and then they spread this ideology.

An interesting thing about the ideology is that there are two sides to ideology in this analysis, that one side says taking that face value, like: 'Workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains,' you know, 'we're looking for economic equality,' 'we're looking for diversity equity and inclusion,' to put it in modern parlance. All of these are the outward-facing meanings of the term, but for the psychopaths, they have a different meaning, that they ascribe to the exact same language, and this is where this idea of double speak comes from. You think that they're talking about what they seem to be talking about, but what they patently suggest they're talking about, but really they have something else in mind, and only the Insiders know what that is.

Lee: Right. This is fascinating because it also explains something that we see happen all the time, I mean, I think that some of the most famous examples were with the Khmer Rouge, right? What we saw... the True Believers are always the first ones, historically. True Believers are usually the first ones to be executed by the regime because the people who are actually in charge are not True Believers, they're psychopaths, right? They're the Psychopaths. There's the top psychopath called the Spellbinder, and then, there are the other psychopaths who recognize in him an opportunity to satisfy their own bloody fantasies, and that's really the core of the regime, the psychopath, not the True Believers.

Michael: The True Believers are expendable. In fact, they have to be eliminated because they hold the ideal up against reality and that ideal must be banished because they can't have these people saying: 'No, what you said was we'd have economic equality, not ruled by a few Party leaders who live in lavish wealth.' 'You also said that this was for all the people, and you put all dissenters into prison, and you assassinate people arbitrarily on political grounds.' 'We can't have people holding that ideal up against reality, so they must be eliminated.' The useful idiots, as they were called by Stalin.

Lee: Right. 'We didn't mind you killing, we supported, and we helped when you killed our enemies, the bourgeoisie, the whatever; however we want to describe them, but once you turn your arms on us and our comrades who helped win the revolution, now, what's going on here.' It's like... Well, they're psychopaths, is what they are.

Michael, we got to take a quick break, we're going away for less than a minute. For anyone who's watching on YouTube or Facebook, make the jump, because when we come back, I want to ask Michael a big question: how does this apply to where we are right now in the United States? Are we looking at the growth of a pathocracy? So how much does political ponerology help us understand where we are right now? But, right now, if you're watching on YouTube or Facebook, make sure to make the jump exclusively to Epoch TV very quickly. We'll see you in less than a minute, make sure you make the jump and join us again.

[Dave Chapelle: He said: I know the system is rigged because I use it.
Lee: Trump is expressing something that a lot of people across the country have been feeling for a long time.
Trump: The corrupt political establishment is a machine, it has no soul.
"It's very easy to see how the media, for one, wants to typify Trump supporters.
Trump said he could shoot someone...
Trying to shape Trump as a white nationalist, and the only people who could possibly support Donald Trump are white nationalists. He put on Instagram an altered image of Trump to make Trump look black, and said: "Free my n-word Trump."]

Ditto. It was pretty good!
Only caught the YT first segment as I had not created a Epoch Times account that it asks for to view. Look forward to further segments.

Thought Michael's words here were good. It was also interesting to hear how PP had made him reevaluate is own thinking and work:

Lee asks:
...we look at in terms of economics, but we don't look at it the way that Political Ponerology does. So if you can... what is it? How does he explain... I believe he says that he has something like the formula for explaining the origins of evil. And, what is it?

Michael responds:
Well, I would call it a psychologistic approach, that approaches the whole origin of evil from the perspective of individual psychology. And it suggests that pathocracy, which is ruled by pathocrats, or psychopaths. It starts from the psychopaths themselves and is spread throughout society by psychopaths.

I've downloaded the auto-transcription and made some edits, but I'm pretty sure it needs more work.
Perhaps others would like to polish it?

This could be fixed:
There are a few drafts online, but then I got the real edition of Political Poneurology (Ponerology) Andrzej Łobaczewski

I don't know if this is the right place for this as I can't find another thread where Approaching Infinity/Harrison's excellent substack on Political Ponerology is discussed, but I just wanted to congratulate him and warmly recommend to all his latest post where he finally (as if Pathocracy was not deep enough) dives down (or perhaps up) into the nitty gritty of evil on this level being merely a representation or acting out of actual evil at a higher level - in other words a metaphysical reality within the universe at large. Cat among the pigeons time for all those who like to talk about the subject but at arms length and along socio-psycho-biological human lines (with none of those pesky 'aliens').

After teasing his way into the topic nicely, Harrison just jumps right in the deep end (with a caveat of please add all those 'perhaps' and 'maybes' you want) and in pretty plain language, understandable by all, lays out his thesis of why evil and how evil.

I'll leave the rest to Harrison. But I will be mighty intrigued by the response and where he takes this in further posts.

Loved the outro:

In short, psychobiological evil represents the primary earthly manifestation or agent of metaphysical evil. (That’s not to say that x limits itself to working exclusively through psychobiology, but that would require an even crazier article, and I think this one is crazy enough for now.)

That’s how I think things might work. Far out enough for you?

Nah Harrison, let's go further out there... but thank you for your courage in just putting this first step down, straight from the hip as it were.

Supernatural Evil and Ponerology - What is the metaphysical status of evil?

Harrison, that was a good recent substack on 'A ponerology glossary entry untangling conflicting definitions' - it will help people to unravel terms. Still know many that keep looking to the APSD terms for Psychopathy, that is well obscured in the language of the DSM, which you point out. This helps look at the history of terms and use.

When reading, could not help to remember the February 1996 session on double YY's, which of course would never be discussed in any terms of modern discourse. Still, it is a factor within the statistics somewhere.

Thanks for keeping the light on it all.

Michael Shellenberger and Peter Boghossian have released their Woke Psychopathology Taxonomy, based on Ponerology. Unfortunately, the chart itself is behind a paywall. :-(

The result is a crib sheet that we believe will be devastating to Woke ideology. The late Polish psychologist Andrew Lobaczewski, who lived under Nazism and Communism, argues in Political Ponerology that it’s not enough to condemn totalitarianism. We must also seek to explain it. And by explaining it, he meant to diagnose it psychologically. As such, in producing this Taxonomy, we are diagnosing Woke movements and the behaviors of their adherents, if not the individuals themselves, as psychopathological. We recognize that these claims, and the Taxonomy, will be controversial. But we think such controversy is necessary if we are to put an end to, or at least significantly reduce, the narcissistic, psychopathic, and histrionic behaviors that have come to define progressive politics.

Michael Shellenberger and Peter Boghossian have released their Woke Psychopathology Taxonomy, based on Ponerology. Unfortunately, the chart itself is behind a paywall. :-(

Peter Boghossian has the chart on his substack along with a link to download the pdf version.

Peter Boghossian has the chart on his substack along with a link to download the pdf version.

That taxonomy is quite useful.

I'd add one thing to the "Myths" part of the Climate Change category, one which is mentioned in every conversation about the subject and that is "- since industrial revolution more human-generated CO2, causing an accelerating rise in temperatures". In actuality the earth has not warmed since the industrial revolution (at least not by CO2-based AGW).

Attachments

• woke religion taxonomy.jpg
    woke religion taxonomy.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
Dr Robert Malone has an older copy of PP

Screenshot 2023-11-30 093326.png

I'm not surprised, he seems to understand what we're up against.

Added: just noticed your post from a few months back @Eboard10
Not only that, Robert Malone also mentions Harrison in Chapter 30 of his book "Lies My Gov't Told Me" in relation to his substack essays on Desmet and Lobaczewski :thup:

Last edited:
As I was reading the new edition yesterday, I got curious about how Lobaczewski might describe the US to date. It appears to me that the US, with Biden's criminal gang at the helm, is at least in the initial stages of pathocracy. All the signs, as described by L., are observable IMO.

Harrison and others, what's your analysis – at what stage of pathocracy is the US at the moment? Should we expect it to reach peak level soon?

Back
Top Bottom