Power outages and black-outs

angelburst29

The Living Force
Massive power outage hits San Francisco, shuts down businesses, BART station, cable cars, traffic lights
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/

Friday, April 21, 2017 - A massive blackout likely caused by a fire at a PG&E substation swept through San Francisco on Friday, darkening homes and businesses for hours, shutting down a subway station and all the cable cars, and knocking out streetlights across a wide swath of the city.

The power outage, which at its height affected 88,000 customers, struck just after 9 a.m. when a fire erupted at a Pacific Gas and Electric Co. depot at Larkin and Eddy streets.

A catastrophic failure of a circuit breaker ignited insulation, causing a fire and explosion, said Barry Anderson, a PG&E vice president. The substation was already scheduled for an overhaul, he said, which is expected to be completed by the fall of 2018.

The outage was “from old equipment,” Anderson said. “The equipment failed before we could get to the upgrade.”

Mayor Ed Lee said no major injuries or traffic collisions were caused by the outage. Hospitals in the blackout areas were operating on backup power, with surgeries and other procedures continuing without issue, he said.

By 2 p.m., the utility had restored power to 23,000 customers and hoped to have the power back on for everyone by 5 p.m.

The San Francisco Fire Department responded to more than 100 calls for service in the Financial District and beyond, including 20 elevators with people stuck inside, reported no injuries. Everywhere, sirens blared as engines maneuvered along streets jammed with traffic.

About 300 traffic lights were out — about a quarter of those across the city — and as a result cars backed up on downtown streets as drivers stewed and honked at each other. More than 100 parking control officers as well as police officers were deployed to control traffic through intersections.

BART’s Montgomery Station was closed for more than two hours, with trains running through the station without stopping, before the agency reopened by using generators just after 11:30 a.m. Still, elevators and escalators weren’t working.

All cable cars were down, as were several Muni bus lines that typically run on electricity from overhead wires, including the 30, 45, 22, and 24. Shuttles were put in place to provide service, according to the Municipal Transportation Agency.

Muni trains, however, were still running both underground and above ground, though delays were expected due to the extensive problems with traffic lights. The subway stop at Montgomery Street was closed, with Muni trains — like BART trains — running through without stopping.

Nineteen schools in San Francisco were struck by the outage, including Spring Valley Science School, Sutro Elementary, Civic Center Secondary School, Alamo Elementary, Galileo Academy of Science and Technology and Cobb Elementary.

The district “continues to monitor the situation,” said spokeswoman Gentle Blythe. “School site power outages are currently affecting utilities, including Internet. Student and staff safety is our priority. All schools remain open and are adjusting their instruction as needed. Families will be notified if something changes at their child’s school.”

The Phillip Burton Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse at 450 Golden Gate Ave. was among the many buildings closed down by the outage.

Firefighters reported that the substation fire was extinguished at 11 a.m. All PG&E employees who work at the site were safe, said utility spokesman Paul Doherty.

All around Union Square, the lights were out in the boutiques and restaurants, and rows of shuttered businesses extended into the Tenderloin and Chinatown. Workers stood outside, waiting, or in some cases they stood inside, with the doors closed.

Many hotels and some stores, including Neiman Marcus on Stockton Street, continued on as usual thanks to generators. “The money is stuck in the drawer,” said Italo Amaral, an employee with the Sutter Street cafe Bread and Cocoa, after his cash register and credit card machine lost power. “ “We’ll see what’s going to happen.”

Some businesses gave up and closed for the day. A lot of people just milled about, drinking coffee or staring at their phones.

A power outage made for a disastrous commute on the New York City subway system Friday morning, and the effects persisted as the evening rush began.

NIGHTMARE COMMUTE: Power Problems Strand New York Subway Riders, Create Major Delays Systemwide
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/21/power-problem-subway-delays/

Friday April 21, 2017 - As CBS2’s Alice Gainer reported, the B, D and E train station at 53rd Street and Seventh Avenue was still closed late Friday afternoon, and trains were bypassing the station as crews made repairs. Temporary generators have restored signal power, but the initial problem had not been fixed.

Not only were commuters frustrated, but Gov. Andrew Cuomo has ordered an investigation into it all.

On Friday morning, platforms were packed and some riders were stuck underground in the dark as the outage backed up trains all over the city.

Hundreds of riders were packed inside a D train when it got stuck in a tunnel just short of the subway stop at Seventh Avenue and 53rd Street after the signals lost power around 7:30 a.m.

[...] An E train had one car already in at the station platform when the outage happened. Riders were able to get out through that car.

One man from Brooklyn told 1010 WINS that his 30-minute commute took two hours and a woman from Queens who was on the stuck E train said her ride was 90 minutes.

Commuters posted pictures and video on Twitter of crowded subway platforms and dark trains.

Police officers redirected subway riders while the power was out, until Con Edison brought in the temporary generator to restore signal power around 11:30 a.m., 1010 WINS’ Roger Stern reported.

Elsewhere, people crowded onto platforms – as the outage cut power to signals, escalators, communication, and station lighting. The outage had a ripple effect throughout the system, with at least 11 lines affected.

Cuomo was furious about the situation. He has called on the state’s Department of Public Service and the MTA to conduct an investigation.

This RT article up on Sott says that there were blackouts in NYC, San Francisco and LA but was curiously lacking any detail about what happened in LA except a brief mention that there were outages at the LAX and other areas in the city.

https://www.sott.net/article/348853-Coincidence-Power-outages-strike-LA-New-York-and-San-Francisco

On many many Occasions yes.

It's often referred to as the SUN Earth Coupling.

That Channel is 1 of the Only Must Watch every Day channels I sub to.

Brilliant Update on the weather, with lot's of links and good Info.

Just recently they have organised an Earthquake prediction programme,
that is about 80% accurate.

For more Info , I would highly recommend this playlist and the most relevant,
"Geomagnetic Storms"
Seen here,
and linked Below,

https://youtu.be/qu5kOwcjvuE?list=PLHSoxioQtwZcJj_9clLz7Bggso7qg2PDj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5kOwcjvuE&list=PLHSoxioQtwZcJj_9clLz7Bggso7qg2PDj&index=8

_http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-22/yesterdays-broad-power-outage-likely-caused-geomagnetic-storm

Yesterday's Broad Power Outage Likely Caused By Geomagnetic Storm
by Tyler Durden
Apr 22, 2017 7:20 PM

Via StockBoardAsset.com,

Yesterday, a massive US power grid failure was seen across the entire United States in one simultaneous fashion. San Fransisco, New York, and Los Angeles were the three main areas that were hit the hardest. Each of the areas experienced challenges or shut downs in business commerce. Also, basic infrastructure such as communication networks, mass transportation, and supply chains experienced challenges. To many this seemed apocalyptic with anaylst citing possible cyber attacks amid mounting geopolitical turmoil across the globe. We’re shocked that mainstream media didn’t revive the failing Russian narrative for another round of fake news to confuse the masses. Personally, I don’t think it was a cyber attack or the Russians, but more of a Space Weather Event.

Space weather refers to the environmental conditions in Earth’s magnetosphere, ionosphere and thermosphere due to the Sun and the solar wind that can influence the functioning and reliability of spaceborne and ground-based systems and services or endanger property or human health.

Here is PG&E outage map from yesterday’s event. Widespread.

This is the Planetary K-Index, which 5 or greater indicates storm-level geomagnetic activity around earth. The latest space weather data signals a geomagnetic storm rolled in on April 20, 2017. During the elevated K-waves >5, San Fransisco, New York, and Los Angeles experienced power grid failures simultaneously.

Latest Space Weather Warnings

April 22, 2017 @ 08:40 UTC - Geomagnetic Storm Warning (UPDATED)

A moderate (G2) geomagnetic storm is currently in progress thanks to a high speed solar wind stream above 700 km/s. More storming is expected over the next several days as a coronal hole stream rattles our geomagnetic field. Sky watchers at middle to high latitudes should be alert for visible aurora during the next several nights.ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 6
Threshold Reached: 2017 Apr 22 0559 UTC
Synoptic Period: 0300-0600 UTC
Active Warning: Yes
NOAA Scale: G2 – Moderate

April 21, 2017 @ 02:40 UTC - Large Coronal Hole Returns / G2 Storm Watch

A large recurrent coronal hole last seen in March will become geoeffective beginning April 23rd. A moderate (G2) geomagnetic storm watch was added and high latitude sky watchers may be in for an aurora treat once an expected solar wind stream arrives past Earth. More updates in the days ahead. As always, stay tuned to SolarHam.com where you will find the most up to date information.

According to http://www.solarham.net/, who uses NOAA data, Geomagnetic Storm has been declared for the past few days.

Piecing together the puzzle, we understand the sun can unleash space weather that can have profound effects on ground based systems, as well as human health. In a report from NOAA titled: Geomagnetic Storms and the US Power Grid, the paper mentions how the US power grid is highly interconnected and susceptible to damage from geomagnetic storms.

US Power Grid is an interconnected system which may explain why San Fransisco, New York, and Los Angeles all experienced power failures relatively at the same time.

The report shows that the sun is the source of ‘GICs’ Geomagnetically Induced Current.

GICs can enter the earth’s surface through transformers in the power grid.

GICs can force a transformer tank wall to overheat

Just maybe thats what happened in San Fransisco with the substation fire

What is a substation?

A substation is a part of an electrical generation, transmission, and distribution system. Substations transform voltage from high to low, or the reverse, or perform any of several other important functions. Between the generating station and consumer, electric power may flow through several substations at different voltage levels. A substation may include transformers to change voltage levels between high transmission voltages and lower distribution voltages, or at the interconnection of two different transmission voltages.

2003 Substation fire due to a geomagnetic storm overheating a transformer

Take away points

Looking ahead, the growth of the US transmission grid has exploded in the past 60 years. This leaves an abundant amount of the US grid susceptible to more power outages and possibly widespread events.

Bonus: Executive Order — Coordinating Efforts to Prepare the Nation for Space Weather Events (Fall 2016). What does our Gov’t know that we don’t?

Yes, that was the first guess when I read about the blackouts: Sun-induced Geo-electrical activity. According to Spaceweather, Auroras could be seen from the northern states of the US last night. If I'm not mistaken in the timing of the blackouts, below is the approximate sequence of the two perturbations.

Attachments

• plot_image.jpg
    plot_image.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 221
mkrnhr said:
Yes, that was the first guess when I read about the blackouts: Sun-induced Geo-electrical activity. According to Spaceweather, Auroras could be seen from the northern states of the US last night. If I'm not mistaken in the timing of the blackouts, below is the approximate sequence of the two perturbations.

Some people are saying that it is the Solar sector Boundary crossing ,
Shown in the Image as the Blue Phi angle,
that may be having a large effect on things.

Another Link here , expalins how the Magnetic Poles of the Sun , in turning create a
concertinad Skirt around the Sun,
IMF.png

Where the Polarity of the Particles can switch very suddenly.
http://sidc.oma.be/news/269/welcome.html

Hi,

two days ago glitches started to show up in my computer function. I also felt somehow out of phase, but nothing serious happened. Older people were more affected by blood pressure variation and vertigo.

Yesterday I went through the Session of 14 June 2014, where the C's explained the causes of weird and dangerous political actions and also the intensification of the earth changes and out of place events.

and today I found this episode from ADAPT 2030:

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjnKEuWVJ3Y

Global Power Grids Went Down Due to Weak Magnetosphere & Plasma Electrification (352)

With the world news focusing on power grids and satellite disruptions all pointing to hackers or planned government exercises, the global media hasn't looked to the collapsing magnetosphere and weakened magnetic field from the Sun as a cause. Additionally during the same geomagnetic storm, a new never see n before type of auroral display was photographed, it was a plasma filament. When I say plasma filament, it is straight from ancient legends of dragons in the sky and gods in the heavens. Cross two of these streams and indeed a dragon would appear. Incredibly charged skies with blue auroras again. This is the real reason for power outages, and from this point forward it will intensify and we will see more power outages and we get closer to 2019.

Massive power outage between 21-22 April, 2017.
Intense and new kind of plasma phenomena in the sky.
Earth electromagnetic field was compressed which allowed cosmic rays influx.
Phase shift of our electric universe is not far away.

Here is another detailed report on the same issues, from BP Earthwatch:

Power Outage Update/Solar Wind Speed 1.678 Million MPH

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqqqaFKHsM

Indeed interesting times are ahead...

Shared Joy, I merged your post with the already existing thread on power outages and black-outs. :)

On the positive side, what I noticed was that people became somehow more open to listen and accept new kind of explanations about what's going on.
Maybe there is a chance too in all these out of commonplace events and situations - the only constant in this world is - Change !

I wanted to add just my observation of the last couple of days, i live in Northern Italy, about 2-3 days ago, i noticed that something has "changed in the air", i felt suddenly low on energy, had some difficulty concentrating, felt a little depressed and i was feeling pretty tired, i think all these symptoms may be related to the latest solar activity...

Andre' said:
I wanted to add just my observation of the last couple of days, i live in Northern Italy, about 2-3 days ago, i noticed that something has "changed in the air", i felt suddenly low on energy, had some difficulty concentrating, felt a little depressed and i was feeling pretty tired, i think all these symptoms may be related to the latest solar activity...

I've been really tired and sleepy since at least 4/22. People around me have been moody and irritable since 4/22. A connection to solar activity makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom