Preparedness

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
Laura said:
I talked to an old farmer down the road one day and he told me that during WW II, the government sent troops around to take the food from all the farms to feed the army. They took everything.

I was just thinking of that. The thing is, we for example live in an apartment building, with little possibility of hiding food (I actually store some of it in my wardrobe) and our basement, which is located at the far end of our building's underground parking lot and is basically a big room divided in small 3X5 m cubicles (one for each apartment) is only good for storage as long as there are no food shortages. That's probably the first place people would search, not to mention that it is accessible directly from the outside when the parking lot door opens to let cars in.

Would you be able to find a second hand commercial fridge? One of those big ones made of steel and with a lockable door? Or perhaps a lockable chest fridge/freezer?
That is if you have room in the apartment for it......

The reason for working out how to store food at room temperature (even if the plastic from vacuum packing leaches a little, I figure that if you have no other option, it's probably better than starving to death!) was so that you could put it anywhere. You could stack the packs in the wardrobe, under the bed, in the mattress......gut the TV and hide them in the back, hollow out books and put them in their.......etc
I think if you are in an apartment building, having a decoy (hidden but obvious) stash of food would be a good idea....where the bulk of your reserve is hidden every where else (including off premises....perhaps your car boot/under car seats?). I've wondered about renting storage space or hiding them at work too......
Having a decoy would stop the bulk of your food being taken should things get bad (using the decoy as the place you get your every day food from would be a good idea, only to stock it up slowly from the distributed stores).....this would be your last line of defence for your food reserves. Should that happen, but preferably before that happens.... it would be time to gather everything else up you had left and leave! You need a few exit strategies.

If one thing, actually having food reserves in a time of starvation is going to be a really big test of strategic enclosure. No one who is not eating the food should know you have any kind of reserve...including seeing you eating anything that doesn't look like rations. osit

A few weeks ago I bought food preservation jars made of glass. Between the jar and the lid you put a sealing made of vulcanized rubber. Then you fix the lid with two metal clamps. During the heating of the jar, water inside of the foods evaporates and the air expands, escaping through the rubber sealing -- acting like a overpressure valve. After cooling down, the air inside contracts, which generates a partial vacuum, which keeps the lid tightly shut. Because of that, you can remove the metal clamps. This method has the advantage that you'll be alarmed about a possible food spoiling when the lid doesn't sit tight any more.

This method also works in normal pots (no pressure cookers) at 100 degrees C, even when the jars are under water. I will start to experiment with preserving meat soon. First little amounts, then larger ones.

Also, it's useful to keep in mind that dehydrating and canning use different methods for preservation. Dehydrating aims at robbing from existing bacteria/fungi their medium of life, thereby inhibiting reproduction. On the other hand, canning tries to kill the majority of bacteria/fungi (like 99.999%) which makes reproduction unlikely, even with a lot of water present. The Wikipedia article about Food preservation is interesting!

Data said:
A few weeks ago I bought foot preservation jars made of glass. Between the jar and the lid you put a sealing made of vulcanized rubber. Then you fix the lid with two metal clamps. During the heating of the jar, water inside of the foods evaporates and the air expands, escaping through the rubber sealing -- acting like a overpressure valve. After cooling down, the air inside contracts, which generates a partial vacuum, which keeps the lid tightly shut. Because of that, you can remove the metal clamps. This method has the advantage that you'll be alarmed about a possible food spoiling when the lid doesn't sit tight any more.

This method also works in normal pots (no pressure cookers) at 100 degrees C, even when the jars are under water. I will start to experiment with preserving meat soon. First little amounts, then larger ones.

Also, it's useful to keep in mind that dehydrating and canning use different methods for preservation. Dehydrating aims at robbing from existing bacteria/fungi their medium of life, thereby inhibiting reproduction. On the other hand, canning tries to kill the majority of bacteria/fungi (like 99.999%) which makes reproduction unlikely, even with a lot of water present. The Wikipedia article about Food preservation is interesting!

Data, from what I've read just recently, meat should always be prepared in a pressure cooker at ca 114-118 degrees C (240 F). Otherwise certain bacteria (e.g. Clostridium botulinum type E, which produces botulinum-that is VERY toxic) will not be properly destroyed. If the temperature is 120C or over, the meat proteins will start to break up.

I could be wrong about this, but I thought I'd mention it. I'll be researching this further, thanks for this important and helpful thread!

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
Laura said:
I talked to an old farmer down the road one day and he told me that during WW II, the government sent troops around to take the food from all the farms to feed the army. They took everything.

I was just thinking of that. The thing is, we for example live in an apartment building, with little possibility of hiding food (I actually store some of it in my wardrobe) and our basement, which is located at the far end of our building's underground parking lot and is basically a big room divided in small 3X5 m cubicles (one for each apartment) is only good for storage as long as there are no food shortages. That's probably the first place people would search, not to mention that it is accessible directly from the outside when the parking lot door opens to let cars in.

Yeah, this is a problem for those of us living in similar circumstances. I'm also living in an apartment building. I can see a time coming when roving gangs will be forcibly entering homes to search for food, and when government agents will be doing the same. So where to keep food stores? In my building we don't have personal storage space outside the apartments themselves. The apartment itself is basically a box subdivided into rooms, and this makes it very easy to search. There are no nooks and crannies, or even a loft, such as one finds in older houses. But I'm thinking that it may be better to at least have some food stored in the apartment and face that risk, rather than rely completely on the local shops and supermarkets. Another issue is that my apartment is on the second floor, and the only way out is through the front door and down the stairs (or using the lift).

Looking up pressure cooking and canning meat I found this site, which looked quite helpful: _http://www.green-living-healthy-home.com/home-canning-pressure-canner.html

Quotes:

Home Canning Using A Steam Pressure Canner

Home canning using a steam pressure canner, processes foods as it destroys botulism. Low acid foods such as beans, peas, corn, asparagus,beets, greens, mushrooms, potatoes, meats, seafood, and squash, must all be processed in a steam pressure canner. It is the growth of the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum in canned food which causes the deadly form of food poisoning called botulism.

These bacteria spores which are comparable to plant seeds, can survive harmlessly in soil or water for many years. When ideal conditions exist for growth, the spoors produce vegetable cells which multiply rapidly and can produce a deadly toxin within 2-4 days of growth in an environment containing a moist low acid food, a temperature between 40-120 degrees Fahrenheit, and less than 2% oxygen. In other words, canned food is the perfect environment for botulism to grow. Botulism spoors are on all fresh food, but because they need an oxygen free environment they are harmless.

Most bacteria, yeasts, and molds are difficult to remove from food surfaces, and washing removes them only slightly.The home canning processing times recommended in most recipes ensure the destruction of the largest number of heat-resistant microorganisms in home canned foods. Properly sterilized home canning, will free food from spoilage, if lids are properly sealed, and items are stored below 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Storing jars at 50-75 degrees Fahrenheit, enhances retention of quality.

Steam Pressure Method

The steam pressure method of home canning processes foods under pressure at a temperature of 240 degrees. A steam pressure canner is required for low acid foods. It supplies the intense heat needed for the destruction of botulism bacteria.

A steam pressure canner consists of a heavy kettle with a rack. It also has a cover that can be clamped or locked down to make the kettle steam tight. The cover is fitted with a safety valve and a vent or petcock that can be opened or closed to allow steam to escape or to trap it. Also on the top is a pressure gauge that indicates pressure during processing.

Consider Your Altitude

One thing that is important to remember and to take into consideration when canning is your altitude. If you live above1000 feet you must adjust your processing times accordingly. Failure to lengthen the processing times may result in short term shelf life, or spoiled food due to the growth of mold and bacteria and other microorganismsnot detected by sight or smell. Food poisoning may ressult if the spoiled food is eaten. See the chart below for guidelines.

A word of caution, do not let yourself become distracted when using a pressure canner. You must watch them carefully to avoid accidents. Monitor the pressure gauge, and maintain a constant pressure while processing. One or two pounds either way is not critical, but any sudden loss of pressure or too much pressure can cause problems with the process.

Using Pressure Canners

1. Put 2-3 inches of hot water in the canner. Placed filled jars on the rack, using a jar lifter. Fasten the canner lid securely.

2. Leave weight(the piece that goes on top of the vent port) off or open petcock. Heat at the highest setting until steam flows from the petcock or vent port. As soon as the steam appears, set your timer for 10 minutes. At the end of the ten minutes put the weight on or close the petcock.

3. Maintain the high heat setting until the canner reaches the desired pressure.

4. Start timing when required pressure is reached. Always use a timer do not try to depend on your memory because timing is critical to the operation.

5. Reduce heat when pressure is reached (you may have to adjust heat occasionally to maintain Pressure). Sudden and large pressure variations during processing may cause unnecessary liquid losses from the jars. Some weighted gauges should jiggle every 2-3 times per minute. Others should rock slowly throughout processing. Please refer to the manufacturers guide.

6. When the timing is done remove the canner from the heat source. Do not run cold water over the canner to cool it. Forced cooling can cause food spoilage. Newer canners have a vent lock that drops when the canner is depressurized.

7. Once the pressure is relieved, remove the weight from the vent port or open the petcock. Wait 2 minutes then remove the lid. Lift the lid away from you to prevent steam burns.

8. Remove jars with a jar lifter and place them on racks or cookie sheets to cool. Make sure that there is space between the jars for air circulation. Do not tighten rings after processing jars.

9. Allow the jars to cool over night. As they cool you will hear the lids popping. This is a good sign, as it means the jars are sealing. The contents of the jars may continue boiling for a long time after removing them from the canner do not worry, as this is also normal.

10. The next day, check all of the jars and make sure they are sealed. Lids should be concave, and not give when you press on them. If a jar has not sealed, reprocess the product using a new sealed lid. Never reuse lids. Label all jars with the contents and the use by date. (1 year from the date of canning). This will help you to keep track of your stock.

Home canning can be a fun and useful activity for the whole family. You can produce high quality food that you will find useful in providing your family with a safe, nutritional diet.

Good Pressure Canning Recipes

Field Peas
Shell and sort peas. place in kettle with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Fill hot jars with peas and water. Slip a spatula around the inside of jar to remove air bubble. Seal and process for 40 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

Chicken Stock
1 4-5 lb stewing chicken
4 sm carrots
2 whole stalks celery
2 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
2 med onions whole

Put cut up chicken, vegetables and seasoning in large kettle. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer until the meat falls from the bone. Pour through a colander to separate stock from meat and vegetables. Cool stock in refrigerator over night.The next day skim off fat. Brng to a boil and then pour into hot jars. Seal and process for 45 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

Marinara Sauce
1 quart whole tomatoes
1 quart tomato sauce
1 quart crushed tomatoes
1 pt tomato paste
2 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp dried oregano
4 gloves garlic minced
2 tbsp olive oil

Saute garlic and spices in olive oil until garlic is golden. Take care not to burn the garlic. Add tomatoes, sauce, and paste. If needed add 1 qt water. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Pour into hot jars, seal and process for 30 minutes at 15 lbs pressure.

On the site there are some illustrations and a video clip. Could be helpful. :)

I've included a link to a forum on Polish meat processing including meat in jars,

Here you can buy cheap Jars: http://www.chomikgdow.home.pl/Sloacutej_hermetyczny_poj_05_litra_sloje_DZK500K-758.html

Collect all necessary information about taking and processing of meat in jars. I wonder how to calculate the required value for one person a day? in the absence of food?

Here are the rules in Polish

I'll check it next week I will describe them in English in this topic.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/index.php

Aragorn said:
Data, from what I've read just recently, meat should always be prepared in a pressure cooker at ca 114-118 degrees C (240 F). Otherwise certain bacteria (e.g. Clostridium botulinum type E, which produces botulinum-that is VERY toxic) will not be properly destroyed. If the temperature is 120C or over, the meat proteins will start to break up.

Thanks for the warning. Clostridium botulinum is a soil bacteria, so it's also prevalent in vegetables.

But temperature is not the only parameter to kill off bacteria. It's also the time of the exposure to temperature , the pH value and food curing (e.g. by salt).

I was searching around for some related info yesterday and found this forum:

_http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/index.php

It contains a lot of practical information and the experience of people who have been basically 'living off the grid' in some form or other. There are sections on raising chickens, rabbits etc. and a section on "preserving the harvest" about canning and dehydrating. I didn't dive too deep but did review a good many of the topics - it may be a useful resource. Lots of other similar forums out there too it seems. Remember the Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared.

Here's another 'homesteading' forum:

_http://forums.homestead.org/

I found some online instructions for a cheap jerky maker.

_http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/JerkyDrierInstructions.pdf

Also very detailed instructions on making pemmican once you dry your meat.

_http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

I got some good beef producer in my region, some organic and some what they call 100% natural. Organic is uselly twice as expensive to buy due to the license that is very expensive so, some producer won't buy their license but will offer beef of the same quality. If anyone want some address let me know. The meat I buy is very tender and lean because the farmer do not fatten the steer with grain in the last few week. If you have a freezer you can get a 1/4 of a beef for around $6.00 per pound. 1/4 beef is around 75 to 80 pound, it fit in a 6 cubic feet freezer with place to spare. Let me know if you are interested.

Data said:
Aragorn said:

Thanks for the warning. Clostridium botulinum is a soil bacteria, so it's also prevalent in vegetables.

But temperature is not the only parameter to kill off bacteria. It's also the time of the exposure to temperature , the pH value and food curing (e.g. by salt).

Yes, this is what I heard too, Data and its very important. Along with the great information provided on this thread about canning meat, I plan to ask a couple here in the area for all the practical details (including temperature and timing of canning various types of meat because they live off-grid) of their many years of canning experience--mostly lamb, as they raise sheep, but other kinds of meat as well. I will post this here early next week as soon as I have the details. Thank you Laura, for the helpful information re your experience of canning meat recently.
Hubby and I plan to spend time this year doing a lot of canning of meat even though we will have solar panels and a small freezer, we feel that anything could happen, so we had better be prepared. We also are able to hunt elk and venison around here, so that is a comfort.

Interesting thread. I gotta say, I don't like the idea of mobs and police raiding and taking my food. I need to put some of it in different locations. I'd hate to have to eat toxic rations too, but I guess I would if I wanted to live. I think I would hunt or forage bugs before eating that stuff. Honestly, this stuff scares me when I think about it.

The dehydrators sound like they would be the way to go, giving you more space. And the pemmican sounds really cool, thanks for the link Odyssey. The idea of something that is loaded with energy and can be used as a survival food is pretty cool. I don't think my body even needs meat, but I might consider it. I found some bars and tubs of pemmican here. Some of them have berries and honey.

I wonder why pemmican lasts so long. It is made with tallow and I bought a big bucket of tallow a few months ago. I had it out in 75 F temperature for about a month and the bottom third went rancid with brown specks in it. But pemmican is said to have an indefinite shelf life out of direct heat, no light, and a dry area.

I was thinking if you bought a bunch of those pemmican bars you could hide them practically anywhere.

Laura said:
Odyssey said:
There are lots of options on Amazon for pressure cookers/canners but all of them are made with aluminum. What kind are you using?

Since the food does not come in contact with the cooker because it is in sealed jars, it doesn't matter that it is aluminum.

I found a bit on the net about shelf-life. They say 2 years is average, but in jars that are kept in a cool, dark place, it can be longer. The issue there is the vitamin loss more than anything else. One can pretty easily tell if the food has "gone bad" and it's always a good idea to heat it thoroughly before eating if it is older. So, basically, it looks like canned meat in jars, not metal cans, can last five years. I'm thinking it's gonna be three years or so before the economy sorts itself out, so a bunch of canned meat on hand might not be a bad idea.

Laura I just watched wideo Healthy Homemade Sausage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgNufnjfZU

Can you make video how to make Meat in jars ?
As for provisions, spices, cooking utensils, how long to cook, how to store what jars ?

And how to make sausage in jars ?

Quote from: Redfox
I've also looked into vacuum sealing food. It seems that the right combination of properly dehydrated and vacuum sealed food should last a year (if not more) at room temperature.

Is vacuum always in plastic containers and bags? Isn't that bad for the food inside?

We had this concern as well with regard to vacuum sealing our dehydrated food. We place the dehydrated food first in wax paper bags and then vacuum seal so the food is not in direct contact with the plastic.

Redfox said:
Would you be able to find a second hand commercial fridge? One of those big ones made of steel and with a lockable door? Or perhaps a lockable chest fridge/freezer? That is if you have room in the apartment for it......

We don't, unfortunately. But anyway, if there are indeed searches, this would be the first place they look at, so...

Redfox said:
You could stack the packs in the wardrobe, under the bed, in the mattress......gut the TV and hide them in the back, hollow out books and put them in their.......etc. I think if you are in an apartment building, having a decoy (hidden but obvious) stash of food would be a good idea....where the bulk of your reserve is hidden every where else (including off premises....perhaps your car boot/under car seats?).

We were thinking the same! Also, we have some space between our (very high) wardrobe and the ceiling.

Redfox said:
If one thing, actually having food reserves in a time of starvation is going to be a really big test of strategic enclosure. No one who is not eating the food should know you have any kind of reserve..

Absolutely. And for us, it will even be towards our daughter: she is 4 and she repeats everything to every one we know! Where we went, what we did, what we ate. I told her she does not need to do that, but she needs to share, I guess.

3D Student said:
I'd hate to have to eat toxic rations too,

This is all hypothetical of course, but my husband Tigersoap was saying that if we have stored food, maybe food stamps for bread or other toxic food could be swapped for other stuff that we need, so that's a small comfort.

3D Student said:
I bought a big bucket of tallow a few months ago. I had it out in 75 F temperature for about a month and the bottom third went rancid with brown specks in it

We bought tallow and it will be good only until May 2011. So we were thinking about vacuum-sealing it. Maybe that could help you for next time?

Back
Top Bottom