Preparedness

Maintaining the capacity for information will be vital (as others have posted) as things accelerate globally.

The green dots on this Google Earth map represent radio stations WORLDWIDE Click on any of the green dots and you will immediately hear that station with very good reception. Click the link http://radio.garden

Flashback: California 2013
Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 08-03-50 Metcalf sniper attack - Wikipedia.png

Shortwave 101 Beginner series When do we use USB LSB modes on the Shortwave bands
Jul 29, 2022
Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 07-34-38 Radio Free Earth Signed Paperback Warp Speed Now.png
Related Threads

SGF article below:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 08-14-44 Thieves raid PG&E substation hit by snipers in 2013.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 08-14-44 Thieves raid PG&E substation hit by snipers in 2013.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Shortwave 101 Beginner series When do we use USB LSB modes on the Shortwave bands

I got a shortwave radio recently - it's always been an interest, my dad and grandpa were both radio guys (professionally and then later hobbyist). I used to listen to shortwave and mess around with CB radio as a kid.. So, getting a license to *transmit* on ham radio is a big process.. But just listening to it is very easy and fun, and potentially vital in future yeah!

I bought a basic entry-level modern radio (Tecsun PL-660 is what I got, just because it was available locally to me) which runs off AA batteries & lets you plug in an external antenna (THIS is a vital difference between a proper shortwave radio and the shortwave ability of many ordinary boomboxes/radios), which is just (in this case) a 10-metre long wire. I run that wire out my window and along under the eaves of my house, and have so far been able to pick up radio stations from England, France, the Solomon Islands, Thailand, India, New Zealand, Africa and - by far outnumbering all the others, China. I'm in Australia so this balance is to be expected... Sadly there only seem to be a couple Australian shortwave stations online these days. There are even nightly Russian broadcasts I pick up, but I'm pretty sure they're actually run and broadcast from a Chinese station, for Russians living in China. This radio also lets you use USB/LSB (upper/lower sidebands) and has air frequencies used by planes, helicopters etc.. can pick up planes flying overhead, local air traffic control, etc. Unfortunately this radio can't pick up CB citizen's band - I mistakenly thought it could when I bought it.. CB is still used a lot by truck drivers, off-road drivers etc..

Anyway so I don't have much knowledge about all this, or about emergency power generation or anything much actually useful. Yet. But I just wanted to say, a little shortwave radio is really easy to get into, so if anyone's interested in it but has no experience with it, don't worry! There's nothing to it.. You can even just run the aerial across your bedroom and, especially for those of you in the Northern hemisphere, be able to pick up HEAPS of stations. And it gets you thinking about things in the radio sort of way.. (also very interesting listening to the changes in the signal due to atmospheric conditions etc)

(...."one day" I'd love to get a ham license. there is such a thing as packet radio data transmission - you can run a computer bulletin board system over radio waves at a nice slow 300 baud or so, IIRC!)

Tecsun-PL660.jpg

Back
Top Bottom