Preparedness

If anyone is looking for a small and transportable, but effective water filter in case of emergency, then the LifeStraw Family might be worth picking up. It's pretty affordable for what it provides.

http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw/lifestraw-family/features

http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw-family-1-0

Filters up to 4,750 gallons or 18,000 liters of water to 0.02 microns (20 nm)
Removes minimum 99.99% of viruses (>LOG 4 reduction)
Removes minimum 99.9999% of bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
Removes minimum 99.9% of protozoan cysts (>LOG 3 reduction)
Requires no electrical power, batteries, or replacement parts
Requires no running water or piped-in water supply
Flow-rate of 9-12 liters/hour
Has an easy-to-clean pre-filter and purification cartridge
All raw materials are US FDA compliant or equivalent
Internationally recognized & award-winning water filter
Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005

Thanks for the tip Bear. If it performs half as well as promised it would be a great addition to a preparedness program. And wonder of wonders, there's a retail outlet in my (very small) town that carries it. I'll be checking it out soon.

LifeStraw also makes a LifeStraw Personal Water Filter which is a small filter you basically use like a straw that is about $20. From reviews I read it works well. Two draw backs of it are you can't really effectively filter for cooking, since you basically drink right from it, and the filter isn't designed to get out viruses. The filtering is too big and viruses will supposedly pass through. But in an emergency if you are out and about, it might be worth having.

Bear said:
LifeStraw also makes a LifeStraw Personal Water Filter which is a small filter you basically use like a straw that is about $20. From reviews I read it works well. Two draw backs of it are you can't really effectively filter for cooking, since you basically drink right from it, and the filter isn't designed to get out viruses. The filtering is too big and viruses will supposedly pass through. But in an emergency if you are out and about, it might be worth having.

According to their website, it removed bacteria:

Details

The LifeStraw personal water filter, a "Best Invention of the Year" (Time magazine) winner, enables users to drink water safely from contaminated water sources. LifeStraw is ideal for homeowners during emergencies such as local flooding which can contaminate drinking water supplies. LifeStraw is also ideal for campers and hikers who may be drinking from rivers or lakes and are unsure of the water safety. Because LifeStraw is lightweight and compact, it is also great for travelers who do not want to rely on the quality of local water.

LifeStraw is the most advanced personal water filter available today. LifeStraw surpasses EPA guidelines for E. coli, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium oocysts, rigorous standards for water filtration.

Eartheasy is the official wholesale distributor and retail launch partner for LifeStraw, which is now available for US and Canadian customers to purchase. Since 2005, LifeStraw has been used in developing countries to assist in achieving the United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals for clean drinking water. We’re excited to help launch this useful product in North America.
Features & Benefits

Filters up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) of water
Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)
Reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns
Ultralight: weighs only 2oz!
Does NOT use iodine or iodinized resin
Contains no chemicals (and is BPA-free), uses no batteries, has no moving parts
Very high flow rate; no after taste (because no iodine or chlorine are used)
Easy to clean. Can be stored and used periodically. Just keep uncapped so it can dry thoroughly.
Very durable
No shelf life. LifeStraw can be stored indefinitely. (Former shelf life estimates have been revised.)
Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
Award winning & internationally recognized

For each LifeStraw sold in North America one school child in the developing world receives clean water for an entire school year. This is accomplished with the donation of LifeStraw Community water purifiers to schools. We also have a tree planted for every order through our partnership with Trees for the Future Foundation.
What LifeStraw removes/filters:

LifeStraw filters down to an incredible, 0.2 microns in size! This removes virtually all the bacteria (99.9999%) and protozoa (99.9%) from contaminated water, and reduces turbidity (muddiness) by filtering out suspended particles.
Bacteria removed include:

Escherichia coli,
Campylobacter,
Vibrio cholerae,
Pseudomonas aeruginosa,
Shigella
Salmonella

Protozoa removed include:

Giardia lamblia ("Beaver Fever")
Cryptosporidium Parvum
Entamoeba histolytica.

Specifications:

Length: 9 inches
Width: 1 inch
Weight: 2 ounces
Construction: durable plastic. Does not require replacement parts or batteries, or any chemicals.
Capacity: filters up to 264 gallons (1000 liters) of water.
Included: Comes with a lanyard, and a cap for the mouth piece and end piece

For preparedness, there is also an 'Atmospheric Water Generator' (AWG), it seems it can make water from the humidity of air.

I heard about it because of my doctor that uses it, but other than that I don't know.

Hmm, it could be useful. I wonder if it needs also a filter for the water it generates.

Here are mass scale AWG projects from a French company. When I first saw the turbine one I was like that could have a big impact on the world. If I was a billionaire I'd give my money toward projects like these... but I guess you don't get to that place with such dreams.

http://www.eolewater.com/gb/our-products/range.html

edit added: What we could do for people and the world if developing and using technology and the concept of money wasn't about control, destruction, and getting more. Imagine a desert area reborn helping to sustain people using such technology. Makes me mad and sad.

Str!ke said:
For preparedness, there is also an 'Atmospheric Water Generator' (AWG), it seems it can make water from the humidity of air.

I heard about it because of my doctor that uses it, but other than that I don't know.

Hmm, it could be useful. I wonder if it needs also a filter for the water it generates.

Cool idea!

In german I have only found this here:
http://fairplanet.net/2009/05/ecoloblue-2/

In: Live Green + Clean
by atsil on May 12, 2009

Ecoloblue 28 (green)

“EcoloBlue” – ein neues Produkt und eine bemerkenswerte Anwendung moderner Wassertechnologie für den Hausgebrauch ebenso wie für den industriellen Einsatz.

Der “EcoloBlue 28″ ist ein atmosphärischer Wassergenerator, der die Feuchtigkeit aus der Außenluft einfängt und sie in täglich bis zu 28 Liter reines Trinkwasser umwandeln kann.

Im Schnitt erzeugt die Generierung von 1 Liter Wasser mit dem “EcoloBlue 28″ Stromkosten in Höhe von USD 0,052 (= € 0,038). Das ist ungefähr ein halber Dollar für 10 Liter Wasser (entsprechend ca. 40 Eurocent)! Vergleichen Sie das mit dem Literpreis Ihres Wasserversorgungsunternehmens und Sie werden erkennen, daß Ihre Einsparungen erstaunlich hoch sein können. (Bei Heranziehung bundesdurchschnittlich optimaler deutscher Strompreise kostet der Liter EcoloBlue-generiertes Wasser[1. siehe Labor-Berichte 2007-2009] € 0,078, zehn Liter Wasser dementsprechend ca. 80 Eurocent! [2. vergleichen Sie selbst auf strom-magazin.de])

Andererseits beträgt der Kaufpreis von “EcoloBlue 28″ 1.350 USD, was nun nicht gerade die günstigste Alternative im Wasserzubereitungs-Sektor ist. Es gibt auch andere – einfache und elegante – Lösungen.[3. LifeStraw (Vestergaard-Frandsen, NL) + UV-Tube (RAEL,Berkeley) ]

Die industriellen Vorrichtungen könnten sogar in Flüchtlingslager gesandt werden, die an Wassermangel leiden, ja sogar in Dürregebiete.[4. vorausgesetzt, die Luftfeuchtigkeit dort beträgt mindestens 35%] Das könnte wirklich etwas bewirken!

Das “EcoloBlue”-Industrie-Gerät kann in seiner größten Ausführung der Luft bis zu 5.000 Liter Wasser täglich entziehen. Dieses Modell kann durch eine alternative Energiequelle betrieben werden – z.B. mit Solar- und/oder Windenergie. Hierbei betragen – abgesehen von einem gelegentlichen Filterwechsel – bei den größeren Modellen die Betriebskosten gegen USD 0,00!

Da diese Geräte Wasser aus der Luftfeuchtigkeit generieren, können sie so gut wie überall eingesetzt werden: Zu Hause oder im Büro, in Laboratorien, Sport-Clubs, Hotels, Flughäfen oder in humanitären Krisengebieten.

EB-Technology

Zur Gewinnung sauberen Trinkwasser verwendet “EcoloBlue” ein mehrstufiges Filtersystem ohne Chemie: Umkehrosmose, UV-Filter. Gleichzeitig wird die Luft durch einen elektrostatischen Filter mit antibaktierieller und antifungizider Wirkung gereinigt. Das Trinkwasser kann beim “EcoloBlue 28″ wie auch bei allen fünf Industriegeräten sowohl auf 95C° erhitzt als auch auf 5C° gekühlt werden.

Mehr zum das Thema “Trinkwassererzeugung” erfahren Sie auf der Website der Clinton Global Initiative (CGI): 15 Mitglieder haben an die 460 Millionen US-Dollar solchen Projekte zugesichert, die den Zugang zu sauberem Wasser für mehr als sechs Millionen Menschen weltweit verbessern:

Water a Big Winner at CGI Annual Meeting

Originalartikel von Itai Lahat

Saw an interesting article 'Unusual Improvised Ways of Making Fire'. Haven't tried them but notice it includes a use for junkfood :)

An old TV, junk food, Brillo pad, plastic bottle, condom, battery, ice.

These might save your life. (When did you ever hear that junk food could save your life?)

Impress your spouse and friends. Even more important, keep yourself alive! Learn how to start fires without a lighter, matches, or store-bought survival equipment.

Any readers familiar with my writing know that I promote being able to work with the materials at hand. If you have great equipment, it makes your job really easy. Unfortunately, that’s not often the case.

So, you’re in a situation where you need a fire but don’t have a lighter or matches? No problem. Just start looking around.

Utilizing Everyday Items

Cell Phone and Brillo Pad

Take out your cell phone and try to call for help. No reception? No problem.

Pull the battery and look for the contact points, positive and negative, at the base. Now fish around in your cooking stuff -ah, a Brillo pad. Pull off a piece, roll it into a short length of Brillo twine, and put one end on each of those metal parts. It will glow/spark a little and smoke. When smoking well, put it in your tinder, blow gently, and you’re in business!

Tip: If you want to save your mobile phone to make a call and have a regular battery, especially a 9-volt, check out “Battery and Brillo” below.

Old Wide Screen TV

Seriously? Fire from an old TV? Yep. Maybe even metal-boiling laser quality.

You’re with your giant, beloved, old, scale-tipping rear projection TV. You know the one: you watched your favorite shows on it for years and just couldn’t bear to part with it after your spouse insisted you get a thin, new TV. Or, you might not have gotten rid of it because these things are really, really heavy to move and you might throw out your back.

Unscrew and remove the panels on the front under the screen and remove the screen from the frame.

Once off, there should be several different films or screens. Look for one that’s a large, rectangular acrylic lens with a kind of magnifying glass curvature in the middle. That’s a Fresnel lens. Different TVs have different quality lenses that will work with varying results. Hopefully, you’ll find a good quality one that’s clean and clear. Careful! The lenses can be delicate.

Set up that giant magnifier in the sunlight and focus it on something to be put aflame. You have not only something that can start a fire: it’s practically a laser! Honestly, you can even melt metal things with it, so be very careful. Don’t point it at anyone, and protect your eyes.

Around the House

Clear Plastic Bottle

You can take a plastic bottle like you might be drinking soda out of, remove the label, keep-or-fill it with clear liquid, and start a fire by focusing the sun’s rays through the bottom, curved part of the bottle.

Tip: Clear bottle and fluid is best, but you can try with colored bottle or fluid if you have to.

If you are trying to start something white/light like paper or white cloth, rub some dirt on the paper/cloth and shake off the excess. Printed paper works fine because it has dark areas. The dark color helps heat it up. Blow or fan your tinder, adding more until you build a fire.

Balloons and Condoms

These items are maybe not quite as easy as a bottle, but can work in a pinch.

Let’s say you happen to have either of these items in your pocket. Or both. Hey, I’m not here to judge.

Put some water in one and tie it off. Don’t make it too big or you won’t be able to distort the focal point of the sun. Squeeze it to find a shape that will give you a small, bright spot of sunlight. It will focus much closer than you might expect, so hold it just an inch or two from the tinder.

Battery and Brillo

There’s that Brillo pad again. That conductive, tinder-like metal is pretty useful for turning electricity into fire.

9-volt batteries are easiest to use for this because the connecting points are on the same end, but others work, too. Just spread out the Brillo and place/rub the battery connective points on it. If you have something other than 9 volt, try placing a thick strip of Brillo on one end and connecting it to the other.

You should see results immediately. Quickly move it to your tinder because the spark/glow isn’t going to last.

Ice Fire and Junk Food? Really?

This technique received a very good response when I mentioned it in an earlier article, so it’s worth repeating.

The idea is to use your knife and/or the warmth of your hands to polish a chunk of ice into a good-sized magnifying lens that will start your tinder.

Just like the technique with the plastic bottle, the clearer, the better. Search for ice that’s not cloudy or filled with debris.

If you have the time and won’t freeze while waiting for it, you can fill a bowl with about 2 inches of clear water/melted snow and let it freeze.

You know the convex shape of a magnifying lens: thin on the edges, thick in the middle. Cut/work/rub the ice into that shape. Polish it with the heat from your hands. Always be careful not to get frostbite.

Once ready, focus it on tinder. Honestly, this technique is not always easy to do, but it’s an option.

Junk Food to the Rescue

Okay, so maybe the end of the civilized world comes just at the moment you’re enjoying a particularly unhealthy snack of a chocolate bar and a can of soda pop. For once, this combo might save your life!

Take a piece of the chocolate (or toothpaste, or try something else if you’re in trouble) and rub it around on the concave bottom of the can. Polish it with a rag. Repeat this a few times until the can bottom is very shiny.

Point the end of the can directly toward sunlight and place your tinder about an inch away. Adjust it until the bright dot sends tendrils of smoke into the air, and start your fire.
_http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2013/10/unusual-improvised-ways-of-making-fire/

FWIW, regarding 'Unusual Improvised Ways of Making Fire', it reminds me of some videos that might relate well with what you have posted.
For instance, instead of a plastic bottle, you could use a piece of plastic wrap and your pee' to make a fire.

These are some videos I found interesting, though in his channel he has a lot more, and in the description of the videos, there's a bit more of info about each subject.

Making Fire:

Also related to preparedness:
Hope it helps

Str!ke said:
FWIW, regarding 'Unusual Improvised Ways of Making Fire', it reminds me of some videos that might relate well with what you have posted.
For instance, instead of a plastic bottle, you could use a piece of plastic wrap and your pee' to make a fire.

These are some videos I found interesting, though in his channel he has a lot more, and in the description of the videos, there's a bit more of info about each subject.

Making Fire:

Also related to preparedness:
Hope it helps

Hi Str!ike, thank you for sharing, but unfortunately the account seems to be deleted and with that all your suggested links are not working.

Eventually this is a similar video about making fire with water in a plastic bag:

Gawan said:
Hi Str!ike, thank you for sharing, but unfortunately the account seems to be deleted and with that all your suggested links are not working.

Eventually this is a similar video about making fire with water in a plastic bag:

Wow I checked them 2 days ago, weird :huh:. Hmm I think I downloaded some of them, I'll check if I can get them.

Got a few of them, the thing is that they're of lesser quality, however the maker of those videos is gonna re-upload them somewhere else.
Well, here it is and in some of them there's more information in the description:

------

Nevermind, he just recovered his account and the previous links now work too! all except for the HHO generator one, which you can see it here:

https://vimeo.com/77561513

Thanks again and really interesting video and this guy seems to do proper work imo.

I have 12 of these and they throw more light then you might think.
Just put them out in the sunlight and then bring them in at night.
I got them for the hen house to keep predators away, but these could also be used in place of candles should the power go out for any extended time.
They do work very well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261309382808?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2661#ht_131wt_753

Something to add about solar lights of the garden type. It's good to get the kind that have a more common battery vs. the kind with the odd ball size/type. The purpose of getting the more common type is you can use it (on sunny days) to recharge other (rechargeable or not) batteries.

Back
Top Bottom