Prodigal son's homecoming

I am glad to hear the surgery went well and that you are recovering, NewOrleans. I hope you heal quickly! :flowers:

I wish you as well a speedy recovery and and it is great to read that everything went fine :flowers:.

NewOrleans said:
My eye doctor told me that this was not diabetes related, but still problematic. Cataracts as well as other retinal problems on the verge of getting worse. Nevertheless, a stricter diet did get it down as recommended for pre-surgery exams. My surgeon did great work and I'm in recovery. Still, I must limit my online time for a while longer. I'll have much reading to catch up on. Although I reached my online goal, the amount of the surgery, plus living expenses as I heal, is much, much larger than I anticipated. I'll find a way until I get back to working again.

One thing to report: the grass IS greener on the other side. Grateful.

Happy to hear the surgery went well! I hope your eyes heal soon, rest well :flowers:

Very happy to hear your surgery went well NewOrleans, wishing you a speedy recovery, be well.

Well actually the surgery did not go as well as I planned. My right eye is wonky and I've been very distressed at the results. I know some think that being an artist is no great thing, but I'm a working craftsman and it's my bread and butter. No more, no less. As an artist, if I can't draw I can't work and earn money for necessities.

So rather than sit and do useless emotional worrying, I called the eye doctor and asked that he be an advocate for me getting a third surgery, at their expense.He was kind enough to double check my vision and free-of-charge give me a pair of corrective glasses that will temporarily help me work. I'm extremely grateful for his kindness.

I EXPLAINED to the original surgeon that as an artist, my work is close up. and he tossed it off with assurances that I'll be fine. What I traded was farsightedness for nearsightedness and that has completely transformed my interaction with things I was experiencing. I couldn't even read his business card to call. And it cost a huge amount of money I have yet to pay: $4,000 for this above health care costs. It wasn't simple cataract surgery, That I could have gotten at any shopping mall outlet for that. I had a detaching retina, multiple cataracts and a distortion surgery on the outer lens.Inserted was an artificial lense I wish I remembered the medical term for this: Tusyck surgery if I recall.

Anyway I'm on the verge of a large assignment: drawing 100 dogs for a book project. There is a famous 1940 poem by Eugene O'Neill: "The Last Will and Testament of an Extremely Distinguished Dog" you would find a poignant and elegant poem by a great man grieving for his lost companion. They contacted me out-of-the-blue like a miracle. I am trying to get up to speed by drawing dogs every single day. (This from a confirmed cat person.) I know this will save my ass, pardon the expression, from dire circumstances. So I'm immersing myself in the noble dog breeds and the famous poem.

Thank you for the supportive encouragement.

On a second front, I had a huge blowout with my ex-wife AND my best friend. She was perfectly right in her scathing assessment of my behavior. Its loved ones that can best point out the gaps in self-awareness. I've been cruel, thoughtless and selfish. She's been in grief over it and I have no excuse. As much as I need mirroring here, I plan on going to a men's mental health group with a shrink and sort out my disfunction. It's time I repair my repetitive ways. I'm not going to let the shock of their assessment wear off and build up buffers again as I have so often done. With new eyes comes a sense that I need to really work on myself. I'm needing some honesty and that is the hardest thing to do, as Anart Grey used to say….

I'll be back when I can.

Thanks for this new update, NewOrleans. It's a mixed bag really. I hope your new assignment will get you out of financial trouble, but I suppose that's probably just the minor worry compared to the other personal problems you mentioned.

I'm wishing and hoping you'll find the strength to cope with all what's on your plate right now. :hug2:

Here's the link to O'Neill's copyrighted text for 'Blemie', i.e. Silverdene Emblem O'Neill, his beloved dog -- a Dalmatian. Curiously, it's a text in prose. :huh:

Much appreciated, Palinurus. What I can say is that I have a new perspective.

I seem to be swimming through multiple disasters and yet, I'm not going to let it get me down. My eye is still not right and it's affecting my work. At first I was angry and then hysterical that I couldn't see close up - which is my whole work. I'm hoping for a third operation. I do draw but it's not the same, which pains me. I can't see anything clearly within arms reach without putting on these corrective glasses and even then, it's just not the same. Still I have to continue. I owe $4,000 for this surgery that, so far, (I feel) has ruined my vision. I'm expecting them to consent to a third surgery to fix it...Better then being blind but still.....

So yesterday, my ex-wife shears a tooth and we have to get to our dentist. Cha-ching, surgery for her. Temporary cap and schedule next week. And while I'm at the dentist, I get an email that my expected huge project from the Louisiana hospital has been cancelled. (Louisiana is flooded again with a major disaster) That's 3 months of financial security gone. The doctor I work with said he was very sorry. I was even MORE sorry because I had taken a gamble and completed the illustrated book before my eye surgery as an investment in having it done. Now it's useless - or at best - something to file away whenever someone needs illustrated medical advice on childhood obesity. Since I never had it in the bag, I can't get too upset about it: I'll just have to resolve to hunt for new work. This is when I start talking to the Universe and God. I'm not going to be pitiful and beg, I just need heaven to open up it's wallet.

And then there's the dog book. Even with the wonky eye I'm drawing. I need to draw 100 dogs. Everyday, I get up and figure out how I can make something work for this under present optical conditions. I pray to God. I read and reread the O'Neill poem and think of Blemie, the noble dog. The prose poem is a great one. Anyone who hasn't read it, Palinurus has graciously added a link. It's poignant and sad and uplifting. It's my job to make something worthy of it. And then get paid.

Typically, a surgeon will discuss expectations with the patient prior to choosing the power of the artificial lens implants. Do they want their vision to be as close to 20/20 at distance as possible? Do they want a bifocal lens implant? Do they want to keep near vision and use glasses for distance?

I'm sorry to hear these things were not thoroughly discussed with you, New Orleans. I often tell older people asking about Lasik Corrective Vision, if they are willing to always put glasses on to read? Being near-sighted all ones life, then giving it up after a surgery is a big adjustment!

If your surgery was complicated, I do not see them re-doing it. Although, Lasik surgery to induce near sighted vision could be an option, it will come with risks and costs. If you make an exact measurement of the distance you use to do your art work at (in inches, from eye to paper) a pair of magnifying glasses set for that focal point can be made. It most likely would be better than further surgery.

Palinurus said:
According to his fundraiser page it's progressive double cataracts:

I'm an artist, a designer. I've recently been diagnosed with progressive double cataracts, which is why everything is so blurry. I have a surgeon, but I don't have the dollars. My health insurance company says it's 'experimental" ( it's not, it's new and proven to restore 20/20 vision.) so they won't pay for it. I've just got to get this done. My livelihood depends on it. The surgery will cost about $4,000 and I want to have it done in about a month or two.
I'm looking for the generosity of strangers. I can offer customized avatar portraits for $100 each as a payback. Contact me and ask what it takes.

I'd be most grateful.

I just donated something to help him out a little. Hope all will go as smoothly as possible. :hug:

Wishing speedy recovery as well. :hug2:

Hi, I've been trying to find the link to gofundme, but it just takes me to the home page, so I couldn't donate anything, sorry.

If your health insurance company says it's 'experimental' then they're lying. Claude Monet had this op in 1923, so its simply not true. Bloody insurance company fraudsters!
http://www.skepticalartist.com/2013/06/25/claude-monet-and-ultraviolet-light-did-the-master-impressionist-painter-have-uv-supervision/

Ruth said:
Hi, I've been trying to find the link to gofundme, but it just takes me to the home page, so I couldn't donate anything, sorry.

Ruth, the link to gofundme was deactivated and the account terminated when the initial goal was reached. I'm not aware of a new fundraising campaign to cover the additional costs.

@NewOrleans: this piling up of multiple disasters reflects something of a swelling wave phenomenon, I presume. It's small comfort to know this will subside some time later into a period with (relatively) easy going circumstances but you have to cling on to that idea.

Please let us now whether we can assist you further in any shape or form. In the meantime, keep strong. :flowers:

I keep writing replies and then they keep disappearing before I post. four times now. <<laughing>> something doesn't like that I have stubborness to get up and write it again for the fifth time.

I truly believe that too, Palinurus, that we cling to Hope like a tiny boat in a typhoon. I pray that some divine grace shine on me in the darkness. Thank you for the encouragement.

Things got a bit worse today. I won't go into details, lest this disappear a fifth time. Bumpy ride!

Best of strength, New Orleans. :flowers: This situation sounds very hard, but it also sounds like you are keeping a healthy attitude towards it. The high seas can't storm forever. :boat:

Back
Top Bottom