Psychomantium Mirrors - Past, Present, Future?

Another thing that comes to my mind is that instead of covering the entire room in black, you could perhaps just cover the mirror in black so that there are no reflections from the room in the mirror. Like they do with professional monitors, like this one: Amazon.com

Additionally, the C's said, "soft, low, indirect lighting". Indirect means that the light should not go directly into the mirror, but it should bounce back from another surface. And soft means that the light should be diffused, possibly by some cloth. You can view a short tutorial about that here:

And DIY version here:

I think that the easiest way to get the appropriate light is to put the candles in a lantern, like this one: Amazon.com, and then just cover one side with aluminum foil, and the other three sides with frosted glass foil.

Here is another interesting article about 10 Hz flicker:

We have studied the effect of flashing at 10 Hz with LED light of different wavelength on the response of the alpha system. We have shown that this response, consistent with the drive of the frequency and the augmentation of the voltage of the alpha rhythms, is far more significant with the RED-LED than GREEN-LED or BLUE-LED or WHITE-LED (three-chrome) light flashing.

They also found that closed eyes with red light is even better than with eyes opened, so perhaps it's good that a person first spends some time just meditating with candlelight, before looking in a mirror surface.

Candlelight is fairly reddish, but should we try to make it more red? That's something that could be experimented with.

There are also some articles that say that sine waveforms, such as found in candlelight, where the light gradually increases and decreases, are better for visual stimulation than rectangular waveforms, where the light instantly turns on or off, such you would get with most LED lights. At least that's the case with low frequencies of flicker.

Also, lightness is more important than luminance. What is lightness?

Lightness is also a measurement of light output, but it is not linear because it is perceptually weighted. Human vision is much more sensitive to small changes in light perception under low light conditions than we are of the same change under higher light conditions.

This means that working in dim light conditions is better for visual stimulation than working in a bright environment.

I had an opportunity to sit in this recliner in a store, and I think that a recliner is a must for psychomantium. In my life, I was siting in a lot of armchairs, but never in a recliner like this. I felt so relaxed when I was in it. Somebody should do an experiment with brainwaves when sitting in different chairs. I'm sure there would be some interesting results.

This recliner was very comfortable, but I think that position of the head is also very important. I think that looking a little bit to the up puts you in a relaxed state of mind. Not sleepy, just relaxed.

I did a little experimenting with mini candles. It seems to me that the most important factor is a volume of the flame. That is why you need several candles, because the volume of the flame depends on the thickness of the wick. Or, in this case, several wicks together. And the more candles you have, the bigger the volume of the flame will be, so the higher chances will be that candles will flicker. For that reason, candles need to be close to each other, so that their flames will be merged. Which means that you could make a single candle with several wicks in it for the same effect. Or perhaps a candle with thicker wick, such as a Japanese traditional candle. Some say that they can flicker by itself.

How are Japanese Warosoku Traditionally Used?

In Japan Warosoku Candles are not customarily for casual use at dinner parties. They first came into use in buddhist ceremonies as early as the 7th century in the ancient Japanese capital of Nara, as a necessary tool to guiding and communicating with spirits and gods.

You will often find them used in prayer in Japanese in-house shrines, temples, or gravesites. They are thought to help the individual communicate, or be closer to the realm of the spirits. The candles are lit as a beacon of communication between the two worlds and are thus used accordingly, lining many ritual rooms in temples and shrines to ‘spiritually prime’ the space for rituals and rites.

Here is a video presentation of this phenomenon:

I just tried to light 5 big candles, but they do not oscillate. They have a diameter of 23 mm, so it seems that the oscillation cannot work with such a big diameter. In the scientific experiments, they were using the candles with the diameter of 6, 8 and 9 mm. I don't know what is the upper limit. I will need to do more experiments with smaller candles.

This turns out to be more difficult than I thought.

So I bought small candles with diameter of 8 mm. And when I bundled 5 of them and lit them up, they wouldn't flicker. I looked again the previous video about candle flicker, and I saw that they put the candles on the floor. So I decided to do the same. And the candles did flicker.

I tried to find an explanation for that, and I found an article where they talk about how the flicker is created not by the lack of oxygen, but by the drop of cold air on the candle. If that is true, that would mean that there was not enough difference between the temperature of the flame and the temperature of the above air when candles were approximately 1 meter from the ground. But when I put them on the floor, the difference was bigger and the flicker appeared. Another interesting thing is that the flicker would disappear if the candles were moved away from the wall. Perhaps because the air around the wall is colder?

I am not sure what kind of conclusion should I make about this. Perhaps that psychomantium should be used in a cold room? That would certainly be the case in the Middle Ages, because the fire was the only source of the heat in their rooms, and if they were not using their fireplace because the light from the fireplace would negatively interact with the candlelight, that means that the candles would be the only source of the heat in the room, which means that there would be a big difference in temperature between the candle flame and the surrounding air, which would increase the chance for flicker. Some scientists also suggest that a humidity can play a role, so perhaps an air humidifier can also improve the flicker.

The flicker itself produces very strong stimuli when the eyes are closed, much more than when they are opened.

A quote from my previous post comes from the 15 April 2000 session, not the 30 May 1998. And I missed this part about black mirrors:

Q: (L) Johan has some black mirrors. Would it be advantageous to trade my standard mirror for a black mirror?

A: Not necessary. Just need to utilize light correctly.

Session 15 April 2000

Speaking about correct utilization of light, there was also this:

Q: (L) Is there a ghost in our bedroom?

A: Yes.

Q: [Laughter] (L) What kind of a ghost?

A: Priest

Q: (L) And why does he hang around there?

A: More like an imprint that gets activated for "reruns" when the energies are right.

Q: (L) Is that what my dream was about last night? I was dreaming about the reality that happened to this priest? That his home was taken away brick by brick, all the furniture was removed, and he was left with nowhere to go?

A: Yes

Q: (Ark) Is it this ghost that is causing sleeping problems and other problems?

A: Yes

Q: (L) So how do we get rid of the ghost?

A: Change the energy.

Q: (L) How do you change the energy?

A: Move the dressing table.

Q: [Laughter] (L) Why?!

A: Mirror faces window.

Q: (Bubbles) So when the mirror faces the window, that does what?

A: Bounces waves of light energy.

Q: (Bubbles) So if we wanted to have a haunted house, we'd just need to have a bunch of mirrors in facing the windows. (L) Not that simple! So these problems started after I moved the furniture around, didn't they? (Ark) It's possible. (L) After I put the dressing table where I put it.

Session 20 August 2011

So, in the psychomantium, the mirror should bounce the light energy of candles? And that energy will activate something in us?

I wonder what kind of light activates the imprints? Moonlight?

There was also this about using the reflected light:

Q: (L) Okay, going in another direction: what was the use of the "12 mirrors" that the Chinese emperor Huang Ti supposedly used?

A: Collection of energy.

Q: (L) Were they really mirrors?

A: No.

Q: (L) Okay. They were just perceived as "mirrors" by the people who saw them, or the transmission of the information was corrupted. (A) What energy did they collect?

A: Electromagnetic.

Q: (L) What was this energy used for?

A: Power for his craft and other machines.

Q: (L) Well, where did Huang Ti come from?

A: Orion Lab.

Q: (L) And he had things that were described in the literature as robots or mechanical guys, didn't he? So those were his other machines. What did these machines do?

A: Many things.

Q: (A) I want to know... okay, they were collecting EM energy. Where was this energy coming from. I would also like to collect EM energy. Was this energy from the EM field, was it solar energy, from zero-point energy, or cosmic energy, or what? Where was this energy coming from?

A: Solar moon.

Q: What does that mean?

A: Reflected and therefore modified.

Q: (L) So that suggests the "mirror" concept of Huang Ti.

Session 23 August 2001

I imagine the primary culprit for candle flickering is air flow or movement. Near the floor, walls, doors or Windows would make sense. To induce a flicker perhaps crack a window somewhere or cause a gentle draft and place candles appropriately where there is air flow.

I imagine the primary culprit for candle flickering is air flow or movement. Near the floor, walls, doors or Windows would make sense. To induce a flicker perhaps crack a window somewhere or cause a gentle draft and place candles appropriately where there is air flow.

No, you cannot create this kind of flicker with just air flow. This is a very specific flicker that you need to see in order to understand it. It is not a regular movement of candlelight, that people usually consider as a flicker. Here is how it looks: Diameter 8 mm.3gp

This stroboscopic effect was used by two guys who made the so called Dreamachine: Dreamachine - Wikipedia

And modern scientist use it for brain entrainment.

Now, I just realized something. The C's said:

Light must be placed properly so as to illuminate black depth sufficiently. Also, chamber must be large enough to stimulate relaxed meditative state. And no seams or ripples must be evident in reflection. Lastly, patience must reign supreme, with as little anticipation as possible.

If the black depth that is seen in the mirror must be sufficiently illuminated, and if it is illuminated by a flickering light that I described in my previous posts, that means that the viewer would be looking at a flickering black depth which would work as a brain entrainment, and since this is a 10 Hz oscillation which is connected to alpha brainwaves, that would facilitate a relaxed meditative state in a viewer.

Big black chamber with flickering lights. Sounds like a movie theater to me. Interestingly, when people went to watch movies made in high frame rate of 48 FPS, they said that they didn't like it because it looked too real. But with the standard lower frame rate of 24 FPS, they said that they liked it much more because it was dreamlike.

Here is one comment about this phenomenon:

Most posts mention motion blur. This has nothing to do with it. You can have the same motion blur at any FPS. Just look at video games.

Some say it's because it's the way we're used to seeing it so it looks better. This is also silly logic.

24fps is simply the sweet spot founded somehow by accident but maintained as the standard due to creative intuition.

It's the sweet spot because it allows us our minds to experience and perceive a series of images as a smooth video, yet doesn't present any more images per second than needed.

Some filmmakers are now thinking more frames is simply better. But more frames than needed simply means more frames our brains have to interpret per second. In other words, are brains need to become more stimulated in order to process the information effectively.

In stimulating our brains via higher glutamate levels, other downstream changes happen to neurotransmitter and brain wave types. Put simply, as FPS increases beyond 24FPS, we move away from a dreamlike / trancelike state, into a more alert state involving more flight or fight perception systems there for waking survival.

A more restful state of mind is needed to be immersed into what you perceive. There's a reason why chemicals which temporarily block NDMA receptors (receptors which increase brain activity / glutamate) lead to very intense movie going experiences.

People who take ketamine and watch movies say they literally feel like they're in the movies. We all become a little dissociated without our egos when we watch film. Such drugs chemically enhance this.

Similarly, things like FPS can fine tune our brains functioning to create the ideal conditions to most vividly experience the shared dream.

Today is much colder than previous days, and my single candle now flickers in the same position in the room where multiple small candles wouldn't the previous days. It doesn't flicker constantly, it's doing it on and off, but it wasn't flickering at all at previous days. So it seems that I was right, you do need relatively cold room for this to work because you need sufficient difference in temperature between the flame and the above air. It is also raining today, so perhaps a moisture in the air is also playing a role.

Actually, you are right, the airflow is an important factor. I just did additional experiments and confirmed it. If the airflow is too strong, the flame will bend, but it will not flicker. But if it is just the right amount, even the single candle will flicker. I adjusted the airflow with how much my room door is opened. So if it is almost closed, but not completely, and the candle is near the door, the candle will flicker. But not all the time, it will switch from dancing into flickering mode. This is how it looks like: Single candle.3gp

This article talks about that: Influence of Co-flow on Flickering Diffusion Flame - Flow, Turbulence and Combustion

Apologies for the misunderstanding - however I'm glad my fresh eyes may have given you an idea, even if from my ignorance :-)

No worries. And yes, you have given me another view on this phenomenon I'm still trying to understand. :-)

The problem is that we are so accustomed to think that candle flicker is a dance of shadows made by moving candle flame, that we don't realize that candle flicker can be something completely different. And we needed scientists who study combustion to teach us more about it. And then, when you see it with your own eyes, you begin to understand it.

But thinking about this on a practical level, I think that perhaps the best way to do this is to use an oil lamp. For example, one oil lamp with 5 small wicks instead of 5 candles.

I found an article that explains almost everything that C's said about psychomantium. And the explanations are just remarkable. It is a must-read for anyone interested in building one.

Here are the most important excerpts from it:

During the past five years Hans Berger (1929-1933) has published a series of papers dealing with a remarkable electric effect which can be detected in the human subject by electrodes applied to the head. It consists of a rhythmic oscillation of potential with a frequency in the neighbourhood of 10 a second, appearing when the subject lies quietly with eyes closed and disappearing if the attention is fully occupied.

Berger has shown that the rhythm can be stopped by non-visual activity if the subject's whole attention is involved, but it is stopped far more effectively by a pattern in the visual field, however uninteresting.

In fact for the rhythm to appear, either the eyes must be shut, or the central part of the visual field must be uniform and the subject must not examine it too closely.

It is the perception of pattern or the attempt to perceive it that interferes with the rhythm
. The perception of light does not affect it: if the eyes are closed the rhythm persists, although the subject is aware that the room is light or dark and can say when the illumination is altered. Again, with the eyes open, the visual field can be made more or less uniform by arranging an opal glass bowl in front of the face and lighting it by a ring of lamps. The rhythm will appear after a time, and when it is established the illumination of the bowl can be varied without causing more than a momentary pause in the waves, provided that the light is not unpleasantly bright. On the other hand, a narrow band of shadow thrown across the field will stop the rhythm at once.

Absolute uniformity of the visual field is not essential, however; with the eyes shut the rhythm usually appears a short time before an after image has completely faded, and with the eyes open the peripheral part of the field may contain some pattern. But sharp contrasts nearer the central part of the field are prohibitive. Thus a few black spots on the opal screen, or a few small holes in the shutters of a dark room, will abolish the rhythm if the subject looks directly at them, but if they come into the peripheral field he may be aware that there is something there and yet the rhythm will persist.

Although there is the same contrast in the effect of a uniform and non-uniform field whether the eyes are closed or open, the closure of the eyes seems in itself to favour the development of the rhythm. The regular waves usually appear half a second or less after the eyes are shut, but if they remain open and the field is made uniform the waves may not appear for some minutes. The difference is chiefly noticeable when the subject is first confronted with a uniform field. This may be either the opal screen arrangement or the uniform black field produced by enclosing the head in a box lined with black velvet, or by making the whole room completely dark. To begin with the rhythm will only appear when the eyes are shut, and it will cease when they are opened, although the field is uniform. In a few minutes the rhythm will develop with the eyes open. It may still be disturbed when they are opened after a period of closure, but eventually opening them will cease to have any effect.

The most likely explanation is that the act of closing the eyes is coupled with an automatic withdrawal of the attention from visual phenomena. When our eyes are open we try to see something, even though we are in a room which is too dark for anything to be made out. So with the head before an opal screen or in a dark box the tendency is to look for some trace of detail, and to begin with it is only when the eyes are closed that the subject is completely indifferent to the content of the field. After a time he becomes used to his surroundings and it is easier to open the eyes without expecting and trying to see. It is then that the rhythm persists.

This explanation is based mainly on the introspection of one of us acting as subject. It must be admitted that when the eyes are open in the dark and the rhythm absent the feeling of " trying to see " is often very slight, although at times one may be conscious that one is peering into the blackness. But the explanation is supported by the fact that after the rhythm has become established it can be made to disappear at will by attempting to see some trace of detail in the field. The attempt is often attended with a feeling of muscular effort which probably implies convergence and accommodation, but the rhythm may go before this is felt.

An effort of the same kind can abolish the rhythm although the eyes are shut. In this case the effort causes a method of convergence which can be felt through the closed lids. But it is perhaps a mistake to group this with the other kinds of visual activity which abolish the rhythm, for it involves considerable mental effort and a non-visual activity of the same kind, e.g. straining the ears to hear a nearly inaudible sound (e.g. a watch ticking), is equally effective. On the other hand, when the eyes are first opened in the dark no conscious straining to see is needed to prevent the appearance of the rhythm.

It is concerned with pattern vision, but the rhythm can be abolished by attempting to see a pattern as well as by the sight of one.

It is clear, however, that the area which gives the rhythm is concerned specifically with visual activities and is not some general correlating centre. As was pointed out on p. 371 the visual activities which abolish the rhythm do not claim more than a small part of the subject's attention and if pattern vision is absent the rhythm persists in spite of other activities which demand a fair share of attention for themselves.

We have assumed that the area is so much a part of the visual apparatus that when vision is cut off there will be nothing left to disturb it. But an intense activity in the rest of the brain will do so, and it seems that if vision is permanently cut off the area is not allowed to remain idle but becomes gradually more and more accessible to excitations from other parts. In the end it will be continually disturbed and will have no chance of developing a synchronous beat. Thus the Berger rhythm is absent in the blind.

The essential condition for the appearance of the Berger rhythm is that pattern vision should be absent. It develops when the eyes are closed or if the visual field is uniform, and disappears whenever the central part of the field has any detail. The attempt to see detail, even though the field is uniform, abolishes the waves: for this reason the closure of the eyes, by withdrawing the attention from visual phenomena, aids the development of the rhythm. As Berger has shown, non-visual activities which demand the entire attention (e.g. mental arithmetic) abolish the waves; sensory stimuli which demand attention do so too.

We believe that the potential waves are due to the spontaneous beat of an area in the occipital cortex which is normally occupied by activities connected with pattern vision. When the area is unoccupied the neurones discharge spontaneously at a fixed rate (as in other parts of the central nervous system) and tend to beat in unison. Visual activity and widespread non-visual activity break up the synchronous beat by exposing the area to non-uniform excitation. In man a large area is normally occupied with visual activities; thus when the area has nothing to do and is free to develop a synchronous beat the potential changes are large enough to be detected outside the skull.

Now compare this with what the C's said:

Also, chamber must be large enough to stimulate relaxed meditative state. And no seams or ripples must be evident in reflection. Lastly, patience must reign supreme, with as little anticipation as possible.

In the article they also talk about the light flicker which can help us to induce this rhythm, the same 10 Hz flicker that I talked about in my previous posts:

Whatever the explanation of this may be, there is no doubt that when once the 10 a second flicker rhythm is established it can resist disturbing influences which would upset the spontaneous beat. The central part of the field need not be uniform—the subject can look at a black cross drawn in the centre of the opal screen, seeing its outlines clearly, and he can solve problems in mental arithmetic which would certainly abolish the Berger rhythm.

It is perhaps remarkable that the area can be excited rhythmically by the flicker, when it seems to be unaffected by a single change in the degree of illumination in the field. It would be easier to explain the cortical mechanism if a steady bright field gave a faster rhythm than a dark field, as it does with the response of the optic ganglion, but the fact remains that the rate can never be altered by changing the light intensity unless the changes are repeated very rapidly. Apparently the area is not concerned with the perception of light, but is near enough to the striate region to be affected by a rhythmic pulsation there.

And the C's also said that flicker is important:

A: The flicker is a key here.

And now we know why.

In this article, it is also mentioned that perhaps there is another thing that might help us to induce this rhythm:

It is interesting to find that powerful muscular contractions do not interfere with the rhythm although the subject exerts his full strength. Thus, gripping a pair of pliers as tightly as possible seems, if anything, to reinforce the waves. But a powerful muscular effort need not engage the entire attention, for it is possible to listen to the rhythm whilst the effort is made.

This reminded me of the anti-stress squeeze balls.

Back
Top Bottom