Putin Recognizes Donbass Republics, Sends Russian Military to 'Denazify' Ukraine

I don't as of yet. I doubt it has been already translated
well, it's all over Twitter now.: https://twitter.com/i/events/1483255084750282753

Some of the quotes directly above are from his televised speech announcing the operations.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday announced a military operation in Ukraine, claiming it’s intended to protect civilians.

In a televised address, Putin said the action comes in response to threats coming from Ukraine. He added that Russia doesn’t have a goal to occupy Ukraine. Putin said the responsibility for bloodshed lies with the Ukrainian “regime.”

Putin warned other countries that any attempt to interfere with the Russian action would lead to “consequences they have never seen.”

He accused the U.S. and its allies of ignoring Russia’s demand to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO and offer Moscow security guarantees.

He said the Russian military operation aims to ensure a “demilitarization” of Ukraine. Putin said that all Ukrainian servicemen who lay down arms will be able to safely leave the zone of combat.

There was no immediate reaction from the White House to Putin’s remarks, but U.S. officials have repeatedly pledged to place overwhelming sanctions on the Russian economy and Putin allies in retaliation for a further invasion of Ukraine.

Now, here's my thinking about this. For the past few weeks, NATO has been sending "military advisers" to Ukraine, then a few weeks ago, the US had theirs leave the country, Zajarova even announced that "they surely were there to accomplish a mission and this mission was clearly complete"

Russia has never acted impulsively, and so this military operation leads me to think that they probably knew of something far larger that was about to take place that made this the best possible move in order to protect Russia and her interest, this might turn into a lot of bad press and sanctions and whatnot. But I am thinking about the possibility of what could have been, that made this the better option.

God knows what tragedies Washington had in mind, I'd say they must have been large enough to make a military operation in Ukraine by Russia, despite the cost, more desirable.

Back
Top Bottom