Questions about Beelzebub's Tales

Questions

Through group meetings, directed meditation, sittings, Movements, tasks, individual direction, participating in Work gatherings, practising 1st, 2nd and 3rd line Work, inter alia. Doing what 'it' doesn't like. For this I need help.

The oral tradition is a key component of the esoteric stream that feeds the soul of Man.

When I Work on being I begin to become able to understand, through gnosis, many things that seemed opaque. I begin to uncover the Kingdom within. Kundabuffer, Atlantis, the Sphinx, Belcultassi, the Sun that doesn't light nor heat and many other things begin to be understood, organically.

You sound suspicious. Are you?

Questions

Vivitskaia said:
Through group meetings, directed meditation, sittings, Movements, tasks, individual direction, participating in Work gatherings, practising 1st, 2nd and 3rd line Work, inter alia. Doing what 'it' doesn't like. For this I need help.

The oral tradition is a key component of the esoteric stream that feeds the soul of Man.

When I Work on being I begin to become able to understand, through gnosis, many things that seemed opaque. I begin to uncover the Kingdom within. Kundabuffer, Atlantis, the Sphinx, Belcultassi, the Sun that doesn't light nor heat and many other things begin to be understood, organically.

You sound suspicious. Are you?
I am very skeptical of you. You sound as if you think you are special. You come off as one who is stuck in the mirror of self reflection. You sound as if your cup is full, full of intellectual self calming. You espouse an air of knowing but your behavior so far here appears quite the opposite.

For instance you are not very externally considerate of others in your posts. You seem to direct responses to specific individuals without reference. One word posts supposedly in response to who knows what, leave it to others to figure out not only who you are speaking to, but what you are speaking about.

Are you purposefully trying to come off as this mysterious entity with knowledge or some such thing? It seems like it. But to me it comes off as an intellectual facade of self reflection.

To me you jumped in here throwing out bait to get people to ask you of your knowledge. You want to play the role of teacher it seems. It seems to be a psychological ploy to position your role in interaction and to set a tone right off the bat as to the role that others than yourself must play in your presence.

Sorry you just don't come off as very genuine to me.

Questions

OK. Thank you for drawing my attention to quoting what I am referring to.

I wish to exchange with you. In order to do that I have to be what I am. If I come across as insincere, then that is what my starting point is right now.

I hope that we can exchange.

With good wishes,

Vivitskaia

Questions

Vivitskaia said:
100 peopl can attend group meetings, meditate, sit, move, do tasks, etc. and not achieve anything. Even George Costanza (Seinfeld) can "do what it doesn't like" and yet continue to be a narcissist. So what is work on Being if none of these activities are sufficient to achieve it?

Questions

christx11 said:
... you jumped in here throwing out bait to get people to ask you of your knowledge. You want to play the role of teacher it seems.
Vivitskaia said:
The title to this thread is "Questions", yes? Usually, I would see someone asking a question or two. I can and have been wrong before. Speaking for myself, when I think I'm onto something, thinking along a given path, I would ask around to gather different points of view. Ask what others think, see what they've found for themselves. Research & file said findings for possible future use. Proceed to apply said findings to the new hypothesis. And see if it sticks on the wall, so to speak. I can't begin to tell you how many times I thought I was right, only to find out I was mistaken.

Perhaps there is a difference between sharing and teaching. Within this "classroom", we throw out theories and collaborate, discuss, and hopefully come a little closer to the truth. What is important to remember here is to have an open mind. Not ONE person here knows ALL, if ANYTHING. That's why we network. I think the Work cannot be done alone, there are too many obstacles, pitfalls, and evil magicians to keep us dumb, ignorant, and enslaved. But, I think the first step to begin an exchange is to present ideas for discussion, not teach, tell, or appear to force feed others.

Questions

Vivitskaia said:

Vivitskaia
You see, we may have a different perspectives on what an "exchange" is.

If you ask me what is, for instance, entropy or gravitation, I will answer you what I know and then admit: unfortunately I do not understand these concepts completely myself, I have problem here and there. I will not send you to textbooks or to "work on being". And I will make it clear that you are welcome to ask more - unless you are evidently a troll, what sometimes happen - trolls exist.

But that is not your idea about the exchange. Your answer seems to be "I know and you do not know. Your fault."

Some people call it exchange, indeed. What do you think?

Questions

For what it's worth, Christx11 explained pretty much my exact take on it as well.

Vivitskaia said:
Apologies, but I don't understand this sentence.

v said:
I wish to exchange with you. In order to do that I have to be what I am. If I come across as insincere, then that is what my starting point is right now.
So you are saying that you are insincere? Or are you saying that you 'are' what you 'are', so there is nothing to be done about that? Again, it's rather difficult to get your meaning. The question that comes to mind is whether you are writing to communicate with others, or just writing to please yourself, to reflect your self-image back to yourself.

v said:
Exchange what?

Are you deliberately being obtuse, or is there, perhaps, a language barrier? It certainly seems clear that making yourself understood and clear are not priorities, for whatever reason. I cannot know that reason, but it certainly seems counterproductive, if you are sincere about your purpose and presence here.

Questions

"Perhaps there is a difference between sharing and teaching. Within this "classroom", we throw out theories and collaborate, discuss, and hopefully come a little closer to the truth. What is important to remember here is to have an open mind. Not ONE person here knows ALL, if ANYTHING. That's why we network."

I agree.

I would like to make contact with other people who read Beelzebub's Tales. As I said initally, from questions it is possible to formulate understanding and to make a connection.

My burning question is how can I understand the Fifth Stopinder?

Questions

Vivitskaia said:
Apologies, but I don't understand this sentence.

I'm not familiar with this medium and its conventions yet.

v said:
So you are saying that you are insincere? Or are you saying that you 'are' what you 'are', so there is nothing to be done about that?

I have to start where I am. Work on myself starts with what I am right now. I don't think of myself as insincere, and at the same time I have many flaws: vanity, pride, self-love, flaws that you are much more able to see clearly than I myself can. Thank you for pointing them out - then I have more material for Work on myself. At the same time, external considering is important.

v said:
Exchange what?

Exchange understanding, as in an exchange between two people. English is not my first language, it's true.

What is your purpose and presence here?

Do you Work on being, as described by Gurdjieff and Ouspensky?

I sincerely would like to know.

Wishing you well,

Vivitskaia

Questions

I too was confused but I think Vivitskaia meant this:

christx11 said:
You seem to direct responses to specific individuals without reference
Vivitskaia said:
I think she's saying thanks for letting her know that she should make it obvious whom she is responding to (like by using quotes). But the way it was phrased was "different" for sure, and I think if she actually used the above quote from christx11 right before that sentence, it would've made more sense (which is ironic that she didn't, since this is probably why christx made that point in the first place).

Vivitskaia said:
I have to start where I am. Work on myself starts with what I am right now.
But at the same time do you know who you are right now? The process of Work involves progressively finding that out and refining it as you go along.

Vivitskaia said:
I don't think of myself as insincere
That's normal because most people don't either. And yet, most people are insincere. And this is part of the reason we have this network, so that with the help of others we gradually begin to see ourselves as we truly are, not as we like to "think" we are.

Vivitskaia said:
and at the same time I have many flaws: vanity, pride, self-love, flaws that you are much more able to see clearly than I myself can. Thank you for pointing them out - then I have more material for Work on myself.
Well if you review what christx said, do you see why he said that based on how you presented yourself? It's not enough to know that we have many flaws - anybody will admit that. In fact, people love saying "eh, nobody's perfect, and neither am I". But no progress is made because the devil is in the details. So if you examine the details, are you able to see what christx saw and understand why he saw it?

Vivitskaia said:
Do you Work on being, as described by Gurdjieff and Ouspensky?
I sincerely would like to know.
Who is this question directed to? If you're asking the forum as a whole, then the question is answered by the forum rules.

Questions

I hope to get better at using the quote function.

Vivitskaia said:
But at the same time do you know who you are right now? The process of Work involves progressively finding that out and refining it as you go along.
Agreed. I have some self-knowledge, and it is not complete.

Vivitskaia said:
That's normal because most people don't either. And yet, most people are insincere. And this is part of the reason we have this network, so that with the help of others we gradually begin to see ourselves as we truly are, not as we like to "think" we are.
Again, agreed. Maurice Nicoll said that we are invisible. How we see ourselves is invisible to other people.

Vivitskaia said:
Well if you review what christx said, do you see why he said that based on how you presented yourself?
Yes, I think so. At the same time, I can't pretend to understand less than I do. That would be counterproductive for me and for you. I have studied Beelzebub's Tales and orally transmitted Work practices since 1993. The more I try to Work on myself, the more I realise I am a beginner. Ever beginning afresh. And I hope to exchange (understanding) from where I am. I don't want to have to speak from false modesty. Work ideas free us from precisely these things, when we apply them to ourselves.

Vivitskaia said:
Do you Work on being, as described by Gurdjieff and Ouspensky? I sincerely would like to know. Who is this question directed to? If you're asking the forum as a whole, then the question is answered by the forum rules.
I don't think the forum rules answer it. The question about Kundabuffer can be answered from within, by Work on being. By being I mean my manifestations as a whole, my common presence, what I am over a lifespan, not just a moment in time. It is possible to connect with this totality and with eternity, as is symbolised in the cross.

I hope that the question would be answered by the reader to whom it speaks.

By Movements I mean Gurdjieff sacred dances. By sittings I mean inner exercises (connected with breathing, Work on emotions, instinctive functioning, sensation, I AM, third eye, Buddha, Lama, Mohammed, Christ, Moses, chakras and others) as handed down by Gurdjieff.

I don't know what you who are interested in Gurdjieff's ideas on this forum know already. I am sorry if I come across as a know-it-all. It is necessary to realise my nothingness and at the same time to not falsely undervalue what I have got. It is balancing, on the straight and narrow, and not falling down into the ditch on either side.

Wishing you well,

Vivitskaia

Questions

Vivitskaia said:
I hope to get better at using the quote function.
It's easy. You just use brackets -> [ and ] to enclose the word "quote" (without quotation marks) at the beginning of what you wish to quote and to close the quote, use the word "quote" with a "/" in front of it. You can put quotes inside quotes inside quotes this way if you make sure that every start of a quote has a close quote expression.

Vivitskaia said:
I have studied Beelzebub's Tales and orally transmitted Work practices since 1993. The more I try to Work on myself, the more I realise I am a beginner. Ever beginning afresh. And I hope to exchange (understanding) from where I am. I don't want to have to speak from false modesty. Work ideas free us from precisely these things, when we apply them to ourselves.
I'm not sure that beginning with Beelzebub's Tales is the place to begin. That is a text that can only be understood by those who have achieved a certain level of BEing in the context of the general Work of a group as described by Gurdjieff and as documented by Ouspensky. Beelzebub is written for those who already know something.

As for "orally transmitted work practices", we don't hold much stock in those because it is pretty clear that the students of Gurdjieff - most of whom claim to have some "orally transmitted work practices" - didn't get it. That is, in fact, why Gurdjieff wrote Beelzebub.

Vivitskaia said:
Do you Work on being, as described by Gurdjieff and Ouspensky? I sincerely would like to know. [...] I don't think the forum rules answer it.
The forum rules address that directly. I am having a difficult time understanding how you could read them and conclude that they do not answer the question.

Vivitskaia said:
The question about Kundabuffer can be answered from within, by Work on being. By being I mean my manifestations as a whole, my common presence, what I am over a lifespan, not just a moment in time. It is possible to connect with this totality and with eternity, as is symbolised in the cross.
It strikes me that you are attempting to do calculus when you have not yet learned to count from 1 to 10.

Vivitskaia said:
By Movements I mean Gurdjieff sacred dances. By sittings I mean inner exercises (connected with breathing, Work on emotions, instinctive functioning, sensation, I AM, third eye, Buddha, Lama, Mohammed, Christ, Moses, chakras and others) as handed down by Gurdjieff.
See comment above. There are a lot of useless things claimed to be handed down by Gurdjieff as a "general way to do things" that were originally devised at a specific time, in a specific place, for a specific purpose and sometimes even for a specific individual, that have no usefulness in a general way. It strikes me that you (and others, perhaps those who taught you) have done exactly what Gurdjieff predicted:

Gurdjieff in ISOTM said:
"The work itself of schools of the fourth way can have very many forms and many meanings. In the midst of the ordinary conditions of life the only chance a man has of finding a 'way' is in the possibility of meeting with the beginning of work of this kind. But the chance of meeting with such work as well as the possibility of profiting by this chance depends upon many circumstances and conditions.

"The quicker a man grasps the aim of the work which is being executed, the quicker can he become useful to it and the more will he be able to get from it for himself.

"But no matter what the fundamental aim of the work is, the schools continue to exist only while this work is going on. When the work is done the schools close. The people who began the work leave the stage.

Those who have learned from them what was possible to learn and have reached the possibility of continuing on the way independently begin in one form or another their own personal work.

"But it happens sometimes that when the school closes a number of people are left who were round about the work, who saw the outward aspect of it, and saw the whole of the work in this outward aspect.

"Having no doubts whatever of themselves or in the correctness of their conclusions and understanding they decide to continue the work. To continue this work they form new schools, teach people what they have themselves learned, and give them the same promises that they themselves received. All this naturally can only be outward imitation.
You have to understand, Gurdjieff's work had a definite purpose that failed. His school closed, he died, and all that was left were people who did not understand. This point is made clear by Gurdjieff himself in his introduction to his "All and Everything" series of writings which includes Beelzebub.

The Cassiopaean Experiment is a Fourth Way Work that began in 1994 and is ongoing at present. It picks up Gurdjieff's work where he left it after realizing that it was not yet time, and that his major contribution was to provide a map so that the next school that emerged after him could travel farther and avoid many errors by learning from his mistakes.

Vivitskaia said:
I don't know what you who are interested in Gurdjieff's ideas on this forum know already. I am sorry if I come across as a know-it-all. It is necessary to realise my nothingness and at the same time to not falsely undervalue what I have got. It is balancing, on the straight and narrow, and not falling down into the ditch on either side.
You can easily learn what we "know already" by reading posts in the forum itself, by reading the material on the Cassiopaean website, by observing the other activities we engage in to further the aims of the "school" etc.

This forum - The Work - is full of threads about different aspects of the Work that are primary for anyone who may, eventually, seek to read and comprehend Beelzebub.

Because this group has experienced many of the same dynamics of experience that Gurdjieff experienced, most particularly in terms of working with people (which most definitely necessitates working on the self!), it is easier for us to "see" what Gurdjieff meant when he said this or that. There are many things in ISOTM that made no real impact on me until after I had spent some years working with people directly. So, it is only in following the model that Gurdjieff established, that one begins to get a "taste" of what was inside Gurdjieff himself.

This, of course, is based on the principles of external considering as described by Gurdjieff:

Gurdjieff in ISOTM said:
External considering is based upon an entirely different relationship towards people than internal considering. It is adaptation towards people, to their understanding, to their requirements. By considering externally a man does that which makes life easy for other people and for himself. External considering requires a knowledge of men, an understanding of their tastes, habits, and prejudices. At the same time external considering requires a great power over oneself, a great control over oneself. [...]

But if a man really remembers himself he understands that another man is a machine just as he is himself. And then he will enter into his position, he will put himself in his place, and he will be really able to understand and feel what another man thinks and feels. If he can do this his work becomes easier for him. But if he approaches a man with his own requirements nothing except new internal considering can ever be obtained from it.

Right external considering is very important in the work. It often happens that people who understand very well the necessity of external considering in life do not understand the necessity of external considering in the work; they decide that just because they are in the work they have the right not to consider. Whereas in reality, in the work, that is, for a man's own successful work, ten times more external considering is necessary than in life, because only external considering on his part shows his valuation of the work and his understanding of the work; and success in the work is always proportional to the valuation and understanding of it. Remember that work cannot begin and cannot proceed on a level lower than that of the obyvatel, that is, on a level lower than ordinary life. This is a very important principle which, for some reason or other, is very easily forgotten.

So many people forget themselves when studying the work of Gurdjieff - they do not "externally consider" him, they do not enter into Gurdjieff's position in an attempt to understand what he thought and felt. Instead, they all - including the so-called "teachers" in Gurdjieff type work - approach the entire thing with their own requirements.

I hope that this explains a few things.

Questions

Vivitskaia said:
I don't know what you who are interested in Gurdjieff's ideas on this forum know already

Vivitskaia
I can't speak for other people, but as for me I know next next to nothing. Just want to learn. And how does this process of learning proceed?
You may like to read the following chapter from The Wave:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/wave12e.htm

where a general idea and the relation to Gurdjieff work is being mentioned.

Questions

“If you have not by nature a critical mind your staying here is useless.”

“Believe nothing; verify everything.”

“I find it necessary to repeat that the ‘active mentation’ in a being and the useful results of such active mentation are in reality actualised exclusively only with the equal-degree functionings of all his three localisations of the results spiritualised in his presence, called ‘thinking-centre’, ‘feeling-centre’, and ‘moving-motor-centre’.”

G.I. Gurdjieff

Gurdjieff sacred dance, or Movements, are a form of sacred gymnastics that are able to awaken instinctive, moving, emotional and intellectual function simultaneously. This provides a taste of active mentation. When fully realised, Movements are a path in themselves to higher consciousness. The postures and gestures taken are powerful and unfamiliar from daily life, yet recognisable at a higher level inside me.

Some Movements are prayers, or active meditations. Some are based on the Law of Seven and involve complex multiplications in space based on the Enneagram and fractions of seven. Some Movements equip me for dealing with life, showing how to be a good mother, a protective husband or a supportive partner.

Participating in Movements has been for me, at times, an experience akin to embodying a higher being, where each individual (wo)man partaking in the Movement is cleansed of associative thought, negative emotion and habitual movements/posture/gesture so that (s)he can become a vessel for a higher force. Each individual plays a crucial part in the machinery of the higher being, or in the maintenance of the universe. Those partaking are connected in a shared higher consciousness only able to be given material form through our obedient bodies, hearts and minds. Movements can involve inner exercises, such as reciting words or performing calculations. Each limb (plus the head, plus turning etc) performs complex movements independently of each other.

This is not about getting good at it. It is the dynamic and state that it creates within me that is significant. I am simply unable to have associate thoughts, or any lower emotions, because my attention is directed towards inner work and the outer taking of positions. It is purifying. It brings me to a state where I have the potential to connect with higher centres.

Gurdjieff wanted to remembered as a teacher of dance.

Some of the Work practices passed to me, and others, date as far back as ancient Egypt, and perhaps further back. Movements were practiced in ancient Egypt (Mu dancers). These are not practices generated for a specific time or a specific purpose. They are conscious in origin and have been created to assist the self-perfecting of those who find the Way. With only head-brain knowledge I cannot go very far.

Regarding reading Beelzebub’s Tales, in my understanding, the book speaks from higher centres to higher centres. Higher centres already exist, regardless of my current level of being. My ability to connect with them at Will requires Work in order to emerge. If I read Beelzebub’s Tales in the manner prescribed at the beginning of the book, it will change my being. Meanwhile, the communication from higher centres is already reaching my higher centres, whether I, in my ordinary state, realise it or not. The book works with and on my subconscious mind, which should really be my conscious mind.

You are right, the outer form of the transmission of esoteric teaching must change, as everything either develops or degenerates, including a school. Hence we have alchemists, monasticism, Sufis, Tibetan Buddhists, Amun as a ram and Amun as a bull, Freemasons, Hermetics, the cult of Mithras, mystery schools, the Essenes, Kabbalists and the remains of the many other forms Truth has taken in order to transcend the inevitable deflections of the Law of Seven (and to harmonise with the precession of the equinoxes). The school where I first met the teaching no longer exists. "This too will pass." Get what you can while you can.

It is particularly clear to us with Christianity, the outer form is mechanically crystallised, dead as a vessel, an ark, for transmitting Truth. Perhaps there are Gurdjieff groups who do little more than preserve the outer form of the teaching. I do not know, as I haven’t made contact with everyone who considers themselves to be in the Work.

“Don't judge a man by the tales of others.” G.I. Gurdjieff

What I do know is that others who have gone this Way before me have made it possible for the Work to take hold and live also in me, to become a permanent part of my being. The Work, living water, needs us in order to live, in order to become manifest in this realm of time/space. It is possible for the Work to live in me.

I wish to make contact with others who also have this aim.

Finally, perhaps I am nitpicking, but I think it is misleading to say “Gurdjieff in ISOTM wrote” about ‘In Search of the Miraculous’. As I'm sure you know, P.D. Ouspensky wrote all of its contents, from his memory of what Gurdjieff said. And Gurdjieff said about Ouspensky “you have very good memory”.

At the centre there can be no disagreement.

Wishing you well,

Vivitskaia

Questions

Vivitskaia said:

“Believe nothing; verify everything.”

Vivitskaia
Good. So how are you going to verify for instance this:

"In the course of this search, He discovered that the cause of the diminution of the Sun is the Heropass, that is to say, Time, which gradually diminishes the substance of every force.

"As this question was very serious, He became thoughtful, and in these Divine reflections of His, He saw clearly, that, if this Heropass should continue to reduce the volume of the Sun-Absolute in this way, then sooner or later, it would eventually be to its complete destruction. Our Endlessness was then compelled to undertake several appropriate measures, so that this destruction of the Sun-Absolute from the Heropass should be averted.

"After great labours, He completely averted the whole of the threatened danger; and He accomplished this, in the following way:

"You must know that up till then the Sun-Absolute had in itself, for its existence, only the force of the 'Autoegokrat'; that is, an independent force depending on nothing external itself. This same force, in its turn, was formed only of two Laws, namely, the Law of 'Triamonia' and the Law of 'Eftologodiksis'. To these two Laws, Our Creator added the third force, called 'Fagolgiria', by means of which the 'Autoegokrat' became the 'Trogoautoegokrat', that is, a force depending on other forces exterior to itself.
Or do you believe it? Or do you verify it by dances? Or by just meditating?

How do you verify that dances give you a better insight into, say the ability of knowing the truth, than other methods, not involving dances, like traveling to distant places and studying what other people may have already learned?

Back
Top Bottom