Quotes

A friend of mine had a section of this quote in her profile, so I looked up the whole section and wow!

From the movie Slacker (1991):
"Old Man: When young, we mourn for one woman... as we grow old, for women in general. The tragedy of life is that man is never free yet strives for what he can never be. The thing most feared in secret always happens. My life, my loves, where are they now? But the more the pain grows, the more this instinct for life somehow asserts itself. The necessary beauty in life is in giving yourself to it completely. Only later will it clarify itself and become coherent. "

David Henry Thoreau - If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

I found this quote in a western book of mine. It's been in the back of my mind for some years now.

Here's one:

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people just putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."

- Mark Twain

Helen Keller is an inspiration. She lost her sight and hearing at 19 months of age, but would later go on to become the first blinddeaf to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree studying Greek, French and German.

Even though she was "blind" she demonstrates a remarkable ability to see, to understand the world,
in this following quote especially:

"The few own the many because they possess the means of livelihood of all ... The country is governed for the richest, for the corporations, the bankers, the land speculators, and for the exploiters of labor. The majority of mankind are working people. So long as their fair demands - the ownership and control of their livelihoods - are set at naught, we can have neither men's rights nor women's rights. The majority of mankind is ground down by industrial oppression in order that the small remnant may live in ease."
— Helen Keller, 1911

---------------------------------------------

Friend do it this way - that is,
whatever you do in life,
do the very best you can
with both your heart and mind.

And if you do it that way,
the Power Of The Universe
will come to your assistance,
if your heart and mind are in Unity.

When one sits in the Hoop Of The People,
one must be responsible because
All of Creation is related.
And the hurt of one is the hurt of all.
And the honor of one is the honor of all.
And whatever we do effects everything in the universe.

If you do it that way - that is,
if you truly join your heart and mind
as One - whatever you ask for,
that's the Way It's Going To Be.

-White Buffalo Calf Woman
Lakota Instructions for Living

-----------------------------------------

If you hear a voice within you say “you cannot paint,” then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

Vincent Van Gogh

Fall seven times, stand up eight!

Japanese Proverbs

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.

William Ellery Channing

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist.

Jack London

God, grant me the serenity to accept things that I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can; And the wisdom to know the difference.

Dr. Reinhold Niebuhr

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Albert Einstein

A year from now you may wish you had started today.

Karen Lamb

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Robert F. Kennedy

Myrddin Awyr said:
Cicero:

“Do I believe in conspiracies? Naah! Do I believe that powerful people would get together and plan for certain outcomes? Naah! Do I believe that powerful interests would operate outside the law and maybe even kill people? Naah! Do I believe secret government agencies might feel the need to assassinate a person and cover it up? Naah! I think everything in America is open and clean and above board and powerful people always play by the rules.” - George Carlin

"We are in a race between education and catastrophe." -Janet Jackson

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open." -Unknown

The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. - Patrick Henry

Back
Top Bottom