Quotes

People are caught up in many vain illusions and empty fictions, which torment them like sleepers prey to nightmares. When they wake up, they see that all those dreams were nothing. This is the way it is with those who have cast ignorance aside, as if waking from sleep. They no longer see the world as real, but like a dream at night. They value gnosis as if it were the dawn. Whilst they exist in a state of ignorance, it is as if everyone is asleep. Experiencing gnosis is like waking up.

- The Gospel of Truth (The Nag Hammadi Codex), quoted in T. Freke & P. Gandy's The Laughing Jesus.

_http://books.scoop.co.nz/2009/11/22/mansfields-russian-influence/

Shortly before her death in 1923 Katherine Mansfield told Alfred Orage that she now believed the role of a writer is to communicate an attitude to the reader: “An artist communicates not his vision of the world, but the attitude which results in his [sic] vision; not his dream, but his dream-state; and as his attitude is passive, negative, or indifferent, so he reinforces in his readers the corresponding state of mind.”

She called her previous attitude “a little mischievous”, calling her ‘slices of life’ “partial” and even “misleading”. According to Orage she said “my attitude … stood in need of a change if it was to become active instead of passive.” She had been a “selective camera without a creative principle”. Her aim was to widen the scope of her camera and to employ it – actively – for a conscious purpose, “that of representing life not only as it appears to a certain attitude, but as it appears to another, a different attitude, a creative attitude.”

Orage, using a Christian symbolism present in her work (as in the poem, To God the Father ) and quite inescapable in 19th century Russian literature, suggests such a change of attitude is a bit like coming down from a cross, “a cross of amused suffering”. K.M. agrees with him, but she is perhaps afraid of censure from Orage, since she asks “Do you think it is very presumptuous of me”.

"We all need friends with whom we can speak of our deepest concerns, and who do not fear to speak the truth in love to us."
- Margaret Guenther

We must learn that any person, who will not accept what he knows to be true, for the very love of truth alone, is very definitely undermining his mental integrity.

- Luthor Burbank

"Worry gives a small thing a big shadow."
- Swedish Proverb

"Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere."
- Glenn Turner

"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday."
- Author Unknown

"Worry is the darkroom in which negatives are developed."
- Author Unknown

Read this brief dialogue on a chalkboard in a bathroom. Thought Ark might appreciate.

"Ridicule is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius"

"Oh thanks faux philosopher" (Was the reply)

"QED" (apparently came back for the last word)

deleven said:
Read this brief dialogue on a chalkboard in a bathroom. Thought Ark might appreciate.

"Ridicule is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius"

"Oh thanks faux philosopher" (Was the reply)

"QED" (apparently came back for the last word)

Good one! :lol:

I love collecting quotes!

"Do nothing because it is righteous or praiseworthy or noble to do so; do nothing because it seems good to do so; do only that which you must do and which you cannot do in any other way." - Ursula Le Guin (from The Farthest Shore)

"People who deny the existence of dragons are often eaten by dragons. From within." - Ursula Le Guin

One of my favorites:

"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust (from Athyra, I think)

Remember, the gap between where you are and where you want to be is filled by what you choose to do in the time available to you…every conversation, thought, choice and decision, so choose all wisely.
~Donna Karlin

A miracle is not a breaking of laws, nor is it a phenomenon outside laws. It is a phenomenon which takes place according to the laws of another cosmos. These laws are incomprehensible and unknown to us, and are therefore miraculous.
~G.I Gurdjieff

Real understanding in spiritual matters is the result of much bitter fighting, of suffering, spiritual agony and soul passion... Woe to him who wants to put himself on a level with the Creator and escape fighting!
~T Illion

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost."
~ J.R.R. Tolkien

"The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or as a curse."
~Don Juan

"Aristippus passed Diogenes as he was washing lentils.
He said, “If you could but learn to flatter the king, you would not have to live on lentils.”
Diogenes said, “And if you could learn to live on lentils, you would not have to flatter the king"
~(don't know)

Created half to rise, and half to fall
Great lord of all things, yet a prey to all
Sole judge of truth, in endless error hurl'd
The glory, jest, and riddle of the world!
--Alexander Pope

An aphorism is never exactly true; it is either a half-truth or one-and-a-half truths.
~Karl Kraus

A fanatic is a man who does what he thinks the Lord would do if He knew the facts of the matter.
~unknown

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
~Nomad, Cassiopaea forum moderator (may have earlier author?)

Curiosity was framed. Ignorance killed the cat.
~Torben, electro-tech-online.com

Conscious love rarely obtains between humans; but it can be
illustrated in the relations of man to his favourites in the animal and
vegetable kingdoms. The development of the horse and the dog from their
original state of nature; the cultivation of flowers and fruit—these are
examples of a primitive form of conscious love, primitive because the
motive is still egoistic and utilitarian. In short, Man has a personal use for
the domesticated horse and the cultivated fruit; and his labour upon them
cannot be said to be for love alone. The conscious love motive, in its
developed state, is the wish that the object should arrive at its own native
perfection, regardless of the consequences to the lover.
~Orage

We are all adults and we all know that the price we have to pay for having a ‘free press’ is that sometimes every single media outlet in the country – in print, on television and on the radio – mistakenly spend several days loudly and repeatedly broadcasting the same made-up stories.
~Dave McGowan

Quote of the day as seen on SoTT today:

Just look at us. Everything is backwards. Everything is upside-down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the major media destroy information, and religion destroys spirituality.

- Michael Ellner

Yep, it is so that.

This is something I read out of a high school book when I was substitute teaching years ago. It inspired me so much that I copied it from the book and retyped it. I'm not sure where to post it on here, but I would like to share it with the forum, so I'm considering it a long quote..:D

Children Learn What They Live

By: Dorothy Law Nolte

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.

If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.

If children live with ridicule, they learn to be shy.

If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.

If children live with tolerance, they learn to be patient.

If children live with encouragement, they learn to be confident.

If children live with praise, they learn to appreciate.

If children live with firmness, they learn justice.

If children live with security, they learn to like themselves.

If children live with acceptance and friendship, they learn to find love in the world.

"Love is the most healing and therapeutic gift I can give myself. I don't have to reach outside myself to find love. It already exists within me. My parents my friends my lovers may not have given me the love I need but love has never left me. It is when I don't nurture myself that I frantically search for someone to love me. This desperation leaves me as I go inside myself, when I open the door of my heart and embrace myself in unconditional love." -Unknown

Back
Top Bottom