Quotes

Excellent, voyageur. If that were on a t-shirt, I would definitely buy it and wear it a lot. Maybe a good suggestion for Revolt.

Noticed this quote that Dr. Mercola cited on his website related to medicine and our present state of affairs. What caught my attention was the incredible accuracy of this statement considering when it was written. Not having a life study under the 'Declaration of Independence', here is what one signing author said:

Unless we put medical freedom into the Constitution the time will come when medicine will organize itself into an undercover dictatorship. To restrict the art of healing to doctors and deny equal privileges to others will constitute the Bastille of medical science. All such laws are un-American moral and despotic.

1776, Dr. Benjamin Rush

voyageur said:
Noticed this quote that Dr. Mercola cited on his website related to medicine and our present state of affairs. What caught my attention was the incredible accuracy of this statement considering when it was written. Not having a life study under the 'Declaration of Independence', here is what one signing author said:

Unless we put medical freedom into the Constitution the time will come when medicine will organize itself into an undercover dictatorship. To restrict the art of healing to doctors and deny equal privileges to others will constitute the Bastille of medical science. All such laws are un-American moral and despotic.

1776, Dr. Benjamin Rush

Yeah, that is very prescient. But, on the other hand, many things in the constitution are totally moot by now.

[quote author=SeekinTruth link]
Yeah, that is very prescient. But, on the other hand, many things in the constitution are totally moot by now.
[/quote]

Yes, totally, yet Rush in 1776 obviously must have been overruled and if not, indeed it would likely be moot, yet it would have had precedence, aside from the general regard for moral health responsibility, which is out the window now.

voyageur said:
[quote author=SeekinTruth link]

Yes, totally, yet Rush in 1776 obviously must have been overruled and if not, indeed it would likely be moot, yet it would have had precedence, aside from the general regard for moral health responsibility, which is out the window now.
[/quote]

Yes, that was never established as a general value. It would be interesting to know what were the arguments against including such provisions in the Constitution.

"All perception is inferential; all inference uncertain; all theory, a combination of perception and inference, is therefore educated guessing."

-- de Selby, Golden Hours, I, 93

I submit my current forum sig, since I may change it and forget about this nice repository we have here. :lol:

"And if ye cannot be saints of knowledge, then, I pray you, be at least its warriors." -Nietzsche

I like it because it allows me to admit that I may not know everything, or most of anything, or anything at all. But n spite of how little I know, I can still be a "warrior of knowledge,": one who cares about truth, and who fights for truth.

Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds are added to those of subduing the force of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes and the opportunities of fraud growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals engendered by both. No nation could reserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

Those truths are well established. They are read in every page which records the progression from a less arbitrary to a more arbitrary government, or the transition from a popular government to an aristocracy or a monarchy."

- James Madison, "Political Observations," April 20, 1795
Preface to Drift by Rachel Maddow

SONG IN SPACE

When man first flew beyond the sky
He looked back into the world's blue eye.
Man said: What makes your eye so blue?
Earth said: The tears in the ocean do.
Why are the seas so full of tears?
Because I've wept so many thousand years.
Why do you weep as you dance through space?
Because I am the mother of the human race.

Adrian Mitchell

See below Fulcanelli in signature - one of many excellent quotes.

Laura Knight-Jadczyk said:
When you learn the steps, the Universe takes you dancing. Sometimes it's a crazy jitterbug, other times, it's a waltz; but it's never boring.

Edit: quoted addition in main text.

voyageur said:

Voyageur, it might be a good idea to add the quote you refer to in your post, so that if in the future you change your signature, it would still make sense to those who will read it.

Alana said:
voyageur said:

Voyageur, it might be a good idea to add the quote you refer to in your post, so that if in the future you change your signature, it would still make sense to those who will read it.

Yes of course - thank you for pointing that out (edited linked post above).

What is true love and how do you know when you have found it?

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” —I Corinthians 13:4-8a

True love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTE8uQ--hUI

c.a. said:
What is true love and how do you know when you have found it?

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” —I Corinthians 13:4-8a

True love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTE8uQ--hUI

Does it depend on the kind of love one seeks or demonstrates? i.e. is there STS love and STO love existing simultaneously? Perhaps this is a lame question, but the Corinthians quote seems to be a mixture in that (by my admittedly limited understanding of the matter) STO love might not always be viewed as kind but would always not be self-serving or hopeful. The following quotes express opposing definitions that seem to relate:

Love means never having to say you're sorry.”
― Erich Segal, Love Story

Love means having to say you're sorry every fifteen minutes."
Attributed to John Lennon
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006168/bio

Back
Top Bottom