Quotes

“You say why save an empty Earth? I can smell it on you, hear it in your voice. The way you can’t remember because how could you live. But it’s only empty to your eyes. It’s only empty because you helped make it so, and thought nothing of it.
There is no end to us. Only to you. You’ll never understand that. You’ll never understand that without us, you don’t exist. You wink out of existence. You become something else. Forever. And when I’m gone, what will remain? Everything.
Everything will remain.”
― Jeff VanderMeer, Dead Astronauts

I just read a comment on the net saying about the PTB:

"With them, this is the true which is wrong."​

I found it was at purpose. :-)

Hi @Jones

I think it is heartfelt that you are welcoming new members but I believe the qoute section on the forum is for qoutes.

I find it interesting to read qoutes from others. I also always try to leave them up for a few days before posting a new one. But when you greet new members every day like this I miss them.

I think it's also important to note that while others do like being greeted like that as soon as they create an account, others may feel pressured to give an introduction when they themselves don't want to yet.

I believe it is common to point people to give an introduction as soon as they leave a message. Should they not have given an introduction yet.

I think we also already have a good system in place to help new members get started.

I hope I am reasonable in this. :)

Hi @Jones

I think it is heartfelt that you are welcoming new members but I believe the qoute section on the forum is for qoutes.

I find it interesting to read qoutes from others. I also always try to leave them up for a few days before posting a new one. But when you greet new members every day like this I miss them.

I think it's also important to note that while others do like being greeted like that as soon as they create an account, others may feel pressured to give an introduction when they themselves don't want to yet.

I believe it is common to point people to give an introduction as soon as they leave a message. Should they not have given an introduction yet.

I think we also already have a good system in place to help new members get started.

Oh wait, technically it's the ''latest profile posts'' section. Anyhow, maybe it's a good idea if the Mods can make it clear what this section on the forum is really for. In case I'm wrong

Hi @Jones

You have a good point there and when I checked latest profile posts I see what your saying about the quotes in profile posts being buried by welcome messages. Ordinarily, there probably wouldn't be so many welcome messages on one page if this trial continues as today I welcomed all the latest new members from the last 10 days or so at once rather than doing each as they join. So I don't think there would often be a wall of welcome messages there, though it's definitely something to take into consideration while we figure out if it will be helpful or create other issues. Done the previous way, not everyone who was invited to write an introduction post wrote one anyway, in fact the impression I get is most don't. That's not easy to check though because the messages are mixed amongst many threads. Additionally, you needn't miss out on the quotes you like read because at the bottom of the profile posts page there is the option of clicking the previous page if there are times when there are lots of people joining in a short space of time.

Oh wait, technically it's the ''latest profile posts'' section. Anyhow, maybe it's a good idea if the Mods can make it clear what this section on the forum is really for. In case I'm wrong

Ooops!

I don't think there was any direction as to what the profile posts section was about, though many seem to like it to post quotes there. I don't think we had a profile post section with the old forum software but it occurred today that perhaps we could utilise it to invite new members to write an introduction as they join rather than wait until after they make their first post. Kind of like greeting Newbies at the door. So I'd say continue posting quotes there for those that like to do so and hopefully the invites won't often clutter that up too much.

Additionally, you needn't miss out on the quotes you like read because at the bottom of the profile posts page there is the option of clicking the previous page if there are times when there are lots of people joining in a short space of time.

I didn't know that, but good to know! Still, I personally like it better when it's just a qoute section and not to welcome people as well.

Like said, I think we also already have a good system in place to help new members get started.

I don't think we had a profile post section with the old forum software but it occurred today that perhaps we could utilise it to invite new members to write an introduction as they join rather than wait until after they make their first post

When you register as a new member don't you get a welcome message in your mail? I am not sure. in any case, I think it's up to the Mods to make a decision on this. :)

When you register as a new member don't you get a welcome message in your mail? I am not sure. in any case, I think it's up to the Mods to make a decision on this. :)

I did raise the idea amongst the mods first before trying it out. Ya know, it's been such a long time since I was a new member that I don't recall if there was a welcome message sent when I joined. If there was I guess that would have been raised if others remembered it or if it was part of the joining process.

I did raise the idea amongst the mods first before trying it out. Ya know, it's been such a long time since I was a new member that I don't recall if there was a welcome message sent when I joined. If there was I guess that would have been raised if others remembered it or if it was part of the joining process.
Yes, this was discussed with the mods and admins and Jones was given the go-ahead to give it a try. There's no way to know what will work and what won't if we don't try it out.

Thank you for your feedback, bjorn. It's something to consider.

Ok, I hope it helps new members feel more welcome and interact with the forum.

b17fe82e0a55bb109f0f48f09178625e.jpg

Perhaps, if we stop to actually listen, we may be able to hear the "path that has a heart". It may just be the path of Doing that some fear so much, including me. After all, how could we know the world if we do not interact with it? Letting our heart (conscience) take the first step may be the answer, should we be able to listen to it...

Back
Top Bottom