Quotes

“If while washing dishes, we think only of the cup of tea that awaits us, thus hurrying to get the dishes out of the way as if they were a nuisance, then we are not “washing the dishes to wash the dishes.” What’s more, we are not alive during the time we are washing the dishes. In fact we are completely incapable of realizing the miracle of life while standing at the sink. If we can’t wash the dishes, the chances are we won’t be able to drink our tea either.”
― Thich Nhat Hanh

It is not difficult to keep health and longevity,
It is difficult to understand how;
It is not difficult to understand how,
It is difficult to practice it;
It is not difficult to practice it,
It is difficult to keep practicing to the end of your life.

Ge Hong, Jin Dynasty, 284-364 AD.

Recently I came across an interesting quotation by Osho, it’s about Gurdjieff. I was actually surprised that Osho knew about him and respected him much 🙏

“A real Master will not live up to your expectations. On the contrary, it constantly destroys your expectations. He makes it so that you cannot predict it, cannot describe it, cannot explain it, Could not understand the meaning of many things in his life.

George Gurdjieff, who died only in 1950, was perhaps the rarest man of this century. The famous scientist Ouspensky recalls traveling with Gurdjieff on a train from New York to San Francisco, where Gurdjieff began to cause trouble in the middle of the night. Although he was not drunk, he behaved like a drunk - running from compartment to compartment, waking people up, scattering their things. Ouspensky asked him: "What are you doing?" - but Gurdjieff did not answer.

Someone tore off the stopcock. "This man is either crazy or drunk!" - the controller and the guard entered the car. Ouspensky began to apologize, he said: “He is not crazy and not drunk. But it’s hard for me to explain to you why he does it, because I don’t understand it myself.” And right at that moment, in front of the eyes of the controller and the guard, Gurdjieff threw someone's suitcase out the window.

The guard and controller said, “This is too much. Lock him in the compartment from the inside, we will give you the key, otherwise we will have to put you off the train at the next station.

In fact, Ouspensky felt ashamed and furious at the same time that his fellow traveler had created so much trouble for everyone. He thought: “I know that he is not crazy and not drunk, but ...” Gurdjieff behaved wildly, he shouted insults, in Russian and in English, he knew many languages - but as soon as Ouspensky locked the door from the inside, he quietly sat down and smiled. He said to Ouspensky, "How are you?"
Ouspensky said: “You ask how I am doing?! You could have put both of us behind bars, and you and me - because I could not leave you in such a situation. What was the point of all this?"
Gurdjieff said, “It was all done for the sake of your understanding. I do everything just for you, and you ask me what's the point? The point is that you learn not to react, not to feel embarrassed, not to feel angry. What's the point in being embarrassed? What will you achieve with this? You just lose your peace of mind without gaining anything in return. You must learn not to feel embarrassed, whatever the situation. If you want to be with me, you must learn one thing - not to be embarrassed. This is a lesson for you."

“But,” said Ouspensky, “you threw your suitcase out of the window. And now what should the person whose suitcase you threw away do?”
"Don't worry," replied Gurdjieff, "it was your suitcase"
Ouspensky looked down and saw that his suitcase was gone. What to do with such a Master! Ouspensky wrote: “I had one desire: to get off at the next station and return back to Europe ... because it is not clear what else to expect from Gurdjieff”
And Gurdjieff said, “I know what you're thinking - you're thinking of getting off at the next station. No need, chill"
"But," said Ouspensky, "how can I cool off when you've thrown away my suitcase and all my belongings?"
Gurdjieff said, “Don't worry, I threw out the empty suitcase. I moved all your things into mine."

Later, when Gurdjieff was in the Caucasus and Ouspensky was in London, Gurdjieff sent him a telegram: "Come immediately!" and when Gurdjieff says "Immediately" it means immediately! Ouspensky was engaged in certain work, and he was forced to quit work, immediately pack up, finish all business and go to the Caucasus. In those days there was a revolution in Russia, a trip to the Caucasus was dangerous, very dangerous. People fled from Russia in order to save their lives, to enter Russia for such a famous scientist as Uspensky ... besides, he was known as an anti-communist and opponent of the revolution. And now Gurdjieff called him back to Russia, and not just anywhere, but to the distant Caucasus.

To get to the Caucasus, Ouspensky would have to travel all over Russia to the small village of Tiflis, but if Gurdjieff calls... Ouspensky packed up and went. When he got there, he was seething as he passed burning trains, stations, injured people, and corpses on the platforms. And how he managed to get there, he himself could not believe it ... But he got there. And what did Gurdjieff do? He said, “You have arrived. Great, the goal is reached, now you can leave. See you in London"

Gurdjieff was such a man! He had his own goal - there is no doubt about it - but very strange methods of work. Ouspensky, even Ouspensky, did not understand them. He became so angry that he broke off all communication with Gurdjieff after this incident, because this man threw him to the very brink of death for no reason! But Ouspensky missed everything. If he had gone back as silently as he had come, by the time he reached London he might have been enlightened - but he missed everything.

People like Gurdjieff - they don't always do what might seem reasonable, but it always makes sense.”

Suffering is the condition of genius.
Do you think that Shakespeare and Goethe would have created, or Plato would have philosophized, and Kant would have criticized the mind, if they found satisfaction and contentment in the real world around them and if they felt good in it, and their desires were fulfilled? Only after we have a certain degree of discord with the real world and dissatisfaction with it, we turn to the world of thought for satisfaction.

— Arthur Schopenhauer

— Do you really think that man has risen as a result of evolution above animals?
"Of course,— I said. — Isn't it?
"No," he said. — He sank much lower. Today, only a retired millionaire can afford the lifestyle of an animal: to live in nature in the most suitable climatic conditions for the body, move a lot, eat environmentally friendly food, and at the same time never worry about anything at all. Think about it: after all, none of the animals work.
— And the squirrels? Hera asked. — They're picking nuts.
— Honey, it's not a job. Now, if squirrels were selling sour bear shit to each other from morning to night, it would be a job. And picking nuts is free shopping.
Victor Pelevin (c)

From this SOTT article:

"When we see the few truth-tellers who are the stars of their organizations jettisoned - Tucker Carlson from Fox News, Matt Taibbi from Rolling Stone, Glenn Greenwald from The Intercept, James O'Keefe from Project Veritas... we must face the fact that there is an organized conspiracy to suppress truth."
— Paul Craig Roberts

These are my favorite quotes of all time, collected over many years.

Be humble, a lot was accomplished before you were born.

All opportunities are disguised as problems.

Virtue is insufficient temptation.

Never murder a man when he is busy committing suicide.

There is no failure; only feedback.

You can delegate authority, but not responsibility.

Never find your delight in anothers misfortune.

Whatever women do, they must do twice as well as a man to be thought half as good. Luckily this is not difficult.

Nothing is impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it themselves.

Only a mediocre person is always at his best.

People who are sensible about love are incapable of it.

The art of being wise, is knowing what to overlook.

All of us have the sufficient fortitude to bear the misfortunes of others.

All cruelty springs from weakness.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

To err is human, but when the eraser wears out ahead of the pencil, you're overdoing it.

Failures are usually the most conceited of men.

If a man is right he cant be too radical, if he is wrong he cant be too conservative.

The hardest thing in life is learning which bridge to cross and which to burn.

The pleasures of the heart are transitory, the pleasures of the intellect are permanent.

Genius does what it must, talent does what it can.

The worst form of inequality is to try and make unequal things equal.

Todays rebel is tomorrows tyrant.

Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship.

All great ideas are controversial, or have been at one time.

Dignity does not consist of possessing honors, but in deserving them.

There is nothing so pathetic as a forgetful liar.

He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has need to be forgiven.

Adversity reveals genius, prosperity conceals it.

Friendships, like marriages, are dependent on avoiding the unforgivable.

To get profit without risk, experience without danger, reward without work, is as impossible as it is to live without being born.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men, but no machine can do the work of 1 extraordinary man.

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Wit is the salt of conversation, not the food.

When gambling, look around the table. If you don't see a sucker get up, because your the sucker.

You can have anything you want, you just cant have everything you want.

To teach is to learn.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

The good Lord never gives you more than you can handle, unless you die of something.

No one is useless in this world that lightens the burden of another.

The truth is more important than the facts.

Leadership is action, not position.

Advice is seldom welcome, those that need it most like it least.

Happiness is beneficial to the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

The history of the world is the record of a man in quest of his bread and butter.

Moderation in temper is always a virtue; But moderation in principle is always a vice.

A ship to run a straight course, can have but 1 captain and 1 steering wheel.

Man stays wise as long as he searches for wisdom; as soon as he thinks he has found it, he becomes a fool.

Be careful, and you will save many men from the sin of robbing you.

Evil flourishes when good men do nothing.

"The Minstrel Song" - lyrics supposedly come from the game Starflight (Starflight™ 1+2).
Through the windless night we sail To watch the timeless dance unfold.
Out of joy we share the tale To any who would have it told.

Time, it seems, doesn't flow... For some it's fast, for others slow.
In what to one race is no time at all Another race may rise and fall.

The virus spread like burning fire... The sea of dread rose higher and higher.
The crystal ones had to fight By causing suns to ignite. ...self defense. It is their right.

Back when all the stars were young, Before the Minstrel songs were sung,
When this galaxy was new There came from far the crystal few.
Gradually they spread through space. They were the first...the only race.

And harder still to recognize That which lies before one's eyes.
So many races have believed In only what was preconceived.
That which is ancient may be new... It all depends on point of view.

From inward out the races flee Searching for a place to hide...
Ever in a wave of war And on the crest the strongest ride.

We are the watchers of the dance. Many wonder at us...
But how could there not be an audience For the greatest of all comedies?
(The Minstrel Song - Everything2.com)

“It has long been possible to foresee that this rabid hatred, which for thirty years, every year more and more, has been kindled in the West against Russia, will someday break the chain. This moment has arrived. Russia was simply offered suicide, a renunciation of the very foundation of its existence, a solemn recognition that it is nothing else in the world, but a wild and ugly phenomenon, an evil that needs to be corrected. "... There is nothing more to deceive oneself. Russia, in all likelihood, will enter into a fight with the whole of Europe." - 1854 YEAR. ON THE EVE OF THE CRIMEAN WAR. FYODOR IVANOVICH TYUTCHEV.

As if it was written yesterday ...View attachment 76424

Quote by Joe Quinn, June 29, 2023:

"Guys like you are in what we call the 'Western wishful thinking-based community,' which we define as people who believe that they are 'reality creators' and that what they want to be true is actually true.' That's not the way the world really works anymore. We live in a multi-polar world now that is based on observable, objective reality, with which we align ourselves.

While you study reality through your wishful thinking lens, as you will, you'll draw conclusions about events that are entirely false, and you will take action on that false perception and repeatedly fail in your endeavors, and that's how things will sort out.

By aligning ourselves with objective reality, we become the future...and you, all of you in the wishful-thinking based community, will repeatedly fail to make sense of the world, and eventually become little more than a dream in the past."

Back
Top Bottom