Raine, Samenow, Fallon: Neuropsychology & The Work

whitecoast said:
I'm into chapter 4 of Samenow's Inside the Criminal Mind. So far it's been a little... frustrating to read, espeically after Raine's neurological work. As an example, Samenow argues that "no, peer groups do not turn us into criminals because many people have poor peers who are non-criminals", and he applies this to parents as well. What bothered me the most about the parenting chapter is that all the examples he gave of delinquent children/teenagers represented them as these little black (pandoran) boxes that just consistently outsmarted the ability of caring parents to curb their escalating behavior. He mentions that often psychologists and other authorities blame parents for when children turn out poorly, when (according to Samenow) the blame presumably lies with the child and his thinking errors and drives for certain expressions of power. To me, this isn't really solving the problem but rather passing the buck. It's still a moralistic interpretation imo. But again, I'm only 4 chapters in.

To whom/what would you prefer fault be assigned to for the behavior he describes in the book? I don't understand how revealing faulty thinking patterns as a very big source of behavioral issues is a "passing of the buck". To me, that's where the buck stops, regardless of one's age. It's not a moralistic interpretation, it's a frank assessment of the psychology of people's minds. By saying it's a moral interpretation, you are essentially discounting the focus of the entire book without having read but 4 chapters. Seems to me, like Laura, you just don't like that the focus is on the individual for fixing their faulty thinking and you are formulating your ideas around that discomfort.

Beau said:
To whom/what would you prefer fault be assigned to for the behavior he describes in the book? I don't understand how revealing faulty thinking patterns as a very big source of behavioral issues is a "passing of the buck". To me, that's where the buck stops, regardless of one's age. It's not a moralistic interpretation, it's a frank assessment of the psychology of people's minds. By saying it's a moral interpretation, you are essentially discounting the focus of the entire book without having read but 4 chapters. Seems to me, like Laura, you just don't like that the focus is on the individual for fixing their faulty thinking and you are formulating your ideas around that discomfort.

I'll comment on this once I've finished both of Samenow's works. I feel the comment above is helping me a bit to work though some of it though.

After the initial bucket of cold water in the face that ItCM threw at me, I've started to see the difference between having a criminal mind and acting in criminal ways. For example, I definitely identify with the chapter on criminals' attitudes to work: Their sense of entitlement, belief that they're special and deserving of a high paying job that's easy, not seeing the point in working hard for a living, etc.

But the criminals resort to crime in order to have their easy life. I never have. Yes, I think like them in many ways, but I don't follow through on that particular line of thought. I've always had a job. But understanding that has given me a greater understanding of what Nietzsche meant when he said that morality and acting morally can just be a facet of cowardice - that if I do the right thing, it's not always for the sake of doing the right thing; it can be from a fear of punishment or negative consequences for doing the wrong thing.

Anyway, any time I have acted in ways that I'm ashamed of and that have caused myself and others problems, the root of it has always been the kind of criminal thinking and presuppositions, justifications, that Samenow describes.

whitecoast said:
I'm into chapter 4 of Samenow's Inside the Criminal Mind. So far it's been a little... frustrating to read, espeically after Raine's neurological work. As an example, Samenow argues that "no, peer groups do not turn us into criminals because many people have poor peers who are non-criminals", and he applies this to parents as well. What bothered me the most about the parenting chapter is that all the examples he gave of delinquent children/teenagers represented them as these little black (pandoran) boxes that just consistently outsmarted the ability of caring parents to curb their escalating behavior. He mentions that often psychologists and other authorities blame parents for when children turn out poorly, when (according to Samenow) the blame presumably lies with the child and his thinking errors and drives for certain expressions of power. To me, this isn't really solving the problem but rather passing the buck. It's still a moralistic interpretation imo. But again, I'm only 4 chapters in.

For me, Samenow's take was at first very difficult to swallow. I've/we've been told all our lives that it's the parent's fault, it's society's fault, the environment, etc. The only antidote we here have had to that up until now has been the idea of psychopathy and psychopaths being born that way. But the more I read, the more his exposition rang true within myself, the more I found his take on things refreshing.

Laura said:
So, I guess those who are looking for excuses not to change, Raine and Fallon will give them what they want; for those who are interested in free will potentials, Samenow is the ticket, even if The Work is difficult. As he shows, it can be done.

When I was thinking about the best order to read the books in, I came to the idea that I would recommend Raine first, then Samenow. I had the image of waking up stranded on the planet Mars (a la The Martian). You're isolated and alone, you have amnesia, and all you know is that you're in a spacesuit.

Well, to me, before you start thinking about finding food, water, shelter, and then thinking about how you might get home, the first thing you'd want to know is how does your spacesuit work? What are its capacities and limitations? Is it fully functional or is it damaged in some way? Everything else, after all, is dependent on this piece of equipment that you're trapped in and dependent on.

So once we know how faulty our neuro-physicality might be, together with the possibility that its limitations can't be improved and we're stuck with predispositions because of all that, then we can correct for that through our thinking/action.

Keit said:
At least for me the main challenge in seeing the "terror of the situation" and endless layers of things that still have to be corrected, is that some of them could be permanently damaged, so there is no real prospect in becoming a fully and healthy functioning individual. There is only the "becoming better than before", and even this only after a continuous and conscious effort.

After the initial shock of that kind of realisation, I think it can actually be quite liberating. It takes the pressure off, knowing that there might be things about ourselves that can't be fixed. I mean, that the aim isn't to become perfect (if one has an inflated sense of self or perfection programme), but it's just to become good enough to achieve the aims we set ourselves.

Keit said:
Interestingly enough, it isn't so different from "being motivated by the threat of loss of one's freedom", or one's sanity to be exact. What also works is remembering being grateful...

I think that's one of the things that's saved me from becoming a criminal as a result of my criminal mind - well, that, together with good conditioning response and a naturally high resting heart rate - that I've always felt a sense of gratitude, for the jobs and the friends and the opportunities that I've had, the life I've been given, etc.

It's that sense of entitlement (self-justifying, as Anthony points out) that's the keystone of the criminal mind, I think. When you feel entitled to have whatever you want and treat others however you want, you can never be grateful for anything because you believe you're just 'owed' it all, and much, much more.

T.C. said:
Keit said:
At least for me the main challenge in seeing the "terror of the situation" and endless layers of things that still have to be corrected, is that some of them could be permanently damaged, so there is no real prospect in becoming a fully and healthy functioning individual. There is only the "becoming better than before", and even this only after a continuous and conscious effort.

After the initial shock of that kind of realisation, I think it can actually be quite liberating. It takes the pressure off, knowing that there might be things about ourselves that can't be fixed. I mean, that the aim isn't to become perfect (if one has an inflated sense of self or perfection programme), but it's just to become good enough to achieve the aims we set ourselves.

Jordan Peterson said (paraphrasing) that we should not compare ourselves to others, but compare ourselves to the person we were yesterday (and the day before yesterday). That really helps, I tell you. What you wrote, Keit, about these "endless layers of things that still have to be corrected", I know exactly what you mean. I am in my fifties and I have done many stupid and hurtful things, but I can also see where I have made improvements in my life. Even if they are small things they are still pretty big for me, because I wasn't able to do them last year let alone a decade ago.

T.C. said:
I think that's one of the things that's saved me from becoming a criminal as a result of my criminal mind - well, that, together with good conditioning response and a naturally high resting heart rate - that I've always felt a sense of gratitude, for the jobs and the friends and the opportunities that I've had, the life I've been given, etc.

It's that sense of entitlement (self-justifying, as Anthony points out) that's the keystone of the criminal mind, I think. When you feel entitled to have whatever you want and treat others however you want, you can never be grateful for anything because you believe you're just 'owed' it all, and much, much more.

I actually had to laugh at myself today after reading Samenow, because I had a real sense of entitlement, especially when I was younger (not sure whether I have rid myself of it completely). I really thought I was the bee's knees. Boy, was I wrong. :)

T.C. said:
...I definitely identify with the chapter on criminals' attitudes to work: Their sense of entitlement, belief that they're special and deserving of a high paying job that's easy, not seeing the point in working hard for a living, etc.

But the criminals resort to crime in order to have their easy life. I never have. Yes, I think like them in many ways, but I don't follow through on that particular line of thought...

Anyway, any time I have acted in ways that I'm ashamed of and that have caused myself and others problems, the root of it has always been the kind of criminal thinking and presuppositions, justifications, that Samenow describes...

So once we know how faulty our neuro-physicality might be, together with the possibility that its limitations can't be improved and we're stuck with predispositions because of all that, then we can correct for that through our thinking/action...

I think that's one of the things that's saved me from becoming a criminal as a result of my criminal mind - well, that, together with good conditioning response and a naturally high resting heart rate - that I've always felt a sense of gratitude, for the jobs and the friends and the opportunities that I've had, the life I've been given, etc...

Yeah built in neuro-physical biases can be a double-edged sword. If I take a regular personality test or one designed to give to criminals, I come out for the regular personality test as a harmonizer and on the one for criminals as someone who might say whatever the other person wants to hear. They are really both saying the same thing. Harmonizing might save me from my imagination getting me into trouble but it could also get me into more trouble if I imagine the other person wanting something that gets me into trouble. I might redirect easy to harmonizing with being responsible but it could be too late by then.

It never occurred to be that I need to attack the imagining/daydreaming/dissociating just as much as actual outward behavior. It's so easy to have wrong thinking (kind of like cognitive distortions as the criminal counselors would call it). The counselors do want you to concentrate on being an offender rather than on any cognitive distortion you might have as an excuse.

Laura said:
Beau said:
Laura said:
Yes, that's exactly the sort of "aha!" moments I had. Some about myself, and some about others, and many that were combinations. I think just about everybody is going to see themselves to some extent. What is most important is seeing how wrong things can go and that it doesn't have to be this way.

Reading about Yochelson's intense 'mirror' sessions with Leroy was so fascinating, and instructive. He spared no feelings, and he did that seemingly out of a desire to help his criminal patients to change and get better. The amazing thing to me was that he was able to reach some of his criminals and enact change. If there's any reason to feel positive about doing The Work and changing ourselves, just look at the people who were doing horrible things and who we would classify as psychopaths but who were clearly not because they changed their behavior through intense and serious feedback and changing their thinking.

Yes indeed! If those individuals, with so much more to work against than most people, could make changes, there is no reason that the ordinary person can't do it. But then, as Samenow pointed out, they were motivated by the threat of loss of their freedom. Only after awhile did their motivation arise from within to be a better person. That's why the "Terror of the Situation" or a "bankruptcy" seems to be needed for a person to truly, sincerely, engage in the work. Otherwise, the minute it gets uncomfortable, they back away and, if really pathological, attack those who offer them the only thing that could help turn their lives around. As Gurdjieff says, for such people, there is no worse punishment than that they should be stuck with themselves with no prospects for change.
I am looking forward to reading the books for deeper insight into something that has always interested me; the behaviour and thinking of people around me and trying to figure out what it means. Over time I realised that by looking for the 'meaning', why do they behave in such a way or why do they think that way, was only part of the information I needed. It was the 'nature' of their behaviour, who they ARE expressing themselves as BEing that gave me a clue to the phrase 'oh, that's just his/her way of talking/behaving'. I heard and hear it all the time but it is so telling. That was my trigger to think, what about me? How have people seen/heard me?

Naturally, I focused on my immediate circle of friends, family and coworkers and saw some very unpleasant and negative things. Some were not hard to change like taking responsibility for what I say/do without lame excuses. Instead of judging people, implying that I attribute a certain value to them, I worked on understating who they are as a result of whatever circumstance. Accordingly I adjusted my relationship with them and found that a lot of people fell away or I walked away. Same thing, I guess. But then I started applying the same overview to myself and believe me, I came up with some of the biggest bullshit excuses of why it's ok for me but not him/her/them. That's when loads of depressions set in and over time I have come to the decision 'no, you're not checking out, you're going to stare into the eyes of your lies every day and remember how they got you to be who you are.'

I could have continued to blame my parents for my narcissism but the truth is I could have stopped at any time. I didn't because it gave me a buffer from pain and discomfort and some kind of comfort zone. When I threw that buffer away I felt all the pain and with so many tears that my eyes felt like they were actually burning with acid. I admitted to the excuses, that I was once blind to, in causing my marriage separations and the blame I put on others including my husband; the way I used my victim role to get people to be on my side during those times, especially my kids. I have in the past few years been working on setting those records straight and many things have changed. Some for (subjectively speaking) better or worse but certainly a very different paradigm.

My youngest son is now the one with similar issues only to the nth degree. As much as I admit to my awful contributions to his childhood and mental formation, all I can do is be there to remind of my mistake and encourage a constructive dialogue when he wants it. The wise learning from mistakes of other, and all that. Other than that, he is an adult and has to make his own choice of who he wants to be. My concern is that he is mired in his comfort zone of lies, deception, victimhood, manipulation, etc and is not making effort to change other than paying lip service. This is one of the painful realisations I see before me every day and what motivates me to keep it real no matter how much it hurts because in the alternative, of reverting back to thinking with my emotions, I could no longer function. It has take it's toll on my heart, literally, with other physical ailments like my hands in the way I strained to 'handle' situations and so on.

Looking at myself from an 'outside' perspective has been the hardest thing I've ever done and yet it has been the most healing in a spiritual and 'inner core' strengthening sort of way. I am by no means done yet and need to work, among other things, on my bluntness in the form of external consideration because I still think that most people that cop it from me probably deserve it; judgement, right? Yeah I know, like I said it's work in progress and so much more to read and do. :lkj: Learning is fun, right, but every now and then we need to consider the 'grades' and see if we want to do better or rest on our laurels and watch true existence move beyond our reach.

Beau said:
Reading about Yochelson's intense 'mirror' sessions with Leroy was so fascinating, and instructive. He spared no feelings, and he did that seemingly out of a desire to help his criminal patients to change and get better. The amazing thing to me was that he was able to reach some of his criminals and enact change. If there's any reason to feel positive about doing The Work and changing ourselves, just look at the people who were doing horrible things and who we would classify as psychopaths but who were clearly not because they changed their behavior through intense and serious feedback and changing their thinking.

Yea, super fascinating - and inspiring! That last chapter where he gave his example of Leroy sure did sound like the work on a really intense level. It reminded me of the mirrors you see on the forum. What I think made it successful was that there was a genuine desire by Leroy to push on and continue through it, taking the feedback and consistently applying it. Seeing those things pointed out, as harsh it was, was the shock needed to get him back on track. I do wonder about cases where the treatment didn’t work. I think about how for some people here, no matter how many mirrors they receive, you realize that they ultimately don’t care and there’s nothing you can do, or they are simply incapable of doing it (biological factors). Those that don’t want to change, you will never be able to help. And that’s what’s so interesting - that his program would even work at all with those types seeing how ingrained their patterns are. Yet, there is some part of them that actually comes to value the feedback enough to see its utility and be further motivated to change. Although there was the threat of losing your freedom I think there was still something left in there that made them care even about that. If there's even a shred of being then there's hope!

I also thought that Raine’s and Samenow’s books complement each other. On one hand, Raine outlines the various risk factors from a biological/social angle, while Samenow provides a look into the psychological/behavioral motivations for that type of behavior and basically says that isn't the main issue. I think it lies somewhere in between. On the one extreme there are those with absolutely nothing wrong with their brain or upbringing but still exhibit criminal behaviour and on the other all the biological and environmental risk factors. Most fall somewhere in between the two. What was interesting was that the thought processes described by Samenow were consistent throughout the various types of criminals, despite the biological/social factors or their crimes. What was useful in Raine’s book was that you got a good idea of what can happen when the hardware is faulty and how much more work is needed to counteract that. Though we may not have access to brain scans, the social aspects we can determine for ourselves through examining our upbringing and discovering what those risk factors might be. Where we need to be careful is to not put all the blame on that, which is one thing that he raised up a few times. To what extent do you fault the behaviour on your faulty brain or a bad childhood? It's easy to blame it on external factors, just like in the examples Samenow gives. At the same time, there is a point where the biological/environmental setbacks are so great that there is almost nothing that could be done (like in Donta Page’s case). Still, it's not so cut and dried like in the example of Mr. Oft’s case where he knew what he was doing was wrong but couldn’t "stop" himself despite the strong causal link between his tumour and change in behaviour. However for the majority of cases, what Samenow is putting forward is more applicable – and approachable and therefore more useful for what we're trying to do. Some of the quotes below I think hit the mark in that respect.

Session 9 April 2011

[...]

A: We have more in mind. Take care with interacting with negative energies.

Q: (L) Well that’s kinda like creating your own reality, isn’t it?

A: Not what we mean… Keep your guard up and do not allow negative energies to slip by… such as believing lies… listening to negative music while thinking it is positive…watching negative movies and thinking it is negligible. It is extremely important to not lie to the self. One can listen or watch many things as long as the truth of the orientation is known, acknowledged, and understood. Clear?

Q: (L) So, in other words: awareness. Calling a spade a spade and not allowing something negative to enter you and believing it is positive. You can see it, perceive it and acknowledge it but not allow it to influence you. Because obviously, you cannot shut off your perceptions of the world, but you can control how it affects you. So, don’t let it inside, thinking it’s something that it’s not.

(Belibaste) So, see it as it is. If it is negative, see it as negative.

(L) Yeah, and they’re saying to focus on truth in order for changes to manifest in you that are positive. That is, “positive” can mean acknowledging that something is negative because it is truth.

Q: (Galatea) Choose the seeds you wish to water.

Taking his statement in that context, we need to be extra careful in how we deal with our thoughts and what we let in and allow to be influenced by. Today’s thoughts can fuel tomorrow’s actions, whether it be negative (like crime) or for something positive. Not easy to do and even more so if one stops to consider how much happens at a subconscious level and the various cognitive biases that come with having a big ol' brain! So to emphasize on correct thinking is really important. osit.

[quote author=Samenow]One criminal living in the community happened to mention that en route to the meeting, he had thought of cutting off a driver who abruptly pulled out in front of him. This thinking flashed by, consuming seconds out of a twenty-four-hour day. Though most people would forget it instantly, this man had been trained to turn a magnifying glass on his thinking. Reporting this seemingly insignificant incident provided substance for a discussion that touched on several themes—the criminal’s expectations of other people, his attempt to control others, his fears, and his anger.

[...]

Finally, Yochelson was teaching each of the men to take stock of himself, a deterrent process that he emphasized repeatedly. Yochelson had been holding a mirror up to Leroy, rubbing his nose in the slime of the past. Now it was time that Leroy held it up to himself. Alcoholics Anonymous requires its members to conduct a “searching moral inventory.” In the same way, if a criminal does not make a habit of reflecting on his life, he will not progress because there is little incentive to change.
[/quote]

These snippets stood out for me because it really is something you need to train for. There's no shortcut. It’s so easy to get caught up in day to day life that one doesn’t take the time to examine their thoughts, reflect on their life. Without developing this skill, it becomes very easy to be taken by your thinking errors and essentially become a slave to your passions. In the case of the criminal, that leads to crime but in an ordinary person, it just keeps them where they are, never developing or evolving into a better person. All those little opportunities to improve or correct things are lost unless you stop and take an honest look at yourself. Without doing that, you can never really know what could be. And without knowing that, what's the point? Why change yourself? Things are just fine the way they are thank you! It’s essentially thinking with a hammer - “hammering against one's beliefs and prejudices, creating internal friction by being critical of the thought process itself”.

[quote author=Samenow]One afternoon an attendant offered him a ride from the tennis court to his living quarters. Leroy accepted, only to find that the attendant went by way of the grocery store and purchased beer. Leroy took a few gulps and returned to the ward. No one had missed him, and no one knew about the beer except for the attendant, who wouldn’t tell. When Leroy reported the incident to the group meeting, Yochelson reacted to it as though he had murdered someone. Leroy saw no big deal because “everyone” wandered off the grounds. For an experienced criminal, it was easy to get past the guards. Beer didn’t hurt anyone. No one was the wiser. Wasn’t he entitled to a slip? He wasn’t perfect. In this single incident lay many errors in thinking. First, he had committed two violations of hospital regulations, as well as a violation of the program, by leaving the grounds without permission and drinking. Then there was Leroy’s insistence that he could make exceptions for himself. It was the old story of making what was wrong right because he considered it right for him at the time. It wasn’t the danger of a few gulps of beer that was at issue, but Leroy’s lifelong practice of making exceptions, with one offense leading to another. Furthermore, Leroy rarely stopped at one beer. Rather, beer was the first link in a chain of Scotch, heroin, women, crime. His claim that he had slipped and wasn’t perfect only meant that he had not exercised the necessary restraint to eliminate old patterns. Whether everyone went off the grounds and drank was irrelevant, a lame excuse. Everyone was not in the program. Leroy was. The main question was whether a beer was worth the sacrifice of his opportunity to become a responsible member of society.[/quote]

Thinking of all the excuses he made for himself, I was reminded of the many times I’ve done the same. Finding ways to justify my actions, because as I saw it, they were “no big deal”. But the truth is, they are also a big deal in the context of working oneself. When trying to deal with old programs, it takes very real efforts to exercise the restraint needed to eliminate those patterns. Any little excuse, any little lie has the potential to undo all of one’s effort up to that point. A sobering thought because anything else except for full responsibility in all your actions is just a lame excuse. No easy thing either because, well, who likes being wrong?

[quote author=Samenow]In this program he was taught to think not only about future events, but also about what his future thinking might be. Yochelson stressed the importance of thinking about thinking.[/quote]

Made me think of Collingwood where he calls it “thought of the second degree, thought about thought." ;)

[quote author=Samenow]
Leroy wanted to say the hell with it. Why should he bother? Why should he worry? If this was life, it was not what he bargained for. Patiently, Yochelson did what he had done so many times before. He asked Leroy what alternative he had. Every job had its difficulties. Yochelson was having his own with St. Elizabeths. Life was full of problems. It was only reasonable to expect that before one was solved, another would crop up. Did Leroy want to return to hustling, holdups, and heroin? Did he want to kill himself? If not, the only other course was to press on and do what had to be done.[/quote]

We may not be in Yochelson’s intensive criminal rehab program, but one could say we are in another intensive program: trying to become receivers/transducers of objective reality, to increase our receivership capacity. It does suck sometimes because the more you see, the more you realize just how f’ed up this planet is and it’s very easy to think similarly: the hell with it all – why bother? Life is short why spend the rest of it "suffering"? But what are the options really? Once you take the red pill there’s no going back. I ask myself if I could leave everything behind and go back to a life of ignorance? Sometimes I want to but I know I can’t. I can’t "unsee" what I’ve seen and to sit there and do absolutely nothing about it would drive me insane. It’s like swimming across a river where you don’t know exactly what lies on the other side. You’re not quite there but you know if you turn back you’ll surely drown. So, what’s left except to keep on?

Another thing with all these cases, aside from the supreme entitlement they portray, is the disconnect of their thought process to everything else around them. It's very much like the same thing that's going on with millennials nowadays; sense of entitlement, narcissism, completely disconnected from reality. Seeing it spelled out that way brings home another point – you don’t have to have a criminal mind to benefit from this. Because that so-called criminal is also YOU. Don't think you can become that person? Earlier Pashalis posted this video of one of Peterson’s talks (starting around 1:45:04) and which really kind of drove home the point after thinking about it:

[quote author=Jordan Peterson]You should be able to recognize in yourself all the horror of humanity and take responsibility for it because that’s what that means and the thing that’s so interesting about that is if you can recognize in yourself all the horror of humanity you will instantly have a hell of whole a lot more respect for yourself than you did before you did that. Because there’s some real utility in knowing that you’re a monster. And just because you’re a monster doesn’t mean you have to be a monster but it’s really useful to know that you are one. {and from reading Samenow, thinking errors left unchecked are what will turn you into one}

So one of the things that Jung knew, and this is something that I found so amazing about his writings, something that distinguishes him from Joseph Campbell, who talked about following your bliss, Jung said very clearly that the first step to enlightenment is the encounter with the shadow. And what he meant by that was everything horrible that human beings have done was done by human beings, and you’re one of them. And so if you don’t understand that, and to understand that really means to know how it was that you could’ve done it, and that’s a shattering thing. To try and imagine that, to try to imagine yourself as someone who’s engaged in medieval torture, to see how you could in fact do that. You’re never the same after you learn that. But being never the same after learning that is unbelievably useful because when you understand that that’s what you’re like, then you’re a whole different creature. And I don’t think, and this is something I did learn from Jung , is that you cannot be a good person until you know how much evil you contain within you. It is not possible. And it’s partly because you just don’t have any potency. Like, if you’re just naïve, if you’re just nice, if you’d never hurt anyone, you’d never hurt a fly, you don’t have the capability for any of that why would anyone ever take your seriously? You’re a domestic animal at best and a rather contemptible one at that. And it’s a very strange thing because you wouldn’t think that the revelation of the capacity for evil is a pre-condition for the realization of good.

First of all, why would you be serious enough to even attempt to pursue the good unless you had some sense of what the consequence was of not doing it? {ie, to really understand terror of the situation} You have to be serious about these sorts of things. It’s not the game of a child it’s the game of a fully developed adult. I learned this in part when I had little kids. I wrote a chapter for my new book “never let your children do anything that makes you dislike them”. And why was that? I wrote that after I knew I was a monster. And I thought, I’m gonna make sure I like my kids. I’m gonna make sure they behave around me so that I like them because I’m way bigger than them. And I’m way more cruel than they are. And I’ve got tricks up my sleeve they cannot even possibly imagine. And if they irritate me I will absolutely take it out on them. And if you don’t think that you’re the sort of person that would do that, then you are the sort of person who is doing it.[/quote]

So the terror of the situation is not just only realizing how bad things are, where the world is headed, the chaos. It's also you. It's not only an external thing, but also an internal thing. Peterson also gives a good example when he talks about what happened in Nazi Germany. Many people who were for all intents and purposes ‘good people’ committed acts of atrocity. Thinking errors on a massive scale. Or on a more personal level, even something as simple as Milgram's experiments. And that's something I try to keep in mind. Without knowledge input on a continual basis, without feedback, without paying attention to reality 'left' and 'right', without a network to watch your back, I think I would be just as likely as the next guy to do things I couldn't even imagine. Terrible things. Never assume for a second that you won’t given the right circumstances. For me, that’s a terrifying thought and highlights how important it is for someone to get themselves sorted out and keep themselves on track.

Laura said:
I think that everyone can see themselves in Samenow's work on the Criminal Mind, only what we see is "there, but for the grace of God..." And we realize all too painfully that, even though we didn't go there, we still have those kinds of thinking errors, some of us more often than others. It is painful to reflect on our lives and see all the times things went South in our relationships because of such errors. And, perhaps for some, there is a terrifying realization that this is what is still going on and it isn't pretty!

What is interesting is that Samenow has exposed the "Predator's Mind" in a way that is eminently practical and clear, and the consequences of some thinking errors allowed to run without challenge, is horrifyingly evident. If you want to see THAT play out, then read Ressler's "Whoever Fights Monsters". That should give you a big dose of the "Terror of the Situation."

What is also interesting is that we have talked about all of these things for years now; I wrote about it at length in The Wave; it is discussed in many of the previously recommended books in various ways; but until you read Samenow's clear, practical, on the spot examples of what it is and how it works and where it goes, it's all still just theoretical and you can use that same Predator's mind to argue your way out of it.

Also, Samenow's examples and his system of therapy highlights the value of what we do here, The Work, The Mirror, etc. And it is a much better method we have been devising and working with over the years than what is otherwise available elsewhere. Yes, obviously, from Samenow and Raine, Fallon and Ressler, we can see that The Work is NOT for everyone. But those who can do it from the position of the obyvatel instead of from the position of the criminal, may find benefits and blessings beyond anything they imagined.

I finished "Inside the Criminal Mind" a few days ago. Laura, you suggesting the thinking errors I described in myself as being disintegration into STS was a BIG shocker! The process I went through after that has been life changing and I sincerely hope I retain what I learned and I'm able to apply it all going forward. In a nut shell, the predators mind took over and tried like hell to argue its way out of what you said. After all, I KNOW myself better than anyone, I've been putting myself under the microscope for years, I KNOW I'm working towards STO and a good person. Yada, yada, yada, lots of excuses. Then the pressure became unbearable. I looked for answers and then saw the STS program running amok and stopped. I felt like a burden had been lifted and saw something I had no idea was there!

At this point I was very eager to read Samenow's book and breezed through it in a few days. In my case, it wasn't just reading the book that gave insight but all the circumstances leading up to reading it. It's been another Mind Blowing Event (LOL!). I thought yesterday, I've enrolled myself in a very demanding school by choosing to be here. I didn't know how demanding until this happened. A crucial puzzle piece has been added and I endeavor to see as many thinking errors as I can. I hope I don't loose this insight, with that said, I suppose it will take practice like Leroy in recovery.

An underlining interest of mine since coming here, has been seeing and understanding the predators mind (STS). Castaneda's declaration, "They gave us their minds" has been the impetus to see this in our society, other people and myself. I've caught glimpses of it in myself at times but only as a fleeting feeling of aggression and control towards another, the very obvious. It's WAY more then that, an intricate fabrication of all kinds of stories, lies we tell ourselves. Propping ones self up for survival I guess. It comes from wounding (in many cases) and it reminds me of Wilhelm Reich's book, "The Murder of Christ" which made an important impression on me years ago.

I loved Leroy's success story. Its so good to see alternative, innovative treatments being so successful. I don't know what book to read next. I want to keep this learning going, maybe the other Samenow book.

Thank you Dear Laura for bringing your work and concern to us all.

SummerLite said:
I loved Leroy's success story. Its so good to see alternative, innovative treatments being so successful. I don't know what book to read next. I want to keep this learning going, maybe the other Samenow book.

Yes, I would suggest The Myth of the Out of Character Crime by Samenow next.

Thank you Beau, That will be it then. :)

edit: I'd also like to get his book "Before It's Too Late: Why Some Kids Get Into Trouble--and What Parents Can Do About It"

https://www.amazon.com/Before-Its-Too-Late-Trouble/dp/0812930657/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1513190390&sr=1-2

A BIG thank you Laura, for the recommended books!

I 've read Collingwoods TIOH , Speculum Mentis and Raine's "The anatomy of violence"("Psychopathy" lies on the table waiting to be read) ,Samenow's "Inside the criminal mind" and Fallon's "The psychopath inside".
All of them together made a deep impression.
Fallon, I read last. Then all of a sudden I became so Angry. The words he said/wrote :" I JUST DON'T CARE " (what he was doing to the people around him) kept running inside my head and body. It took me days of feeling tense, sick and very angry. Why such a strong emotional reaction?

Thanks to Raine's biological take on errors in the brain and Samevow's and Gollinwood's point on Thinking I , finally, understood how a Schizoïd-paranoid person sees the world and thinks. My mother was such a person (she has passed away).
I have been blaming her, a lot, for all that happened until now, now I understand. No more blaming, no more victim playing on my part.
With this new knowledge and lots of reflection/ looking at my own dissociations, the angry feeling and bodily sickness disappeared . Really in an instant, gone...
So, I continu to observe my thoughts and dissociations. Looking back at what happened to me in these last days I realize how important it is to continu this work.
Thank you very much

maxtree said:
A BIG thank you Laura, for the recommended books!

I 've read Collingwoods TIOH , Speculum Mentis and Raine's "The anatomy of violence"("Psychopathy" lies on the table waiting to be read) ,Samenow's "Inside the criminal mind" and Fallon's "The psychopath inside".
All of them together made a deep impression.
Fallon, I read last. Then all of a sudden I became so Angry. The words he said/wrote :" I JUST DON'T CARE " (what he was doing to the people around him) kept running inside my head and body. It took me days of feeling tense, sick and very angry. Why such a strong emotional reaction?

Thanks to Raine's biological take on errors in the brain and Samevow's and Gollinwood's point on Thinking I , finally, understood how a Schizoïd-paranoid person sees the world and thinks. My mother was such a person (she has passed away).
I have been blaming her, a lot, for all that happened until now, now I understand. No more blaming, no more victim playing on my part.
With this new knowledge and lots of reflection/ looking at my own dissociations, the angry feeling and bodily sickness disappeared . Really in an instant, gone...
So, I continu to observe my thoughts and dissociations. Looking back at what happened to me in these last days I realize how important it is to continu this work.
Thank you very much

Thankfully, just as you described about yourself, sometimes just having the knowledge, the data, is enough to shift everything. Obviously, those who don't "get it" or don't apply it to themselves or their own life situations appropriately, won't get it.

Below is a list of Samenow's thinking errors. They are just summaries of the thinking errors found in his books. They don't provide the insight gained from the fuller context in his books, but they can help to define specific thinking errors for various situations.

http://attcnetwork.org/userfiles/file/GreatLakes/Webinars/Thinking%20Errors%20Handout.pdf

THINKING ERRORS CHARACTERISTIC OF THE CRIMINAL
(Yochelson and Samenow’s “The Criminal Personality”)

1. Energy – The criminal is extremely energetic. His or her high level of mental activity is directed to a flow of ideas as to what would make life more interesting and exciting.

2. Fear – Fears in the criminal are widespread, persistent, and intense; especially fears of being caught for something, fear of injury or death, and fear of a putdown.

3. Zero State – This is the periodic experience of oneself as being nothing, “a zero”; a feeling of absolute worthlessness, hopelessness, and futility.

4. Anger – Anger is a basic part of the criminal’s way of life. He or she responds angrily to anything interpreted as opposing what he or she wants. Anger is, for the criminal, a major
way of controlling people and situations.

5. Pride – Criminal pride is an extreme high evaluation of oneself. It is the idea that one is better than others, even when this is clearly not the case. Criminal pride preserves his or her
rigid self-image as a powerful, totally self-determining person.

6. The Power Thrust – Criminals need control and power over others. The greatest power excitement is doing the forbidden and getting away with it. The need for power, control, and dominance shows in all areas of their lives. The occasions when criminals appear to show an interest in a responsible activity are generally opportunities for criminals to exercise power and control.

7. Sentimentality – Criminals are often excessively sentimental about their mothers, old people, invalids, animals, babies, their love attachments, and plans for the future

8. Religion – Criminals use religion to support their way of thinking and their criminality. Their religious ideas are usually very literal and concrete. Religion (like sentimentality) does not consistently deter criminal thinking or actions, but does support the criminal’s self-image as a good and decent person.

9. Concrete Thinking – Criminals tend to think in terms of particular objects and events, rather than general and abstract concepts.

10. Fragmentation – This is a very basic feature of the criminal personality. It refers to radical fluctuations in the criminal’s mental state that occur within relatively short periods of time. There is a pattern of starting something, and then changing one’s mind. Criminals will make commitments with sincerity and great feeling, and then break these commitments within the hour. They may feel sentimental love for their children, and then take their money to buy drugs. Their personality is a collection of distinct, isolated, and contradictory fragments.

11. Uniqueness – Criminals emphasize their total difference from other people. They feel themselves to be special, “one of a kind.

12. Perfectionism – Criminal’s have extreme standards of perfection, although he or she applies theses standards sporadically and inconsistently.

13. Suggestibility – Criminals are (1) very suggestible with respect to any behavior that leads to what they want; (2) very resistant to suggestion toward responsible thinking and behavior.

14. The Loner – Criminals lead a private, secretive life; one against the world (including fellow criminals). They feel themselves to be apart from others, even if outwardly they are active and gregarious.

15. Sexuality – Criminals have plenty of sexual experience, but little in the way of sensual gratification or competence in performance. Conquest is essential, and a partner is regarded as a possession.

16. Lying – Criminal’s lying is a way of life. Lying is incorporated into his or her basic make up and feeds other criminal patterns. More common than premeditated lying, is habitual lying, which becomes automatic. The criminal defines reality with his or her lies, and so maintains control.

17. The Closed Channel – In treatment, an open channel of communication requires disclosure, receptivity, and self-criticism. Instead, the unchanged criminal is secretive, has a closed mind, and is self-righteous. If therapy for the criminal is to be effective, an open channel between the criminal and his or her therapist must be established.

18. “I can’t” – Criminals say, “I can’t” to express a refusal to act responsibly. At the same time they believe that there is nothing they can’t do if he or she wants to. Criminal’s say, “I can’t” to escape accountability for what he or she does.

19. The Victim Stance – When criminals are held accountable for their irresponsible actions, they blame others and portray themselves as a victim. The world does not give them what they think is essential, so they view themselves as poorly treated and thus a victim.

20. Lack of Time Perspective – Even more than wanting what they want when they want it, criminals demand immediate possession and success. They must be the best, have the best, right now.

21. Failure to Put Oneself in Another’s Position – Criminals demand every consideration and every break for themselves, but rarely stop to think about what other people think, feel, and expect.

22. Failure to Consider Injury to Others – Criminals lives involve extensive injury to those around them. However, they do not view themselves as injuring others. When held accountable, they regard themselves as the injured party.

23. Failure to Assume Obligation – The concept of obligation is foreign to criminal thinking. Obligations interfere with what they want to do. Obligation is viewed as a position of weakness and vulnerability to other’s control. Obligations are irritating to the criminal, and if pressed, he or she will respond with resentment and anger.

24. Failure to Assume Responsible Initiatives – The criminal declines to take responsible initiatives because (1) responsible initiatives fail to provide the excitement and power thrust of forbidden activities, (2) they do not provide a guarantee of success and triumph, and (3) they are often afraid that accepting responsible tasks will expose their lack of knowledge and ineptness.

25. Ownership – When criminals want something that belongs to someone else, it is as good as theirs. “Belonging” is established in their minds, in the sense that they feel perfectly justified in getting their way.
Criminals consider themselves decent people with the right to do whatever suits their purpose. They view the world as their oyster and view people as pawns or checkers, waiting to be dealt with as they wish. This thinking is habitual and without malice.

26. Fear of Fear – Criminals are fearful of fear and contemptuous of fear. When they discern fear in others, they point it out scorn it, and exploit it. When fear occurs in them, it is a put-down, destroying their self-esteem. This applies also to the many states that denote degrees of fear- doubt, concern, apprehension, and anxiety. They deny these in themselves but when they occur in others, the criminal is ready to pounce.

27. Lack of Trust – Although criminals do not trust others, they demand that others trust them. There are times when their trust of others is sincere, but this is only one of the many fragments of their personalities. It does not last.

28. Refusal to Be Dependant – Like anyone else, criminals depend on other people for some things in life. However, they do not see themselves this way. They fail to believe that a degree of independence is a necessary part of existence. To themselves, dependence is a weakness; lt would render them vulnerable.

29. Lack of Interest in Responsible Performance – Criminals are not interested in responsible tasks that don’t offer immediate excitement. They find responsibility boring. When they do become interested in a responsible project their interest is short-lived, unless they feel the excitement of being a conspicuous success.

30. Pretentiousness – Criminals do little to achieve, but carry tremendously inflated ideas about their capacities. They are, or will be the best, never that they will do their best. They are right and others are wrong, “I usually get mad... if I hear somebody say anything wrong. I usually try to set them straight.” When confined they regard themselves as more knowledgeable than prison staff and seize every
opportunity to teach others.

31. Failure to Make an Effort to Endure Adversity – “Effort” refers to doing things that are contrary to what one prefers to do. In this sense, criminals expend little effort, though they may expend tremendous energy doing what they want to do. They refuse to endure the adversity of responsible living. The main adversity to criminals is failure to be a big shot. Adversity is anything that is not going their way. Criminals escape from “adversity” into criminal thought action, which is exciting.

32. Poor Decision Making for Responsible Living – In important personal decisions there is no sound reasoning, fact-finding, consideration of costs, or options. Criminals are reluctant to ask a question about non-criminal activities, because they view it as a put–down to reveal their ignorance. If their pretensions and expectations are controverted by the facts, they do not want to hear them.

33. Corrosion and Cutoff - Criminals may be deterred from criminal activity by a sense of conscience, a sincere wish to change and by sentimental, religious, or humanitarian feeling, as well as, by fear of getting caught. Criminals overcome these deterrents to their criminality by the processes of corrosion and cutoff.

Corrosion – A mental process in which deterrents are slowly eliminated until the desire to commit a criminal act outweighs the deterrent factors. This is criminal scheming. In this process a criminal’s sentiments, ideals and fears gradually give way to the desire for a criminal activity.

Cutoff – A mental process that eliminates deterrents from consideration completely and instantaneously. The gradual process of corrosion is completed by the final cutoff of fear and other deterrents to crime. Cutoff is a mental process that produces fragmentation (Number 10). Criminals radically move instantaneously from one mental state to another.

34. Building Up the Opinion of Oneself as a Good Person – Criminals believe that they are good and decent people. They reject the thought that oneself is a criminal. Performing sentimental acts towards others enhances the criminal’s view of oneself as good. The image of themselves as good people gives them, in turn, a license for more crime, and postpones the recurrence of the zero state.

35. Deferment – Criminals defer or “put things off” in three distinct areas. (1) They carry with them the idea of an ultimate crime, the “big score,” but defers enacting it. (2) They have the idea that one day they will quit crime, go straight and settle down, but that day is constantly deferred. (3) They have a habit of deferring the minor routine responsibilities of life – paying a bill, writing a letter, filing a tax return.

36. Super optimism – A criminal’s mind works in such a way that a possibility or an assumption is an accomplished fact--an idea is a reality. If someone tells the criminal “maybe” he regards it as a promise. Anything that he or she decides to do is as good as done. The criminal uses cutoff to eliminate fear and doubt. The result is that as he or she approaches a criminal activity; the state of absolute confidence is reached. Superoptimistic, there is not a doubt in his mind. Similarity, if he does decide to become a responsible person, he is Superoptimistic of his or her success. Once this decision is made, the criminal will believe that change has already accrued.

Renaissance said:
Below is a list of Samenow's thinking errors. They are just summaries of the thinking errors found in his books. They don't provide the insight gained from the fuller context in his books, but they can help to define specific thinking errors for various situations.

Finished reading "Inside the Criminal Mind" and my copy of "The Myth of Out of Character" is yet to arrive. As others mentioned earlier, Leroy's case was particularly revealing. The whole book as a build-up to that final chapter on "habilitation" was worth it.

I particularly appreciate that the book highlights free will and the choice between good and evil. There has been multiple mirrors throughout the years and I'm reminded of instances when people scoffed about the "lack of love and understanding" in the mirroring process. They failed to understand how little people riddled with thinking errors appreciate the truth about themselves. The ideal situation is to gain knowledge to have more free will. A mirror can be a moral compass when needed, but reading these books have the potential to provide the same process for well-adjusted individuals (in comparison to the cases in the book), pretty much like a bucket of cold water can stop nonsensical thought loops and consequential behavior.

I remember reading numerous self-help books which highlighted self-pity in indirect ways and at some point, I became completely fed-up, finding more meaning in books like Simon's "Character Disturbance". That was immensely more helpful in terms of increasing free will than any other past readings.

My copy of "Whoever Fights With Monsters" arrived first, so now I'm reading that. The cases are pretty extreme, thus, the examples are hard to miss. :shock:

Life is difficult. Dr. Gabor Mate has worked with the most severe addicts and has found that they invariably have had significant childhood trauma. While this is undoubtedly true, knowing it doesn't help them recover. Many, if not most, of those addicts had siblings who were subjected to the same conditions as they were. Yet, many of them did not become addicts, or alcoholics, or criminals. What's the difference? I think it's adaptability to reality. The alcoholic/ addict or criminal to be is the one who seeks to find the easier, softer way through life. To cheat if necessary. And of course they think they can pull it off because they are better than everyone else.

Bill Wilson understood the alcoholic very well. It's too bad he felt it necessary to embed the program of A.A. so thoroughly in Judaic/ Christian ideology. I think it does more to confuse the issue than help. Is a higher power going to solve the alcoholics problem? Maybe, in a very roundabout way. Bill says of the alcoholic that "the problem centers in his mind" and that "we were in full flight from reality." In the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, Bill says; "we had to remove the word blame from our vocabulary." He used the words 'easier softer way' to describe the program of A.A. because he knew that would get the alcoholics attention. "What's that you say?" "The easier softer way?" Yes,yes, go on"

It's only when the easier softer way of drugs and alcohol is no longer the easier softer way, that most alcoholics have any legitimate chance at recovery at all. In the program we call it, "the gift of desperation."

Unfortunately I have to get ready and go to work. Samenow really solidified and clarified many things I already knew about what it really takes to recover. Whether from alcohol and drugs or from criminal behavior

I will say that when a person in a twelve step recovery program works the steps sincerely they are brought back into integrity with themselves and with those who's lives they have adversely affected.

Back
Top Bottom