Recapitulation

Thank you Laura for your much needed effort in clarifying this issue. Recapituation, as suggested by Casteneda, has long been an attraction on mine. However, there is just NO possible way that I could ever do this given my life and my human body (giving up the need for 6-8 hours of sleep every 24 hours would be helpful). Currently I'm reading "Why is it Always About You" by Sandy Hotchkiss. I picked it up because it caught my eye and I've been lately concerned about some developing issues regarding my 14 y.o. daughter and her narcissistic father (my ex). In the 3rd section of this book it gives strategies for coping with narcissism and I thought that would be helpful right now. I'm about halfway through it, however, and I feel like I missed something. I have ordered the books you have recommended and am looking forward to the next step.

Laura said:
The Narcissistic Family then brings it back home again. This is a painful book to read because if, by some remote chance, you were able to go through the other three books and keep thinking "oh, that doesn't apply to me," then that final illusion will be stripped away with TNF.
This was an exceptionally useful book for me - thank you Laura. The case study in the appendix of psychotherapy sessions with Mr and Mrs Blake were an almost identical type of negative feedback loop that our situation has deteriorated to. Our marriage was dysfunctional, destructive, with poor communication on both sides. I could see from TNF that I was from a covert narcissitic family background and my wife from a traumatic overtly narcissitic background. - the result being that neither of us could empathise with each others actions, speech and behaviour and the conflict we were having was becoming more acute and prolonged as further issues were building on long-standing unresolved issues.

I can see now how i was blind to the fact that what i had considered was a normal and happy family upbringing has in fact caused me to exhibit narcissistic traits of intellectual retreat, coldness and indifference and difficulty in communicating my feelings. My partner was bottling up her feelings, snapping at the slightest provercation, displaying deep mistrust that was verging on paranoia and reacting to her 'mind read' interpretation of my justifications.

We did have a joint therapy session that we won't be continuing - it degenerated amusingly into petty accusations about how me not buying a nan bread for my wife was seen as me imposing a gluten-free diet on her and her buying cakes i thought was her trying to tempt and control me!...but was useful in getting us talking together without being at each others throats.

We are now just beginning to use the techniques suggested in TNF to get to the important issues affecting us, working hard to maintain Respectable Adult communication (RAC) and using compartmentalisation (putting issues in boxes) to discuss rationally what the issues are and what is going to best for us and our son. For the first time our relationship is being discussed as it actually is - without the illusion of what we would both like it to be or the ideals we are clinging to. How this will pan out is still uncertain but we both feel like a dark cloud has been lifted from us and we can really begin to creatively forge our own futures.

So thank you once again for the suggestions. I cannot recommend them highly enough. The positive effects that this will have on our son cannot be underestimated.

on a side note: Recently I saw in a different thread Anart refer to my 'marriage' in single quotes. This simple use of quotes hit me like a brick how we were both clinging to an illusion of what a marriage should be - incredible how the smallest of subtlety can have such deep impact.

on a side moan: Unfortunately 'Trapped in the mirror' has become 'trapped in the post' so i am trying to track down a synopsis or alternative source - being a little reticent to buy it twice.

Laura said:
1) Trapped in The Mirror by Elan Goulomb
2) Unholy Hungers by Barbara Hort
3) The Myth of Sanity by Martha Stout
4) The Narcissistic Family by Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman and Robert M. Pressman
Is anyone aware of Croatian translation of those books, because I can't find them in online published catalogs...
And, if not, since I never ordered anything online, is there some suggestion from which site would be the best to purchase those books in English
and get them delivered in Croatia?

Thank you very much for your help.

I don't think they are translated to Croatian.
Amazon is always the best option

I think this passage of Castenada's is important, granted going over every relationship and interaction in our lives is hard work, but I believe in doing things the hard way, as there is often so much more to be gained. I don't think it's necessary to go over every minor incident in our lives, although we should be careful as what to what we deem 'minor', as some seemingly insignificant interactions can yield some powerful lessons!

Certainly though in a 'daily review', I think every interaction that occurred should be given its due.

I do think it's very valuable to review our whole lives thoroughly, and doing it in the way Castenada suggests seems to me to be very useful. I've been unwittingly recapitulating for a long time now, though not in so systematic a fashion, and not without self-reproach. It has certainly helped me to hone external consideration. I had come to a block though, memories from below the age of 11 are almost non-existent, which is troubling, as I have a very good memory. Recently though, I have got back in touch with a few childhood friends (thanks to Facebook) and upon seeing their names and faces, snippets of memory did come back.

One was a girl I had bullied as a kid, I got the chance to apologise to her for that. So, in reviewing the effects other people other people had on our lives, and vice versa, can we discover any Karmic consequences we have accrued along the way. As in the legend "A Bao A Qu" we must cast no shadow when we come to the threshold or our souls can not achieve perfection.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=1102

TheManyShadesOfJo said:
I had come to a block though, memories from below the age of 11 are almost non-existent, which is troubling, as I have a very good memory. Recently though, I have got back in touch with a few childhood friends (thanks to Facebook) and upon seeing their names and faces, snippets of memory did come back.
That's a bit similar to what I did recently, since I also encountered block at my early teen years and couldn't go through experiences from this period. So I dug out old photos, those that were taken at the beginning of every new school year, where one can see all his long forgotten school mates. I experienced especially strong rush of emotions looking at secondary school pictures and how I myself looked like.

Regarding the "Big Four":

1) The Myth of Sanity by Martha Stout
2) Trapped in The Mirror by Elan Goulomb
3) Unholy Hungers by Barbara Hort
4) The Narcissistic Family by Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman and Robert M. Pressman

This is just so cool! I mean..cool like a rough rollercoaster ride - I am going through great "heights" of understanding alternatively with severe "lows" of depression. While earlier attempts to review my past experiences and relationships brought only moderate results (or no results at all), it really went into "turbo mode" after reading first three of these books. These writtings provide structure, a blueprint which take the work of recapitulation to whole another level. What was evading me for years, now began finally to see the light. Facts, events, attitudes, emotions begin to emerge and gradually occupy their appropriate places.

This stuff rocks, however I found out that it can't be done quickly - at least in my case. When almost every paragraph scraps my old wounds I can take only that much - after dozen or so pages I just have to stop and leave it for few days. During these idle days/hours when I do nothing particular, memories come back to me, saturate my thoughts to crystalize in understanding eventually. And my god..hot bath with candles helps :)

j0da said:
This stuff rocks, however I found out that it can't be done quickly - at least in my case. When almost every paragraph scraps my old wounds I can take only that much - after dozen or so pages I just have to stop and leave it for few days. During these idle days/hours when I do nothing particular, memories come back to me, saturate my thoughts to crystalize in understanding eventually. And my god..hot bath with candles helps :)
Ah I am glad I am not the only one.
I am trudging through trapped in the mirror for the moment and I suffer from a "cold".
So yeah it is a slow process with high and lows and it can't be rushed out.

I think it may be slow because it helps to remove layers upon layers of the shell that has been built around the real personality. Bit by bit until a huge piece can be removed to dissolve itself.
I guess most of us recoiled from the pain at an early age so it's a bit like a teeth that hurts, you try to forget it but it's still nagging and when you touch it you could almost faint, but still it needs to be "healed" and that may not be without pain. Well that's how I see it.

The great thing about these books it's that I can finally understand correctly what I found out about myself through introspection all these years but could not formulate adequately. Like you said Joda, they provide a very clear structure which can be lacking when you're recapitulating your life.

jOda said:
Regarding the "Big Four":

1) The Myth of Sanity by Martha Stout
2) Trapped in The Mirror by Elan Goulomb
3) Unholy Hungers by Barbara Hort
Yea, sounds like just what I need, but I really can't afford to buy books at the moment, anywhere I can download any of them??

TheManyShadesOfJo said:
Yea, sounds like just what I need, but I really can't afford to buy books at the moment, anywhere I can download any of them??
Uhm, this is a NO NO - these books are not "free", Jo. If you cannot afford these or other books from "required reading' section right now, it's better to wait and save some cash. Meanwhile you are welcome to familiarize yourself with all materials provided free of charge here at SOTT and Cass pages.

Jo, is there a community library or university library around where you live? If there is, you can get access to a large selection of books with minimal fee. I get access to most of the books I read from university library and community library. I only buy those that I cannot find in those libraries.

I work at a university! That's a great idea, I'll have a check (don't hold much hope though, books like this are hard to find in Malaysia).. Thanks!

I recently finished reading Myth of Sanity and wouldn't mind sending you my copy via mail if you can't find it at your local libraries. I think that the psychology books that have been recommended ought to be relatively easy to come by; however, Laura's books are another story. Good hunting!

Oh thats very kind of you, thank you for the offer! I've not had a great deal of luck finding good psychology books here so far, a few gems but its mostly self-help books and new age "wonders". Malaysia's more into psychiatry than psychology.. I will definitely check the libraries out though. Hmm.. better yet, I'll ask the university library to order them. Books like those could change a kid's life :)

I've noticed a number of new threads started where the post more properly belonged in this thread. Worth keeping at the top so people can find it.

Back
Top Bottom