Recommended Books: Discussion

Van Buren is not on even the optional list. Still, what would you say about this book? I'm shifting back and forth between ordering it and not for a loooong time - it's out of print and quite expensive, so, if it's out of QFS recommended list, one may sleep better without thoughts about this book?

Elizabeth van Buren's Refuge of the Apocalypse?

No, it's not on the list. It is entertaining and somewhat helpful for those particularly interested in alchemy and so on, but there's not much there that will actually help anyone in a practical or useful way.

Great list.

I was surprised to see Snakes in Suits not included. I am halfway through it and it is a fantastic book in the way it is structured and reads. It has a slant towards psychopaths in a corporate setting, so maybe this is why it was not included.

domivr said:
Great list.

I was surprised to see Snakes in Suits not included. I am halfway through it and it is a fantastic book in the way it is structured and reads. It has a slant towards psychopaths in a corporate setting, so maybe this is why it was not included.
Hi Domivr,

It's listed. ;)

Psychology

Mask of Sanity - Hervey Cleckley
Trapped in the Mirror - Elan Golomb
Unholy Hungers - Barbara E. Hort
In Sheep's Clothing - George K. Simon
Operators and Things - Barbara O'Brien
Myth of Sanity - Martha Stout
Sociopath Next Door - Martha Stout
Without Conscience - Robert Hare
Snakes in Suits - Robert Hare and Paul Babiak
Predators - Anna Salter
Political Ponerology - Andrzej Lobaczewski
In Broad Daylight - Harry N. MacLean
The Narcissistic Family - Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman and Robert M.
Pressman
*Psychology of Intelligence Analysis - Richards J. Heuer, Jr.

Tina said:
Hi Domivr,

It's listed. wink
Yup, I edited the list and added a few more! So, any good suggestions, and we can add them.

I'm about half-way through Ouspensky's The Fourth Way and was wondering if there was any major reason for it not being included in the Esoterica section. I, personally, find his Q/A format very easy to follow (kind of like reading the Cass transcripts). Also, I found that his approach is much more "practical" than in ISOTM, and I'm finding myself experimenting much more and finding his suggestions for doing so more efficiently quite useful so far.

I've read ISOTM and also half-way through Gurdjieff's Beezlebub's Tales and, so far, I haven't found any discrepancies between Gurdjieff's and Ouspensky's ideas, albeit, like I said, the more "practical" approach taken in the The Fourth Way.

Any thoughts? I just want to make sure I'm not being led "astray" with my current readings. Thanks :)

Laura said:
Tina said:
Hi Domivr,

It's listed. wink
Yup, I edited the list and added a few more! So, any good suggestions, and we can add them.
Here's way too many suggestions:

9/11:
Meyssan, Thierry - Pentagate
Meyssan, Thierry - 9/11 The Big Lie
Ostrovsky, Victor - By Way of Deception
Raimondo, Justin - The Terror Enigma

Zionism:
Hidden History of Zionism - Ralph Shoenman
Zionism in the Age of the Dictators - Lenni Brenner
The Iron Wall - Lenni Brenner
51 Documents - Lenni Brenner
Final Judgment - Michael Collins Piper
New Jerusalem - Michael Collins Piper
High Priests of War - Michael Collins Piper

Related History:
Koestler, Arthur - The Thirteenth Tribe
MacDonald, Kevin - The Culture of Critique
Collins, Andrew - Tutankhamen: The Exodus Conspiracy
Finkelstein, Israel - The Bible Unearthed
Fox, Hugh - Gods of the Cataclysm
Friedman, Richard - Who Wrote the Bible
Gershom, Yonassan - Beyond the Ashes
Gorenberg, Gershom - The End of Days
Halsell, Grace - Forcing God's Hands
Dever, William - Who Were the Early Israelites? [haven't read this one, but the description on amazon looked good]

UFOs:
The Mothman Prophecies - John Keel
UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse - John Keel
Passport to Magonia - Jacques Vallee
Messengers of Deception - Jacques Vallee
Firestorm: James A. MacDonald's Fight for UFO Science - Ann Druffel
Alien Agenda - Jim Marrs

Grail Mythology and Shamanism:
Blake and Lloyd - The Keys to Avalon
Littleton and Malcor - From Scythia to Camelot
O'Shea, Stephen - The Perfect Heresy
Weston, Jessie - The Legend of Sir Perceval
Weston, Jessie - From Ritual to Romance

Geomythology, Catastrophism, and the Scientific Thought Police:
Bakker, Robert - The Dinosaur Heresies
Flem-Ath, Rand - When the Sky Fell
Fomenko, Anatoly - History: Fiction or Science?
Hapgood, Charles - Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings
Lethbridge, T.C. - The Power of the Pendulum
Muck, Otto - Secret of Atlantis
Santillana and Von Dechend - Hamlet's Mill
Joseph, Frank - The Lost Pyramids of Rock Lake
Wunderlich, Hans George - The Secret of Crete

Would the following be a good example of "core works":

In Search of the Miraculous - P.D. Ouspensky
All and Everything Series-G.I. Gurdjieff
(Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson,Meetings with Remarkable Men, Life is Real Only Then, when "I am" )
The Active Side of Infinity - Carlos Castaneda
The Fire From Within - Carlos Castaneda
Gnosis I, II, III - Boris Mouravieff

The reason I ask is my funds are very limited. Would this be enough to begin Working?

As far as psychopathy goes, I have read "Masks of Sanity", and have had more experience with psychopaths etc than I care to discuss. Another good book on the methods used by pathological folks in the workplace is called "Cubicle warfare."

It takes time to get through. First time at it, I threw up. Its enlightening, disgusting, and sometimes it requires handling with tongs. (no I am not kidding, I have done that)

Political Ponerology is no longer on Amazon. :( I know about pathocracy at work and in every day living, but not how to recognize them systemically. Is that what ponerology is about?

I do have another suggestion for the list but Im not sure I should post it publically. Would it be possible to email a Mod privately?

Gimpy
Yeah, I'm cautious today

Gimpy said:
Political Ponerology is no longer on Amazon. sad I know about pathocracy at work and in every day living, but not how to recognize them systemically. Is that what ponerology is about?
Actually, do to quantity restrictions, we've not yet carried Ponerology on our Amazon marketplace. That should change soon, though. Political Ponerology is available now through www.qfgpublishing.com - here is its specific link... http://www.qfgpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=54&osCsid=ca946fb131d5ef73032e67623bc72537

Gimpy said:
Would the following be a good example of "core works":

In Search of the Miraculous - P.D. Ouspensky
All and Everything Series-G.I. Gurdjieff
(Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson,Meetings with Remarkable Men, Life is Real Only Then, when "I am" )
The Active Side of Infinity - Carlos Castaneda
The Fire From Within - Carlos Castaneda
Gnosis I, II, III - Boris Mouravieff

The reason I ask is my funds are very limited. Would this be enough to begin Working?
As you listed 9 books, here are 9 books I think are good to start out with, if funds are low:

In Search of the Miraculous
Gnosis Book I
Laura's work available online (Wave Series, Adventures Series)
Political Ponerology
Controversy of Zion

Thank you hkoehli, have a question on part of the list:

How high is the 'barf factor'* in the following:

I have to take the psycho stuff a bit gingerly. I have read the Wave series and Adventures online, but am wanting to make a second read through. The repetitions of material in both series is wonderful imo. My short term memory sucks, and while I've seen critics whine in online reviews about that on Amazon, it's appreciated.

*Barf Factor: a physical sickness brought about by too much empathy for victims of sociopaths/psychopaths. No I can't shut it off. Not sure I should. Keeps my behind intact. (That and a very big dog)

Gimpy

I never heard of someone getting physically sick from too much empathy. Are you sure this is what causes the "barf factor"? Nevertheless, the books hkoehli mentions should be read because of the psychological knowledge it provides in learning how to identify and deal with the psychopath/narcissist in your life.

One thing to add here. You may want to hold off on the Gurdjieff writings ("All and Everything") because "Beelzebub's" it REALLY hard to get through. Reading ISOTM and "Gnosis" first is probably a good idea.

Then you can move on to Gurdjieff.

If you funds are limited, the psychology/ponerology + COZ books are probably most important I think because they deal with what is happening now and in the immediate future.

But really, they are all connected.

Don

Back
Top Bottom