RH Negative blood, fact and theory

hi all, i am one of the 0.6% of population. too bad, no blood type can take our blood

:welcome: Welcome to the forum tito.

As this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you could post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us a bit more about how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

Lindenlea said:
My son is O- (only found out about 18 months ago), the irony is that according to the Australian blood bank rules, we can't give blood as we were all in England for 6 months plus from 1984, and many times after that, I'm not sure if that was because of AIDS or Mad Cow disease or whatever, but we were excluded.

We never botherd to even try to donate after that, but I may just contact them and see if that has been changed in the last two years, unless any Aussie members have more recent information.

Many thanks

I too am banned from giving blood in Australia because I lived in the UK between 1984-1986. It looks like that from 2000, Australia lost a generation of blood doners because of this very small risk.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Creutzfeldt_Jakob_disease

From what I found out about it - a few years ago now, it hadn't been reversed because there was no definitive test for vCJD, at the time. This may be different now, according to this article, but I'm not sure what it would take to get the blood bank ban reversed. They tend to be extremely paranoid. I didn't realise that this was only a variant type and that there were other types of this disease too.

http://www.prion.ucl.ac.uk/press-media/press-releases/blood-test-for-vcjd/

This is interesting.

Kniall said:
I'm glad this came up because it reminds what my grandmother, who is O-, told me about her offspring recently.

My father was her eldest, followed by an aunt - no physical complications. But every child born after that required 'exchanges' where, apparently, the entire blood supply of the newly-born is exchanged for... another blood type? Rhesus+ blood? I'm unsure. And she didn't seem to know herself! It sounded ludicrous hearing about it for the first time. How can a one-off transfusion just switch a person's blood type like that? Surely the body continues to produce blood according to its genetics?

Interesting because my mother told me something about this when I was a young woman - apparently a family she knew of had lost several children due to this reason. However she didn't mention that her blood type was A negative and my father's was O positive and I only found this out fairly recently. It turns out that I am the only one of her children with A positive blood type - I was born in 1961, the 6th of 8 children.
One of my brothers is O negative and the rest of my siblings are A negative. I am the only one with rh positive blood. Strange because I've never had any major health problems - perhaps because I was the first (and only) rh positive pregnancy?

ARC

Moderator: Added quote tags.

ARC, just a note that it's best if you insert text that you wish to quote - especially if it's from an earlier, older post - into a quote-box. I've done this to your above post by highlighting the area to be placed in a quote-box, then clicking on the 'Insert Quote' icon in the post preview menu. To indicate who the author was, I've added their name to the opening quote tag, as follows:

{quote=kniall} .....TEXT GOES HERE..... {/quote}

ARC said:
perhaps because I was the first (and only) rh positive pregnancy?

Absolutely. When you are the first and rh positive, there is no need for the shot or anything unless your mom had already antibodies built (which can happen for example if she had a transfusion and accidentally received rh positive blood etc.).

Too many women receive the shot either when not needed or too late. In the U.S. there is the standard shot after 6 weeks. In most countries in Europe they give the shot after the first pregnancy with an rh positive child to avoid any type of complications or "chemical pregnancies" in the future.

:welcome: Welcome to the forum RhesusNegative.

As this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you could post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us a bit more about how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

O negative is supposed to be copper based as distinct from iron, hence a blue-green tarnish of copper; the nazi couldn't 'legally' attack jews based on blood because both groups are represented by several different blood types, the germans at that time mostly A, and jewish mostly B, both positive, but you may need to do further research. :cool2:

:welcome: to the forum Brennan!

Brennan said:
O negative is supposed to be copper based as distinct from iron, hence a blue-green tarnish of copper; the nazi couldn't 'legally' attack jews based on blood because both groups are represented by several different blood types, the germans at that time mostly A, and jewish mostly B, both positive, but you may need to do further research. :cool2:

I'm having trouble understanding your post here, could you clarify what you mean?

hm, I can't really help here, because I didn't get my head around this fully, but I tend to think Brennan is referring to the different phenotypes that result from using different metals as so to say control units in the cells combined with Blood types. When iron is used in rhesus negative types, u get more like blue eyed and blond haired people, with copper instead in rhesus negative types combined with other blood types u get more green eyed and red haired people. I only read about this once and cant remember when and where. (so that is where there is no help from my side)
I myself am, according to my own baby pass, AB neg. . I do not know whether this is correct or not. I cannot find anything blood type related about my pregnancy 18 years ago, and back then I do not remember anything done to me (like a passive vaccination, and I would remember that!) or anyone saying anything about possible complications with the pregnancy. My son is B pos. . Eight years ago I had a miscarriage, quite early in the pregnancy, about week six or seven. That said, I am green eyed, red haired, high cheek bones, slim... everything you would translate with "celtic".
So maybe it is true, that I am rhesus negative, although nobody in my pregnancy told me about that ( and I didnt know, to admit that). I could simply do another blood test, but somehow I do not at all want to...

After reading through this thread a few times, I wish to add to this list. I am A-.
My thoughts are that we need to note our blood type in our profile somewhere.
I have added it to my account details in the ‘About You’ area.
I was thinking that this would be a good addition to the metadata of each user’s profile and may denote making a separate field to do this. An administrative review could compile this information and display it for us. Just a thought ... Haiku

I have blood type A negative. Family history is rather sketchy as there was infidelity during the 40’s; maternal grandfather was illegitimate and no one knows anything about the father. Maternal GM is Irish, my paternal side is Polish but not much else known due to divorce. My limited research shows both of these ethnicities to be predominantly type O. Waiting to hear from my Mom as to her blood type. Are there any threads or transcripts discussing this topic? Thanks in advance for any help!

Back
Top Bottom