Rice Milk (Gluten and Sugar Free)

Mikey

The Living Force
Since I like Rice Milk very much, but it is very expensive here (costs about 1.6 EUR per liter), I decided to make it myself. I researched a bit in the net, and came up with the following recipe, which is very easy, fast and inexpensive. For 1 Liter Rice Milk:

1) Cook 75 g Brown Rice in 250 ml pure water for about 15-20 minutes until it is soaked thoroughly and soft. (You may want to wash the rice beforehand)
2) Remove from stove, add another 250 ml pure water, fill it into a blender, and blend intensively (about 1 minute, I do it with a hand-held blender)
3) Add another 500 ml pure water, until it has the desired consistency.
4) Strain the milk through a very fine sieve (I use a clean kitchen towel with rough enough fabric, and wring the rice milk through it with force)
5) Rice Milk from the shop tastes a bit sweet. That's because they break down the starch to sugars with help of enzymes. Since that is a bit over the top for simplicity's sake, just add one or two tablespoons of Xylitol.

You may want to try other rice sorts. But I like brown rice best. Have fun!

Hey Data,

that is great!!
Because sometimes I'm also a little bit saddened about the price and the buyable rice-milk has also some additives, like sunflower oil.

Anyway what I started to do is, to make up with spices, tomato paste the left over rice, buckwheat... water and then drink it, or add additionally some non-wheat flour for consistency.

Data said:

I might like to test it with wild rice, but it is also very expensive.

Data said:
Since I like Rice Milk very much, but it is very expensive here (costs about 1.6 EUR per liter), I decided to make it myself. I researched a bit in the net, and came up with the following recipe, which is very easy, fast and inexpensive. For 1 Liter Rice Milk:

What timing. I was just taking a pot of rice intended for rice milk off the stove.

My recipe differs a bit, and leads to really good pudding if you so desire. I cook the rice on low/medium heat for a couple of hours. It's OK if it is bubbling a bit, just not so hot that it wants to boil over. That's when I put it through the blender, then through a strainer. The strainer isn't necessary if you don't mind bits of rice hulls in your milk.

To get the rice goop through the strainer, I sort of stir it in the strainer with a wooden spoon. Eventually it makes it through, leaving behind the crunchier bits, which make a really good cereal.

Once you have the strained rice goop, you have two choices: 1) you can water it down and flavor it for rice milk, or you can add flavoring to it as it is for pudding. I like adding powdered cacao (pure chocolate), some vanilla, salt and a sweetener (raw sugar, agave, xylitol).

Once it's chilled, it rarely lasts more than about 10 minutes around here.

Wow thanks you all! I make Bastami rice all of the time (I've got one of those great big burlap bags of it), do you think it would make a good milk? I might give it a try.

Dawn said:
Wow thanks you all! I make Bastami rice all of the time (I've got one of those great big burlap bags of it), do you think it would make a good milk? I might give it a try.

I will definitively be an excellent rice milk. To my taste, Basmati rice milk is one the best rice milk. So delicious !!!

Bohort said:
Dawn said:

I will definitively be an excellent rice milk. To my taste, Basmati rice milk is one the best rice milk. So delicious !!!

Make sure that it's always whole rice, though. It contains much more nutrients and it stimulates the production of gluthathione.

http://www.amazines.com/Health/article_detail.cfm/1150538?articleid=1150538

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=128

Yum! Sounds great! I love the way it smells cooking. The pudding sounds wonderful too.

And people think there are no yummy health foods. ;)

Thanks for the links Ailén, good reads!

Bohort said:
Dawn said:

Data said:

1) Cook 75 g Brown Rice in 250 ml pure water for about 15-20 minutes until it is soaked thoroughly and soft. (You may want to wash the rice beforehand)
2) Remove from stove, add another 250 ml pure water, fill it into a blender, and blend intensively (about 1 minute, I do it with a hand-held blender)
3) Add another 500 ml pure water, until it has the desired consistency.
4) Strain the milk through a very fine sieve (I use a clean kitchen towel with rough enough fabric, and wring the rice milk through it with force)
5) Rice Milk from the shop tastes a bit sweet. That's because they break down the starch to sugars with help of enzymes. Since that is a bit over the top for simplicity's sake, just add one or two tablespoons of Xylitol.

Thanks, what good timing for this! I was just thinking about switching to use rice milk in our (detox)shakes, but was hesitating due to the extra cost. A question about cooking: Should one cook the rice as indicated on the package? I mean the brown rice we use must be cooked ca 35min to be ready for eating. Also, would a coffee filter do for the straining, what do you think?

Aragorn said:
Thanks, what good timing for this! I was just thinking about switching to use rice milk in our (detox)shakes, but was hesitating due to the extra cost. A question about cooking: Should one cook the rice as indicated on the package? I mean the brown rice we use must be cooked ca 35min to be ready for eating. Also, would a coffee filter do for the straining, what do you think?

I encourage you to experiment a bit. If you cook too long, the valuable nutrients of the rice might decompose. If you cook too short, the blending of the rice might not be so effective.

I don't think a coffee filter would work, since the solid parts and the 'mash' of the raw milk will probably clog the fine fabric immediately. But try it, playing around is fun! Try a clean kitchen towel, with thin and coarse fabric, enclose the milk in it and wring it. I don't like coffee filters, since I can even taste the substances they release -- certainly not healthy!

After straining the milk I heat it up once again to eliminate all possible bacteria and fungi (is this an illusion?), pour it into jam jars and put it into the fridge. Shake before usage! ;)

Well I did it! Oh and for me, coffee filters did Not work. Just clogged it up immediately and made a bit of a mess...
I decided not to strain it, so it became more of a custard, which doesn't bother me in the least. lol

I don't have a food processor either, so I used a blender on the setting 'liquefy.' I'm going to have to experiment with some different flavors too.

Maybe honey? Can't remember now if that is a no no or not right off the top of my head. Just plain is perfectly tolerable to me as well, although the girls said, "hey this tastes just like rice." (They get their intelligence from me hahaha).

Data said:
Aragorn said:

I encourage you to experiment a bit. If you cook too long, the valuable nutrients of the rice might decompose. If you cook too short, the blending of the rice might not be so effective.

I don't think a coffee filter would work, since the solid parts and the 'mash' of the raw milk will probably clog the fine fabric immediately. But try it, playing around is fun! Try a clean kitchen towel, with thin and coarse fabric, enclose the milk in it and wring it. I don't like coffee filters, since I can even taste the substances they release -- certainly not healthy!

After straining the milk I heat it up once again to eliminate all possible bacteria and fungi (is this an illusion?), pour it into jam jars and put it into the fridge. Shake before usage! ;)

Burma Jones said:
Data said:

What timing. I was just taking a pot of rice intended for rice milk off the stove.

My recipe differs a bit, and leads to really good pudding if you so desire. I cook the rice on low/medium heat for a couple of hours. It's OK if it is bubbling a bit, just not so hot that it wants to boil over. That's when I put it through the blender, then through a strainer. The strainer isn't necessary if you don't mind bits of rice hulls in your milk.

To get the rice goop through the strainer, I sort of stir it in the strainer with a wooden spoon. Eventually it makes it through, leaving behind the crunchier bits, which make a really good cereal.

Once you have the strained rice goop, you have two choices: 1) you can water it down and flavor it for rice milk, or you can add flavoring to it as it is for pudding. I like adding powdered cacao (pure chocolate), some vanilla, salt and a sweetener (raw sugar, agave, xylitol).

Once it's chilled, it rarely lasts more than about 10 minutes around here.

Initially I tried to make it by myself and I didn't like the taste I got and felt discouraged with the amount of time it takes to make and clean up so I end up buying from trader joe's . Though I didn't like one of the ingradient - suflower oil or canola oil, I ended up using it. recently I found some rice makers on amazon. some looks very promising. does the most of chores by it selves.

though it is little bit pricey this one has the best review. some day I will buy. for my consumption rate, it takes 1.5 yrs to balance out the price, but I can avoid doubt ful ingradients. that way it is priceless.
_http://www.amazon.com/NEW-2009-Soymilk-Maker-SoyQuick/dp/B001EUA0V4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1262247814&sr=8-1

Hehe, I've been looking into a milk maker too. That's the model I've been looking at. The only thing that they don't tell you is the materials. I don't want to use something with aluminum or nonstick coatings. The website is _soymilkquick.com. I was thinking about emailing them what metal they use to make it. I haven't been making rice milk lately because it's kind of time consuming, so I think this device would be worth it.

Edit: Oops, looking at their site more extensively, I found out that it's made out of stainless steel. :P See _http://www.soymilkquick.com/soy-milk-maker.php

Data said:

FWIW and for maybe other slow-thinking people like me:

It's not an good idea to use a towel that has been washed in a washing mashine with ordinary cleaner. I thought about it before, so I rinsed the towel in advance, but it didn't help and well the rice milk tasted like the towel. :cry:

But before I realized that, I did make another test and it is possible to cook Buckwheat Crepes and Pancakes with it :).

Cheesecloth is also a great way to filter out the solids from the liquids when making the milk.

Back
Top Bottom