RIP Robin Williams

Dead Poet's Society should be the only movie I liked it. I believe that most of the movies in which he starred were bad, but he has helped to they not be awful. I really think that was a great person and transmitted goodness (and perhaps that's why he was used / manipulated by hollywood for superficial messages, of the type "create your reality believing strong", in films about great human dramas). It's a shame that he is gone.
Godspeed, Robin.

Like Laura, I feel that Rose7 described what I felt discovering this piece of news.
Rose7 said:
I did not react well at all to Robin William's passing. To me, there was something about him, that just being here, added more to this world. (...) It's almost like he exuded the purity of a child. (...) This is the first time I have ever felt this way with the passing of a celebrity; except for Diana.
First time without exception for me. I cried, several times. Like a big soul passing away... :cry:

Beyond his incredible energy and sense of humor, I can see in his eyes so deep compassion and love for the others.
According to many witnesses, he was a real gentle-man, paying attention to "no-name people" while being a star.

Sometimes I've wondered why such a sensitive guy was supporting the army - like in Good morning Vietnam !, but in reality. But today I realize he was maybe supporting the soldiers, as people who risk their lives for others (well... that's the theory/dogma), not the army itself.

And about his movies, one which is dear to my heart (beyond Dead poets society) is Good Will Hunting. His role of a so humane psychotherapist brought him two awards (Best supporting actor / Outstanding performance in a supporting role).

Thank you Robin for having been who you was !

PS : oh, should I mention that, after discovering he received lots of warm support, I still wonder if it's a real suicide or maybe the ritual sacrifice of an innocent "boy" by some psychopathic elites ? (Maybe I'm too Machiavellian here.)

About two months ago, I watched some Youtube vids on Robin. It seemed to me that his humour was inherent in who he was. Most of his comedy skits were falling-off-the-chair hilarious. When I watched Dead Poets, it seemed that he wasn't acting but simply being the essence of himself, a very sensitive, generous, and caring human being.
Go to the light Robin, and, hopefully, I'll see you later. :bye:

I once saw Robin Williams in the Maui Airport in 1987. When I looked at him, he looked at me, and he smiled. I will never forget that sweet smile. :)

Greg Palast wrote an article about him recently. He makes some good points.

_http://www.gregpalast.com/robin-williams-and-the-happiness-industry/

Anthony said:
Greg Palast wrote an article about him recently. He makes some good points.

_http://www.gregpalast.com/robin-williams-and-the-happiness-industry/

I think the author of this article has a definite point about the happy pill push here in the states. Really quite maddening in so many ways. I thought the author effectively described it when he said: 'Our culture fears and despises unhappiness. We pathologize unhappiness; we conflate it with a disease, "depression."'

For certain reasons though, I was disturbed by the author's mention of Charles Bukowski. From what I've read about Bukowski and of his work, he was an alcoholic who didn't seem to struggle with the 'disease' as much as revel in it. Others may disagree but that is the sense that I get from reading some of his work.

Bastian said:
Beyond his incredible energy and sense of humor, I can see in his eyes so deep compassion and love for the others.

I noticed this as well, also a sensitivity in Robin Williams eyes, while watching The Fisher King and a few clips of Good Will Hunting several days ago. He had such a powerful presence about him, especially in his more serious roles and he will be missed.

I enjoyed a couple of his movies in my life and although I was never particularly fond of him I only recently have begun to appreciate this man. It's sad that he is gone.

Someone posted this "Little known Robin Williams" story on facebook, and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

from: http://brianlord.org/2014/08/12/a-little-known-robin-williams-story/

A LITTLE KNOWN ROBIN WILLIAMS STORY

Years ago I learned a very cool thing about Robin Williams, and I couldn’t watch a movie of his afterward without thinking of it. I never actually booked Robin Williams for an event, but I came close enough that his office sent over his rider. For those outside of the entertainment industry, a rider lists out an artist’s specific personal and technical needs for hosting them for an event- anything from bottled water and their green room to sound and lighting requirements. You can learn a lot about a person from their rider. This is where rocks bands list their requirement for green M&Ms (which is actually a surprisingly smart thing to do). This is also where a famous environmentalist requires a large gas-guzzling private jet to fly to the event city, but then requires an electric or hybrid car to take said environmentalist to the event venue when in view of the public.

When I got Robin Williams’ rider, I was very surprised by what I found. He actually had a requirement that for every single event or film he did, the company hiring him also had to hire a certain number of homeless people and put them to work. I never watched a Robin Williams movie the same way after that. I’m sure that on his own time and with his own money, he was working with these people in need, but he’d also decided to use his clout as an entertainer to make sure that production companies and event planners also learned the value of giving people a chance to work their way back. I wonder how many production companies continued the practice into their next non-Robin Williams project, as well as how many people got a chance at a job and the pride of earning an income, even temporarily, from his actions. He was a great multiplier of his impact. Let’s hope that impact lives on without him. Thanks, Robin Williams- not just for laughs, but also for a cool example.

Thanks for posting that, TM. I liked him, but never really put much thought into it. What's strange though, is that when I heard he died, for whatever reason, I felt as if the world lost someone really unique (in a good way). I can't really put my finger on why exactly, but maybe there was something about him that many resonate with on a level that goes deeper than his comedic presence. Maybe it was his childlike sense of wonder that connected with the small child in all of us. Or maybe I'm just imagining that, dunno.

truth seeker said:
Thanks for posting that, TM. I liked him, but never really put much thought into it. What's strange though, is that when I heard he died, for whatever reason, I felt as if the world lost someone really unique (in a good way). I can't really put my finger on why exactly, but maybe there was something about him that many resonate with on a level that goes deeper than his comedic presence. Maybe it was his childlike sense of wonder that connected with the small child in all of us. Or maybe I'm just imagining that, dunno.

I felt the same. There was a deep sense of sorrow, that this was just another marker (just like the death of Princess Diana), and that the world just lost something precious. Maybe on some level many understood what it meant, that this world has become a place where childhood innocence and wonder can't survive.

truth seeker said:
I can't really put my finger on why exactly, but maybe there was something about him that many resonate with on a level that goes deeper than his comedic presence. Maybe it was his childlike sense of wonder that connected with the small child in all of us. Or maybe I'm just imagining that, dunno.
I don't think you're imagining that, I can feel too that his "inner child" was quite present in him (or mine is resonating with him).
That's probably why he was chosen to play Peter Pan... (in Hook by S. Spielberg)

Keit said:
truth seeker said:

I felt the same. There was a deep sense of sorrow, that this was just another marker (just like the death of Princess Diana), and that the world just lost something precious. Maybe on some level many understood what it meant, that this world has become a place where childhood innocence and wonder can't survive.

You hit the nail on the head for how I felt about the news. A real loss.

Thanks everyone for posting so many great things about Robin. :)

With Robin, it wasn't his comedy per se that made me think he was special. It was his unbridled enthusiasm and joy that he constantly shared with others without any thought of himself and not asking anything in return. Just looking into clear his blue eyes, I could see a sense of wonder, childlike innocence, mischievousness and love. It was almost like he was put on this earth to spread love and joy to others and his taking his life says a lot of what the state of the world is right now. It is a sad state of affairs that a being like Robin Williams would want to leave this place.

I had this tab still open. I didn't realize the impact that Robin Williams had on everyone. I didn't have a big reaction and kind of passed off the news of his death, focusing more on other global current events. But I read some of the articles and his videos and realized that he was an important person in our culture. I recall seeing his movies as a child: Aladdin, Jumanji, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jack, and Flubber. It is indeed sad that such a person was troubled in the horrible society we live in. Rest in peace Robin and thanks for the laughs.

"Boulevard" is a drama that premiered 2 months ago at the Tribeca Film Festival. In the film, Williams interprets the 60-year-old on the brink of depression. Generally unhappy.

The film was directed by Dito Montiel and critics compare him to some of the best films of Williams.
video:
https://youtu.be/HCdUubr70i8

RIP Robin Williams

Back
Top Bottom