Role of Russia

clerck de bonk said:
Laura said:
Holy frijoles! That's AWESOME!

Indeed. The "give me back my pen"-part was truly classic :lol:

Thanks, Keit! I also remember this episode. :thup:

It reminds me of another similar one: in 2006, Putin took a pen and drew the line on the map indicating that the Siberian part of the new oil pipeline will be located much farther to the North from the unique Russian Lake Baikal - the largest and the deepest in the world and containing 20 percent of the world's unfrozen surface fresh water.

850027_20060426183550.gif

At the live conference, Russian scientist Nikolai Laverov asked Putin to do this in order to protect the lake from possible ecological harm. He asked to locate the pipeline 40 km away from the lake (the oil company was planning to place it just 800 m away from the lake).

Putin asked the head of Transoil company Semion Vinestock: "Is there a technical, a technological possibility to move it northwards?"

Vinestock: "You've actually puzzled me, because.."

Putin: "Well, since you are puzzled, it means that there is such possibility. Otherwise you would say no."

He came up to the map and drew the line ~100-200 km to the North. No one objected. :)

Here is the Russian version of this episode (couldn't find any English one) . The said part starts somewhere at 06:30.

Speaking of restructuring...just saw a tweet on a #Putin channel, where one of the anti-Putin tweeters asked about this link, where Putin signed a decree about dismissing many from the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation. Here's the translation.

And, apparently, it's only part of the picture. Apparently, Putin used the opportunity of all the recent events to do country-wide restructurisation of law enforcement forces, moving some personnel and laying off others.

Here's the list of recent news on the topic in Russian. The summary as follows:

People in uniform are starting to redraw the map of the country. Large-scale relocation of personnel, prompted by the events in Ukraine and the emergence of two new entities affected almost all regions. Heads of key law enforcement agencies are changing at an alarming rate. Perturbations have already experienced Chelyabinsk Region, Yamal, Perm. A few days ago was the turn of Tyumen, Kurgan. Prepare for the personnel reshuffle in other regions. What effect will the global realignment of power clans have - will soon see.

clerck de bonk said:
Laura said:

Indeed. The "give me back my pen"-part was truly classic :lol:
Damn! I nearly fell off my chair laughing! He was taking names and kicking butt. Not a good guy to mess with!

Saša said:
Laura said:
Keit said:
Keit said:
Notice how he isn't ashamed to sack useless and corrupt governors, how he demands to be informed about everything. He simply knows with whom he is dealing with.

Coincidentally, just saw this video on FB. Take a look:

https://youtu.be/VjrlTMvirVo

1:25 "Give me back my pen." :rotfl:

This is really awesome!
Thanks Keit for this video. :flowers:

Thanks for the awesome video. No nonsense attempt at fixing problems.

I showed it to my husband thinking it might spark a thought - he is interested in politicians - however his comment was that these powerful people had to do as they were told because otherwise Putin would "have them killed".

I sighed and didn't say anything - I just don't know how to constructively answer comments like this. But a part of me - despite high scepticism - wonders if it could be true.

Haha - re "give me back my pen" video of Putin - that's a good one, Keit. :lol:

I particularly enjoyed how he remains calm throughout the whole thing - and just gets the job done. Obviously, he knows who he is dealing with - and how slithery they are, he is not afraid to call a spade a spade. Little wonder Putin is scary to the West...

Let's not over-glorify though. It is quite clear he is aware of the power of propaganda. This is being done in front of cameras and a whole audience watching. He is likely to receive adoration of his people and to send shockwaves through the business circles.

By the way - that billionaire stealing his pen is very telling - I always look out for lighter and pen thieves...

adam7117 said:
Haha - re "give me back my pen" video of Putin - that's a good one, Keit. :lol:

I particularly enjoyed how he remains calm throughout the whole thing - and just gets the job done. Obviously, he knows who he is dealing with - and how slithery they are, he is not afraid to call a spade a spade. Little wonder Putin is scary to the West...

Let's not over-glorify though. It is quite clear he is aware of the power of propaganda. This is being done in front of cameras and a whole audience watching. He is likely to receive adoration of his people and to send shockwaves through the business circles.

By the way - that billionaire stealing his pen is very telling - I always look out for lighter and pen thieves...

That was a great way to start the day for me! His calmness must be quite unsettling to regular crooks & pathological types. But I don't think anyone here's over-glorifying him IMO. Who else with Putin's power & gravitas is alive & sticking it to the fake human brigade? Most of the "top dogs" have been "dealt with" (like Chavez & Gaddafi) in more ways than one. He's turned Russia around in a short space of time with all the negative propaganda against him - from the off. What other worldly statesman has a feeling for the psychological realities & can go ahead with a definite plan of action to at least mitigate the damage of top-level pathologicals? I like how the press are with him en masse when he does these things in the videos so far posted on the forum. Partly for show/effect, but also with an end product. Intelligent, bold, caring, calculating (in a good way) & damn effective, sure I'll sing his praises; as I did with his fallen comrades who refused to be bullied (standing up for those countrymen & women who barely could) & paid the ultimate price.

Just one more thing, & this isn't a criticism. How about say.... Laura? How many people with "baked noodles" have come to the forum with their pre-conceived notions, been called on it & then start with all the "cult" accusations - that we're glorifying her & her work. Well if someone speaks truth consistently & backs it up with with definitive proof, encourages others to do the necessary legwork to arrive at such & results are seen & felt... that person rightly deserves praise. To these types of people praise is no biggie, getting credit where it's due is more meaningful. When was the last time L got the proper credit for the decades-long graft? (hard work) Apart from those in the know whose lives have changed from the work. I'd say there's similarities for Mr Putin & his country. Perfect people? No. STO nope. "Just" humans with empathy & (awakened) conscience doing what comes naturally, which still requires a frightening amount of work to yield results... for themselves & others.

Added:

Yeah that pen thing was funny, it reminds me of me! "Oi, pen... (wiggles fingers hurriedly) NOW! I swear people like that businessman think everyone must be stupid. Putin:"Did you sign it?" Businessman: "yes." Putin: I don't see your signature... come & sign it." That guy looked like the headmaster called him out. Kinda dumb to lie to Putin in front of the cameras mate, just saying....

Just a couple of images of today's Russia.

Here is Grozny City, Chechnya (which was totally ruined in the 90s).

turizm-chechnya.jpg

This is the new bridge in Vladivistok (Russian Far East).

0_7d67b_183363f7_XXXL.jpg

This is Sochi 2014 (Black Sea).

3jEvt_H5COI.jpg

This is the new space port Vostochny: under construction (Amur region).

8_7f2c98b0.jpg

Ascien said:
Yeah that pen thing was funny, it reminds me of me! "Oi, pen... (wiggles fingers hurriedly) NOW! I swear people like that businessman think everyone must be stupid. Putin:"Did you sign it?" Businessman: "yes." Putin: I don't see your signature... come & sign it." That guy looked like the headmaster called him out. Kinda dumb to lie to Putin in front of the cameras mate, just saying....

Yeah, that was what really cracked me up: the guy just lying to his face and Putin calling him out on it!

I even wonder if the presence of the camera wasn't more to record the event for the sake of ensuring compliance on the part of those oligarchs? That way, they couldn't go out and about and tell lies about the meeting. I expect he has a LOT of video footage about similar things just for insurance.

Laura said:
I even wonder if the presence of the camera wasn't more to record the event for the sake of ensuring compliance on the part of those oligarchs? That way, they couldn't go out and about and tell lies about the meeting. I expect he has a LOT of video footage about similar things just for insurance.

Well, what I noticed, that when it comes to oil and gas companies that are partially owned by the Russian government (and maybe other companies as well, don't know), from time to time, especially before big projects Putin organizes reporting events on the TV, where he sits and directors of all the regions and districts report to him. If they can't be present, then they report over the TV link. He asks clarifying questions if needed, etc. And it's all done online.

The same model is used by the Russian Emergencies Ministry during any emergency event or a disaster. The supervisor is sitting in the center and all the reports are being given to him over the phone, TV, etc, and it's all being done online. Maybe Siberia or others from Russia can describe this mode of operation better.

In any case, don't know if other countries do the same with companies, but when I first saw it, I thought that it was a good way of keeping everyone on their tows.

I really appreciate everyone's responses. It shows that it is an important issue.
Thanks Laura, I will watch the above video when I get to the computer with decent Internet connection (Using iPad mostly). If I understand correctly that is Michalkov's junior film - which apart from his father has discredited himself by making BS films for a big screen that failed in cinemas across the country (especially the latest ones, for instance - White sun of the Dessert 2 - basically a parody of the soviet classic movie admired by everyone). During the last elections he was a confide of Putin and persuading the artistic community to vote for him. Those who stood against - were repressed in show business arena. He is the one who decides which film is going to get a budget money. Just for the fact.
Kniall - Yes, the country has indeed changed, but only from the "shop-front" (витрина). The oil/gas revenues led to the big expenditures for non-productive, non-innovative projects which are supposed to be a locomotive of the economy. Yes we have a boom in housing building (the prices though are among the highest in the world (Moscow and all the major regional cities - миллионики) and unaffordable even to middle class- mortgage and credit rates are at best 15-20%). The problem is in the core of the dependent financial system. Russia keeps it's money abroad, for instance receiving approx. 2% from US obligations and in order to be able to fund our own economy Russia borrows back from the West at 7-10%. That is a hilarious situation, is it not?! Kudrin, former minister of finance, a friend of his, invented a ingenious system of withdrawing all the earned money to a special fund previously known as Stabfond (which is kept in the western assets). It is now divided in 2, but this principle has not changed. (For instance it lost more than 100 billion dollars in 2008 when Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac funds collapsed). In a normal situation he would be fired, sued and put to prison for such a sabotage. But no, he received a promotion to vice-premier and the international prize The minster of finance of the Year!).
Also they extensively and mostly build shopping and leisure centers. (I visited quite an amount of cities that used to be industrial giants in Central and South Russia). Most factories are now closed and used as shops, warehouses and nightclubs. People can hardly find a job, especially 40+ working class that learned how to create, produce high tech products). Like former minister of education Fursenko and now an aide to Putin who ruined the soviet based (was one of the best in the world) education system once said We don't need a man of CREATION, we need a CONSUMER of the foreign made products! (http://www.odnako.org/blogs/ideal-fursenko-v-debryah-amazonki-o-raznice-mezhdu-kvalificirovannimi-potrebitelyami-i-lyudmi/) . To do that he destroyed special technical education called shortly PTU's, so now we have only managers, sellers, lawyers, bankers, economists. Other professions such as scientists, engineers are not needed and appreciated by the students anymore. So basically russia is heading to a consumer's "heaven". Brilliant!
Yes, according to some stats we hold an 8th place. But that result mostly depends on resources revenue. When the price for oil was around 10 dollars a barrel the whole budget of the country was the size of New York's - 40 billion dollars. Now it is around 400 billion in dollars. In recent years the price was around 100 on average, so very roughly it is exactly 10 times difference correlation.

Kate - yes you are correct about the stealing mentality. IMO it is the result of having small salaries and a lack of confidence in tomorrow. In USSR people earned on average similar not a big salaries, but it was enough for decent living. Homes, education, medic care were provided free by the government. The level of corruption then was much much lower and mostly in form of "presents" like a box of chocolate to a doctor.
And now people are "encouraged" to steal, because they are looking at the bureaucrats who steal the wealth of ordinary people and get no punishment.
Concerning governors(appointed by president), deputats/members of Duma, mayors and even small clerk in police, customs - they ALL pay money to get a mandate. And in order to compensate-they start stealing heavily and of course sharing (откатывают наверх) with the officials who appointed them. It is a vicious circle. Along the way I understand that the greed, as Cs said - is illness and a natural quality of people in our STS reality.

The "pen scene" was an obvious staged Pikalevo event in the light of 2008 crisis. That oligarch named Deripaska - was publicly beaten (Politic technology and PR trick to raise Putin's rating which was falling then). BUT shortly after his company received budget money (taxpayers money) to be bailed out of crisis (PRIVATE banks and companies received billions of unrefundable! credits). And after the time passed that Pikalevo plant is still on the verge of closure http://lenta.ru/news/2014/01/20/pikalevo
Concerning Siberia's example of pipeline - the same example of PR, to show that he is in charge. Environmental aspect in another case was not an issue. In 2008 or the beginning of 09 Deripaska owned Baikalskiy Pulp and paper Mills plant (it is totally hazardous to unique Baikal lake) was allowed PERSONALLY by Putin to function even after the local government tried to close it down because of the dramatic pollution effects on the lake. The plant had to invest a huge sum into "cleaning/filter" equipment...BUT that would inflict big profit loss. Deripaska of course did not want to loose that money and local government decision was overridden. Eventually it closed only in 2013.

Also Siberia, your pictured examples:
Groznyi - good example of restoration after the war. But consider that Chechnya is living on big money issued from the Center producing no added value itself apart from oil.
Vladivostok bridge to the Rysskiy island was build for 2012 APEC meeting with a lot of technical drawbacks and the problem with him and the roads breaking around the place already started to appear (in the Internet there were already reports on those). By the way for that international forum preparation they spent/stole around 25 billion bucks on building the infrastructure from nill. Do we not have other problems in that region to invest in? Good managerial decisions all the way.
Sochi - again total waste of money. I was there on the eve of the Olympics-the only infrastructure build was related solely to the games. The Adler, Sochi area is still in soviet era condition. But yes, we can boast with the most expensive road from airport to Krasnaya Polyana, central stadium, that infamous ski jump hill. But of course the "show" to keep people artificially happy costs a money.
Instead we could rebuild automotive, aerospace and all the contiguous high tech industries from scrap. As you know we still have good soviet developed airplanes that for " some reasons" are not purchased all the years by government owned companies such as Aeroflot. And now we have Dobrolet company precedent, which in case of further, I believe inevitable western sanctions (like in case of Iran - they forbid selling and servicing of Boeing/Airbus planes), will bring transporting of people and supplies in our country to a halt. Good policy.
Vostochnyi cosmodrome is a good enterprise, but it is slowly build with the corruption cases all the way (many reports of those in Internet).

Capitalists care only about profit as Marks said there is no such a crime that capitalist will not commit for the sake of 300% profit.

Dear all, I really hope that I am wrong with all that but as Jesus said judge not by words but by the deeds. And the facts, unfortunately, are not in the acting elite's favor.

Antony, if it's so bad in Russia under Putin, why not move to a better country (if you can find one). I'd provide plenty of links to refute much of what you're saying, but since that's already been done and didn't faze you one bit, I'm not going to bother.

I was born in Soviet Armenia, moved to U.S. when I was 8 and returned to Armenia in 2006 after living in U.S. for 31 years. Best decision I've made. Armenia is another of those rare places that after the Soviet collapse and the "dark and cold years" when nobody had basic utilities (or much of anything else), the country has come to a place where it's hard to imagine this could have happened without good intentions and high competence of those ruling in the last decade or more. There are some people like you here as well, but my stance on them is the same. Don't like it, go someplace you'll like better. There's corruption? You don't know what corruption is - go to the U.S. or EU to learn what real corruption is. I've seen it up close and personal in NYC and surrounding areas and all throughout the U.S. There's problems in Armenia? Sure, but everything's been moving in the right direction for the last 15 years or so (very few places in the world are). Plus most of the problems are created and/or exacerbated from outside - the "usual suspects."

One thing I don't understand is why the "West" can't copy what Putin and "his gang" is doing to be able to get the kind of popularity for their own politicians and "leaders?" With all the resources and PR firms, etc., etc., no politician in the "West" can come close to Putin's approval ratings in their wildest dreams, and also those who are satisfied with the direction their country is going in - and these reflect results by "Western" polling organizations in both their and Putin's/Russia's cases. Can't seem to explain this oddity, can you?

During Soviet times there were many cases where it was very difficult to leave the Soviet Union - it took my family nearly 8 years from the first rejection of application to leave. Now both Russians and Armenians could go anywhere anytime (if they're allowed by foreign countries, that is). That's what I call freedom.

Okey, guys, my 5 cent
You know, i'm not aware about politics situtaion in the world on the deep level. I see what's doing Putin , his behavior in the international political arena but what behind this? Yes, your told about better situation relatively EU, US, USSR, you'r right, there are more night fires on the streets , more shops, more services for consuming, okay. Nut why my father works on the fleet about 30 years, now he is 67 and he is still works and have pension about 350$ monthly but the cost of utilities is 300$ in winter. It's okay? I'm buy the good meat for 11$\kg, 10 eggs for 2,5$ and people buy bread for 1,3$ . It's normal? I don't think so. I'm rent the room for 400$ monthly and i think i'll never have my own flat because here i'm alone and i don't want to take a mortgage and 10 years to be a slave. Yes, my choices brought me there where I am.
As Laura told about it.
Here he's carrying a briefcase, so in this timeline he became a solitary business man, like a billionaire going out and raping and pillaging on Wall Street. He decided not to do that
:)

I want to say about whole peoples. You can have enough many if you're if you're in the government position or find all the time for career having forgotten about the life and having told "hello" to stresses!
The young families everywhere has credits and they're take seconde ones for paying first. What is the maternity capital? It's totally nothing in such conditions.
Really? I don't think that mr.Putin don't thinks much about commoners OSIT

ADD:
What's behind his-own-country and reputation? I don't know. Maybe i'm wrong

I was noticing a few of the Putin doubters on this thread, and a common point between them is the details one can use to nitpick at him. One thing I would ask them to keep in mind when trying to analyze this situation is that JFK could and has been nitpicked to death, but it is entirely impossible to deny the fact that he wrote a decree that outlined the withdrawal of American forces from Vietnam before it ever got to the point that LBJ and Nixon brought it to.

My point is that anyone who manages to make it to a role of political power in this world probably has various points in their history, or at least points about those supporting him, that one can use to choose to nullify what they are doing NOW. We have plenty of evidence to believe that Putin is a public face and strategic mind in an attempt to change the worldwide power structure and quite possibly in a positive way.

If I have any lingering doubts, they are more in line with the idea that true globalists are trying to control the process of the American dollar losing international reserve status. That is, they don't want their cattle pens to go up in a poof of nuclear smoke AND they want to have control over the new world. So if Putin and the pole he represents pull this sort of coup off, the challenge of preventing the "new boss same as the old boss" phenomenon from repeating itself will be every bit as intense as the current struggle.

Back
Top Bottom