Sense8

mocachapeau

Dagobah Resident
I just read a blurb about a show that should be coming out in the next year called Sense8. This was the plot line:

A group of people around the world are suddenly linked mentally, and must find a way to survive being hunted by those who see them as a threat to the world's order.

Sounds pretty interesting.

I'm curious about this one too. It was created by the Wachowski siblings (Matrix) and J.M. Straczynski (Babylon 5).

The whole first season will become available on Netflix on June 5th.

The first season is now up. I started to watch it and I have to say I am not disappointed. The story is slow but moving at a steady pace, character development is emphasized. I'm just slightly worried we'll get to the end of the first season without actually having much explanation as to the actual phenomenon that they are experiencing.

Nonetheless, good one to watch.

Did you say Wachowski's....Yea, I am definitely going to be checking this out. Thanks for posting this mocachapeau!

Watched 2 episodes today. I enjoyed them both but reading comments about homosexuality & stuff just gets my goat. There's quite a bit of sex in it, but because it's gay people it just HAS to be "sick" right?! Anyway there are one or two reviews on the web which are pretty fair (like I said, only seen two episodes but there's reviews of the whole season) & those comments which I've read which weren't along the lines of "why are we constantly being subjected to this gay bs?!", were about the first episode being boring. Which is funny cuz the Wachowski's clearly do not write for such viewers. Their first foray into tv land is very deliberate in the writing & fleshing out of characters lives. It's an ensemble character-driven story, much like "cloud atlas" was but the cutting between characters is slightly more frequent imo.

I won't give anything away but I thought it interesting that the FBI & homeland security are calling one (appears to be) pivotal character a terrorist LOL. Obviously Lana (I think that's her name) Wachowski's experiences are also a big part of the writing, seen heavily in the first two episodes. I for one thought it was good to see a show where other parts of society are represented rather than the usual exclusions. The pace definitely picked up around the first half of episode two with characters abilities emerging (a cop) & the themes running through it. There was a drug thing going on in episode one that seemed to suggest a way to enhance the experiences of the eight potential protagonists with some people chasing others for it. That might be interesting if it goes the way I imagine it. Birth & re-birth is an early theme too, also "knowing" things but doubting oneself (good ol' education & "common sense") & paying the price too. And there's a transgender woman who's mother is just nasty which got me emotional too. I think the mother's response is indicative of the responses that are to come within the show... which will be tough to watch - cruelty, intolerance, ignorance & stupidity, narcissism etc. But yeah, I think forum members will find it good with all that is being studied & discussed here. :)

mocachapeau said:
This was the plot line:

A group of people around the world are suddenly linked mentally, and must find a way to survive being hunted by those who see them as a threat to the world's order.

Sounds like "They live".

'I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum'.

;D

I'll be having a look.

So far I've watched 10 episodes out of 12 and I was really moved by Sense8. I'll most likely watch the other two tomorrow, and after that I will talk more about my thoughts on this. I've read somewhere that they are planning 5 seasons, so I can only hope it will work out, because I don't think I've ever watched this kind of television before. Amazing experience.

This is what co-creator J. Michael Straczynski said about the concept behind the series:

"We started out at one point talking about how evolution involves creating ever greater circles of empathy: You belong to your family, then you belong to your tribe, then two tribes link up and now you have empathy for your people on this side of the river, and you’re against the people on the other side of the river... on and on through villages, cities, states and nations... So what if a more literal form of empathy could be triggered in eight individuals around the planet... who suddenly became mentally aware of each other, able to communicate as directly as if they were in the same room. How would they react? What would they do? ... What does it mean? And what would the world think about people with this ability? Would they embrace it, or hunt them down...? It would give us a perfect platform to do a show that was loaded with action, big ideas, some amazing stunts that no one’s done before, and play to a planetary audience."

*** Spoiler ***

The most moving moment for me was in the 5th episode when they were all singing the "What's going on?" song. When the Indian woman suddenly appeared in front of the German guy and they just went along with it, sang and had fun. It felt similar to what the Wave or change in reality would be like when people start experiencing unexplainable things or gain new abilities.

I agree, the show is quite good. The thing that strikes me the most is how the members of "the cluster" are able to help each other by sharing skills and knowledge, especially in desperate moments when it seems all hope is lost.

Hmm, it's just the streaming Netflix you can get it with, not the DVDs, right? Unfortunately I can't stream, and thought they might have it on DVD, too, but it doesn't seem so.

Reminds me that the C's said when asked what the Wave is composed of : emotive sensate (Sense8). Wonder if the Wachovskis somehow know.

M.T.

Yeah I think it's safe to say the Watchowski's read a lot of esoteric stuff, possibly even this site, and Sense8 is more exploration along those lines.

Interesting premise, sharp writing, good acting (and strong direction), but...

It certainly had compelling moments, but the focus on sex (gay or straight, I don't care) took you out of the story I thought. It was provocative for the sake of it, taking advantage of Netflix's lack of a ratings system.

Still, I'll watch season 2 to see where it goes!

axj said:
*** Spoiler ***

The most moving moment for me was in the 5th episode when they were all singing the "What's going on?" song. When the Indian woman suddenly appeared in front of the German guy and they just went along with it, sang and had fun. It felt similar to what the Wave or change in reality would be like when people start experiencing unexplainable things or gain new abilities.

Hmm, i assumed that guy was Russian.
I have been watching this series due to these postings, and am enjoying it. There is an awful lot of sex though, and mainly gay sex in particular. 20 years ago i would have been disgusted, but it really doesnt bother me anymore. Gay or straight it does seem excessive, and unneccessary. I have noticed that these people seem to be highly emotional. I think perhaps the Waschkowskis are emotionally centered people. Very interesting series though.

Just watched the entire season, and so far I am having a mixed feeling about it, whereas the "cluster" concept is quite fascinating - how they can feel what the others feel, how they can "see" what the others are seeing, how they are 8 (octave?) and the story is quite good, I think that the Wachowskis had to make some sex concessions to Netflix. I think this is true because I've seen this sex overdoing in other Netflix series and in the regular Wachowski's movies you don't get to see this much.

Navigator said:
I think that the Wachowskis had to make some sex concessions to Netflix. I think this is true because I've seen this sex overdoing in other Netflix series and in the regular Wachowski's movies you don't get to see this much.

I think so too, maybe similar to what happened to Game Of Thrones and HBO, where the sex scenes are over the top and unnecessary. I've seen only 4 episodes so far, and it looks quite interesting. I definitely think the Wachowski read this forum!

Back
Top Bottom