server Issues / Can't access SOTT

Sott.net still down here :(

Thanks for the updates folks. Yes, it sure seems like the recent editorial line has ruffled some feathers (or irritated some lizard scales). Everywhere you look these days, the psychopathic masks are slipping, their true nature revealing itself, and another significant stage of the battle begins. The recent extreme weather and intensifying earth changes are reflecting these changes I feel.

Thanks for all your efforts!!! This may be a timely lesson in 'non-anticipation', by not taking for granted access to a valuable resource such as sott, and to get even more creative in order to spread the word. The gloves are off now........ bring it on.

From what I gathered in this thread, the "hacker" was collocated in the same data center. This can really only mean one of two things:

• SoTT servers are on a shared "front-side" subnet. This is pretty typical for hosting/service providers because it saves IP addresses and makes provisioning new customers easier. Basically a large network is assigned and then shared amongst multiple customers, and each customer is told what public IP addresses they can use. If the entire network is managed by the provider, there is practically no risk to other customers. But if you allow Customer A to have control of equipment directly connected into this front-side network, and give them admin access to the server or firewall, there is nothing stopping them from using IP addresses from Customer B. Either intentionally or mistakenly.
  • They were able to participate in a routing session with FDC (service provider) and have FDC send SoTT IP addresses to them. Not an easy thing to do, usually.

Many of the "it's up, it's down" posts in this thread, plus what m and Mr. Scottie said point to the first thing. The ASUS page people were seeing was likely the out-of-band (IPKVM) port of some other companies server that happened to assign the SoTT IP address to their IPKVM port.

For me, working in this business, the jury is still out on whether or not this was a directed attack or not (at least in a 3D sense). Don't underestimate the incompetence of either other companies hosting sites, or a service provider. The sort of people Scottie was complaining about, I have worked with people like that for years - it's hard to find honest and nice things to say about them, they cause so much headache at my job. One thing to consider, is a lot of these companies can't afford dedicated network admins. Their developer or system administrator is responsible for the whole she-bang. It's not their field of expertise, and they are in over their head. They wear 10 different hats at their company, and simple mistakes like this are pretty common. Throw in hosting provider staff that don't really care, a small customer like SoTT (ie, doesn't have visibility with the VP staff at FDC) and you can easily get the situation going on right now. Do you have an Account Rep, have you tried escalating with them?

I actually work for a company that has a data center at one of the same sites FDC is at. I haven't worked with any of their tech or engineering staff, but the people I have interacted with have been less then impressive.

Obviously I don't have the whole story, but from what I have read, this sounds like a combination of incompetence factors on the part of this other customer and the hosting provider.

I am happy to offer any assistance if you think I could be helpful in resolving this. I have more than a decade dealing with these specific sorts of companies and situations (ISP/telecomm/hosting).

Today something strange happened: in my mobile phone I saw that someone from Mali phoned me. I don't know what this means and I don't know what to do. Very strange and maybe linked with all of this, our critic of Israel and the PTB and what is happening at SOTT. I erased the number but this I don't like it at all.

SOTT's down for me as well (donation screen). Best of strength to everyone working on the problem! Take care of yourselves, too! :hug2:

My biggest nightmare is to not being able to read sott daily. I get a little anxious whenever I see 'technical error' page displayed.
Bon courage guys.

It is just now back up for me.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the hosting company. Good luck to all of you working on this issue.

loreta said:
Today something strange happened: in my mobile phone I saw that someone from Mali phoned me. I don't know what this means and I don't know what to do. Very strange and maybe linked with all of this, our critic of Israel and the PTB and what is happening at SOTT. I erased the number but this I don't like it at all.

Did you answer the phone call? It sounds like this has you very worried, but it's probably unrelated.

Carl said:

Yep, here too, was down about half an hour ago though fwiw.

Carl said:
loreta said:

Did you answer the phone call? It sounds like this has you very worried, but it's probably unrelated.

I agree and wouldn’t worry about it, people dial wrong numbers all the time. Make a mental note of things like that when a string or pattern emerges, which can be an indicator to pay attention, but I’d say don’t invest any worry in it, conserve your energy.

Based on the info from the server people, it was deliberate stealing of the IP. And then, once it was solved, it has apparently been done again. But we'll wait for more word from Mr. Scott. As soon as he got up, he went to work on the problem. Thanks to m for being up during the night and at least managing to redirect away from the dreaded Asus screen.

Alada said:
Carl said:

Yes, it's up for me now as well. It came online sometime between 8:35 GMT and Carl's post at 8:45 GMT (if I've got the time conversion right).

HowToBe said:
Alada said:
Carl said:

Yes, it's up for me now as well. It came online sometime between 8:35 GMT and Carl's post at 8:45 GMT (if I've got the time conversion right).

Official return of Sott time was 10:49am - 9.49am GMT.

Congratulations for all your hard work. You are a fantastic team. How proud I am to know you.

For the "Mali call" I will follow your advise: I will not worry. Thanks. :)

Glad SOTT's back. Came on the forum to catch up, and say that this probably can't be just incompetence, right? And now I see that the forum Admin's opinion is that it is an unusual type of intentional attack. If you guys have any ideas to reduce or prevent recurrence, let us know if anything particular is needed and see what forum members can do to help.

After catching up on latest posts on the forum, I'll go catch up on SOTT. Thanks for your hard work, as always.

SeekinTruth said:
Glad SOTT's back. Came on the forum to catch up, and say that this probably can't be just incompetence, right? And now I see that the forum Admin's opinion is that it is an unusual type of intentional attack. If you guys have any ideas to reduce or prevent recurrence, let us know if anything particular is needed and see what forum members can do to help.

After catching up on latest posts on the forum, I'll go catch up on SOTT. Thanks for your hard work, as always.

My thoughts are that this is a little more than just disgruntled/disaffected hackers; it is targeted and deliberate and began as soon as we had launched our anti-propaganda program; the timing is just too coincidental.

I'm just wondering if it would be wise to change password yet again? - having just came across these latest developments after logging in recently.

Back
Top Bottom