Smoking is... good?

Looking good, Pashalis!

I had an eventful week with the tobacco. Last Saturday, I was going to be away for a day and I wanted to spray the plants with a soap/pepper solution, but I did it in the middle of a sunny day. Big mistake, the leaves got scalded by the sun. That weakened them considerably, especially the Burley. I had boiled the pepper solution for a while in case the peppers were carrying Tobacco Mosaic Virus, so I was worried that I might have spread that by not boiling enough. Turns out, though, that the new leaves were fine.

I also was having problems with yellowish leaves. I read that that might be due to Magnesium deficiency, so I sprayed them with a solution of a couple of tablespoons of Epsom Salts in a gallon of water and the plants responded immediately. So the next day I watered them with the Epsom Salts solution and the leaves are now a nice dark green. Magnesium really is the miracle mineral, not just for humans! Again, the lesson was to get a full soil test first!

We had a real heat wave this past week with temperatures reaching 97F (36C) two days in a row. That burned some of the leaf buds, especially on the Burley. The Virginias are now doing really well, not near as big as Pashalis's but the larger leaves are 8 inches long and they and the Smyrnas are adding leaves fast. The Burleys are recovering in the first plot where they have been in the ground for 20 days. The sources do say that it takes three weeks for transplants to become established. My second plot is 8 days behind, so they are still getting established.

I'll get some pictures up when I get the chance.

dant said:
Thanks for the advice! Sent you a PM

Dant PMd me about contacting the tobacco farmer for whole leaves. Dant suggested something along the lines of a buying club for forum members in the US who are interested in stocking up on whole leaves. The idea would be to take advantage of bulk discounts, either for ten pound lots, or even a bale (100lbs!). Don't know if anyone's interested. The good news is that at $12 an individual pound it's a good enough deal for people to buy individually. I also think even if people are interested that they sample the different varieties available to see what they like. But post here if you might be interested in such an arrangement, not necessarily right away. Who knows, if enough people start growing maybe a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) model might work.

The other issue about a buying club for people who are scattered all over the country is that the shipping costs would be a significant percentage of the cost, if one person accepts the big shipment, then ships individual orders to the others. Everything would be shipped twice.

Here are a few pictures from today of my tobacco plants that have been in the ground for 3 weeks.

Attachments

• Virginia Bright Leaf 6-24-12.JPG
    Virginia Bright Leaf 6-24-12.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Smyrna oriental 6-24-12 sm.jpg
    Smyrna oriental 6-24-12 sm.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Closeup of a Virginia 6-24-12 sm.jpg
    Closeup of a Virginia 6-24-12 sm.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 6
The first one here is of the newer plot where they have been in the ground for 10 days. The second picture is what the Virginias in the older plot looked like two weeks ago.

Attachments

• Burleys and Smyrna's in newer plot - 6-24-12 ten days after transplanting sm .jpg
    Burleys and Smyrna's in newer plot - 6-24-12 ten days after transplanting sm .jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Virginias 6-10-12 sm.jpg
    Virginias 6-10-12 sm.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 6
Mr. Premise said:
Looking good, Pashalis!

I had an eventful week with the tobacco. Last Saturday, I was going to be away for a day and I wanted to spray the plants with a soap/pepper solution, but I did it in the middle of a sunny day. Big mistake, the leaves got scalded by the sun. That weakened them considerably, especially the Burley. I had boiled the pepper solution for a while in case the peppers were carrying Tobacco Mosaic Virus, so I was worried that I might have spread that by not boiling enough. Turns out, though, that the new leaves were fine.

I also was having problems with yellowish leaves. I read that that might be due to Magnesium deficiency, so I sprayed them with a solution of a couple of tablespoons of Epsom Salts in a gallon of water and the plants responded immediately. So the next day I watered them with the Epsom Salts solution and the leaves are now a nice dark green. Magnesium really is the miracle mineral, not just for humans! Again, the lesson was to get a full soil test first!

We had a real heat wave this past week with temperatures reaching 97F (36C) two days in a row. That burned some of the leaf buds, especially on the Burley. The Virginias are now doing really well, not near as big as Pashalis's but the larger leaves are 8 inches long and they and the Smyrnas are adding leaves fast. The Burleys are recovering in the first plot where they have been in the ground for 20 days. The sources do say that it takes three weeks for transplants to become established. My second plot is 8 days behind, so they are still getting established.

I'll get some pictures up when I get the chance.

yep soil testing is important.
I wouldn't spray and fertilise them to much at the beginning they need time to adapt to the soil and air condition there.
I also had problems with yellow leaves on my plants outside at the beginning. it was probably because they were plantet out
to late (to big) and some roots were damaged. when I see leaves that are to small or dieing I cut them so that the big and healthy leaves
can develope better.

the first priority when the plants and leaves are still little at the beginning is the development of the root system.
the roots need a more or less sandy and airy soil. if it rains a lot and the soil get's dense you should hack arround the plants so
that the roots can develop good.the more it rains the more you should hack. another thing that is important for the roots to develope
is that the soil is not to wet. the roots should develope by searching for water.

I almost never water my plants outside. the soil down there is wet enough from the rain outside of the roof.
the plants inside in the pots have a much warmer and calm climate then those outside, you can see the big difference in pics.
I watered them from top down only twice at the beginning and from then on I only watered them down on the saucers :

p25061209074B7ML.jpg

here you can see the roots that come out at the bottom of the pots wich means that the soil in the pots is fully permeated by roots:
p250612090701WTAOJ.jpg

the reason why that happened so fast and good is because of the good quality of the soil and most importantly because I only water the sourcers down there so that the roots have to search for the wet soil down there. as you can see the soil on top is very dry.

I always wanted to ask this but keep forgetting... do you guys get a lot of stained teeth as a result of RYOs without a filter? I need to have my teeth scaled every 6 months or so due to the staining... any one solve this issue?

Guardian said:
Jason (ocean59) said:
I understand if you choose not to answer, but I must ask: Where can one acquire tobacco for this price?

Cherokee, NC
http://www.cherokeetobacco.com

The Cherokee have GREAT tobaccos, including organics, and it's cheap, but they lost a lawsuit about paying taxes long ago.

Thank you, Guardian, for sharing this info! :thup:

moksha said:
I always wanted to ask this but keep forgetting... do you guys get a lot of stained teeth as a result of RYOs without a filter? I need to have my teeth scaled every 6 months or so due to the staining... any one solve this issue?

I use a Sonicare vibrating toothbrush anytime the buildup becomes noticeable, with baking soda powder toothpaste, and it usually comes right off. They are pricey, but last forever, and really do a great job of teeth cleaning. Although for my situation, I think the stains come more from coffee abuse than the tobacco alone...so your mileage may vary. :)

Jason (ocean59) said:
moksha said:

I use a Sonicare vibrating toothbrush anytime the buildup becomes noticeable, with baking soda powder toothpaste, and it usually comes right off. They are pricey, but last forever, and really do a great job of teeth cleaning. Although for my situation, I think the stains come more from coffee abuse than the tobacco alone...so your mileage may vary. :)

I don't smoke RYO tobacco much anymore, just prerolled filtered cigarettes and a lot of pipe which also has a filter. But drinking black tea and cocoa can also stain teeth in combination with tobacco. I rinse my mouth with baking soda water and brush with baking soda or a tooth powder that has baking soda in it and it seems to do the trick.

Probably rinsing with baking soda after each meal and brushing once or twice a day with baking soda should take care of tobacco stains, as well.

Jason (ocean59) said:
Basque Seeker said:
Hi guys, I smoke with a smoking pipe. Normally I smoke one pipe per day, more or less, and I like "Indian Summer" pipe tobacco. Do you know it? I like its flavor and I guess it's "better" (I mean healthier) than common cigarettes

I have not heard of this tobacco before, but I am curious why you believe it to be healthier. What do you know about it so far?

In reality, I don´t know :-[ I just guess it can be healthier. But when I say healthier I mean healthier than the commonly known-by-me brands (Camel, Chesterfield, Lucky Strike, and so on). But you are right, I don't know, it is just a guess based upon the normal implications that may have the typical mass-production brands. But, anyway, I have to read the whole thread!!

moksha said:

I haven't drank any teas, coca, etc for many moons now, but yeah I do have the staining, I started brushing my teeth with salt and pure baking soda mixed in water, and the staining is steadily going down as verified by others around me.

Nice, cheap, & effective method, and whenever I find such a combo I use it fully.

bngenoh said:
I haven't drank any teas, coca, etc for many moons now, but yeah I do have the staining, I started brushing my teeth with salt and pure baking soda mixed in water, and the staining is steadily going down as verified by others around me.

Nice, cheap, & effective method, and whenever I find such a combo I use it fully.

Is salt and baking soda safe for the enamel? I'd like to try it but I have sensitive teeth and gums.

echo said:
Is salt and baking soda safe for the enamel? I'd like to try it but I have sensitive teeth and gums.

I have been doing it for ~2 weeks, and my teeth give the sensation of more strength:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_enamel said:
Tooth enamel, along with dentin, cementum, and dental pulp is one of the four major tissues that make up the tooth in vertebrates. It is the hardest and most highly mineralized substance in the human body.

I play with the concentrations of baking soda & salt. On the upper range of salt, it gives me the shivers all around, but it makes my tongue nice and red, so I do it every once in a while, high baking soda concentration will leave a white residue on my tongue in the morning when I wake up, so I do high baking soda, with varying salt.

I think with the high fat/low carb paleo diet (and supplements), the tooth enamel eventually gets as hard as it's supposed to be. For many, the lifetime of wrong diet "softens" the enamel and can be damaged by any abrasive powder. In any case, it's always good to make sure that the baking soda is totally wet and to use a soft brush (besides rinsing with water with baking soda dissolved, I actually use baking soda, and sometimes a little salt, to brush with). This way, chances of damaging the enamel are minimized.

According to Weston A. Price, when he was researching dental health in the 1930's, the traditional paleo hunter-gatherer type societies had perfect teeth. It seems, if humans have the right diet all their lives, their teeth are so strong that no cavities or any other problems manifest, which makes sense, since bones are the strongest tissues and teeth are supposed to be the strongest bones in the body.

I can't remember if this homemade toothpaste recipe has been posted elsewhere, but here it is:

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/04/rethinking-oral-health-care-a-homemade-toothpaste-recipe-for-tooth-remineralization.html

I have used it myself, and it works with removing stains. I made the first batch a little salty, but I don't mind it. For essential oils, I added tee tree oil, but I think peppermint will work really well too. I also didn't have calcium/magnesium powder, so I didn't add that :-[ Next batch!

Back
Top Bottom