Smoking is... good?

wow thanks guys, that's a simple thing to do. I also have sensitive teeth so I had the same concern as echo. Well guess I'll never find out if I never try :) I wonder how it was in the hunter gatherer days - did they never smoke tobacco so frequently that this wasn't a problem?

on a somewhat related note - and this was very surprising to me - after starting with the paleo diet I found that if I brush with a toothpaste containing flouride my teeth becomes incredibly sensitive that I can't even smoke for a day or 2 (just the air going between the teeth is enough to cause the sensitive pain) Weird huh!

cheers and thank you all :)

I control the staining by two ways. First I use a venturi filter that traps a lot of tar. Second I use at intervals a mouthwash with peroxide, but not for everyday because my teeth get sensitive.

Galaxia2002 said:
I control the staining by two ways. First I use a venturi filter that traps a lot of tar. Second I use at intervals a mouthwash with peroxide, but not for everyday because my teeth get sensitive.

Hi galaxia, so i'm assuming your brushing is with the regular toothpaste and nothing special? Have you noticed the difference between using peroxide + filter and not using a filter at all (i.e. in terms of how long it takes to build up the stain)?

I use brand "now" free-fluoride toothpaste with xylitol, it is almost as common toothpaste. The whitening effect is from peroxide not from the toothpast. If I left time without using the peroxide the get dark again.
Without filter my teeth not only get darker but get plaque faster.

I received my order from Whole Leaf Tobacco today. Ordered Saturday on my porch Weds afternoon.

I order this package.

NEW CIGARETTE SAMPLER
The Cigarette Sampler will include enough tobacco for making about 2 cartons of cigarettes (over 2 lbs. of tobacco)
The sampler includes
3/4 lb. Genuine Virginia grown Flue Cured Bright Leaf
3/4 lb. Genuine Kentucky grown, Air Cured aged TN 90 Burley
1/4 lb. American grown Oriental (Turkish) tobacco
1/2 lb. Genuine American grown Dark Air cured aged at least 3 years.

So I can try each in turn and different blends.

The cutting technique shown in the video works ok but is a bit tedious. The result works fine for my pipe but will need to cut finer somehow for easy rolling.

I tried a pipe load of the Virgina. Very mild taste. The American grown Dark Air is very nice. Full rich flavor, love it.

A email from Don (the seller) said that the tobacco can be stored in the original bags without freezing if tightly resealed.

Love to experiment. :) :cool2:

Mac

Alana said:
I can't remember if this homemade toothpaste recipe has been posted elsewhere, but here it is:

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/04/rethinking-oral-health-care-a-homemade-toothpaste-recipe-for-tooth-remineralization.html

I have used it myself, and it works with removing stains. I made the first batch a little salty, but I don't mind it. For essential oils, I added tee tree oil, but I think peppermint will work really well too. I also didn't have calcium/magnesium powder, so I didn't add that :-[ Next batch!

I meant to thank you for this Alana, the addition of Magnesium Sulfate was kind of a duh moment, but the change was quite drastic. The first day I used it which was the same day you posted, the next day my teeth were a couple of shades whiter already, it was a quite incredible change so thanks.

:hug:

For the last few days I've been oil pulling with coconut oil and following it with brushing with baking soda. I've noticed a difference in whiteness. I've also done a little scraping of the teeth with my own tool too. My teeth are feeling a lot smoother and my mouth is fresher. I plan to keep on with the oil pulling.

The funny thing is is that the oil pulling has put me off my cigarettes. I've only had a few puffs in the last few days. :rolleyes: I wonder if this effect will last.

Odyssey said:
For the last few days I've been oil pulling with coconut oil and following it with brushing with baking soda. I've noticed a difference in whiteness. I've also done a little scraping of the teeth with my own tool too. My teeth are feeling a lot smoother and my mouth is fresher. I plan to keep on with the oil pulling.

The funny thing is is that the oil pulling has put me off my cigarettes. I've only had a few puffs in the last few days. :rolleyes: I wonder if this effect will last.

I definitely think that there is something to oil pulling. I have been doing it for a couple of weeks and there is a need to spit after I empty my mouth of the oil, the spit comes out with traces of red material and sometimes black, this is before I brush my teeth so it is probably not blood at least from brushing my teeth. It is quite thick as well, but that is probably a good thing since it is supposed to be pulling toxins.

The frequency of my smokes have definitely decreased, but it's fine with me since I am dirt poor and this only saves tobacco. :D

Mac said:
I received my order from Whole Leaf Tobacco today. Ordered Saturday on my porch Weds afternoon.

I order this package.

NEW CIGARETTE SAMPLER
The Cigarette Sampler will include enough tobacco for making about 2 cartons of cigarettes (over 2 lbs. of tobacco)
The sampler includes
3/4 lb. Genuine Virginia grown Flue Cured Bright Leaf
3/4 lb. Genuine Kentucky grown, Air Cured aged TN 90 Burley
1/4 lb. American grown Oriental (Turkish) tobacco
1/2 lb. Genuine American grown Dark Air cured aged at least 3 years.

So I can try each in turn and different blends.

The cutting technique shown in the video works ok but is a bit tedious. The result works fine for my pipe but will need to cut finer somehow for easy rolling.

I tried a pipe load of the Virgina. Very mild taste. The American grown Dark Air is very nice. Full rich flavor, love it.

A email from Don (the seller) said that the tobacco can be stored in the original bags without freezing if tightly resealed.

Love to experiment. :) :cool2:

Mac

Those look like they would make a great blend. As for the cutting, a couple of years ago my nephew gave me a great Christmas present of a CIA (Culinary Institute of America, not the other one!) little paring knife. It's an awesome little knife and I found I can cut 1 mm ribbons of tobacco with it if I don't get impatient and start cutting at 2 mm.

I just got a two-pound order from the guy I bought my plants from, Virginia Bright Leaf and Turkish. He also included a nice sized sample of Maryland 609 which I really like, kind of like a milder Burley. I tried a cigarette of each variety and then one of all three blended with a pinch of the Burley I have. Great flavor. If I buy anymore I will probably get some of the Dark Air. I was curious about it but your review, Mac, seals it.

Mr. Premise said:
Those look like they would make a great blend. As for the cutting, a couple of years ago my nephew gave me a great Christmas present of a CIA (Culinary Institute of America, not the other one!) little paring knife. It's an awesome little knife and I found I can cut 1 mm ribbons of tobacco with it if I don't get impatient and start cutting at 2 mm.

I just got a two-pound order from the guy I bought my plants from, Virginia Bright Leaf and Turkish. He also included a nice sized sample of Maryland 609 which I really like, kind of like a milder Burley. I tried a cigarette of each variety and then one of all three blended with a pinch of the Burley I have. Great flavor. If I buy anymore I will probably get some of the Dark Air. I was curious about it but your review, Mac, seals it.

Burley definitely has a bite, probably best used in a blend rather than straight. Yeah, the dark air is my favorite of the 4 I got. Great taste and I suspect it has a strong nicotine content as well. Very satisfying.

Found this, pasta maker for cutting tobacco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvCiGLZ4M5o. Any experience with this?

Thanks again, Mr Premise, for the tip on leaf tobacco. I like it better than any RYO I have tried, KS included. Really, rich tobacco experience.

Mac

Want to share my experience with the Yuma tobacco I am using it now for 3 weeks, and I love it! It feels much cleaner and nicer then American Spirit. Whenever I use america spirit tobacco it feels much heavier, while Yuma gives a more fulfilling effect. Only downside is that I have not come across any store in the Netherlands which actually sells it, so I would have to order it online which is sadly way more expensive.

Mac said:
Found this, pasta maker for cutting tobacco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvCiGLZ4M5o. Any experience with this?

Thanks again, Mr Premise, for the tip on leaf tobacco. I like it better than any RYO I have tried, KS included. Really, rich tobacco experience.

Mac

The pasta maker looks like a real time saver. From reading forum reports of people who have used them, they say for the classic cigarette cut you want the Vermicelli or Angel Hair attachment. But I've never had a problem with a wider cut. Before I buy a pasta maker, I need to ask my wife if we've got one tucked away somewhere. We probably do.

Mr. Premise said:
Mac said:

Mac

The pasta maker looks like a real time saver. From reading forum reports of people who have used them, they say for the classic cigarette cut you want the Vermicelli or Angel Hair attachment. But I've never had a problem with a wider cut. Before I buy a pasta maker, I need to ask my wife if we've got one tucked away somewhere. We probably do.

I'll ask my wife if someone in her family has one that they don't want any more. I have a small electric veggie chopper, like is used to chop up a small onion for a sauce. I put the scissor cut leaf in it. It produces a nice fine cut, good for rolling or pipe. Will do until I find something to make larger batches.

Blended some dark flue with Virginia 50/50. Very nice. :cool2:

Mac

Mr. Premise said:
Mac said:
Blended some dark flue with Virginia 50/50. Very nice. :cool2:

Mac

Have you tried putting in some Turkish along with your 50/50 mix? To me the Turkish puts it over the top.

Next on my agenda. Such fun experimenting! BTW WLT added an extra bag of Turkish to my order.

Mac

Back
Top Bottom