Smoking is... good?

_http://www.seedman.com/cutof.htm

seriously guys, bricking the leaf like in this link and using a paper guillotine is the easiest way to cut large amounts.Unless you want a machine to maintain and possibly contaminate your leaf.

Do you treat the leaf for mould or sun dry your leaf carefully? ..mould is bad to smoke

dant said:
There could be long term wear & tear on these machines
and my spouse was not happy with a tobacco smelling food
processor and paper shredder so I am going to have to find
another solution if I want to continue with the whole leaf operation,
and scissors cutting is out of the question for me as I do not
want to cut/smoke/cut/smoke - that would kill the fun out of it. :lol:

If there is a commercial tobacco shredder available, I'd buy it. Most
of these machines seems to be available from the Chinese, made for
commercial/industrial markets and it's hard to know what they can do,
what they cost, how big they are, what it looks like with the eyeball,
and "try it in 30 days or return it". These Chinese machines appear
on the website as Alibaba and it's sister sites.

I did find a US based vendor that sells a re-branded Chinese model for
$249.00, but again do not have a clear picture what it can do. And then
there is the rest - "coffee-grinder" models, meat-grinders, home made
and antiques - probably rusted and no longer functional. :lol:

It's been a fun enterprise really - and it's all about lessons as they
say, and I am grateful for it!

Dant, on the Fair Trade Tobacco forum they have been testing a Powermatic shredder for about the same price I think as the one you saw, which performed really well. I think they will be offering it on the Whole Leaf Tobacco site and I think there will be a discount if you sign up for the forum. Here is a video of it in action. They really put it through the paces in the test. It can shred a pound in five minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b3zAR3zRidw

I have been trying some blends with the tobacco I got from WLT. My favorite so far American dark flue, virginia, turkish appx 45/45/10. Also kentucky select, virginia, turkish same proportions is good too.

I strip out the stems by hand, cut it with scissors then use a small veggie chopper. Nice size result. I will have a few days off this week, maybe look at pasta makers.

Mac

1toofast said:
_http://www.seedman.com/cutof.htm

seriously guys, bricking the leaf like in this link and using a paper guillotine is the easiest way to cut large amounts.Unless you want a machine to maintain and possibly contaminate your leaf.

Do you treat the leaf for mould or sun dry your leaf carefully? ..mould is bad to smoke

As long as you dry the leaves completely so that the mid rib is totally dry and do it slowly enough so it browns, you won't have a mold problem. This should be done in a shed or indoors. From what I've read only Turkish is sun cured. The kiln is nice because at the temps it runs at, about 125F mold won't grow. Then, for long term storage keep it dry enough and mold shouldn't form.

Where do you get your leaves, 1toofast? Do you grow them? What varieties?

I said in the post #1472 that I've got a stitch after Nicotiana Rustica. I was smoking chopped mapacho. Then I tried to smoke mapacho in a role (mazo mapacho), it was moldy, but I cut almost everything that was mold and smoke it. There was no pain after it, I enjoy smoking. And after 3 days it almost disappears. I think the chopped mapacho was mold and I couldn't see it. I wait more than 2 month until I received my tobacco, so it could become moldy during shipping. So as you all said, I've got a pain because tobacco was moldy. I was so glad because Nicotiana Rustica is the best tobacco of all that I tried. Thanks to all of you for your replies. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was in a village, had to do a lot, then that house where I lived was under repair and there other reasons.

Nice plants Pashalis. :) This year I asked my mom to plant tobacco for me. She is really anti-smoking, and at first I thought that would be not a good idea to ask her for it. I thought that it would be hard for her and she will think badly about it and it would grow with negative attention. But I asked her and she planted for me Nicotiana Rustica tobacco. I told her that it's better to grow your own tobacco, because I will smoke anyway and that it is better to have your own organic tobacco. I said that when I tried store-bought cigs, I got sick from them. She told me how they grow tobacco in Soviet Union and sold it to the government.
And you know she cares about it a lot; I didn't expect it at all. She speaks about the plants so positively, she said for example, when I asked her how the tobacco is growing, she said that it grow up the leaves are cute and so on :). (I don't know how to express it in English). It because she forgets her negative attitude towards tobacco and fully involved in tobacco plant growing. :) But what is bad that the day before yesterday in the town where my parents live was some sort of 'little hurricane', I mean powerful wind and it was hailing. And a lot of plants were damaged, and tobacco was damaged too. My mom next day said that they are getting better, I hope they would.

My mom also remembered that she had some old tobacco rolling papers; It seemed it was belong to my grandpa. I so like different ancient stuff that it is hard for me to smoke this paper. They are almost the same as the ‘Raw’ I ordered on the eBay. I’ll share pictures. It seemed to be organic made of wood I think. (I just loved a lot of production that the Soviet Union produced. There wasn’t a lot of option but everything was of high quality. Every post-Soviet family seems to still keep one object from USSR’s production that just refuses to break. :) ) And on the second or third day, after she gave me rolling paper, she asked me about this paper, asked if I like it, if I find it suitable, (smth like that).

And I want to ask about my daily dose of nicotine. I roll my own without filter and without rolling mashing. The size of them is 2-3 times thicker than usual store-bought cigarette. I smoke 10, sometimes 15 of such cigs a day. I don’t know how to count the nicotine dose of my daily intake of tobacco. I get used to smoke them, sometimes I make smaller ones, but usually I need to smoke 2 of them in order not to want more. I smoke Nicotiana Rustica tobacco which has few times more nicotine than Nicotiana Tobacum, isn’t it to much, how do you think?

Hi Serg,

From what I understand, dosage is subjective and therefore different for each individual. I think listening to your body and letting it decide is probably as good an apporach as any.

Every day is different for me. Although I smoke on average 20 a day, some days I crave more and others I crave less. I find that when my work is either stressful or requires concentration (which is most of the time), I tend to smoke more. And when I'm relaxing, I don't seem to crave as much.

Hope that helps,
Gonzo

I received an email reply from Larry, at the supplier suggested by Mr Premise. He lists two types of tobacco that I am not familiar with.

Maryland and One sucker.

What are the characteristics of these? Flavor etc. Say as compared to Virgina or Dark Air. I don't find much info with an Internet search.

Thanks

Mac

Mac said:
I received an email reply from Larry, at the supplier suggested by Mr Premise. He lists two types of tobacco that I am not familiar with.

Maryland and One sucker.

What are the characteristics of these? Flavor etc. Say as compared to Virgina or Dark Air. I don't find much info with an Internet search.

Thanks

Mac

I haven't tried One Sucker yet, but Maryland is very similar to Burley but a little milder. I think it's also lower in nicotine than standard Burley.

Gonzo said:
Hi Serg,

From what I understand, dosage is subjective and therefore different for each individual. I think listening to your body and letting it decide is probably as good an apporach as any.

Every day is different for me. Although I smoke on average 20 a day, some days I crave more and others I crave less. I find that when my work is either stressful or requires concentration (which is most of the time), I tend to smoke more. And when I'm relaxing, I don't seem to crave as much.

Hope that helps,
Gonzo

Hi Gonzo, thanks for reply. I also thought so, but need somebody to reconfirm that.
Also according to what I read here I could be the only one who smokes mapacho (Nicotiana Rustica) on a regular basis. That also was the reason why I asked this question, because it contains a lot more nicotine than other tobacco and it is the only one that suites me perfectly. I got other varieties of tobacco, but usually I get a little sickness after them and not enough nicotine. However, sometimes, very rarely, I smoke some just for a change.
Edit : spellcheck

Add: I forget to share the picture of the Soviet rolling paper that my mom gave me, I told about them in the previous post.
Here is the picture:

35828_Papir_Sovetskii_dlya_cigarok.jpg

I think many of you use rolling tobacco. I am wondering how you deal with stains on your fingers. The yellow stains on my fingers drive me crazy. Any advice?

I've used rolling tobacco for nearly 20 years and I don't get finger staining. I used to in the early days and I'd clean it off with toothpaste when I brushed my teeth. I'm not sure why I don't get the finger staining anymore. It could be that I've adapted how I roll my smokes. I roll my smokes much thinner these days and pack less tobacco in to stretch out supplies, and I also put less tobacco on the 'sucking' end so there's very little tobacco where my fingers hold the smoke and I do this so that I get a nice seal on the mouth end of the paper - I twist it because I don't use filters. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Edited for clarity.

Hi guys I had a question,

(checked the search button, but couldn't find anything on this)

I wanna try out a big cigar (like one of those cuban cigars) for fun. I did a bit of research and know that you are not supposed to inhale it, but to smoke it slowly.

Before trying it just wanted to ask for some feedback on what to be aware of.

thanks!

Bo said:

I wanna try out a big cigar (like one of those cuban cigars) for fun. I did a bit of research and know that you are not supposed to inhale it, but to smoke it slowly.

thanks!

Hi Bo, as I understand you mean ' not supposed to inhale it and to smoke it slowly'? I also read that you are supposed to smoke ciggars without inhale. But when I tried, I inhale, because it the same tobacco just in the bigger amount. You can try to inhale but do it lightly(jently) and slowly, not to much, otherwise it will shoked you lungs. For me I just didn't see the point letting the smoke enter my mouth and just letting it out. :) I'm just telling you how I would do it. (added)

Serg said:
Bo said:

thanks!

Hi Bo, as I understand you mean ' not supposed to inhale it and to smoke it slowly'? I also read that you are supposed to smoke ciggars without inhale. But when I tried, I inhale, because it the same tobacco just in the bigger amount. You can try to inhale but do it lightly(jently) and slowly, not to much, otherwise it will shoked you lungs. For me I just didn't see the point letting the smoke enter my mouth and just letting it out. :) I'm just telling you how I would do it. (added)

Yeah I read that cigars are usually much heavier and can make one trow up or cough very badly when inhaled, but it also depends I think if it's organic made, withouth any additives. I will get one that is free of any chemical additives.

I did find this one:

Plasencia Reserva Organica Robusto Cigars(_http://www.famous-smoke.com/plasencia+reserva+organica+robusto+cigars/item+17270?kws=ZWW4354&utm_source=Pricegrabber&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=cigars_CI-PRO-ROBN&utm_campaign=ZWW4354)

Plasencia Reserva Organica Robusto Natural cigars are handmade in Nicaragua from 100% *Certified Organic* tobaccos grown just as the Nicarao Indians did 500 years ago. Aged over 3 years, these unique, smooth-smoking cigars are mild to medium in body with a marvelously pure and natural tobacco flavor.

One is $8 dollar, so I will try that out and inhale very slowly then, just to see how my body reacts to it.

The Placencia Organic cigars are very nice. I bought a pack of the small ones. The reason you don't usually inhale cigars is that the pH of cigar tobacco is different from cigarette tobacco (can't remember if it's higher or lower) which enables the nicotine to be absorbed through the mouth unlike cigarette smoke which you have to inhale. Also, smoking cigars is like chewing tobacco, since there is no paper, you have tobacco in your mouth and absorb some nicotine that way. But you can inhale a few puffs out of a cigar with no problem but if you inhaled the whole thing it would be a bit much. It can also be more harsh that cigarette tobacco when inhaled.

Back
Top Bottom