Smoking is... good?

Mr. Premise said:
Ennio said:
The seller actually suggested I order as little as possible on-line so that I don't have skeletons in my closet. His exact words. He's been selling tobacco long enough to see the changes occur and expressed just how unjust the persecution of smokers (and sellers) has become. All but the cigar smokers, he added. Probably because many politicians and wealthier people smoke em, he quipped. Oh and he also gets harassed by the police. He's not allowed to shred tobacco for his customers so he has to ask his customers to shred their whole leaf purchases themselves using his machines lest he get into trouble. It seems like they're really gunning for him.
What that seller is doing is risky. Even if he has the customer shred, if they use his equipment it could be considered that he is manufacturing cigarettes. That happened to the store near me, they were taken to court by the state and lost. And all they were doing was selling taxed RYO tobacco and letting their customers use their machines to stuff tubes.

What some stores have done is have a meeting of a "club" that pools resources to buy the equipment, but the store owner doesn't own the equipment. If I had a tobacco store, I would just tell the customers to shred or stuff off premises.

Same has happened here in Tenn. We had a local shop that sold the RYO tobacco and tubes and use of two huge machines for turning out the butts. They were only open for less than a year before the state ordered them closed. On appeal they reopened for about a month, then were ordered closed again. A sign in the window read that they would reopen as a private club, but that never happened, and they eventually vacated. I'm sure they never recouped the cost of those machines.

Foxx said:
Ennio said:
Ennio said:
Like Foxx I too wouldn't want to spend a longish time cutting tobacco though, maybe a shredder is worth chipping in with others to purchase. But it sounds like you did it by hand with a knife - and/or some other appliance?

This doesn't seem like a bad solution: _http://www.leafonly.com/tobacco_leaf_shredder_standard.php

I initially cut the leaves with scissors--I personally wouldn't recommend it (slow, kind of hard on the hands, the cut isn't great). Then I got the shredder from leafonly (I mentioned it in my earlier post), but it's still not a quick process.
Just got the hand shredder from leaf only yesterday. I found it to be surprisingly easy and pretty quick. Very happy with it and it only cost $40 when buying whole leaf. 2 pound whole leaf sampler and hand shredder with shipping less than $90 total. FWIW

Here's a little report on my smoking experience so far.

The first few weeks I could only ever 'enjoy' half of a roll up at most and often if I smoked at the wrong time it would make me feel quite sick.

Anyway it's been a few months now and I've steadily been increasing the amounts I have, listening to my body and relishing in the clarity of thought. For me it's a great break and I enjoy having a minute or two to sit back and take everything in. It also appears to aid my digestion and bowel movements.

After I've used up the 1kg of Pueblo I got for cheap I'll look into buying whole leaf.

Thanks for all your posts and research. :cool2:

Tobacco smoking produces widespread dominant brain wave alpha
frequency increases

Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI USA
Tobacco Science Research Center, Japan Tobacco Inc., Yokohama, Japan

The major pharmacological ingredient in tobacco smoke is nicotine, a mild stimulant known to alter brain
electrical activity. The objective of this study was to determine if tobacco smoking in humans produces
localized or widespread neocortical dominant alpha-electroencephalographic (EEG) frequency increases
consistent with nicotine stimulation of the brainstem activating system in animals. Twenty-two male
volunteer non-deprived tobacco smokers were studied. They were asked not to smoke for at least 1 h before
the experiment in mid-morning as part of their usual smoking schedule. In the laboratory, they sham
smoked and then smoked their favorite tobacco cigarette. Two experimental sessions (#1 and #2) were
conducted, separated by a one to two month interval. In both sessions, there were minor statistically
significant increases in the dominant alpha-frequencies after sham smoking. In both sessions, after the
subjects smoked a favorite tobacco cigarette there was a significant generalized increase in dominant alpha
EEG frequencies in most scalp recording sites. This study demonstrates that tobacco smoking produces
widespread bilateral neocortical increases in dominant alphaEEG frequencies consistent with the stimulant
effects of nicotine on the brainstem reticular activating system.

Conclusions

1. Sham smoking by inhaling air increased the dominant EEGalpha
frequency slightly more in the right brain hemisphere.

2. Smoking a favorite brand of tobacco cigarette significantly
increased dominant alphafrequency more generally in both brain
hemispheres, especially when replicated 1–2 months later.

3. The results in human tobacco smokers are consistent with known
effects of nicotine on the brainstem activating system in animals to
produce generalized cortical activations

_http://booksc.org/s/?q=+Tobacco+smoking+produces+widespread+dominant+brain+wave+alpha+frequency+increases&t=0

Had a chance to read through the Myths of the North American Indians (February 1927 addition) – by Lewis Spence

There are many interesting myths recounted, along with some pretty ignorant statements by cited writers (please note the derogatory terms) along with priest/missionary interpretations that follow the usual religious programs. However, in this section, here is one myth/evidence based background to smoking that I’m adding to this thread.

It should be noted that what is very important, is the pipe itself more so than the tobacco. The pipe has very special qualities and seems to be best brought out of and shaped from the stone of a particular place held in reverence amongst many native tribes.

Also, there might be a comet aspects to this place?

P. 115 – 118

The Sacred Origin of Smoking

Smoking is, of course, originally an American custom, and with the Indians of North America possesses a sacred origin. Says an authority upon the barbarian use of tobacco: 2

2 Schoolcraft, op. cit

{some like to use derogatory statements like barbarian without looking in the mirror}

"Of the sacred origin of tobacco the Indian has no doubt, although scarcely two tribes exactly agree in the details of the way in which the invaluable boon was conferred on man. In substance, however, the legend is the same with all. Ages ago, at the time when spirits considered the world yet good enough for their occasional residence, a very great and powerful spirit lay down by the side of his fire to sleep in the forest. While so lying, his arch-enemy came that way, and thought it would be a good chance for mischief; so, gently approaching the sleeper, he rolled him over toward the fire, till his head rested among the glowing embers, and his hair was set ablaze. The roaring of the fire in his ears roused the good spirit, and, leaping to his feet, he rushed in a fright through the forest, and as he did so the wind caught his singed hair as it flew off", and, carrying it away, sowed it broadcast over the earth, into which it sank and took root, and grew up tobacco.

"If anything exceeds the savage’s {guess that is many of us} belief in tobacco, it is that which attaches to his pipe. In life it is his dearest companion, and in death is inseparable; for whatever else may be forgotten at his funeral obsequies, his pipe is laid in the grave with him to solace him on his journey to the ‘happy hunting-ground.’ ‘The first pipe’ is among the most sacred of their traditions; as well it may be, when it is sincerely believed that no other than the Great Spirit himself was the original smoker.

" Many years ago the Great Spirit called all his people together, and, standing on the precipice of the Red Pipe-stone Rock, he broke a piece from the wall, and, kneading it in his hands, made a huge pipe, which he smoked over them, and to the north, south, east, and west. He told them that this stone was red, that it was their flesh, that of it they might make their pipes of peace; but it belonged equally to all; and the war-club and the scalping-knife must not be raised on this ground. And he smoked his pipe and talked to them till the last whiff, and then his head disappeared in a cloud; and immediately the whole surface of the rock for several miles was melted and glazed. Two great ovens were opened beneath, and two women (guardian spirits of the place) entered them in a blaze of fire; and they are heard there yet, and answer to the in vocation of the priests, or medicine-men, who consult them on their visits to this sacred place.

Here is some posit glacier drift background:

_http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/pipestone/rock.htm

Pipestone: The Rock - snip said:
Geological History of Sioux Quartzite and Catlinite: Established in 1937, Pipestone National Monument, where much of the Sioux quartzite and catlinite (pipestone) is located, occupies a 282-acre tract of land. Geologically, much of this monument is characterized by a mantle of glacial drift less than 10 feet thick and consists dominantly of oxidized, light-olive-brown, clayey, calcareous till (unstratified glacial drift of clay, sand, and gravel) with scattered pebbles and cobbles of basalt and quartzite. The basalt fragments were transported from an exotic source to their present site by glacial processes, whereas the quartzite fragments were obviously derived from the underlying bedrock. All of the underlying bedrock is of early Proterozoic age, occurring between 1,770-1,600 million years ago. Quartzite is a massive, hard, light-colored rock with a flinty sheet; it is a metamorphosed sandstone. The Sioux quartzite consists predominately of othroquartzite, but fine-grained rocks, including quartz-rich siltsone, clayey siltstone, silty mudstone, and pipestone are also present in small amounts. In general, the quartzitic rocks are highly resistant to erosion and weathering. The quartzite is characteristically pink in color, but beds vary from light pink to deep red. In Pipestone, the stone is a dark red color, while in nearby Jasper, the quarries yield a lighter pink hue of Sioux quartzite.

The Sacred Origin of SmokingCont…

"The ‘sacred place’ here mentioned is the site of the world-renowned ‘Pipe-stone Quarry.’ From this place has the North American Indian ever obtained material for his pipe, and from no other spot. Catlin asserts that in every tribe he has visited (numbering about forty, and extending over thousands of miles of country) the pipes have all been made of this red pipe-stone. Clarke, the great American traveller, relates that in his intercourse with many tribes who as yet had had but little intercourse with the whites he learned that almost every adult had made the pilgrimage to the sacred rock and drawn from thence his pipe-stone. So peculiar is this ‘quarry’ that Catlin has been at the pains to describe it very fully and graphically, and from his account the following is taken:

"’Our approach to it was from the east, and the ascent, for the distance of fifty miles, over a continued succession of slopes and terraces, almost imperceptibly rising one above another, that seemed to lift us to a great height. There is not a tree or bush to be seen from the highest summit of the ridge, though the eye may range east and west, almost to a boundless extent, over a surface covered with a short grass, that is green at one’s feet, and about him, but changing to blue in distance, like nothing but the blue and vastness of the ocean.

"’On the very top of this mound or ridge we found the far-famed quarry or fountain of the Red Pipe{sounds like a Kimberlite tube}, which is truly an anomaly in nature. The principal and most striking feature of this place is a perpendicular wall of close-grained, compact quartz, of twenty-five and thirty feet in elevation, running nearly north and south, with its face to the west, exhibiting a front of nearly two miles in length, when it disappears at both ends, by running under the prairie, which becomes there a little more elevated, and probably covers it for many miles, both to the north and south. The depression of the brow of the ridge at this place has been caused by the wash of a little stream, produced by several springs at the top, a little back from the wall, which has gradually carried away the superincumbent earth, and having bared the wall for the distance of two miles, is now left to glide for some distance over a perfectly level surface of quartz rock; and then to leap from the top of the wall into a deep basin below, and thence seek its course to the Missouri, forming the extreme source of a noted and powerful tributary, called the "Big Sioux."

"’At the base of this wall there is a level prairie, of half a mile in width, running parallel to it, in any, and in all parts of which, the Indians procure the red stone for their pipes, by digging through the soil and several slaty layers of the red stone to the depth of four or five feet. From the very numerous marks of ancient and modern diggings or excavations, it would appear that this place has been for many centuries resorted to for
the red stone; and from the great number of graves and remains of ancient fortifications in the vicinity, it would seem, as well as from their actual traditions, that the Indian tribes have long held this place in high superstitious estimation; and also that it has been the resort of different tribes, who have made their regular pilgrimages here to renew their pipes.’

"As far as may be gathered from the various and slightly conflicting accounts of Indian smoking observances, it would seem that to every tribe, or, if it be an extensive one, to every detachment of a tribe, belongs a potent instrument known as ‘medicine pipe-stem.’ It is nothing more than a tobacco-pipe, splendidly adorned with savage trappings, yet it is regarded as a sacred thing to be used only on the most solemn occasions, or in the transaction of such important business as among us could only be concluded by the sanction of a Cabinet Council, and affixing the royal signature."

Further along in this book it tells of a boy who is tricked to an island by canoe and his clothing is taken and he is abandoned whereby he finds 'The Friendly Skelton' who helps him after first asking for the boy to dig up his hidden tobacco and pipe under a rock:

P.244 Illustration(James Jack) is titled - “He lit the pipe and placed it in the mouth of the skeleton” from ‘The Friendly Skelton’.

Just over six years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes and hypertension. I was quite overweight, smoked, and with the exception of copious amounts of Pepsi Cola I ate what I thought was a healthy diet. Not so much.

It took me a couple of years to work things out, but I ended up on the Paleo diet, lost 50 pounds, and, naturally, quite the Pepsi. I also quite smoking (I was at about a pack a day). I liked the money I was saving, and certainly my lungs seemed to be the better for it.

Having said all that, I think there is a place for tobacco. My wife still smokes, and I make no effort to get her to quit. On the contrary, in the last year I have taken to smoking cigars once in a while (good ones...I hope...not from large American factories). I love my cigars.

Certainly different body types are able to tolerate different amounts of smoke inhalation, but that said ever since my wife quit eating wheat, her lungs have improved significantly. She still has that distinctive "smoker's cough", but it's definitely lessened, so the only thing I'm trying to do is to get her to quit eating sugar. You think tobacco is addictive? Yeah right.

The Native Americans didn't sit and smoke all day, so maybe there's something in moderation? Well, it's summer now so I can easily find a way to get my butt (pardon the pun) outside to enjoy a cigar regularly now, so this is going to be my personal experiment.

I started smoking at age 17 smoked a pack a day ,after 10 years I quit smoking because of the propaganda about the dangers of smoking.
Now i start smoking again: organic american spirit roll you own but only 3-4 per day , if i smoke more i do not feel well.
maybe i have to try to change the brand of tobacco or its just my daily nicotine limit.

marek760 said:
maybe i have to try to change the brand of tobacco or its just my daily nicotine limit.

This may be only what you need ("3-4 per day"). You can try other leaf and paper to see if there are any additional variables to what feels correct for you at the present level.

voyageur said:
marek760 said:

This may be only what you need ("3-4 per day"). You can try other leaf and paper to see if there are any additional variables to what feels correct for you at the present level.

Organic american spirit tobacco is among some of the stronger types out there. So if you think you'll enjoy smoking more times a day, you may like to try the regular blend (in the light blue packaging). Or try one of the other brands with no additives that are mentioned here.

Ennio said:
voyageur said:
marek760 said:

Organic american spirit tobacco is among some of the stronger types out there. So if you think you'll enjoy smoking more times a day, you may like to try the regular blend (in the light blue packaging). Or try one of the other brands with no additives that are mentioned here.

thanks for the reply
i tried regular blend with filter and those I can smoke a lot more , but 3-4 its ok for me i do not have to smoke every 1 hour .

I was looking at the WholeLeafTobacco website and there's some good news for Europe and UK folks who are looking for whole leaf tobacco. They have a distributor located in the UK: pureleaf.co.uk that will also ship to Europe.

Looks like 13.99 British pounds per 100g. which is about 5 times higher than we pay in the US, but I don't know how that compares to what you guys have to pay for roll-your-own.

Well that's the best news I have seen since getting to know that smoking tobacco can be healthy.
In UK 50 gram pouch of Golden Virginia costs 18 pounds, it isn't much better in the rest of europe, thus the pureleaf option is not of this by far the best way to get good tobacco in Europe, IMO.

This is an example of the gross pictures that come on all tobacco sold in New Zealand now. There are about a dozen different pictures in use. Some are so gross I ask for a different pack, e.g. if I am given the pack with the super-gross diseased eyeball picture on it, I will ask "Can I have the pack with the gangrenous toes picture instead please?" :)

drive.jpg

Mal7 said:
This is an example of the gross pictures that come on all tobacco sold in New Zealand now. There are about a dozen different pictures in use. Some are so gross I ask for a different pack, e.g. if I am given the pack with the super-gross diseased eyeball picture on it, I will ask "Can I have the pack with the gangrenous toes picture instead please?" :)

drive.jpg

:O OMG! This would be hilarious if it didn't reflect such a serious attempt at (ultimately) trying to keep people UNhealthy, and asleep to reality.

Mal7 said:

drive.jpg
That doesn't even look real to me. It looks like something made up in a prop shop or something. If I had to deal with that I would buy a cigarette case or box and just keep the cigs in that. Toss the repulsive propaganda box right out!

Back
Top Bottom