Smoking is... good?

ec1968 said:
I can't use any tobacco products as they are contraindicated for anyone with spinal disorders.

Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean spinal disorders as in "scoliosis"?

Immersion, what kind of filters and papers are you using?
I got dizzy as well (although smoking the Manitou Green Organic Label).
I switched to organic hemp filters/paper by OCB - no problems since then.

M.T.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 463
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 25
Minas Tirith said:
ec1968 said:
I can't use any tobacco products as they are contraindicated for anyone with spinal disorders.

Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean spinal disorders as in "scoliosis"?

Immersion, what kind of filters and papers are you using?
I got dizzy as well (although smoking the Manitou Green Organic Label).
I switched to organic hemp filters/paper by OCB - no problems since then.

M.T.

I've using pure hemp filter roaches and OCB papers. Things are going great now, I just needed to ease myself into it and learn to smoke at the right time.

Smoking around ten a day now and I've never felt more focused. :)

I just discovered a new way to enjoy cigarette tobacco. Just cut part of a whole leaf into a 2 inch by 2 inch or so square and use the whole leaf square to roll up shredded cigarette tobacco. Like a little cigarillo with cigarette tobacco. I tried some with some Yellow Twist Bud leaf I had, rolled around some Virginia and Turkish and it tasted great. Smokes much slower than a cigarette made out of paper. But tasted very smooth even without a filter.

I did have to use some cigar glue I made by mixing fruit pectin with water to hold it together. :cool2:

Mr. Premise said:
I just discovered a new way to enjoy cigarette tobacco. Just cut part of a whole leaf into a 2 inch by 2 inch or so square and use the whole leaf square to roll up shredded cigarette tobacco. Like a little cigarillo with cigarette tobacco. I tried some with some Yellow Twist Bud leaf I had, rolled around some Virginia and Turkish and it tasted great. Smokes much slower than a cigarette made out of paper. But tasted very smooth even without a filter.

I did have to use some cigar glue I made by mixing fruit pectin with water to hold it together. :cool2:

Useful information! :cool2:

voyageur said:
Mr. Premise said:

Useful information! :cool2:

yes! Thank you :cool2:

Just a little observation:

Since I only recently stared smoking after informing myself here I had never tried the classic, industrial cigarettes but rather the no additive "real" ones so to speak. So, a friend offered me the classic one the other day and I felt like I was inhaling thin air. It had zero real tobacco taste to me, zero "punch", utterly useless. And they have a completely different, a bit foul smell.

Never gonna smoke those again...

Here are some smoking-related quotes from Mark Twain's Roughing It (1872). This was a book about Mark Twain's travels out into the wild west of the USA in the 1860s. I find Mark Twain's semi-autobiographical narratives such as this to be very funny in parts. I struggle to think of a single other author who I find to be as humorous as Mark Twain. He also had his misanthropic side, as in such quotes as: "There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race, and finish the farce" or "Such is the human race. Often it does seem such a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat."

We took two or three blankets for protection against frosty weather in the mountains. In the matter of luxuries we were modest—we took none along but some pipes and five pounds of smoking tobacco.
All things being now ready, we stowed the uneasy Dictionary where it would lie as quiet as possible, and placed the water-canteens and pistols where we could find them in the dark. Then we smoked a final pipe, and swapped a final yarn; after which, we put the pipes, tobacco and bag of coin in snug holes and caves among the mail-bags, and then fastened down the coach curtains all around, and made the place as "dark as the inside of a cow," as the conductor phrased it in his picturesque way [. . .] We began to get into country, now, threaded here and there with little streams. These had high, steep banks on each side, and every time we flew down one bank and scrambled up the other, our party inside got mixed somewhat [. . .] Every time we avalanched from one end of the stage to the other, the Unabridged Dictionary would come too; and every time it came it damaged somebody. One trip it "barked" the Secretary's elbow; the next trip it hurt me in the stomach, and the third it tilted Bemis's nose up till he could look down his nostrils—he said. The pistols and coin soon settled to the bottom, but the pipes, pipe-stems, tobacco and canteens clattered and floundered after the Dictionary every time it made an assault on us, and aided and abetted the book by spilling tobacco in our eyes, and water down our backs.
While smoking the pipe of peace after breakfast we watched the sentinel peaks put on the glory of the sun, and followed the conquering light as it swept down among the shadows, and set the captive crags and forests free. We watched the tinted pictures grow and brighten upon the water till every little detail of forest, precipice and pinnacle was wrought in and finished, and the miracle of the enchanter complete.
It was a hard, wearing, toilsome journey, but it had its bright side; for after each day was done and our wolfish hunger appeased with a hot supper of fried bacon, bread, molasses and black coffee, the pipe-smoking, song-singing and yarn-spinning around the evening camp-fire in the still solitudes of the desert was a happy, care-free sort of recreation that seemed the very summit and culmination of earthly luxury.
And it was comfort in those succeeding days to sit up and contemplate the majestic panorama of mountains and valleys spread out below us and eat ham and hard boiled eggs while our spiritual natures revelled alternately in rainbows, thunderstorms, and peerless sunsets. Nothing helps scenery like ham and eggs. Ham and eggs, and after these a pipe—an old, rank, delicious pipe—ham and eggs and scenery, a "down grade," a flying coach, a fragrant pipe and a contented heart—these make happiness. It is what all the ages have struggled for.

Hey fellow smokers, I was wondering if anyone would have a word of experience or an idea for a solution to a problem below;

I'm thinking of stitching together my own pouch for tobacco.
The outer layer would be old natural leather with a kind of elongated "flaps" that can be rolled up so no air travels in and out.

The problem is that leather will certainly not hold moisture and/or will give the tobacco it's flavor.
I can't come up with anything else that it could be lined with, instead of plastic, that would be airtight ? :huh:

Even most plastic is not completely airtight. If it dries out too much you can get a cotton ball wet, squeeze the excess water out of it and put it in with you tobacco In a ziploc bag and it will remoisten.

Mr. Premise said:
Even most plastic is not completely airtight. If it dries out too much you can get a cotton ball wet, squeeze the excess water out of it and put it in with you tobacco In a ziploc bag and it will remoisten.

Thanks for the advice, Mr.Premise. I normally wrap a moist tissue in a small tinfoil envelope and punch a few holes in it, does the job. My main objective, though, was to make a pouch that isn't a box (easier to carry around in a pocket) and equally airtight, but less flimsy than plastic. I guess I'll just have to line it with some thicker foil.

Depends on the time of year too. With all the rain this summer in the northern hemisphere it's like a giant humidor. The winter is when tobacco dries out quickly when you're carrying it around.

ametist said:
Hey fellow smokers, I was wondering if anyone would have a word of experience or an idea for a solution to a problem below;

I'm thinking of stitching together my own pouch for tobacco.
The outer layer would be old natural leather with a kind of elongated "flaps" that can be rolled up so no air travels in and out.

The problem is that leather will certainly not hold moisture and/or will give the tobacco it's flavor.
I can't come up with anything else that it could be lined with, instead of plastic, that would be airtight ? :huh:

Hi ametist,

It's hard to find an air- and moisture-proof material that isn't plastic-y in some way. You might try heavy windbreaker material from an outdoors equipment store and make a lining with that. I have seen simple pouches made that are large enough to contain the original pouch your tobacco comes in. The plastic pouch can be used as the pattern. Add a half centimeter all around plus the seam allowance. When you get a new tobacco pack, you just pop it into your leather pouch and wrap. If you get one of the plastic ones that have a zip-lock closure, it will stay even more fresh. Good idea to make the flap long enough to wrap a second time before it closes. You can also add little pockets for your papers and a lighter.

I would love to see a pic when you get it done!

I've had this steel roller (never used) in the back cupboard and decided to give it a try. It is a Gizeh roller as shown here _http://www.ryomagazine.com/rollers.htm and heck, it does a nice job and holds paper, filters, and a little tobacco inside (enough for brief away times from home).

[quote author=herondancer]

I would love to see a pic when you get it done!
[/quote]

As would it i ametist.

Back
Top Bottom