Smoking is... good?

Indeed. Besides the absurdity of the campaign itself, it is equally absurd to put up with seeing this kind of stuff every time you have a cigarette whether you believe it or not.
Shouldn't everything that's allegedly dangerous have these informative photos on it?
Cars with photographs of massacred families from accidents on doors, knives with bloody wounds on the package, bicycles with etiquetes of open bone breaks.. the list can go on and on.. :knitting:

ametist said:
Well that's the best news I have seen since getting to know that smoking tobacco can be healthy.
In UK 50 gram pouch of Golden Virginia costs 18 pounds, it isn't much better in the rest of europe, thus the pureleaf option is not of this by far the best way to get good tobacco in Europe, IMO.

Cool. Looking at their website, if you order more than £50 worth you get free shipping which could save a lot. If you like Golden Virginia, you would want a blend heavy on the American Virginia Flue Cured Bright Leaf. To balance the sweet Virginia flavor, I like to blend in about 20% of Turkish Izmir, which gives it some floral overtones, and 20% toasted Burley (for the bass notes!). That's a so-called American style cigarette. But the Bright Leaf is delicious on it's own. I toast Burley by spreading shredded Burley on an oven-safe plate, spraying it with a mix of 8 oz. water, a teaspoon of honey, and some licorice extract, but if you want additive-free, plain water will work. The sugar lowers the pH of the smoke to make it less harsh. The oven should be heated to 120C and the tobacco left in there for just enough time to dry. You can flip it over once. Ains soon as it is dry, take it out, put it in an airtight container and spray it lightly with the solution again and let sit overnight. Smooth, chocolaty Burley.

Mr. Premise said:
ametist said:
Well that's the best news I have seen since getting to know that smoking tobacco can be healthy.
In UK 50 gram pouch of Golden Virginia costs 18 pounds, it isn't much better in the rest of europe, thus the pureleaf option is not of this by far the best way to get good tobacco in Europe, IMO.

Cool. Looking at their website, if you order more than £50 worth you get free shipping which could save a lot. If you like Golden Virginia, you would want a blend heavy on the American Virginia Flue Cured Bright Leaf. To balance the sweet Virginia flavor, I like to blend in about 20% of Turkish Izmir, which gives it some floral overtones, and 20% toasted Burley (for the bass notes!). That's a so-called American style cigarette. But the Bright Leaf is delicious on it's own. I toast Burley by spreading shredded Burley on an oven-safe plate, spraying it with a mix of 8 oz. water, a teaspoon of honey, and some licorice extract, but if you want additive-free, plain water will work. The sugar lowers the pH of the smoke to make it less harsh. The oven should be heated to 120C and the tobacco left in there for just enough time to dry. You can flip it over once. Ains soon as it is dry, take it out, put it in an airtight container and spray it lightly with the solution again and let sit overnight. Smooth, chocolaty Burley.
Also, I noticed they sell Fire Cured. I have some of that stuff. It's amazing for Dutch style cigarette blends and pipe tobacco. For the Dutch Halfzware style, just mix half Fire Cured and half Flue Cured Bright Leaf.

:D Thanks a big lot mr.Premise!
I was unaware of the complexity of blending process to achieve a variety of tastes, this opens up much more than just a chance to get some genuine leaf tobacco and is very exciting, and very good to know, I will take your advice into account when ordering.
I'm currently sticking to organic Manitou tobacco that claims to have no additives of any kind whatsoever and does taste and feel like it, but oh the mighty price (12€/35gr)
I'm wondering about even the homemade additives, though; do some undesired substances not go into your lungs?

ametist said:
:D Thanks a big lot mr.Premise!
I was unaware of the complexity of blending process to achieve a variety of tastes, this opens up much more than just a chance to get some genuine leaf tobacco and is very exciting, and very good to know, I will take your advice into account when ordering.
I'm currently sticking to organic Manitou tobacco that claims to have no additives of any kind whatsoever and does taste and feel like it, but oh the mighty price (12€/35gr)
I'm wondering about even the homemade additives, though; do some undesired substances not go into your lungs?
Maybe some undesirables, I don't know. But there is already a lot of sugar in flue cured anyway. That's why it's so smooth. But you can leave it out if you want. The licorice is not necessary either.

Yeah I might keep it clean, but I have to get educated well about the properties of different blends and drying methods. And actually I prefer when tobacco is a little rough on the back of the throat, I hope that either isn't too bad.
It all sounds just like a promised land of smoking :cool2: if done right.
Very useful introductory info you've provided here.

ametist said:
Yeah I might keep it clean, but I have to get educated well about the properties of different blends and drying methods. And actually I prefer when tobacco is a little rough on the back of the throat, I hope that either isn't too bad.
It all sounds just like a promised land of smoking :cool2: if done right.
Very useful introductory info you've provided here.
That 'throat hit' you're talking about is provided by the Burley. Toasting reduces it, so you could try blending in some untoasted Burley and see if you like it.

Took the advice offered here and ordered a mixed starter pack of leaf - it arrived and have yet to try it. There has been a number of links provided for shredders that they were ordering or thinking of ordering; if not using scissors, and my question is, has anyone been using one that is sturdy and reliable for any length of time that they would recommend?

Thanks.

voyageur said:
Took the advice offered here and ordered a mixed starter pack of leaf - it arrived and have yet to try it. There has been a number of links provided for shredders that they were ordering or thinking of ordering; if not using scissors, and my question is, has anyone been using one that is sturdy and reliable for any length of time that they would recommend?

Thanks.
The Powermatic shredder is sturdy and reliable and works great. It costs a lot though.

[quote author=Mr. Premise ]
The Powermatic shredder is sturdy and reliable and works great. It costs a lot though.
[/quote]

It looks really good, and just briefly looking, the range seems to be between $250 to > $450 (must be different models), so yes, pricy.

Thanks.

voyageur said:

Thanks.
I have the manual shredder from leafonly. It looks very sturdy, steel with not alot of moving parts, and has been very easy for me to use. As long as you don't mind a little elbow grease prepping, removing the stems,etc., it's fairly painless and relatively quick. :cool:

[quote author=sbeaudry ]
I have the manual shredder from leafonly. It looks very sturdy, steel with not alot of moving parts, and has been very easy for me to use. As long as you don't mind a little elbow grease prepping, removing the stems,etc., it's fairly painless and relatively quick. :cool:
[/quote]

Ok, had a look at these and here are some of the basic choices:

Think sbeaudry you are referring to the 'M10', it looks very simple and seems to do a good job - and nothing wrong with doing the labour. Cost at Leafonly, is $ 49.99, so you could go through a few of these before spending more dollars on an electric one. _http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ir7-gfq3Ni8

This one is the Powermatic noted in the above thread (it says it can handle some stems), does a nice consistent job it seems. _http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fkM19iJzZbg Cost is stated as being $274.99

The TREZO _http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ab3P4IgM_mo or another one (T-180) that looks exactly the same as the Trezo, overlaid with a brand sticker _http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gWWc07J7HbA and seems heavy duty; which may include the price, as i've not found it yet.

The pasta maker type - _http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vvCiGLZ4M5o is what i have (mentioned elsewhere) and really (or may be it was just the one i have), if stems find there way in, or after repeated work, the internal gearing and other mechanisms become stressed and easily bend or fall off - so quality/reliability comes to play.

Thanks for the help on sussing these out.

I know that there are earlier comments regarding electronic cigarettes on this thread, but I wanted to revisit the subject to ask for advice or comments from the forum.

I have been using en e-cigarette for several weeks as nicotine helps with pain management. I can't use any tobacco products as they are contraindicated for anyone with spinal disorders. I am also prone to asthma.

The only 2 substances in the cartridges of the device are the nicotine itself and propylene glycol (PG). The PG acts as a carrier for the nicotine, allowing the liquid nicotine to vaporize and hence be inhaled. I have done some research on PG and all studies, going back to the 1940s, found it to be completely inert - it doesn't react with anything and passes through the body completely unchanged.

On the assumption that all the studies about PG are correct, does anyone know of any other reason why I shouldn't use electronic cigarettes as a nicotine delivery mechanism?

Thanks

Eúnan

ec1968 said:
I know that there are earlier comments regarding electronic cigarettes on this thread, but I wanted to revisit the subject to ask for advice or comments from the forum.

I have been using en e-cigarette for several weeks as nicotine helps with pain management. I can't use any tobacco products as they are contraindicated for anyone with spinal disorders. I am also prone to asthma.

The only 2 substances in the cartridges of the device are the nicotine itself and propylene glycol (PG). The PG acts as a carrier for the nicotine, allowing the liquid nicotine to vaporize and hence be inhaled. I have done some research on PG and all studies, going back to the 1940s, found it to be completely inert - it doesn't react with anything and passes through the body completely unchanged.

On the assumption that all the studies about PG are correct, does anyone know of any other reason why I shouldn't use electronic cigarettes as a nicotine delivery mechanism?

Thanks

Eúnan

Personally, I think that PG is very safe. Don't see any reason why you shouldn't use electronic cigarettes.

I've switched to Mac Baren Original roll your own and I notice that it seems
to have less chemicals then what I've previously smoked. Just need to get my rolling skill up.

Back
Top Bottom