Smoking is... good?

Not all flavors have MSGin them. MSG type substances are used in savory foods (salty, sour) not sweet foods and they put flavorings in ecig liquids to it has some flavor in it. So depending on the type of food, flavorings CAN equal MSG but not necessarily.

Mr. Premise said:
Not all flavors have MSGin them. MSG type substances are used in savory foods (salty, sour) not sweet foods and they put flavorings in ecig liquids to it has some flavor in it. So depending on the type of food, flavorings CAN equal MSG but not necessarily.

I realize you are just clarifying your earlier point but don't worry, your earlier point made perfect sense. I just think it might be possible to identify brands that use MSG, or any harmful flavoring ingredients, and eliminate them from a list of possibly safe e-juices.

Mr. Premise said:

If it just says "flavors", how do you know whether it has MSG in it or not? I'd think it would be better to err on the side of caution and avoid any mention of flavoring than the opposite.

Mr. Premise said:

This is not about ecigs, but about sweet foods, if you want to call them foods, that contain things that contain processed free glutamic acid (MSG). They're called "tricky", or "sneaky", or "hidden" names, or sources, for MSG. One of them is modified food starch, another is flavoring.

I looked up the ingredients for the candy Starburst to see what was in it and listed there is 'food starch - modified'.

I just don't want people to think that if it's sweet, it won't contain MSG.

Here's the link for hidden sources of MSG:

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Gonzo said:
I recently started using plastic filter tips (brand name: The Original Tarless Filter).

They are reminiscent of cigarette holders of bygone days but are only an inch or so long.

They are designed to reduce tar by means of a small insert with tiny holes that let's the smoke pass through, leaving behind quite a bit of tar. I am using them to hopefully capture any particles from the cigarette's filter or, when I rip off the filter, I use the plastic filter to stop bits of tobacco from going into my mouth.
These are disposable and tend to get clogged after the 5th smoke and start to affect taste after the third (smell and taste like I imagine the experience of licking an ashtray might be like).

There are perhaps 25 in a box and are usually sold in tobacco shops.

Drawback...they're plastic. Although they don't get hot, who knows what toxins they release.
They have, however, inspired me to think of a more neutral material. I'm thinking perhaps of carving a stone cigarette holder. It would only hold the cigarette and might feel quite nice in the hand. Or it might be too heavy and look strange. I will have to experiment.

Gonzo
I am still not sure how one can says smoking is good.. It is good for nothing..It will take you to painful death..

Hi!

Can anyone post the link to the online shop that sell organic tobacco leaves? I've come across it a couple of times here but am failing to find it again.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback or advice: I quit smoking 16 years ago after have been a heavy smoker for the same amount of time. I used to smoke a well known brand and at my ‘peak’ often over 40 a day and even up to 60 – and never experienced any side effects (apart from obviously the impact on my system of all those detrimental chemicals they contained). At the time I was glad to have conquered my addiction and have never since been tempted to return to the habit.

Having digested the research on the forum about the benefits of smoking, and in particular the importance for potential protection from certain viruses as well as potential mental heath benefits, I recently decided to experiment with returning to the weed but in a purer form. Having given up alcohol for the past 5 months as well as all caffeine and most gluten/carbs along with certain other dietary changes, I felt that it could well be an important tool (as well as a relaxant and a friendly companion!) So for about two weeks now I have been rolling 2-3 a day using American Spirit. I am enjoying the tobacco (even if I am not the best at rolling my own!) The problem however is that I often get an extraordinary rolling rush to the head that literally would see me faint/pass out if I did not sit down or find another support such as a wall. It is extraordinarily intense, boarding on the nauseous. The effect can last for several minutes and is totally disorientating and very uncomfortable (the feeling often torrents into my lower limbs as well). Is this normal? Has/does anyone else experience this on the brand? Is this a sign that my system is just not suited to smoking anymore? It's making me doubt the value of this change. Thank you for any thoughts. :)

Michael BC said:
Is this normal? Has/does anyone else experience this on the brand? Is this a sign that my system is just not suited to smoking anymore? It's making me doubt the value of this change. Thank you for any thoughts. :)

Just thinking out loud here, and considering the possibility that it isn't a reaction to the brand itself.

It's possible that what you are experiencing is your system getting used to again to the greater activation of Acetylcholine. Nicotine mimics Acetylcholine's nicotine receptors and increases them, and Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that lowers heart rate and blood pressure among other useful things, like memory regulation, sleep, etc. So maybe what you are experiencing is the side effect of this activation.

Keit said:
Michael BC said:
Is this normal? Has/does anyone else experience this on the brand? Is this a sign that my system is just not suited to smoking anymore? It's making me doubt the value of this change. Thank you for any thoughts. :)

Just thinking out loud here, and considering the possibility that it isn't a reaction to the brand itself.

It's possible that what you are experiencing is your system getting used to again to the greater activation of Acetylcholine. Nicotine mimics Acetylcholine's nicotine receptors and increases them, and Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that lowers heart rate and blood pressure among other useful things, like memory regulation, sleep, etc. So maybe what you are experiencing is the side effect of this activation.

Thank you Keit. Yes, I had wondered that myself. I am just shocked that the effect could be so strong, almost to the point of overwhelming. To be honest it feels almost like an out of body experience bordering on the transcendental! Hopefully it will settle down in that I can't be passing out every time I have a smoke; yesterday I was outside a busy restaurant when it happened and I would have undoubtedly hit the deck with full force - for my legs completely buckled and all balance went - if I hadn't pitched myself against a wall and waited the full five minutes it took to settle down. I could see that people were staring at me as if I were drunk! I never knew 'plain' tobacco could have such an effect (and I certainly felt nothing like it on my 2 packets a day all those years ago!)

It is the memory and sleep regulation that I am most interested in so I will monitor those and see what transpires. Again thanks for feedback.

I get that as well Michael BC, but only if I haven't smoked for a couple of hours (during daytime). In my case though, it's not that bad, I get a bit lightheadedness, and feel imbalanced for a minute or two. Not sure if I remember it well, but I once read that nicotine stays in the body for about an hour. I don't know how many ciggies you smoke, but perhaps smoking a cigarette at least every hour can help your system get used to it again. But, do be careful, I'd say do it when you're in a safe environment! If it gets too uncomfortable, and you don't see any improvement, then perhaps it might be better to quit, or to try other brands (that are less strong).

Michael BC said:
Keit said:
Michael BC said:

Thank you Keit. Yes, I had wondered that myself. I am just shocked that the effect could be so strong, almost to the point of overwhelming. To be honest it feels almost like an out of body experience bordering on the transcendental! Hopefully it will settle down in that I can't be passing out every time I have a smoke; yesterday I was outside a busy restaurant when it happened and I would have undoubtedly hit the deck with full force - for my legs completely buckled and all balance went - if I hadn't pitched myself against a wall and waited the full five minutes it took to settle down. I could see that people were staring at me as if I were drunk! I never knew 'plain' tobacco could have such an effect (and I certainly felt nothing like it on my 2 packets a day all those years ago!)

It is the memory and sleep regulation that I am most interested in so I will monitor those and see what transpires. Again thanks for feedback.
As per your comments, Keit & Michael BC, this sounds like a common 'reaction' when you your body isn't used to nicotine. Similar to effect experienced when i first tried tobacco, but also if i haven't had tobacco in a while (the morning) / roll them too wide (more nicotine) / the time i tried snuss (higher/faster delivery in nicotine content). Whether it's your blood pressure or the stimulant effect i can't say, and to be honest hadn't considered.

What i've found helps is: rolling with longing tips (i use non bleached papers and the card board that comes with it) to cool the smoke and maybe add more oxygen, and probably taking short puffs helps to mitigate any 'overload'. But again, it's probably you're body readjusting to the experience of nicotine. And in the beginning you may not feel the need for much, and some people smoke only a few times a day, others more so; i've found the more i am working/thinking, the more i will smoke. This could be due to stress but also the effect it has on my cognition.

Nicotine can be quite stimulating and therefore, for me, it can disturb my feeling of sleepiness (which can be useful), but everybody is different and sometimes if i smoke in the morning i get the feeling where i want to lie down and go back to sleep. The buzz i guess.

Thanks Itellsya and Oxajil. God, I feel like a novice child again! Having been a 'pro' smoker all those years ago I didn’t factor in the likely transition period to getting back onto nicotine. I have deliberately only been smoking 2-3 a day because of the fear I have of becoming addicted again to the act of smoking rather than merely benefitting from the therapeutic effects of the compounds. Having previously smoked 40+ I have no intention of going back to that kind of a pattern (although on reflection I don’t think the me I am now would let that happen, nor do I think the satisfaction self rolled real tobacco gives lead to anything like that number). Spacing the smokes 3-4 hours apart may well be the source of the problem so I’ll look at that, although my wife is extremely anxious about me taking it up again after all these years and so I don’t want to spook her further . I have also not being using any kind of a filter (so as to avoid any pollutants/chemicals) so perhaps I need to look at the delivery issue more carefully.

Hi Michael BC,

Kind of agree with others, it may be this reintroduction in small quantities firing your transmitters, which your not used to. Even smoking a fair bit, sometimes the first one of the morning has similar, yet lesser effects and then as the day progresses, it is not felt again. As for the brand, it is worth considering. For me, blending 3 - 4 different varieties of tobacco is like cooking, trying to find the right amount for each variety. Sometimes I get it wrong and the tobacco mixture is too strong and can produce dizzying effects; not to mention the harshness. It is all kind of experimentation to find your particular comfort-zone.

KenStoudrs said:
I am still not sure how one can says smoking is good.. It is good for nothing..It will take you to painful death..

Welcome KenStoudrs, to the forum.

If you get the chance, if not already, have a good read through this thread material and search in SoTT.net for many articles concerning the benefits of smoking; and this is in respect to clean unadulterated tobacco. For many, it may not be for them, yet for many, smoking has excellent benefits.

Also, it is customary to make an introductory post in the newbies section of the forum.

Again, welcome! :welcome:

Michael BC said:
I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback or advice: I quit smoking 16 years ago after have been a heavy smoker for the same amount of time. I used to smoke a well known brand and at my ‘peak’ often over 40 a day and even up to 60 – and never experienced any side effects (apart from obviously the impact on my system of all those detrimental chemicals they contained). At the time I was glad to have conquered my addiction and have never since been tempted to return to the habit.

Having digested the research on the forum about the benefits of smoking, and in particular the importance for potential protection from certain viruses as well as potential mental heath benefits, I recently decided to experiment with returning to the weed but in a purer form. Having given up alcohol for the past 5 months as well as all caffeine and most gluten/carbs along with certain other dietary changes, I felt that it could well be an important tool (as well as a relaxant and a friendly companion!) So for about two weeks now I have been rolling 2-3 a day using American Spirit. I am enjoying the tobacco (even if I am not the best at rolling my own!) The problem however is that I often get an extraordinary rolling rush to the head that literally would see me faint/pass out if I did not sit down or find another support such as a wall. It is extraordinarily intense, boarding on the nauseous. The effect can last for several minutes and is totally disorientating and very uncomfortable (the feeling often torrents into my lower limbs as well). Is this normal? Has/does anyone else experience this on the brand? Is this a sign that my system is just not suited to smoking anymore? It's making me doubt the value of this change. Thank you for any thoughts. :)

Until your body gets used to the increased acetylcholine, Michael, it would be a good idea to smoke while sitting down. Falling down while smoking would really spook your wife.

Back
Top Bottom