Smoking is... good?

Mr. Premise said:
Cigars would be a good way to start, because since you don't inhale them, you get less nicotine absorbed slower.
How do I smoke a cigar? Never smoked cigarettes or cigars before. With ebola in Texas, spouse has given the green light to try cigars.

hlat said:
Mr. Premise said:
Cigars would be a good way to start, because since you don't inhale them, you get less nicotine absorbed slower.
How do I smoke a cigar? Never smoked cigarettes or cigars before. With ebola in Texas, spouse has given the green light to try cigars.

Pull the smoke in your mouth, hold it in there for a couple seconds, and blow it out. The nicotine from the smoke is absorbed through the cheeks. If you have not smoked before, I suggest NOT trying to inhale. Try cigarillos or smaller cigars at first, since if you try to smoke a full cigar your first time you are liable to get light-headed.

hlat said:
Mr. Premise said:
Just cut off a small piece at the end (if it's closed and rounded). Light it up evenly, then puff on it. As a beginner you definitely don't want to inhale. I never inhale cigars anyway, the varieties of tobacco used in cigars are high pH compared to cigarette tobacco. Makes it much harsher to inhale, but allows the nicotine to be absorbed in the mouth. For low pH smoke, you have to inhale to best absorb the nicotine. Also as a beginner, you shouldn't smoke the whole thing at once. I would start with smaller size ones.

Most pipe tobaccos are the same...start by puffing into the cheeks. I'm a half and halfer, half of the puffs are inhaled, half are held in the cheeks.

FWIW, I've smoked cigars, cigarettes and pipes, and the pipe is my preferred implement.

Not sure how to present this. A friend of mine has a garden (that is bigger than my house), anyway there were these little black bugs that were being evil to her tomato and potato plants ... so we did a bunch of research and we learned lots. Random bug loves eating nightshades, eats so much that birds and what-not no longer eat them. Tobacco is also a nightshade. At this point we can understand that nicotine is a poison, it is, but I smoke like that little bug eats and for probably the same reason ... to make myself poison to that which would feed on me.

highmystica said:
Not sure how to present this. A friend of mine has a garden (that is bigger than my house), anyway there were these little black bugs that were being evil to her tomato and potato plants ... so we did a bunch of research and we learned lots. Random bug loves eating nightshades, eats so much that birds and what-not no longer eat them. Tobacco is also a nightshade. At this point we can understand that nicotine is a poison, it is, but I smoke like that little bug eats and for probably the same reason ... to make myself poison to that which would feed on me.

Very interesting analogy. I wonder if there is any truth to it in this respect?

I've started browsing the whole leaf tobacco website, and MAN there's a ton of varieties. I'm actually a little overwhelmed. :ohboy:
Is there a variety anyone could recommend for people new to rolling? I enjoy the mildness of Yuma (in Canada), is there something vaguely similar to it or nicer?

_http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/

whitecoast said:
I've started browsing the whole leaf tobacco website, and MAN there's a ton of varieties. I'm actually a little overwhelmed. :ohboy:
Is there a variety anyone could recommend for people new to rolling? I enjoy the mildness of Yuma (in Canada), is there something vaguely similar to it or nicer?

They used to have a starter pack and than blending it together is a trial and error lesson of what you feel comfortable with. Leaf sometimes comes with a designation of being "light" or "full bodied" with a nicotine value (low/high). Some describe a leaf as being "first cut" etc. Fwiw, would try and acquire three or four varieties and than experiment. Cut up a small portion of each and than blend until what you have feels comfortable.

PS. I still sometimes buy Yuma's and although they are a good alternative in a pinch, smoking what you cut and blend is, for me anyway, always preferable.

whitecoast said:

Most of those varieties are cigar varieties. If I remember how Yuma tastes correctly, I would order Virginia Bright Leaf, Lemon Virginia, Turkish Prilep, and the organic Burley. Aim for about 60-70% Virginia types and the rest a mix of the Turkish and Burley. The Turkish Izmir is pretty good, too.

Started Smoking today.

I hope it is okay to write it on here.

After reading so much about health-benefits of tobacco on Sott and on this Forum also,I tried it.
Tough, as a non-smoker all of my life, there were some issues that occured when I first inhaled tobacco(American Spirit). Only smoked two cigarettes for first time.
When the smoke entered my lungs it felt a bit like there were tiny needles entering my lungs (it did hurt much).
Then after some short time I got really dizzy and a bit nauseous,but walked on.
Some 40 minutes later i got a bit diarrhea.
After all I hope to get "tobacco-adapted" as soon as possible (smoking the next time tomorrow,I think).

Anyone knows how Long to be "adapted"?

Thanks much

nyvf5 said:
Anyone knows how Long to be "adapted"?

Hey I started smoking 'bidis' (tobacco rolled in leaves) while in India for about a month, when I came back home I found normal additive free tobacco difficult to adjust to, it probably took about two months, give or take a few weeks, to get used to...

I was also a non-smoker and suffered some of the same symptoms, but I took it slowly, had one or two cigarettes a day and eventually reached my preferred amount, about 7 cigarettes per day, maybe more if I am thinking, reading or drawing... I personally don't like American spirit, it still makes me feel sick today, I find it quite harsh so I swapped to an unbranded additive free tobacco.

p.s this is just my own personal experience so it will probably be different for everyone, hope this helps:)

Thorn said:
I personally don't like American spirit, it still makes me feel sick today, I find it quite harsh so I swapped to an unbranded additive free tobacco.

Yeah, American Spirit is quite harsh. You can try making sure it is hydrated enough. Put it in a jar with a wet paper towel on the mouth overnight or a few hours. If it gets too moist and clumpy, just let air out a little. You can also use peppermint oil and apply it to the tobacco and mix it up, or put a little on your finger (1 drop) and rub it along the cigarette. Be careful with applying it to one cigarette, as you can make it too minty and it will be "spicy hot".

3D Student said:
Thorn said:
I personally don't like American spirit, it still makes me feel sick today, I find it quite harsh so I swapped to an unbranded additive free tobacco.

Yeah, American Spirit is quite harsh. You can try making sure it is hydrated enough. Put it in a jar with a wet paper towel on the mouth overnight or a few hours. If it gets too moist and clumpy, just let air out a little. You can also use peppermint oil and apply it to the tobacco and mix it up, or put a little on your finger (1 drop) and rub it along the cigarette. Be careful with applying it to one cigarette, as you can make it too minty and it will be "spicy hot".

I also find them harsh. But let me ask you guys, have you tried an alternate version of AS? I started off on the yellow pack (was practically nauseous after not smoking for ten & a bit years) but I can now tolerate them to a degree (roll 'em tight & small instead of long & loose-ish) as the hit of nicotine is reduced. But I stumbled upon a burgundy pack (burgundy strips on both sides, yellow middle, Google "American spirit rolling tobacco" for images) months ago which was mild.... & a thoroughly lovely smoke, no head rush, tastes good, smells good. Unfortunately I haven't found it again & I've searched many shops (I don't do credit cards so I'm restricted to physical shopping or Amazon) to no avail. :(

I'm gonna try the wet paper towel tip & I've actually got peppermint oil so I can try that as well. The instructions said to dilute the oil when using so I'll dab a bit on my finger, then rub a drop of water into it before application. Thanks for the tips! :cool2:

Ascien said:
(I don't do credit cards so I'm restricted to physical shopping or Amazon) to no avail. :(

Just a thought here, as I don't do credit cards either. Is it possible for you to purchase a visa or whatever gift card, and then use that for an online transaction? I've never found anything online that I JUST HAD to purchase this way, but that's my idea if I ever did.

Back
Top Bottom