Smoking is... good?

Well, if you can avoid smoking at work, and any blood/urine analysis, ...lying is certainly an option. Like you say, you can always admit you started back up later for myriad reasons, if caught down the road.

I remember a friend who was a non-drinker and he discovered his car insurance company had a discount for teetotalers, so he signed some declaration that he would never drink while a policy holder.

Since insurance is in the risk business but has to compete against others, it makes sense that they would feel, believing mainstream medical science, that encouraging non-smoking increase life expectancy, decreases respiratory and other diseases, and therefore reduces the chance of payouts. They are as blind to the lies as anyone else, I bet.

They merely look at statistics, analyze risk and assess maximum profits through premium rates.

If they actually knew that smokers of non-adulterated tobacco (and paper) might have lower incidences of disease, accidents and shorter life expectancy, they might actually encourage such smoking.

At least that's my logic talking with limited knowledge. There may be factors I hadn't considered.

Gonzo

Don't forget that the insurer could deny you your benefits
due to clauses clearly spelt out - i.e. no smoking, drinking,
whatever. Read the fine print, consult your lawyer, before
attempting to lie to yourself and others - perhaps you might
shoot yourself in your own foot? If you smoke, you pay more
and how much more is it? Is it worth the risk? Think carefully.

if it is a forced "no smoking requirement", consult your lawyer...

FWIW,
Dan

dant said:
Don't forget that the insurer could deny you your benefits
due to clauses clearly spelt out - i.e. no smoking, drinking,
whatever. Read the fine print, consult your lawyer, before
attempting to lie to yourself and others - perhaps you might
shoot yourself in your own foot? If you smoke, you pay more
and how much more is it? Is it worth the risk? Think carefully.

if it is a forced "no smoking requirement", consult your lawyer...

FWIW,
Dan

Hi, Dan:

Yes, I will probably be truthful. I have several months to consider. The way business is going it may be moot.
The way the letter reads it sounds like you get a discount if you take the pledge though they might raise the rates and then offer a discount.
I plan to meet with an attorney regarding my car accident settlement so I will probably raise this topic with him at that time.

Mac

Mac said:
I plan to meet with an attorney regarding my car accident settlement so I will probably raise this topic with him at that time.

Mac

Hi Mac,

I think that consulting your attorney is a good idea. Better to know exactly what your rights are before deciding how to handle this.

Sorry you have to deal with this, it's absolutely infuriating and it still boggles my mind how so many people are more than happy to go along with this type of state control of their lives!

And here I've been all my life telling others that smoking is not good for you! Ha, I suppose it has some benefit if you don't want to be eaten. My mind is now opening up to even more intriguing subjects. Never have I thought that I'd come across this topic but certainly all the better off for having done so.

Thanks Laura!

It's good to see some honest information on this topic. The way I started smoking was the most strange experience. I had always been anti-smoking most of my teenage years. Then one day when I was about 22 I had a dream that I really wanted to smoke (never ever smoked in life before). This was out of no where, no social pressure or peer pressure of any sort just an extremely strong urge. The best way is to explain this is the way one feels extremely thirsty during a dream so the first thing you do is drink a glass of water. The first day I ignored it. I had the same/similar dream again, the next day the urge was even stronger. This continued for couple of more days. The urge was just stronger and stronger. It felt as if I was someone who had been smoking for ages and was actually trying to quit hence having the cravings. So I finally gave in and decided to have a smoke and bought my first packet of smokes (lights). That first puff was just divine.
Now I am a light - moderate smoker (1-3 cigs a day) and don't usually feel the need to smoke on the weekends.

I have always wondered why did I have such an experience? Why did I ever start smoking? and why like this?

Reading the articles has been helpful but some more insight would be appreciated.

Hi galaxy29,

Welcome to the forum. :) We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, and how they found their way here. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

I quit to Smoke about 8 years ago because I began to feel a fast beat in my heart when I smoke so I got freak, it was like a fast change of my heart beat so I have never never smoke again... now I read that it is good to smoke but after all this time I can not touch it :P

I used to smoke after my meal at night and when I was tense it was good the sensation because I instantly was calm... :cool2: good....

i personally was a non smoker until about a few months back (i'm approaching my thirties). As i read the forum posts and what the Cs and Laura said on the subject, I came to see that the issue was quite complicated. So one fine day (a few months back now), I decided to try my first experiment with a cigarette! Went to the nearby 7/11 (it was 10pm) and got a brand called 'harvest', the purest tobacco I could find. I still remember the first cigarette I had, it seemed to come very naturally. Now (already a 4 month 'veteran' lol) I'm averaging 3-6 roll-your-owns a day (the mini size ones) and it feels like i've been doing this for years already :)

Anyone have a comment about this 'Harvest' Brand? Its a EU brand from the Von Eicken group.

I ran into a major problem with smoking recently.

I began smoking about 6 months ago using only non additive tobacco. No cough or congestion was evident until about 3 weeks ago. In fact I coughed less after beginning smoking than before.

About three weeks ago I started to feel congestion in my lungs and noticeable cough. The congestion and cough continued to get worse until I became very sick and feverish. I stopped smoking about 4 days ago. The situation did not improve after I stopped smoking.

I went to a doctor yesterday. After examination he said that I was on the verge of pneumonia. He thought perhaps it started as a cold and became a lung infection. He also used words like COPD. I did not tell him about my recent smoking because I did not want that to color the entire conversation. I smoked major brand cigarettes until 1982, not smoking again until recently.

Several things happened in the period just before the congestion began. I tried AS Organic lot#1440. It was the best tasting tobacco I had found. I loved it. I smoked it almost exclusively in the 2 weeks prior to when the congestion began. Perhaps there is something in it that I am allergic to, don't know. After the troubles began I switched back to other AS varieties but the congestion got steadily worse.

About the same time I started with AS organic 1440 there was a customer in the store with a heavy cough. He was one of those people that stands very close to you when he talks and he was hacking the whole time. If he had something infectious I was definitely exposed.

These two things may have contributed to what occurred, I am trying to sort it out. I've also thought that my long smoking main brand cigarettes, though ended long ago, may have caused damage to my lungs that was made evident by starting again even with non additive tobacco. I am also exposed to various airborne toxins at work daily. Maybe it was all these things together.

The doctor prescribed an antibiotic and a steroid (to reduce inflammation) and left me with a strongly worded warning that if this did not clear up in 7-10 days I should come back. I am taking probiotics to counter the effects of the antibiotic.

FWIW I have not had any withdrawal symptoms since stopping smoking. I dearly miss it at times I enjoyed it most, like just before meals.

I've been using Swedish snus since I stopped smoking. Enjoyable but it ain't a smoke!

I'll see how it goes from here. Any suggestions are definitely welcome.

Mac

Hi Mac
I'm not sure how it all started, but wanted to say that taking a large dose (2-4grams) every few hours of vitimin C (take enough that your stomach gurgles, but no more or you get a laxative effect), and taking NAC (orally or in a nebuliser) is really useful for clearing up lung infections.

Hope you get better soon!

When I am smoking, I always have a glass of water
besides me, so that I can remember to drink more
often and it helps to keep my mouth "lubricated" from
the bitterness of nicotine. It also helps to reduce the
phlegm. But occasionally, I would also have a glass of
orange juice when my mouth gets dry or sore from the
heat and/or nicotine but this does not happen that often,
but when it does, it is soothing.

I also try to pay attention to my body signals: fatigue,
head aches, tiredness, sore throats, what have you, and
on recognizing the outset of these symptoms, I would
immediately go to the cupboard, get out the Vitamin-C,
drop 3/4 teaspoon into a glass of lukewarm water and drink
it down. Then I would rest. I usually do this just before
going to bed, but not always. As for the amount of VC,
your "mileage" may vary.

I think the key is to catch these symptoms as early as
possible and to treat these symptoms right away. Do
not postpone these warning signals. If VC does not
help reduce these symptoms or you feel yourself worsen,
then at this point, it may be best to seek out a doctor.

Remember - the C's say: use moderation when smoking
so we need to make sure we do not over do it and I have
over done it many times, so pay attention to what our
body is telling us, and treat it right away, or so I think.

FWIW,
Dan

RedFox said:
Hi Mac
I'm not sure how it all started, but wanted to say that taking a large dose (2-4grams) every few hours of vitimin C (take enough that your stomach gurgles, but no more or you get a laxative effect), and taking NAC (orally or in a nebuliser) is really useful for clearing up lung infections.

Hope you get better soon!

I've been taking NAC and reduced glutathione for some time, haven't thought of using it in a nebuliser. Might get it to place needed.
I take powdered C mixed in water morning and night. Will increase the dose, see if that will help get things under control. I feel better today. Temperature is down, still coughing some but not as deeply.

dant said:
Remember - the C's say: use moderation when smoking
so we need to make sure we do not over do it and I have
over done it many times, so pay attention to what our
body is telling us, and treat it right away, or so I think.

FWIW,
Dan

You could be right here. I likely haven't paid close enough attention to my body signals. If I choose to start again it will be cautiously, thoughtfully and being more awake to the process.

Mac

Mac said:
I ran into a major problem with smoking recently.

I began smoking about 6 months ago using only non additive tobacco. No cough or congestion was evident until about 3 weeks ago. In fact I coughed less after beginning smoking than before.

Well, in Colorado, the AS organic rolling tobacco was pulled from the shelves recently (at least at 2 shops checked). According to a store employee, they have to take the word organic off the label - but I'm not sure if that is actually the truth or not. A smoker I know was experiencing inflammation and back pain while smoking the AS organic brand, but when she switched to DRUM, the back pain disappeared. Not sure if there is a direct correlation since she's not tested AS organic again, but it sure looks like there might be. Perhaps AS organic tobacco isn't what it appears to be?

Well, in Colorado, the AS organic rolling tobacco was pulled from the shelves recently (at least at 2 shops checked). According to a store employee, they have to take the word organic off the label - but I'm not sure if that is actually the truth or not. A smoker I know was experiencing inflammation and back pain while smoking the AS organic brand, but when she switched to DRUM, the back pain disappeared. Not sure if there is a direct correlation since she's not tested AS organic again, but it sure looks like there might be. Perhaps AS organic tobacco isn't what it appears to be?

That's weird. I smoke the U.S. grown rolling tobacco and I never have any problems. I've also smoked the organic filters and never had those symptoms ever.

Back
Top Bottom