Smoking is... good?

moksha said:
i used to have the soggy problem but since then ive learned
to keep my lips dry while smoking and it is no longer a problem.

In other words, stop drooling? :lol:

When I smoke a pipe, occasionally I find myself
drooling as well... and perhaps, drooling is normal
as the mouth waters itself, but what do I know?!

Interesting observation though! :cool:

[Off Topic, but cool anyway?]

Speaking of smoking though, and for those
whom have learned to blow smoke rings, I
wanted to add, that it is interesting to see
the interaction between two or more smoke
rings formed by blowing smoke rings inside
one another. You will need a static airflow
room though to see the "smoke dance" and
entropy. Smoking is sooo cool, but perhaps
not everyone agrees :cool2:

dant said:
[Off Topic, but cool anyway?]

Speaking of smoking though, and for those
whom have learned to blow smoke rings, I
wanted to add, that it is interesting to see
the interaction between two or more smoke
rings formed by blowing smoke rings inside
one another. You will need a static airflow
room though to see the "smoke dance" and
entropy. Smoking is sooo cool, but perhaps
not everyone agrees :cool2:

lol at the drooling joke dant :) could it be that some people naturally drool more? i wonder why ;)

oh smoke rings are cool, but i could never get them. do you do them from a heavy smoke 'thing' like cigar or pipe? and what's that elusive secret technique, pray tell :)

The key to blowing smoke rings is mostly
in the tongue. The tongue itself, is like a
piston, to draw massive amounts of smoke
into the mouth while the tongue is recoiling
to the back of the mouth. Keep the smoke
in the mouth, do not inhale to the lungs.

Next, open a large hole with your lips, full circle,
while not allowing the smoke to escape, holding
everything still.

Next, use the tongue to "pop" the smoke out and
quickly pull the tongue to the back of the mouth.
The tongue action is a quick push/pull back action
sort of like a viper attacking and quickly recoiling
for the next action, then hold, for the next ring,
when you are ready.

I usually push/pop/hold while the ring is drifting into
and out of existence before sending out another
ring, or when I am ready to blow a ring in a ring.

Now, once you master blowing your rings, the next
step is to try blowing a ring inside of a ring. You
simply need to wait until the first ring expands into
a larger circle, and once sufficient, to then blow a
second ring through the first. Keep in mind that you
can do this remaining exactly where you are since
the second ring, if blown hard enough, will reach the
first because the first will slow down eventually due to
entropy.

I hope this helps! :cool2:

Pipe smoking

Hi there,

I have been thinking for a while about purchasing a pipe,
and have decided to give it a try.

Just wondered if there are any experienced pipe smokers out there or somebody
who have tried it and maybe had some advice for a beginner.

Information about cleaning, preparation and off course smoking is easy to find
and when I read it it sounds pretty easy with some practice.
But reading and actually doing it is two different things so
some advice and experience from others would certainly come in handy. :)

Re: Pipe smoking

Torstone said:
But reading and actually doing it is two different things so
some advice and experience from others would certainly come in handy. :)

Hi Torstone,

I don't consider myself an expert pipe smoker by any means, so take this FWIW. I do something a little abnormal compared to most people who pipe smoke. I take the American Spirit rolling tobacco and stuff it into my pipe to smoke. It seems to work okay, although it doesn't burn as well as the flake tobacco that's made for pipe smoking, at least from the experiments I've done. One tip that helped me in the beginning was learning how to properly pack the bowl. You should keep it loose at the bottom and then as you add tobacco try to make it a little denser towards the top. That seemed to help, otherwise the air draw tends to be bad if I pack it too tight all the way through.

Also, once you light it the first time, let it burn out quickly and gently pack it back down. The initial burn tends to loosen up the top pieces, so when you repack it after the initial burn, it helps to make a more consistent burn for the remainder of your smoke. Depending on your pipe, the type of tobacco you have, and the moisture level of your tobacco, you may have to relight it periodically. When it seems like you've burned through a good chunk, tip the pipe on its side over an ashtray and give it a light tap, enough to get the burned ashes out. To get the pipe started initially, take small quick puffs until it takes very little draw to pull a lot of smoke -- then sit back and enjoy! :)

Being somewhat cheap, I fashioned my own cleaning tools out of old kitchen utensils. I'm guessing there are probably better ways to do this. I've seen plenty of little tools for sale on websites that specialize in pipe smoking. I can usually get by with just scraping it out for a few months and then I'll take a day and soak it in pure vodka or Everclear and then thoroughly clean it.. Don't use anything but ethanol based alcohols to clean your pipe (in other words, no 'rubbing' alcohol) as anything else will just make your pipe toxic.

I don't know about the type of pipe you're looking at, but I bought a wooden one and it came with a filter. I initially tried with the filter and found it to just be too problematic. Removing the filter is easy and it makes drawing the smoke easier without it. I've read good things about stone pipes, but I have yet to purchase one. I've also heard some people swear by cobb pipes too. To each his own, I guess.

I'm sure others will have more advise.

Also, do search through this thread as there are some scattered tips related to pipe smoking throughout.

Vulcan59 said:
Hi Torstone,

Check out this topic called, "Smoking is... good?" To get you started, have a look here. :)

Thank you :) Just what I was looking for and when I searched just this topic I did get a lot of info.

RyanX said:
Hi Torstone,

I don't consider myself an expert pipe smoker by any means, so take this FWIW. I do something a little abnormal compared to most people who pipe smoke. I take the American Spirit rolling tobacco and stuff it into my pipe to smoke. It seems to work okay, although it doesn't burn as well as the flake tobacco that's made for pipe smoking, at least from the experiments I've done. One tip that helped me in the beginning was learning how to properly pack the bowl. You should keep it loose at the bottom and then as you add tobacco try to make it a little denser towards the top. That seemed to help, otherwise the air draw tends to be bad if I pack it too tight all the way through.

Also, once you light it the first time, let it burn out quickly and gently pack it back down. The initial burn tends to loosen up the top pieces, so when you repack it after the initial burn, it helps to make a more consistent burn for the remainder of your smoke. Depending on your pipe, the type of tobacco you have, and the moisture level of your tobacco, you may have to relight it periodically. When it seems like you've burned through a good chunk, tip the pipe on its side over an ashtray and give it a light tap, enough to get the burned ashes out. To get the pipe started initially, take small quick puffs until it takes very little draw to pull a lot of smoke -- then sit back and enjoy! :)

Being somewhat cheap, I fashioned my own cleaning tools out of old kitchen utensils. I'm guessing there are probably better ways to do this. I've seen plenty of little tools for sale on websites that specialize in pipe smoking. I can usually get by with just scraping it out for a few months and then I'll take a day and soak it in pure vodka or Everclear and then thoroughly clean it.. Don't use anything but ethanol based alcohols to clean your pipe (in other words, no 'rubbing' alcohol) as anything else will just make your pipe toxic.

I don't know about the type of pipe you're looking at, but I bought a wooden one and it came with a filter. I initially tried with the filter and found it to just be too problematic. Removing the filter is easy and it makes drawing the smoke easier without it. I've read good things about stone pipes, but I have yet to purchase one. I've also heard some people swear by cobb pipes too. To each his own, I guess.

I'm sure others will have more advise.

Also, do search through this thread as there are some scattered tips related to pipe smoking throughout.

Thank you for sharing :)
Just what you said, to each his own is the way I have been thinking about what kinda pipe I should buy and have decided to start off with a wooden pipe.
Seems like it requires a bit of patience in the beginning to find one`s own way and I will be sure to go back and read this the moment I have purchased my first pipe :D

Psalehesost said:
It can take a bit of time for the lungs to get used to it, hence coughing in the beginning. Not sure about the headache, though - could perhaps be that your body hasn't adjusted to the amount of nicotine yet.

I guess you could go could gradually and see how you feel after gradually increasing the amount of smoke and so nicotine.

It seems that inhaling through the nose works for me, the smoke does seem to get in the lungs that way. It doesn't give me the headache, but I do get quite lightheaded (I seem to get that feeling in my whole body), but it doesn't feel negative. It's a bit like ''woooww what's goin onnn'' feeling, it's fun :lol: Sometimes I still cough, but sometimes when I get a lot in and it feels like it was too much, it was actually fun, because I could control it and didn't cough.

Still need to practice getting the smoke in my lungs through the mouth. With the nose, right now, it feels smoother and more in control (practicing belly breathing at the same time!)

Oxajil said:
Psalehesost said:
It can take a bit of time for the lungs to get used to it, hence coughing in the beginning. Not sure about the headache, though - could perhaps be that your body hasn't adjusted to the amount of nicotine yet.

I guess you could go could gradually and see how you feel after gradually increasing the amount of smoke and so nicotine.

It seems that inhaling through the nose works for me, the smoke does seem to get in the lungs that way. It doesn't give me the headache, but I do get quite lightheaded (I seem to get that feeling in my whole body), but it doesn't feel negative. It's a bit like ''woooww what's goin onnn'' feeling, it's fun :lol: Sometimes I still cough, but sometimes when I get a lot in and it feels like it was too much, it was actually fun, because I could control it and didn't cough.

Still need to practice getting the smoke in my lungs through the mouth. With the nose, right now, it feels smoother and more in control (practicing belly breathing at the same time!)

I too get that lightheaded feeling as well but only when I smoke tobacco rolled in paper. I found that smoking my pipe rarely gives me that lightheaded feeling so I'm not quite sure if it was something in the paper or not but that could just be me also. As far as taking smoke through your mouth as opposed to nose maybe your trying too hard? When you smoke your next one try relaxing and see if it comes naturally instead of focusing on it or trying to do it. Glad to hear its working out for you. :)

Pete02 said:
Not only that but I remember Divide by Zero testing one type of filter by burning it and I believe the result was fiberglass. That surely can't be too good to be adding to your smoke. :cool2:

I compared it to the cotton filtered indian cigarettes I got and those didn't melt. Cotton needs a higher temperature to burn.

Oxajil, have you tried sucking the smoke first into your mouth with lips slightly parted to mix it with fresh air, and then inhale? That is how I started smoking. I still suck it first into my mouth but no longer feel the need to mix it with air.

RyanX said:
I do something a little abnormal compared to most people who pipe smoke. I take the American Spirit rolling tobacco and stuff it into my pipe to smoke. It seems to work okay, although it doesn't burn as well as the flake tobacco that's made for pipe smoking, at least from the experiments I've done.

I also use additive-free rolling tobacco much of the time. My body has gotten more sensitive in recent weeks, and now I feel clearly that smoking "proper" pipe tobacco all the time makes me a bit tired and lethargic and otherwise not feeling too well. Some from time to time is fine, but the rolling tobacco I can smoke as much as I need.

I inhale deeply anyway - waste of nicotine otherwise - so it makes little difference apart from the body being happier with it.

Also, another snus update for the thread: Having become more sensitive, I've noticed that my body really doesn't "like" it too much at all. Even Ettan which seems the best of what I've tried can make my nose run a bit and make me feel almost as if I've got a very, very slight cold. So pipe smoking is it.

has anyone read any research re. the toxicity (or not) of filtered cigarettes? I couldn't find anything relevant

Nathan said:
Question for y'all who roll your own: do you use filters?

If so, what sort?
If not, do you roll up cardboard or use something else as a faux filter so the paper doesn't get soggy?
Or do you just smoke filter-free?

I don't use filters. I tried mini RYO filters from Gizeh & a standard filter brand but I didn't like how my lungs felt after using them. The difference in nicotine absorption is like night & day for me. I don't roll up cardboard because I never know what is in the cardboard that I'd be rolling up so I'd rather not.

Some informations about cigarette filters:

Background:More than 90% of the cigarettes sold worldwide have a filter. Nearly all filters consist of a rod of numerous ( > 12 000) plastic-like cellulose acetate fibres. During high speed cigarette manufacturing procedures, fragments of cellulose acetate that form the mouthpiece of a filter rod become separated from the filter at the end face. The cut surface of the filter of nearly all cigarettes has these fragments. In smoking a cigarette in the usual manner, some of these fragments are released during puffing. In addition to the cellulose acetate fragments, carbon particles are released also from some cigarette brands that have a charcoal filter. Cigarettes with filters that release cellulose acetate or carbon particles during normal smoking conditions are defective.

[...]

Results: Sixty one documents of Philip Morris, Inc were selected for study because they disclosed specifically the “fall-out” of cellulose acetate filter fibres and, for cigarettes with charcoal filters, carbon particles from cigarette filters. The term “fall-out” was defined in 1985 laboratory protocols of Philip Morris, Inc. as “loose fibers (or particles) that are drawn out of the filter during puffing of the cigarette”. As early as 1957, the health concern of inhaling cellulose acetate fibres released from cigarette filters was addressed by Philip Morris, Inc. A 1962 document reported the results of laboratory tests conducted by Phillip Morris, Inc that compared the “fall-out” of cellulose acetate fibres from the filters of their cigarettes (Marlboro) and cigarettes of their competitor (Liggett & Meyers). A 1997 overview by Phillip Morris of documents addressing the “fallout of carbon particles and cellulose acetate fibers from filters” stated that they were “essentially routine reports” of cigarette filter assays, and referenced a “Filter Fallout” memo written in 1961—more than 40 years ago. Most likely these tests are being conducted presently as illustrated by a 1999 report that details the revisions of the “fall-out” protocol of Phillip Morris, Inc and reports the results of tests that measured the discharge of cellulose acetate fibres and silica gel from beta cigarettes with a new type of filter. Our analysis of the “fall-out” tests results presented in the 61 “fall-out” documents showed that filter fibres and carbon particles were discharged from the filters of all types of cigarettes tested. These cigarette types (n = 130) included both coded cigarettes and popular brand name cigarettes. No publications were found in the scientific literature of the “fall-out” studies. Thus, the results of the “fall-out” studies are thought to have been withheld as confidential to Philip Morris, Inc. We have identified also other companies that have tested recently cigarettes for defective filters. In addition, our searches have shown that simple, expedient, and inexpensive technologies for decontaminating cigarette filters of loose cellulose acetate fibres and particles from the cut surface of the filter have been developed and described in 1997 and 1998 US patents. What is more important is that these patents also define methods for preventing or reducing the broken plastic-like fibres that arise during cigarette making. Many US patents (n = 607; 1957 to 2001) have been awarded for cigarette filters. Some of these inventions describe novel materials and unique filtration schemes that would eliminate or minimise the discharge of filter materials into mainstream smoke.

Conclusions: We have shown that: (a) the filter of today's cigarette is defective; (b) Philip Morris, Inc has known of this filter defect for more than 40 years; (c) the existence of this filter defect has been confirmed by others in independent studies; (d) many methods exist to prevent and correct the filter defect, but have not been implemented; and (e) results of investigations substantiating defective filters have been concealed from the smoker and the health community. The tobacco industry has been negligent in not performing toxicological examinations and other studies to assess the human health risks associated with regularly ingesting and inhaling non-degradable, toxin coated cellulose acetate fragments and carbon microparticles and possibly other components that are released from conventional cigarette filters during normal smoking. The rationale for harm assessment is supported by the results of consumer surveys that have shown that the ingestion or inhalation of cigarette filter fibres are a health concern to nearly all smokers.

[...]

Extensive story here: Source

As far as I know only the American Spirit Organic Grown Cigarettes contain plastic free paper filters.

Does anyone know where one can buy organic filter packs?

Back
Top Bottom