Smoking is... good?

I recently started using plastic filter tips (brand name: The Original Tarless Filter).

They are reminiscent of cigarette holders of bygone days but are only an inch or so long.

They are designed to reduce tar by means of a small insert with tiny holes that let's the smoke pass through, leaving behind quite a bit of tar. I am using them to hopefully capture any particles from the cigarette's filter or, when I rip off the filter, I use the plastic filter to stop bits of tobacco from going into my mouth.
These are disposable and tend to get clogged after the 5th smoke and start to affect taste after the third (smell and taste like I imagine the experience of licking an ashtray might be like).

There are perhaps 25 in a box and are usually sold in tobacco shops.

Drawback...they're plastic. Although they don't get hot, who knows what toxins they release.
They have, however, inspired me to think of a more neutral material. I'm thinking perhaps of carving a stone cigarette holder. It would only hold the cigarette and might feel quite nice in the hand. Or it might be too heavy and look strange. I will have to experiment.

Gonzo

thanks Stranger, I remember I had read this a few months ago, but couldn't find the link again :)

Gonzo said:
I recently started using plastic filter tips (brand name: The Original Tarless Filter).

They are reminiscent of cigarette holders of bygone days but are only an inch or so long.

They are designed to reduce tar by means of a small insert with tiny holes that let's the smoke pass through, leaving behind quite a bit of tar. I am using them to hopefully capture any particles from the cigarette's filter or, when I rip off the filter, I use the plastic filter to stop bits of tobacco from going into my mouth.
These are disposable and tend to get clogged after the 5th smoke and start to affect taste after the third (smell and taste like I imagine the experience of licking an ashtray might be like).

There are perhaps 25 in a box and are usually sold in tobacco shops.

Drawback...they're plastic. Although they don't get hot, who knows what toxins they release.
They have, however, inspired me to think of a more neutral material. I'm thinking perhaps of carving a stone cigarette holder. It would only hold the cigarette and might feel quite nice in the hand. Or it might be too heavy and look strange. I will have to experiment.

Gonzo

gonzo, you have a some pretty vivid imagination there brother :D

I've been using those acetate filters recently too. Then I started to just do straight tobacco, and it's not that harsh really. But there are unbleached, chemical free filters made by Raw here.

But what you can do is make your own tip. Just take a rolling paper and fold it lengthwise and then roll it up into a cylinder and put it in your cigarette as you roll. Another option would be a cigarette holder.

I used to make filters from the cardboard of cigarette packages. Same idea, tear off a strip a few cm wide and roll it until it forms a cylinder. Insert in into the end of the cigarette. It will uncoil slightly, helping it stay in place. Although it doesn't really filter much, it prevents tobacco getting into the mouth.

Gonzo

Gonzo

Seeing that about all commercial cigarettes in the states have FSC chemicals in the paper, has anyone tried buying the cigarettes and cutting them open and re-rolling them? I was thinking about this because all I have is some AS perique tobacco, and while it smells really good, it is too harsh and spicy. It makes me feel like my lung capacity is reduced, but putting peppermint oil in it helps make it more tolerable.

3D Student said:
Seeing that about all commercial cigarettes in the states have FSC chemicals in the paper, has anyone tried buying the cigarettes and cutting them open and re-rolling them? I was thinking about this because all I have is some AS perique tobacco, and while it smells really good, it is too harsh and spicy. It makes me feel like my lung capacity is reduced, but putting peppermint oil in it helps make it more tolerable.

I had similar idea, but the result was a bit messy, so I decided to stick with farmer's untreated tobacco and pipe, no more paper at all or I'm rolling tobacco leaves and making mini cigarillos, the cigarette's wrapping paper horrified me when I found out that most of producers of cigarette paper use substantial part of recycled paper, imagine amount of led and other toxins in that paper, terrible due to printing & cleaning. BTW even the clean cellulose is getting trough harsh chemical dipping and treatment to become "clean" paper so better not to use any kind of paper for cigarette wrapping.

Ljubica said:
[BTW even the clean cellulose is getting trough harsh chemical dipping and treatment to become "clean" paper so better not to use any kind of paper for cigarette wrapping.

Hmm, I was ripping teabag tags in half and rolling filters out of those. I wonder if this is safe. The filter itself isn't burning, the smoke is simply passing between the layers. Otherwise, I end up with bits of tobacco in my mouth (if I wanted to do that, I'd be chewing tobacco instead)!

I recall seeing tobacco leaf rolling papers at the general store.

They're used today by the younger bunch to roll other stuff best not mentioned and are often flavoured (cherry, blueberry, etc.), however, natural ones are available as well, just harder to find. They are generically called blunt wraps and Roll Your Own magazine reviewed some of them here:
_http://www.ryomagazine.com/winter2004/papers.htm

Fyi,
Gonzo

Gonzo said:
I recall seeing tobacco leaf rolling papers at the general store.

They're used today by the younger bunch to roll other stuff best not mentioned and are often flavoured (cherry, blueberry, etc.), however, natural ones are available as well, just harder to find. They are generically called blunt wraps and Roll Your Own magazine reviewed some of them here:
_http://www.ryomagazine.com/winter2004/papers.htm

Fyi,
Gonzo

Those are probably not any more healthier than regular cigarette papers due to the flavoring that is added.

Nathan said:
Ljubica said:
[BTW even the clean cellulose is getting trough harsh chemical dipping and treatment to become "clean" paper so better not to use any kind of paper for cigarette wrapping.

Hmm, I was ripping teabag tags in half and rolling filters out of those. I wonder if this is safe. The filter itself isn't burning, the smoke is simply passing between the layers. Otherwise, I end up with bits of tobacco in my mouth (if I wanted to do that, I'd be chewing tobacco instead)!

I'm not sure about tea bags, at first I used Dr Perl Junior active filters with cellulose frame but I'm not sure any more in anything with cellulose so my husband and myself decided to experiment with filter options this is what we done: we are using wooden cigarette or cigarillos holder (although I enjoy the most in the pipe in last few months, less fuss with rolling tobacco leaves, it take some time to make nice looking cigarillos), with small wooden filter in side (wood membrane 1/2 cm of length with tiny holes, filter itself made of myrtle wood or yew wood) that is more than enough to stop any tobacco to get in the mouth, it is relatively simple to carve the yew or myrtle wood and make inserts for the pipe neck or cigarette holder, the most important thing is to make it a bit loose, so when you detach pipe neck from the pipe itself, the filter will come out easily, if is too tight, it will stay inside because of high temperature and condensation (but you can take care of that as well if you make one hole on the edge of the filter, large enough for paper clip wire to enter in, and use paper clip wire as lever for de blocking of the wood filter. Cleaning is pretty easy: every day take it out, clean them first with some sponge and water on the end dip them in sodium bicarbonate (2 teaspoons in 0,3 litres of cold water) and leave them in forfew hours, after the cleaning dry them and use them again and when they get a bit worn out, we make new ones. Low tech filter but it works fine :).

Re: On smoking, cancer, nicotine and big pharma

I haven't been following this thread till just recently and wanted to interject a clarification on what was posted way back on page 11 in regards to Zebra's post about Niacin.

zebra said:
When a smoker becomes "hooked" on ciggarettes the nicotine does something. The nicotine basically kicks the vitamin B3 out of you're body and takes its place. The vitamin B3 also known as Niacin, Niacinamide or Nicotinic Acid is usually craved for when in cigarette form containing a derivitive-nicotine. Many people are not getting enough nutrition through what they consume and B3 is one of those essentials. Naturally if you are lacking or not getting enough and do try smoking, chances are you will probably continue. After all you just found a source of Niacin, ahem, nicotine;)

I'm assuming anyone reading this thread has already read SOTT article titled "Aliens don't Like to Eat Humans Who Smoke" http://www.sott.net/signs/anti-anti-smoking.htm, and does cover how "nicotine does something".
However, I've often wondered if there was a correlation between nicotine and nicotinic acic (niacin) just because of the similar sounding names. After re-reading the Sott article again, I decided to look up niacin in the PDR for Nutritional Supplements by Sheldon Saul Hendler, PhD, MD, (etc.) and found this interesting background on Niacin. As an introductory note, in the PDR it states: "nicotinic acid and nicotinamide have identical vitamin activities, but have very different pharmacological activities."

Nicotinic acid was first discovered as an oxidation product of nicotine, and thus the origin of its name. In fact much of the confusion caused by the use of the term niacin for both nicotinic acid and nicotinamide, as well as for nicotinic acid alone, was created by the attempt to dissociate nicotinic acid from its nicotine origins. Niacin, via its metabolites, is involved in a wide range of biological processes, including the production of energy, the synthesis of fatty acids, cholesterol and steroids, signal transduction, the regulation of gene expression and the maintenance of genomic integrity. Nicotinic acid, in pharmacological doses, is used as an antihyperlipidemic agent. [raising HDL-cholesterol (good ones) and lowering LDL-cholesterol (harmful ones) and triglycerides.]

I'm not trying to make the connection that nicotinic acid is a metabolite of inhaled nicotine; it would seem that nicotine's benefits outlined in the SOTT article, may only be closely related to nicotinic acids biologic activity.

And in response to the second part of Zebra's post, ...
zebra said:
If someone really wants to quit and TRULY has the want and will, try taking vitamin B3. Hold on now...Niacin should not be taken if you have heart problems(I believe) or high blood pressure, simply because it stimulates you're circulatory system (amoung many other great things!) It will make you flushed in the face and sometimes all over. Tingling sensations may be experienced.
Niacinamide does not have the side effect of making you flushed.

I'd like to chime in with the following:

Actually, most of the niacin studies cited in the PDR were done on cardiovascular patients. One study included survivors of myocardial infarction, receiving
1 gram doses of nicotinic acid, three time a day, in combination with clofibrate and was found to significantly decrease total and cardiac mortality (by 26%).

Another study done on men, 40-59 who had undergone coronary artery bypass, who were given nicotinic acid in combination with colestipos showed significantly decreased disease progression in some and significantly increased disease regression in some others, compared with placebo.

More recent studies continue to produce positive results for nicotinic acid. in one of these, it was shown to inhibit vascular oxidative stress, redox-sensitive genes and monocyte adhesion to human aortic endothelial cells, providing evidence for the inhibition of vascular inflammation and presence of anti-atherosclerotic properies independent of, and in addition to, its lipid-modulating effects.

The PDR also has the following precautions: high doses of niacin (nicotinic acid)(1 gram is nearly 1000 times the amount of RDA, with is 16 mg for men over 19 yoa) should be taken only under the supervision of a physician.
High dose nicotinic acid is contraindicated in those with hepatic dysfunction, unexplained elevations of serum aminotransferases, active peptic ulcer disease and arterial bleeding. High dose nicotinic acid may negatively affect glucose tolerance. Liver toxicity has been noted more frequently in the slow-release form of niacin, but occurences are noted as mild and manageable. There is many drug interactions listed as well, which common sense should dictate discussing niacin supplementation with the physician prescribing the medication beforehand.

Also from the PDR regarding the "niacin flush", as well as the "nicotine rush", I would suppose:
Nicotinic acid can cause vasodilation of cutaneous blood vessels, resulting in increased blood flow, principally in the face, neck and chest. [producing the niacin flush. This may in part explain its benefit for cardiovascular patients, which is similar to the effects of nitro tabs]....
The flushing effect of nicotinic acid is transient and tolerance to this effect occurs with continued administration of the vitamin. The flushing effect, as mentioned above, is prostaglandin mediated, and tolerance results from reduction in prostaglandin levels with continued administration.

My husband sometimes, not all the time, flushes taking a liquid multi containing only 20mg of nicotinic acid. (His bottom gets a cute pink blush :-[ )
We've found he can avoid this by taking it after/with a small meal.

i recently purchased a few bags of Kentucky Select Organic Pipe Tobacco
http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_212&products_id=736
and i love it! it's more of a desert smoke to me. i never did quite like the organic natural american spirit smokes due to the "bleh" harsh/bitterness of the taste (well, it was "bleh" in my opinion :)).

i find the organic kentucky select to be a sweet and smooth smoke in comparison to NAS organic smokes. it's also considered "dual purpose" tobacco, so it's great for those who enjoy rolling your own smokes (as i choose to do) or who enjoy using a pipe!

cdh4r said:
i recently purchased a few bags of Kentucky Select Organic Pipe Tobacco
http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_212&products_id=736
and i love it! it's more of a desert smoke to me. i never did quite like the organic natural american spirit smokes due to the "bleh" harsh/bitterness of the taste (well, it was "bleh" in my opinion :)).

i find the organic kentucky select to be a sweet and smooth smoke in comparison to NAS organic smokes. it's also considered "dual purpose" tobacco, so it's great for those who enjoy rolling your own smokes (as i choose to do) or who enjoy using a pipe!

I hear ya.. I too just recently found a place online called 'Custom Blends' that grows their own natural organic tobacco and I've started to buy pipe tobacco from them. I had some American Spirits left over so I ordered a couple of flavored pouches and mixed them together and wow is it much better! I think once its gone I'll be giving up on the American Spirits stuff for good although it was probably my fault for buying rolling tobacco for my pipe.

I've thought about ordering tobacco over the Internet. There are many brands I just can't get locally.

One concern, though, is paying the taxes. They do prosecute people for not paying tobacco tax in this state. I've considered asking the dept of revenue if I can just bring the receipts from internet orders in to their office and pay the taxes. But even the asking brings one to the attention of the authorities. Mix of paranoia and caution here.

Those who buy tobacco thru the internet: how do you handle state and local taxes?

Mac

Mac said:
I've thought about ordering tobacco over the Internet. There are many brands I just can't get locally.

One concern, though, is paying the taxes. They do prosecute people for not paying tobacco tax in this state. I've considered asking the dept of revenue if I can just bring the receipts from internet orders in to their office and pay the taxes. But even the asking brings one to the attention of the authorities. Mix of paranoia and caution here.

Those who buy tobacco thru the internet: how do you handle state and local taxes?

Mac

Well the place I mentioned 'customblends.com' charges taxes according to where your delivery is being shipped. I was charged the current Pennsylvania tax rate upon finishing my order so I don't think Uncle Sam should have any issues with me because it was basically the same as if I bought it locally. I know there are a few online places that don't charge any sales tax at all and I think those are the ones you gotta watch out for and plus it probably depends on how much your spending too. :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom