Smoking is... good?

Bo said:
Yeah exactly, only downside is that organic tobacco is expensive, it really kills the pocket!

How much do you pay? Here in Germany you can buy organic tobacco in a lot tobacco-shops for around 5 euro/35g. I met a guy smoking more than 2 packets industrial cigarettes per day, after trying natural tobacco the desire to smoke non-stop vanished. Maybe in the end it comes cheaper. Besides rolling your own is cheaper than buying cigarettes.

moksha said:
i have a friend who usually smokes Marlboros and the like, and with my influence started to buy standard rolling tobacco (think it was a german brand called harvest). he did this for a while, sometimes switching back to his old cigarettes. his experience is that he feels much better smoking the rolling tobacco, and it doesn't leave him with the constant urge to smoke more unlike conventional cigarettes. i suppose that has to do with the 4000 odd extra chemicals; did anyone have a similar experience?

Yeah, I recall experiencing the same effect when switching from commercial cigs to roll your own. I think your right about it being related to the chemical additives. I remember one study that said ammonia was added to increase the PH in the liquid in your lungs, which would in turn allow for more nicotine to be absorbed through the tissue.

thanks shane.

personally i have one observation: whenever i have a smoke immediately after having a glass of water, i feel a little bit nauseated and my tummy feels slightly uncomfortable for about 10 minutes. the feeling passes, but i've noticed this enough times to keep from doing this again.

I found a shop that Raw rolling papers. They are great. I like them better than my pipe. :cool2: They are a bit expensive though. Will probably order some online.

Interesting, I thought that the shop I found them in was the closet thing to a head shop around here. They sell many brands of rolling papers, hookahs and "head" clothing and jewelry.

But within walking distance of this shop are two shops that are headshops! Glass pipes, water pipes, even hash pipes. I thought all that stuff was illegal here. "drug paraphernalia". Or maybe they just haven't been busted yet. ;D

Any suggestions of rolling paper sites with good service?

Mac

Mac said:

They are really cheap on ebay: _http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=natural+rolling+papers+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=natueral+rolling+papers&_rdc=1

Stranger said:
Mac said:

They are really cheap on ebay: _http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=natural+rolling+papers+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=natueral+rolling+papers&_rdc=1

Gads, that is cheap. About 1/3 the cost at a local store.

Thanks, Stranger.

Mac

Hello guys

I had an argument with my brother who is an avid anti-smoking fanatic. I tried to tell him that smoking is not all bad and that there are other things much worse but he wouldn't have it.
I told him that smoking helps clear my mind a little and that great people in history used to smoke like Einstein but again he wouldn't have it.
Then he started referring me to all this "scientific" papers and stuff about the dangers of smoking. I couldn't argue with that and I didn't have time to go through this entire thread in search of some benefits. So could someone guide me to a objective scientific research about this subject?

Persons who smoke may experience mild impairment of cognitive abilities if they stop smoking. This worsening is because nicotine acts as an agonist (it mimics) receptors of acetylcholine which is important for learning and memory, and cognitive functions. Daily infusions of nicotine actually increase the number of acetylcholine receptors by up to 40%. Nicotinic receptors in the central nervous system are associated with neuronal plasticity and cell survival. The molecular link between the brain and the immune system in an anti-inflammatory pathway - the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway - is a receptor for nicotine (the nicotinic receptor subunit alpha 7). That is, nicotine attenuates inflammatory molecules.

There is some articles about this here in the forum and sott.net. Do a search in sott.net for "nicotine" and "cholinergic", it should turn back interesting stuff.

:cool2:

Psyche said:
Persons who smoke may experience mild impairment of cognitive abilities if they stop smoking. This worsening is because nicotine acts as an agonist (it mimics) receptors of acetylcholine which is important for learning and memory, and cognitive functions. Daily infusions of nicotine actually increase the number of acetylcholine receptors by up to 40%. Nicotinic receptors in the central nervous system are associated with neuronal plasticity and cell survival. The molecular link between the brain and the immune system in an anti-inflammatory pathway - the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway - is a receptor for nicotine (the nicotinic receptor subunit alpha 7). That is, nicotine attenuates inflammatory molecules.

There is some articles about this here in the forum and sott.net. Do a search in sott.net for "nicotine" and "cholinergic", it should turn back interesting stuff.

:cool2:

Thanks Psyche for the reply,
I will do the search on the terms you've mentioned. I want to gather as much scientific evidence (especially from outside this forum) because I don't want my family accusing me of following a "cult" if you know what I mean :cool2:

samy said:
Hello guys

I had an argument with my brother who is an avid anti-smoking fanatic. I tried to tell him that smoking is not all bad and that there are other things much worse but he wouldn't have it.
I told him that smoking helps clear my mind a little and that great people in history used to smoke like Einstein but again he wouldn't have it.
Then he started referring me to all this "scientific" papers and stuff about the dangers of smoking. I couldn't argue with that and I didn't have time to go through this entire thread in search of some benefits. So could someone guide me to a objective scientific research about this subject?
During recent article laura mentioned that believing in lying changes the brain. so people can't cognitively recognise change ( it is a mechanical program and strenghtens every times he exposes to anti smoking propaganda) , how ever logical it is, unless some big shock comes and it makes him to open and think again. you can suggest the benefits and let it go, one day he may realise , if it is not too late.

Here is an interesting idea. Smokefest anyone? :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/221138-Flicker-of-Hope-for-Pipe-Smoking-in-Toronto

Mac said:
I found a shop that Raw rolling papers. They are great. I like them better than my pipe. :cool2: They are a bit expensive though. Will probably order some online.

Interesting, I thought that the shop I found them in was the closet thing to a head shop around here. They sell many brands of rolling papers, hookahs and "head" clothing and jewelry.

But within walking distance of this shop are two shops that are headshops! Glass pipes, water pipes, even hash pipes. I thought all that stuff was illegal here. "drug paraphernalia". Or maybe they just haven't been busted yet. ;D

Mac

try starsmokes.com , i just ordered some rizla silver papers from them (not delivered yet though). 1 box (50 sachets with 50 papers each) for 7 GBP i think

Vulcan59 said:
Here is an interesting idea. Smokefest anyone? :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/221138-Flicker-of-Hope-for-Pipe-Smoking-in-Toronto
awesome idea :D discussing aliens and blinis while smoking pipe is ALWAYS good ;)

Thumbs up for pipe smoking, I was a bit reserved to ward the idea of smoking pipe at first (looking really funny with the pipe), but right now I think it was revelation ;); no more rolling paper (with all toxins in it), no more industrial tobacco (only smoking farmers organic tobacco), no more filters of all kinds (never know what might be mixed in them), it's pure pleasure of smoking.

Pipes :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom