Smoking is... good?

I've just started to smoke last week, the More cigarettes I bought for Laura, and I'm feeling really good.

I'm trying to lose weight, and smoking actually has helped to lose a few pounds just in one week, combined with exercises and cautious eating. Only thing I hope is that it won't bring me wrinkles, coz I would just drop dead if that happend, still I'm young so I can prevent, right? :D :D

Also it has help me deal with my stress, that was just outta control! Now I'm more calm less reactive and with a good spirit.
And when exercising it has had no effect or make me less strong or affect my physical performance.
So smoking its really good for me, oh I was forgetting, I smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a day :).

EDU

I found one interesting brand of smooth cigarillos: DANNEMANN MOODS, it's a bit pricey but taste fabulous, made a bit of research, seems organic, and cigarillos are wrapped in nice dark Brazilian tobacco. What do you think about this brand??

More on: http://www.cigarettesreviews.com/brands-listing/moods

or home page: http://www.dannemann.com/com/company/philosophy/

Happy smoking.

Ljubica said:
I found one interesting brand of smooth cigarillos: DANNEMANN MOODS, it's a bit pricey but taste fabulous, made a bit of research, seems organic, and cigarillos are wrapped in nice dark Brazilian tobacco. What do you think about this brand??

I used to smoke those as a treat. They are wonderful! I should smoke them again from time to time.

I was under the impression pipe tobacco is not meant for inhalation just puffing and this always kept me away from pipes.
Pipe smokers here - do you inhale?

Herr Eisenheim said:
I was under the impression pipe tobacco is not meant for inhalation just puffing and this always kept me away from pipes.

It is chemically more base so that you get some amount of nicotine through the mucus membrane simply from puffing. You can still inhale it.

Herr Eisenheim said:

Yes. I also smoke raw, no-additives tobacco instead of usual pipe tobacco.

Well, I guess there could be `puffers', as
Gurdjieff coins the term (:lol:), but puffers
in the smoking sense could apply to anyone
choosing not to inhale, be it cigs, cigars, pipes,
hookahs, ..., perhaps?

But I need my nicotine fix, so I inhale :P

Herr Eisenheim said:

I do inhale but not as deeply as with a cig since the smoke can be pretty dense. Once the bowl reaches a steady state, then its easier to control the density.

Herr Eisenheim said:

Yep. I smoke additive free organic tobacco and I inhale normally with no trouble.

Psyche said:
Ljubica said:

I used to smoke those as a treat. They are wonderful! I should smoke them again from time to time.

I agree, I've tried them and they're really great. CRAZY expensive here though, especially because cigarettes and tobacco is really cheap. A pack of cigarettes sells for the equivalent of 50 to 75 cents US. So I've only bought them 2 or 3 times as a treat, as well, after a friend of mine offered me one about a year and a half ago. Well, to put it in perspective, if I remember correctly, a box of MOODS cost about the equivalent of US$4 to $5 for ten cigarillos, while I pay about 55 cents for a pack of twenty of a local brand of cigarettes. Plus it's hard to find and the place that sells them is pretty out of the way.

I make my decision on what brand to smoke based on taste and smoothness and the highest nicotine content with the least tar. I recently switched to a smoother brand by the same manufacturer of my old brand. It's quite a bit smoother with the same nicotine and tar content. And it has brown paper at the filter, so my ashtray kinda looks like Laura might have been around smoking the Mores. :D :cool2:

Herr Eisenheim said:

I've smoked a pipe on and off in the last twenty years or so. Yeah, I inhale. I inhale cigars too, everything I smoke. If the tobacco is good, it's very smooth, just varies in how "heavy" it is, but not harsh. Without inhaling, you don't get very much nicotine, and my mouth becomes dry and feels funny.

Psyche said:
Ljubica said:

Thanks Psyche,

I'm using them as a treat as well, just a small change from every day pipe smoking :)

Wow there are a lot of replies in this thread! I'm going to take a chance on asking a question that has probably been asked already so mods, feel free to delete this post if it's too repetitive.

I know the C's have mentioned that the more natural the tobacco, the better the smoke, but have they specifically named any brands of or qualities in tobacco that smokers should be looking for? Any specific red flags to avoid? (I know American Spirits have been mentioned by some members but brands sometimes aren't always as "natural" as they claim to be)

I was able to quit smoking some time ago but I have friends that are still lighting up. I'd love to point them in a healthier direction when it comes to their habit.

Also, rolling their own seems to be the answer but any word on any brand of papers is better (more "natural") than others? Same question with filters.

Thank you, members, who have pointed out the differences in US cigs and foreign. That is some valuable info that will be passed on!

Help me out, C's! I want my friends to be healthy! :) :)

Stones said:
Wow there are a lot of replies in this thread! I'm going to take a chance on asking a question that has probably been asked already so mods, feel free to delete this post if it's too repetitive.

I know the C's have mentioned that the more natural the tobacco, the better the smoke, but have they specifically named any brands of or qualities in tobacco that smokers should be looking for? Any specific red flags to avoid? (I know American Spirits have been mentioned by some members but brands sometimes aren't always as "natural" as they claim to be)

I was able to quit smoking some time ago but I have friends that are still lighting up. I'd love to point them in a healthier direction when it comes to their habit.

Also, rolling their own seems to be the answer but any word on any brand of papers is better (more "natural") than others? Same question with filters.

Thank you, members, who have pointed out the differences in US cigs and foreign. That is some valuable info that will be passed on!

Hi Stones,

My current understanding is that the C's may point us in a general direction but it's through networking and research that we begin to help ourselves. :)

Stones said:

Basically, any natural rolling tobacco is worlds better than mass market cigarettes. The chemical content in the major brand cigarettes is pure poison. There are many to choose from these days, and even if you can't find an organic or super pure one, any step away from the mass market brands is a good one.

Stones said:

Try Rizla Silver, Elements, or Raw Organic papers if they are in your area. The Elements brand is a rice-based paper, and the Raw Organics are really clean.

Take care, quit smoking can kill you :P

Quitters finish first

Health warning: giving up smoking can kill
The Guardian, Tuesday 16 October 2007

The danger of cigarettes is mostly not in smoking them, argues a study by three doctors at the KS Hegde Medical Academy in Mangalore, India. Or, put another way: the danger comes from not smoking. Figuratively blowing smoke in the face of conventional wisdom, the study asks: "Are lung cancers triggered by stopping smoking?"

Arunachalam Kumar, Kasaragod Mallya and Jairaj Kumar take little for granted. They begin: "The clinically high correlation between smoking and carcinoma of the lungs has been the focal point in societal campaigns against the habit and the tobacco lobby." But their experience with patients suggests to them a different, seldom-told story. "We are struck by the more than casual relationship between the appearance of lung cancer and an abrupt and recent cessation of the smoking habit in many, if not most, cases."

Experience is their guide, numerically speaking. Of the 312 lung cancer patients they treated during a four-year period, 182 had recently quit smoking. The report goes into detail. "Each had been addicted to the habit no less than 25 years, smoking in excess of 20 sticks a day. The striking direct statistical correlation between cessation of smoking to the development of lung malignancies, more than 60% plus, is too glaring to be dismissed as coincidental."

One might quibble about this statistic - 182 cases out of 312 is 58%. In technical terms, one could accurately describe that as less than 60% minus. But it's still a startling number.

Kumar, Mallya and Kumar sketch out a possible explanation of what happens. There is, they surmise, a biological mechanism that protects smokers against cancer, that gets exercised and strengthened by years of diligent, heavy smoking. As in habitual marathon running, the body becomes accustomed to suffering grievous damage, and develops habitual ways to fix up whatever breaks down. The smoker's body becomes a sort of lean, puffing, self-damaging-yet-self-repairing machine.

But when a smoker gives up that regular regimen, the body cannot adjust. "It is our premise," say the doctors, "that a surge and spurt in re-activation of bodily healing and repair mechanisms of chronic smoke-damaged respiratory epithelia is induced and spurred by an abrupt discontinuation of habit, goes awry, triggering uncontrolled cell division and tumor genesis."

Things go downhill from there, in theory. The study appears in the journal Medical Hypotheses. In two pages, Kumar, Mallya and Kumar bleaken the already dire picture that research has painted about smoking cessation. The medically documented risks incurred by anyone who gives up cigarettes are well known. Depression, weight gain, irritability - these cruel fates have been written about time and again. Now add to them the risk of cancer, and the case against the case against smoking becomes even more persuasive.

At the very end of their paper, Kumar, Mallya and Kumar sum up their new view of things. "No doubt," they write, "tobacco kills too many. Or does it?"

· Marc Abrahams is editor of the bimonthly magazine Annals of Improbable Research and organiser of the Ig Nobel Prize

_http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2007/oct/16/highereducation.research1

Interesting to think about what triggers the lung cancer after giving up smoking.

Back
Top Bottom