Smoking is... good?

Mr. Premise said:
I smoked my first FSC cigarette today and it was horrible! I am traveling and my luggage was delayed and it had my tobacco in it and I had run out of the cigarettes I injected into tubes, so I bought a pack of American Spirit organics to tide me over until they deliver my suitcase (by this time it was too late for any tobacco shop to be open to buy RYO, I bought these at a gas station). I couldn't even finish the first one! After a couple of puffs I got that irritated throat and weird coating on my mouth that everyone describes. So when I got to the hotel I tore a cigarrette open and rerolled it with the filter in it with papers I had. It was much better. That FSC stuff is really nasty.

After months of smoking Kentucky Select roll your own I never had any problems with throat or lungs.

A couple of weeks ago my brother and I were chatting in a room while we had a smoke. He still smokes that dreaded Marlboro brand and I couldn't even take the smell of it. I ended up asking him to leave the room while he finished it. It's amazing that after smoking something like that for so many years that now just the smell alone is so toxic to me I can't even handle it. Even some other brands that aren't that bad like AS just seem to leave an odor on me that is repulsive.

Divide By Zero said:
Recently, I purchased a starter kit from rollyourown.com and so far it has been great!
I highly recommend the electric powermatic II model.

The natural blend is good and so is the organic I bought. Gambler and Zig Zag tubes work well with this machine too and they have cotton filters!

I was looking at the powermatic but couldn't justify the price when my Gambler injector still does the job. It only gums up if my tobacco is slightly moist. I can crank out 2 packs in about 15-20 minutes so I don't know if the electric injector would do anything for me other than saving my wrist from cranking. If it spit out smokes like a gatlin gun them maybe I would be more apt to purchase :D

I haven't tried the zigzag tubes. I tend to stick with Rizla or Gizeh. The Rizla's are a bit thinner so you get a bolder faster smoke and the gizeh tubes are pretty stout and hold up well (no flying cherries in my car). I have yet to get solid details on the chemical processes used for the tubes though but I think most still bleach the papers. If anyone comes across tubes that are natural or non-chlorinated I would certainly love to know.

BTW, which blend did you pick up?

ScottD said:
If anyone comes across tubes that are natural or non-chlorinated I would certainly love to know.

It's actually kind of difficult to find natural, unbleached rolling tubes. Their are a lot of paper brands that are starting to make them, but you'd have to start rolling your own to enjoy the cleaner papers. The tubes seem to be behind the times a little.

I bought this with some tubes in addition to the starter kit:
Kentucky Select Organic Pipe Tobacco 5lb
Kentucky Select Organic Pipe is a dual purpose tobacco.

The tobacco that came with the starter kit:
NCS House Blend Natural Pipe Tobacco 16oz
$16.50
NCS House Blend is a standard cut tobacco. Manufactured by M&R Holdings, the makers of Farmers Gold tobacco.

I prefer the organic but the stuff that came with the kit is pretty good too. The organic stuff is also a bit bigger in its pieces and wetter but it tastes great!

The machine works great, just jams if I over pack it. It is fed by a "spoon" not an auger. Supposedly the auger types aren't as good because they grind up the tobacco which doesn't want to stay put in the tubes.

Divide By Zero said:

If I remember right that tobacco has agave and prune extracts in it, supposedly for flavor. My guess is that burning that and inhaling the fumes isn't healthy. Of course the amount might be trivial, I don't know.

I've been using a Top-o-Matic tube stuffer for many months and so far it's worked great. Costs about $40 to $45 and uses regular size or king size tubes. It'll created 20 cigs in about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how fast you move your hands :cool2: Also been using Zig Zag tubes - those cost about $2.50 for 200.

Heimdallr said:
ScottD said:
If anyone comes across tubes that are natural or non-chlorinated I would certainly love to know.

It's actually kind of difficult to find natural, unbleached rolling tubes. Their are a lot of paper brands that are starting to make them, but you'd have to start rolling your own to enjoy the cleaner papers. The tubes seem to be behind the times a little.

Yeah that seems to be what I have come across so far. I thought that the Rizla tubes were supposed to be non-bleached but I don't think that's the case. I've seen the RAW papers are natural, just hoping they get into the tube market as I'm not to keen on rolling but may have to go in that direction eventually or resort to a small pipe for home and tubes for on-the-go.

m said:
Divide By Zero said:

If I remember right that tobacco has agave and prune extracts in it, supposedly for flavor. My guess is that burning that and inhaling the fumes isn't healthy. Of course the amount might be trivial, I don't know.
I haven't felt any bad effects from the extracts.

Have tried the NAS Organics (red/maroon pack) recently and have noticed some great effects! In addition to a calming, settling effect, I also notice that I think more clearly, action-oriented ideation and clearer vision! My posture seems to naturally straighten up while sitting. Also, I notice relaxation in my joints and easing of an old upper back/neck injury. Also deeper or easier breathing and seems to have some general detoxifying action.

Aesthetically these smokes also seem to be very smooth and mild with a great flavor. So glad I decided to give them a try after not smoking due to bad experiences with some other brands and even the non-organic NAS -- big difference in my experience!

On and off I have had some uncomfortable sensations while smoking. Like a harsh feeling in the throat, some nausea and weird loss of concentration. I discovered that drinking some diluted apple cider vinegar before smoking seems to alleviate these effects. The Candida thread says something about aversion to smoke for Candida-infested people, so I'm wondering if anyone has had the same experience?

Mr. Premise said:
m said:
Divide By Zero said:

I haven't felt any bad effects from the extracts.

Same here. Been smoking it for quite a few months with no filter. It has the right feel (texture) and taste - good to keep it moist. If I remember, there is a small amount of added organic fruit juice (apple maybe?). It's far better than AS, for me anyway.

Hi, I smoke american spirit since a week, I never smoked before, so today after the cigarette I felt like a drunk, is it normal?

Kaigen said:
Hi, I smoke american spirit since a week, I never smoked before, so today after the cigarette I felt like a drunk, is it normal?

Yes that is normal, especially with American Spirit which is very high in nicotine. I smoke Kentucky Select organic all day long for several months now and whenever I smoke American Spirit I get that dizzy, drunk feeling.

Mr. Premise said:
Kaigen said:

Yes that is normal, especially with American Spirit which is very high in nicotine. I smoke Kentucky Select organic all day long for several months now and whenever I smoke American Spirit I get that dizzy, drunk feeling.
True, regular Non american spirit smokers complain of american spirit being too strong. of course for a while. I also used to feel dizzy initially.

I smoke the yellow ones, they should be mild. I can smoke 2 per day right now :rolleyes: thanks for your answers Mr. Premise and seek10.

Back
Top Bottom