Sol (Sun) and its phenomena

I think this applies here to some extent. Not everything requires a discussion. I really enjoyed what they had going on here — direct and to the point; and when something notable happened, then we would all chime in. Of course, as discussed above, it could be streamlined.
well, yes and no.. I think data observation is crucial to be able to notice something out of the norm, in that sense no one is suggesting that we stop data observation at all. But this data could be then processed and the noticeable aspects of it could be pointed out, otherwise it becomes an exercise in simply observing data.

If I asked you, or anyone, if you had learned something notable of the last three pages on this thread, what would the answer be? and I daresay that in order to answer that you would need to browse the pages and look at the data, study it and then write your conclusions, that's sort of the proposal here, it's not so much that the data should never be posted and illustrated, it's that it shouldn't simply be pasted without context, without participation, because at that point it's not a research forum, it's simply a collection of daily reports that may be found elsewhere.

It would be very different if instead of seeing a post with all the raw data, we maybe got a written report with links to where the data is, and the conclusions and the pointing out of the odd bits of information. In this one there would be a participation of the poster and it would invite discussion, and it would probably take a lot less time to do so. Browse the data, then write a report with links, and then point out the anomalies or the trends.

See this guy here for an example of what I mean, he observes the data then in his words writes a weekly report, and you can see the person behind the observation. I think everyone would benefit from it, specially Puma, as we would get to read his "voice" through the posts, and it would be closer to networking. Puma's participation is very valuable, what I am suggesting, would be like the next step to all of his observations.

it's that it shouldn't simply be pasted without context, without participation, because at that point it's not a research forum

The report only lacks context when you read it from time to time. As I mentioned, there is the data and when someone asked something they didn't understand, research was done, even asking directly to the solar physicists via X and reported. On several occasions I shared my point of view and even related it to other threads like "crazy storm weather", "Earthquakes around the world" the sessions and others.

To reduce the time spent on the report I designed a format that I could cut and paste to update the data. It really is a lot of work. If you check Dr. Alex Young's website for example, you will see that there is also a format that appears daily and it is the best way to save time and present the information more simply and concisely.

I think there can only be discussion if the information/data is understood and generates interest, otherwise, as you mention, it is just a cut and paste act and beautiful ephemeris.

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

I'm impressed by the amount of work you do here Puma! From time to time I look up the topics you cover on a daily basis, and I was wondering how you manage to do so much. Plus you seem to know a lot about these topics, so it's always nice when you take time to answer our questions. Much appreciated 😊

I, too, appreciate the work here, Puma. I’ve become kind of a solar activity and cloud formation correlation geek in daily life. While I haven’t posed much discussion myself on this thread, you have inspired me to explore the connection between solar activity, seismic activity, and “looking up.” My camera roll is full of almost daily snapshots of the clouds above my house and place of work. And while my fascination often makes my family giggle, I have two friends I maintain contact with on these topics (one is an hour away and another 3 hours away) and we regularly compare notes on what happens when.24487F48-7228-4DC5-BDA0-F67574EE53F8.jpeg

We appreciate you 🥹

you have inspired me to explore the connection between solar activity, seismic activity, and “looking up.”

Thank you.

I started getting interested in solar activity in 2010 reading posts on the Godlikeproductions forum then researching the terminology and how the phenomena of sunspots, coronal holes, solar wind, etc. worked. I was surprised by the discussions on the relationship between X-class flares and earthquakes, when days before the Fukushima Earthquake an X-class flare happened. Curiosity led me to wonder if this was so. Which led me to investigate earthquakes. Laura has already mentioned it on other occasions, there is a science for this and another for that and it seems that unification is not sought and that everything must be written only for a few to understand.​

This question in the last session, for example, relates earthquakes and solar flares.

(Navigator) After the recent solar flares, some predict that there will now be an uptick in volcanic and earthquake activity in the next 30 days. Will we see that?

A: To some extent, yes.

The Cs response invites you to want to know more if you are interested, they said "to some extent" .... WHY?

Recently irjO asked me a question that I would not have been able to answer if I had not had the solar activity data and the research of others, specifically the SSGEOS group.​

I see a significant increment of magnitude since 2 days ago, I would imagine that this past CME had some effect on it. I guess let's way and see how the following days develops.
No, it is mainly due to electromagnetic energy coming from planetary and lunar geometries, we had four on the 17th and 18th.

Solar Flares and CMEs associated do not cause earthquakes but the electromagnetic relation. There are main factors:

1. Planetary Geometry
2. Impact of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF) > 10nT On possible relation of earthquakes with the sign change of the interplanetary magnetic field radial component
3. State of the Earth's crust
4. Movement and release of energy through the fault system and plate tectonics.

Within the planetary and lunar geometries, the Sun is also included, of course, it is a body

Tomorrow there is no major geometry and we may see a decrease in the number of earthquakes. Let's wait and see.​

Is this just a coincidence?
2024-05-24-overview.png

This leads us to continue observing to confirm or refute this phenomenon. Despite popular belief there is much that is unknown about the Sun.​

This happened yesterday

You see? Even people dedicated to researching the Sun are still SURPRISING themselves.

This is not just "cut and paste"... it's work in the interest of understanding and getting a broader picture. I think it will be better the Cs method of asking questions when something interests you about the Sun and trying to research and answer it properly, so that curiosity is kept burning and with it the search for answers.​

Are you familiar with the electric universe theory @Puma or have you read Pierre's book on the subject? How does that factor in with what you have observed for 14 years?

You see? Even people dedicated to researching the Sun are still SURPRISING themselves.
Right, I completely see it. And it's because of the amount of work I know you do, which is incredibly valuable, that I think it would be more beneficial if you wrote in your own words the conclusions that you have reached, or the conclusion that others have reached. Does that make senes?

Instead of, reading the tweet of Justice and Halo CME, I'm more interested in learning what Puma has to say about it, even if you include them as your references.

It would be more informative, I think, if you wrote "Solar activity showed an increase in X, see [link] and this has lead some to suspect that an uptick in earthquakes would occur as it did in such period [link]" Like I mentioned, the amount of work you do is incredible! but I don't "see" you in it. No one is suggesting you stop, or quit, it's the presentation of the data, the delivery, not the data itself.

To give you another example, it's like if I traveled to somewhere exotic or beautiful, and when you asked me about my trip, I simply remained quiet and only showed you the pictures, didn't say a word. The trip happened, and the pictures are nice, but there's a factor missing which would be the stories of the person who traveled, which can then be illustrated with the pictures.

I hope I am making myself clear. It's not the work that you do that is being declared not valuable, it's the presentation that could be done in a different way to generate more interest and to actually showcase the value of the work you do.

@Alejo

Thanks for your comments, they certainly give guidelines to make something better. I will post when I have something important to comment or say, when something extraordinary happens in order to generate discussion and if not at least inform.

@Puma I have enjoyed your posts in this thread as I'm sure you know. However, I can see how all of the tweets and large images can make pages load much more slowly for some people. Would it be possible to not have so many tweets and such. As Alejo said, maybe you could just link to them instead? Maybe showing one or two that are really important?

@Puma I have enjoyed your posts in this thread as I'm sure you know. However, I can see how all of the tweets and large images can make pages load much more slowly for some people. Would it be possible to not have so many tweets and such. As Alejo said, maybe you could just link to them instead? Maybe showing one or two that are really important?

Yes, in future participations I will only include the hyperlink to the image or to an important comment of a researcher and otherwise focus on sunspots and leave aside the auroral activity except for the IMF value.

The IMF value more than CMEs seems to have more incidence on climatic aberrations, volcanic activity and earthquakes. This certainly needs more observations without a doubt. As the Cs recommended "watch the seas, skies, and land."

Thank you very much Nienna.​

Dr.Tamitha Skov gave her latest report on the current activities of Space Weather.

The Sun Pranks Us with a Halo | Space Weather Spotlight 6 June 2024

THE HIGHEST SUNSPOT NUMBER IN 22 YEARS: The average sunspot number for May 2024 was 172, the highest value in 22 years. So far, June is even higher at 200. If this continues for the rest of the month, June could log the highest sunspot counts since Dec. 2001, rivaling the peak of potent Solar Cycle 23. Solar flare alerts: SMS Text

And two related articles from SOTT.net

The following is a proposal for tracking solar activity. I thank you in advance for your criticisms and comments that give guidelines for continuous improvement.

SOLAR CYCLE 25:ACTIVITY REPORT JUNE 06_2024

As I mentioned earlier I think it is important to track sunspots not only because they give us an indication of where we are in the cycle (maximum or minimum) but also because flares and their associated CMEs often have an impact not only on the planet Earth but on the acceleration of the solar wind and the strength of the interplanetary magnetic field.

Since the last report two new active regions have appeared in the solar disk: AR3703 and AR3704 for the moment with a size smaller than that of the Earth, however AR3703 has developed a gamma component which makes its magnetic field unstable. It is commonly considered that sunspots with gamma and delta components are unstable and can generate M (moderate) and X (strong) class solar flares.

In the current sunspot configuration, the 13697 active region is being watched because in the past and under the number AR3664 it produced several X-class flares. The magnetic configuration of this sunspot indicates that it has a delta component. From the point of view of solar physicists this region has so far performed disappointingly:

● X2.9 on May 27
● X1.4 on May 29
● X1.1 on May 31
● X1.4 on Jun 01
● X1. on Jun 01

AR3697 ( located on the southwest S19W45) will leave the solar disk the next weekend. Possibly when it reappears in the solar disk, in two weeks, it will have already declined even more.

The total number of sunspots is now on the order of 193 of which 61 are grouped into 9 active regions, as shown below:​

Active RegionSunspotsSize (MH) & class
AR3691230 B
AR369720280 Byd
AR369811120 B
AR3699210 B
AR37003110 B
AR3701750 B
AR3702130 a
AR370314110 By new
AR3704120 a new
a (alpha) B (beta) y (gamma) d (delta)

So far we have had low to moderate solar activity with an M6 event at 15:06 UTC on June 06. NOAA forecasts indicate that small C-class flares will continue to predominate with 50% for Class M and 10% for Class X flares mainly from the AR3697 region.

Thanks for reading.​

I feel spoiled but I miss the images. They gave a nice representation to the otherwise seemingly random and boring string of letters and numbers.

Does it actually matter for me — your average civilian — to know where on the sun the spot is located, or how far out the flairs go? No. But as a visual person, it was nice to look at 😊 Oh well.

In the current sunspot configuration, the 13697 active region is being watched because in the past and under the number AR3664 it produced several X-class flares.
During the night, this region (AR3697) erupted with a strong M9 flare (video from Dr Keith Strong on twitter), wich produced as usual a radio blackout and more importantly also generated a proton event.

● X2.9 on May 27
● X1.4 on May 29
● X1.1 on May 31
● X1.4 on Jun 01
● X1. on Jun 01
● M9.7 on Jun 08

For now with this M9 flare, the strengh is constantly decreasing.

I feel spoiled but I miss the images. They gave a nice representation to the otherwise seemingly random and boring string of letters and numbers.

Me too! But I also understand that some people don't have a super fast Internet connection, so finding a compromise would be good, I think.

@Puma, how about considering starting a Substack page, where you make your full posts with pictures and all, and those of us who are interested can subscribe? That way, you are still recording it daily and all (which many of us appreciate!), AND we get to discuss it here. How does that sound? Win-win?

Me too! But I also understand that some people don't have a super fast Internet connection, so finding a compromise would be good, I think.

@Puma, how about considering starting a Substack page, where you make your full posts with pictures and all, and those of us who are interested can subscribe? That way, you are still recording it daily and all (which many of us appreciate!), AND we get to discuss it here. How does that sound? Win-win?
I think this is a very good idea, I was a fan too, and everyday we're taken notes about the solar activity which helped me a lot.
I will be a subscriber 😊 :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom