Sol (Sun) and its phenomena

Perhaps we are reaching some area of space with a higher density of protons, or they are initial waves or nothing as they say.
The higher Proton density measured by DSCOVR wasn't visible in the Proton flux measured by GOES, so maybe there really was something wrong with DSCOVR. Or they are under different conditions, because they are at different locations.

(those anomalies were at Sunday 16th. The current proton flux elevation is from the last CME yesterday)
Screenshot_2023-04-22_15-31-53.png

SOLAR CYCLE 25 ACTIVITY REPORT APRIL 23_2023

Solar activity has been at low levels for the past 24 hours. The largest solar event of the period was a C4 event observed at 01:48 UTC on April 22 from Region 3279 (S19W64).

There are currently 6 numbered sunspot regions on the solar disk: AR3279, AR3281, AR3282, AR3283, AR3284, AR3285

The total number of sunspots has decreased to 87 (27 of these are grouped into 6 active regions) NOAA forecasts for the next 24h: 99% chance for C flares, 35% chance for M flares and 1% chance for X flares. AR3282 has decayed and now all regions have stable magnetic fields.

● Auroral Activity

The geomagnetic field has been at quiet to unsettled levels for the past 24 hours, solar wind speed reached a peak of 457 km/s (Elevated speed) at 11:52 UTC on April 21 Maximum planetary index Kp 3

GEOMAGNETIC STORM WATCH: NOAA forecasters say that G2-class (Moderate) geomagnetic storms are possible on April 24th when a CME is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. There is a chance the storm could escalate to category G3 (Strong). During such storms, auroras have been sighted in the USA as far south as, e.g., Illinois and Oregon. SpaceWeather.com

A curious fact

Millions of people are uncertain about the information about a supposed APOCALYPTIC event that would take place this April 23rd, something that would end civilization as we know it....

According to the theory that has circulated in networks, this unusual activity of the Sun would cause a blackout in all the technology that exists on Earth, due to the high temperatures (?) that the atmosphere could reach, which would be generated by the fulfillment of a cycle of the King Sun, detaching some of its layers and spreading throughout the cosmos.

I don't know who was the author of this prophecy that circulated on the Internet, but it almost hit the mark with the magnetic filament and the M-class flare. The expected geomagnetic storm will be at most G3.

Here is a video from YouTube

Aurora Oval Bz: -0.79 nT South
aurora-map (1).jpg

● Current Conditions at 06:30 UTC on April 23

▪︎ Geospace quiet
▪︎ Geomagnetic conditions now : Kp 2
▪︎ Solar wind speed record: 353.4 km/sec (Normal speed)
▪︎ density: 1.27 p/cm³ (low density)
▪︎ Neutron Counts today: -1.0% (Below Average)
▪︎ X-ray Solar Flare: C1 at 02:47 UTC
▪︎ Sunspot number: 87 (SN 114 April 22)
▪︎ Spotless Days 2023 total: 0 days (0%)

SpaceWeatherlive..com
SpaceWeather.com

GEOMAGNETIC STORM WATCH: NOAA forecasters say that G2-class (Moderate) geomagnetic storms are possible on April 24th when a CME is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. There is a chance the storm could escalate to category G3 (Strong). During such storms, auroras have been sighted in the USA as far south as, e.g., Illinois and Oregon. SpaceWeather.com
There's an update from spaceweather.com
THE CME HAS ARRIVED; SEVERE STORM IN PROGRESS: Arriving earlier than expected, a CME hit Earth's magnetic field today, April 23rd (1737 UT). The impact has sparked a severe G4-class geomagnetic storm, underway now. During such storms in the past, auroras have been sighted in the USA as far south as Texas and California. This could happen again *if* the storm lasts long enough for night to fall over the Americas. Stay tuned.
A BURST OF STATIC FROM THE SUN: The explosion that hurled a CME toward Earth on April 21st also illuminated our planet with an intense burst of shortwave radio static. Amateur astronomer Thomas Ashcraft of New Mexico recorded the outburst:
1682278154736.png

"Few solar radio bursts show as hot purple on my spectrograph, but this one 'rang the bell'," he says. "Here is an audio recording in stereo with 22 MHz in one channel and 19 MHz in the other."

The static in Ashcraft's recording, which washes over the listener like a slow ocean wave, is naturally produced. Astronomers classify it as a Type V solar radio burst caused by energetic beams of electrons ray-gunning through the sun's atmosphere. The electrons were accelerated by the same underlying explosion that hurled a CME toward Earth.
Solar radio bursts are an underappreciated form of space weather. We often talk about radio blackouts, which happen when solar flares ionize the top of Earth's atmosphere. A radio blackout suppresses the normal propagation of terrestrial radio signals. Solar radio bursts are different; they produce a radio drownout. Intense static from the sun overwhelms normal transmissions, drowning out the voices radio operators are trying to hear.

From spaceweather.com
SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM IN PROGRESS: Arriving earlier than expected, a CME hit Earth's magnetic field today, April 23rd, at 1737 UT. The impact sparked a severe G4-class geomagnetic storm with auroras sighted in Europe sighted as far south as France. The storm is still going on and it is starting to produce visible auroras in the USA as well. Here is a picture from Kentucky! Stay tuned for more auroras as night falls across North America.
Had not seen these before!
The auroras in Europe were so bright, they could be seen even from brightly-lit urban areas. Thomas Hunger sends this report from Berlin, Germany: "I run Northern Lights tours in Tromsø, Norway, but would have never dreamt of seeing auroras from my home town of Berlin. I stepped on the balcony and enjoyed a sight that in a city of 4 million inhabitants might just have been a once-in-a-lifetime experience."
Tomasz Adam had a similar experience in Kraków, Poland: "I saw auroras for the first time in my life," he says. "My photo might not look like much, but I took it from Kraków - one of the most light polluted cities of Poland."
REALTIME IMAGE GALLERY

SOLAR CYCLE 25 ACTIVITY REPORT APRIL 24_2023

Solar activity has been at low levels for the past 24 hours. The largest solar event of the period was a C2 event observed at 06:40 UTC on April 23 from Region 3279 (S19W78).

There are currently 6 numbered sunspot regions on the solar disk: AR3279, AR3281, AR3282, AR3283, AR3284, AR3285

The total number of sunspots has decreased to 86 (26 of these are grouped into 6 active regions) NOAA forecasts for the next 24h: 75% chance for C flares, 25% chance for M flares and 1% chance for X flares.

● Auroral Activity

The geomagnetic field has been at quiet to severe storm levels for the past 24 hours. Severe G4 geomagnetic storm (Kp8) threshold reached at 19:44 UTC. solar wind speed reached a peak of 733 km/s (High speed) at 20:57 UTC on April 23 Maximum planetary index Kp 8

The solar wind density reached a peak of 60 p/cm³ around 03:00 UTC en April 24. This time there is justification for this phenomenon.
chrome_screenshot_1682312331469.png

Aurora Oval Bz: -26.32 nT South

● Current Conditions at 05:00 UTC on April 24

▪︎ Severe geomagnetic storm
▪︎ Geomagnetic conditions now : Kp 7
▪︎ Solar wind speed record: 549.7 km/sec (Moderately high speed)
▪︎ density: 10.13 p/cm³ (Moderate density)
▪︎ Neutron Counts today: -1.0% (Below Average)
▪︎ X-ray Solar Flare: B7 at 04:46 UTC
▪︎ Sunspot number: 86 (SN 87 April 23)

SpaceWeatherlive..com
SpaceWeather.com

Oh, that is so typical.

Here in Stockholm... just in time for the major geomagnetic outbreak... the clouds covered the entire sky :curse: (and will last for quite some time)

The latest Aurora Oval (forecast) for this moment, 24 April 2023 06.40 UTC looks powerful - not to mention the power input of a whopping 227 GW. Just wow.

Kiruna in the extreme north of Sweden, didn't see much from the Auroras, because the sky there is already too bright, a sort of middle blue at best around midnight. And soon the season for auroral visibility over Stockholm, as well, once we go into the first week of May.

aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg_-2023-04-24-at-08.07.28.png

Last edited:
The Northern lights appeared over Moscow. It was also seen by residents of the Moscow region, St. Petersburg and Leningrad region, Tver, Vologda, Kazan and Nizhny Novgorod.

Video on rbc:

Pity, i went to sleep shortly before🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
What is interesting, I've had very vivid dreams today, to the point that a few minutes after weakening I still got reality mixed with dream narration. Normally, I don't remember my dreams at all, today was very different. Not only me, but all of my family wanted to share their today's dreams when we met in the kitchen :huh: Maybe it has happened for more forum members today?

What is interesting, I've had very vivid dreams today, to the point that a few minutes after weakening I still got reality mixed with dream narration. Normally, I don't remember my dreams at all, today was very different. Not only me, but all of my family wanted to share their today's dreams when we met in the kitchen :huh: Maybe it has happened for more forum members today?
Same for me ! Almost every night I see dreams but never remember them (just few exceptions) but today the dream was very vivid and I remembered it in the morning as if it was true ... Seems these magnetic anomalies somehow connected to our psyche

SOLAR CYCLE 25 ACTIVITY REPORT APRIL 25_2023

Solar activity has been at low levels for the past 24 hours. The largest solar event of the period was a C2 event observed at 13:05 UTC on April 24 from Region 3283 (S23W56).

There are currently 7 numbered sunspot regions on the solar disk: AR3279, AR3282, AR3283, AR3284, AR3285 and new regions AR3286, AR3287
hmi200.jpg

The total number of sunspots has increased to 88 (18 of these are grouped into 7 active regions) NOAA forecasts for the next 24h: 55% chance for C flares, 15% chance for M flares and 1% chance for X flares. All regions have stable magnetic fields.

● Auroral Activity

The geomagnetic field has been at unsettled to severe storm levels for the past 24 hours. solar wind speed reached a peak of 636 km/s (High speed) at 00:59 UTC on April 24 Maximum planetary index Kp 8

THE STORM IS SUBSIDING: A severe G4-class geomagnetic storm that sparked auroras over Europe, China, and most of the United States on April 23-24 is subsiding. The storm was caused by a CME hitting Earth's magnetic field. Minor (G1) to moderate (G2) geomagnetic storm remain possible on April 24-25 as Earth exits the CME's wake. SpaceWeather.com

Aurora Oval Bz: 4.86 nT North
aurora-map.jpg

Solar wind flowing from this equatorial coronal hole should reach Earth on April 27-28.
coronalhole_sdo_200.gif

● Current Conditions at 05:00 UTC on April 25

▪︎ Geospace unsettled
▪︎ Geomagnetic conditions now : Kp 3
▪︎ Solar wind speed record: 547.5 km/sec (Moderately high speed)
▪︎ density: 10.7 p/cm³ (Moderate density)
▪︎ Neutron Counts today: -3.4% (Below Average)
▪︎ X-ray Solar Flare: C1 at 03:01 UTC
▪︎ Sunspot number: 88 (SN 86 April 24)

SpaceWeatherlive..com
SpaceWeather.com

SOLAR CYCLE 25 ACTIVITY REPORT APRIL 26_2023

Solar activity has been at low levels for the past 24 hours. The largest solar event of the period was a C1 event observed at 08:07 UTC on April 25 from Region 3288 (S22E24)

There are currently 7 numbered sunspot regions on the solar disk: AR3283, AR3284, AR3285, AR3286, AR3287 and new regions AR3288, AR3289
hmi200 (1).jpg

The total number of sunspots has decreased to 87 (15 of these are grouped into 7 active regions) NOAA forecasts for the next 24h: 50% chance for C flares, 10% chance for M flares and 1% chance for X flares. All regions have stable magnetic fields.

● Auroral Activity

The geomagnetic field has been at quiet to unsettled levels for the past 24 hours. solar wind speed reached a peak of 575 km/s (Moderately High speed) at 02:29 UTC on April 25 Maximum planetary index Kp 3

ANOTHER CME IS COMING: But this one will not cause a severe geomagnetic storm. Unlike the CME that struck Earth directly on March 23rd, the next CME will deliver only a glancing blow. It was hurled into space on April 24th by an explosion in the sun's southern hemisphere; most of the CME will sail harmlessly south of our planet. Minor G1-class geomagnetic storms are possible on April 27th when the CME arrives. SpaceWeather.com
southern_filament_strip.gif

Aurora Oval Bz: 0.39 nT North
aurora-map (1).jpg

● Current Conditions at 04:40 UTC on April 26

▪︎ Geospace unsettled
▪︎ Solar wind speed record: 527.8 km/sec (Moderately high speed)
▪︎ density: 9.88 p/cm³ (Moderate density)
▪︎ Neutron Counts today: -3.6% (Below Average)
▪︎ X-ray Solar Flare: C1 at 03:55 UTC
▪︎ Sunspot number: 87 (SN 88 April 25)

SpaceWeatherlive..com
SpaceWeather.com

SOLAR CYCLE 25 ACTIVITY REPORT APRIL 27_2023

Solar activity has been at low levels for the past 24 hours. The largest solar event of the period was a C2 event observed at 14:23 UTC on April 26 from Region 3289 (N20E58)

CANNIBAL CME: The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) just witnessed the formation of a 'cannibal CME.' In this coronagraph movie, note how a bright CME emerging from the sun's northeastern limb (11 o'clock position) sweeps up a slower, fainter CME almost directly ahead of it (10 o'clock position):
cannibal_opt.gif
Cannibal CMEs are great at sparking geomagnetic storms and auroras. When two CMEs merge, the compression creates shock waves and enhanced magnetic fields that can poke holes in Earth's magnetosphere--opening the door to strong storms. Some of the biggest geomagnetic storms in recorded history were probably caused by cannibal CMEs.

Auroras watchers, don't get your hopes up. This particular cannibal CME will not affect our planet. It is heading away from us. Maybe next time. SpaceWeather.com​

There are currently 8 numbered sunspot regions on the solar disk: AR3284, AR3285, AR3286, AR3287, AR3288, AR3289 and new regions AR3290, AR3291
hmi200.jpg
The total number of sunspots has decreased to 81 (23 of these are grouped into 8 active regions) NOAA forecasts for the next 24h: 50% chance for C flares, 10% chance for M flares and 1% chance for X flares. All regions have stable magnetic fields.

● Auroral Activity

The geomagnetic field has been at quiet to unsettled levels for the past 24 hours. solar wind speed reached a peak of 611 km/s (Moderately High speed) at 20:09 UTC on April 25 Maximum planetary index Kp 4

Solar wind flowing from this equatorial coronal hole should reach Earth on April 28
coronalhole_sdo_200.gif

Aurora Oval Bz: -5.84 nT South
aurora-map.jpg

● Current Conditions at 04:00 UTC on April 27

▪︎ Geospace active
▪︎ Geomagnetic conditions now : Kp 4
▪︎ Solar wind speed record: 661.5 km/sec (Moderately high speed)
▪︎ density: 0.68 p/cm³ (low density)
▪︎ Neutron Counts today: -1.8% (Below Average)
▪︎ X-ray Solar Flare: C3 at 00:58 UTC
▪︎ Sunspot number: 81 (SN 87 April 26)

SpaceWeatherlive..com
SpaceWeather.com

SOLAR CYCLE 25 ACTIVITY REPORT APRIL 28_2023

Solar activity has been at moderate levels for the past 24 hours. The largest solar event of the period was a M1.9 event observed at 11:14 UTC on April 27 from Region 3288 (S23W07).it caused a minor R1 radio blackout over Mediterranean sea and North Africa

There are currently 7 numbered sunspot regions on the solar disk: AR3285, AR3286, AR3288, AR3289, AR3290, AR3291 and new region AR3292

The total number of sunspots has increased to 136 (66 of these are grouped into 7 active regions) NOAA forecasts for the next 24h: 85% chance for C flares, 25% chance for M flares and 1% chance for X flares.

Active region 3288 has developed a beta-gamma-delta magnetic field: A sunspot group with a beta-gamma (bipolar) magnetic configuration but containing one (or more) delta sunspots.(opposite polarity) Delta sunspots rarely last more than one rotation of the sun. They decay faster than other sunspots. However, new delta spots can form within the same area. AR3288 harbors energy for M-class solar flares

chrome_screenshot_1682655838582.png

● Auroral Activity

The geomagnetic field has been at unsettled to active levels for the past 24 hours. solar wind speed reached a peak of 720 km/s (Moderately High speed) at 05:46 UTC on April 25 Maximum planetary index Kp 4

Aurora Oval Bz: -3.95 nT South
aurora-map.jpg

Current Conditions at 04:30 UTC on April 28

▪︎ Geospace unsettled
▪︎ Solar wind speed record: 573 km/sec (Moderately high speed)
▪︎ density: 11.07 p/cm³ (Moderate density)
▪︎ Neutron Counts today: -0.8% (Below Average)
▪︎ X-ray Solar Flare: C6 at 01:22 UTC
▪︎ Sunspot number: 136 (SN 81 April 27)

SpaceWeatherlive..com
SpaceWeather.com

Back
Top Bottom