Some tips for getting out of sleep paralysis and the spontaneous OOBE

I understand that Astral Projection (AP) and having intentional out of body experiences (OOBE) is frowned upon here in general and even though I think there is no wrong way to get to the right place, there are many pitfalls, u-turns, and re-routes that can be avoided by following proven paths such as the one dominant one presented, endorsed and followed by the majority of the members here. In fact, I find it very complimentary to my own and if I had some time traveling abilities, I would have no problem with never of having had my first OOBE. The OOBE is not important in the least, the lessons are and there are many ways to reach the same lesson.

It is not my intentions to change anyone's mind about AP or OOBE but after reading through many posts, I have noticed that there are lots of people that are finding themselves unintentionally in the various stages that usually precede these experiences. Many of the people are frightened and the advice they are given is insufficient. I'm not saying that mine is any better but at least it comes from years of personal experience and research.

I want to just address some of the most common concerns that people have when they find themselves in these situations.

While I am personally grateful for having been placed on my personal path, I understand that it is not for everyone. To find any benefit from AP, you will have to let go of your ego and fears. This is not easy and can have a negative effect on people who jump in half-heartedly or scare easily.

The truth, as I have come to see it, is that you are "tapping" into a "higher consciousness system" that we are not currently interfaced to interact with, i.e., we are in physical bodies. Experimenting with AP even, if you believe you are unsuccessful, can still open yourself to other phenomena that are interwoven with this state of consciousness that you attempted to reach. You may have premonitions or precognitive visions.

Many people have reported that they just suddenly know something and it turns out to be true. While that in and of itself may not seem scary, it forces most people out of their comfort zones and directly confronts some of there fast held beliefs about how they think reality works.

Then there is the aspect of having to suddenly deal with seeing spirits and beings that you never really believed existed. This isn't very common but it happens often enough that it needs to be addressed. So if you are not comfortable with any of that, than AP is definitely not for you because you will scare yourself away from any of the benefits while having to deal with the negatives.

So now you know that AP is not for you but what do you do if it occurs spontaneously or you awake only to find yourself in the state of sleep paralysis (SP)?

First, you need to understand a little about SP. It is a natural state that we all go through every night so that we do not physically act out our dreams and hurt our self or someone else. It is not a true state of paralysis as your brain can still receive input from external stimuli. We are normally not meant to ever be consciously aware of the process but it happens. Following the diet suggestions here and applying the breathing techniques will help most people to get a full night's rest so that they don't wake up frequently, thus increasing the odds of finding yourself in this state. Avoid sleeping on your back if you can.

Some of the most common symptoms of SP are the inability to move right away. There is a sense of something heavy pushing you down which can make it feel like it is hard to breathe. People often feel "vibrations" or the sensation of electricity running through them. Science doesn't have a reasonable explanation for those sensations so your belief is as good as any.

Many people often feel or sense a "presence" in the room. This creates a conundrum for me. Since I am a believer of Alien abductions and such, I can't dismiss that this is the state that we are most often taken advantage of but I can say that it is most likely not the case for the vast majority of us. I have found myself in SP many times and E.T. can just as easily be Kermit the Frog once the panicking stops and I get control of the situation. We can get caught up in a fear-loop where we "sense" something negative and then manifest it visually while we are still in a semi-dream state.

So educate yourself about SP, it's that simple. In the moment, even the most knowledgeable people on the subject, can do very little to stop that sudden panic response but knowledge can turn a very frightening event into something that you can almost instantly dismiss and return to sleep. If that doesn't sound reasonable to you, then please feel free to check for "aliens" because like I said, even I believe they can sometimes be there.

If you do not panic in the SP state and you find yourself curious of the "vibrations", do not experiment with them or just let them occur. They are not dangerous but if you do not want to AP, you need to stop them by focusing on moving your body. Your big toe will work if that's all you can manage.

The reason I say this is because these "vibrations" are like a sign post that say "nest stop ahead: OOBE".

Unfortunately for those who do not want to have the experience, you can "awake" only to find yourself right in the middle of one. It is very important that you do not panic. You are very susceptible to your fears and you will manifest the unholiest of the unholy if you get carried away. Understand that these are mental projections of your own fears and you can't be harmed but you are in a state of consciousness where you can manifest whatever it is that is on your mind. If you are not frightened than you may end up seeing your long lost puppy or maybe grandma. Who knows, I've seen so much but I wouldn't dare say that I have seen it all.

Anyways, you want to stop the experience, remember? Unfortunately extreme fright and panic are not always enough nor is actual excitement and joy. Those emotions will stop you from having an intentional OOBE almost every time but are no match, it seems, for the spontaneous OOBE.

If you find that you are able to see yourself sleeping, go ahead and lie down on it. Before you know it, you will "wiggle" yourself back in.

If you are in never-never land and have no idea where your physical body is, then just think about it. Ignore everything else that you are "seeing" and concentrate on your physical body. You will almost instantly find yourself there.

Now understand that I am in speaking in metaphors that I don't necessarily believe in. I don't think that we are actually leaving our bodies and going anywhere for that matter. We are experiencing a different state of consciousness in which time and space do not exist.

If you find anything that I have said offensive or counter to your current path, please understand that I am not evangelizing here. I am just trying to give people some practical tips to help them out of a situation that they don't want to be in. If you prefer soul or spirit over consciousness, that's fine and acceptable. Remember, that even words themselves are metaphors and unless we want to reinvent a perfectly fine language, we each have to go with something that we believe will get the message across. :)

Hi, astrozombie. Thanks for your tips on how to stop the SP. Your tips resemble the experiences of others around here - if you do a search on "sleep paralysis" you can find several threads discussing this phenomenon.

I agree that Astral Projection or alike are not for everyone, in fact I can't see why something like this would be recommended for anyone. But I'm interested in hearing your experiences and take on this, in what way do you feel that AP:s and OBE:s could be beneficial for someone? Why would someone want to do that?

Hi Aragon.

I would still be a Catholic and following rituals while holding on to dogma that would have never allowed my eyes to "open".

You have to understand that even meditation is considered dangerous by most Christian denominations and it's easy to see why. Doing so has a tendency to help people break those shackles that they never knew were even there. My first OOBE led me on a path that allowed me to see that I was being deceived. It did so in a way that no common-sense talk from anyone could have ever done.

Like any capability that we humans have, we have to make a choice on how we wish to use it. It's possible to "visit" other planets and see dinosaurs in the flesh. That's fun and all but it isn't very satisfying without purpose.

I wanted to change who I was because I was always chasing money and such and was never happy no matter how much I had. I was either lucky or cursed depending on how you want to look at it but I never had to work for anything or worry about money except how to get more. I wanted to be more successful than my parents and all that bull.

If I hadn't thought that I was really dead in my first spontaneous OOBE, I might never have learned what really matters. This brought on a dreadful fear of death and damnation that I have since gotten past through my experiences. I have gotten over many of my fears and have learned the origins of some that didn't even stem from this lifetime.

I have seen a few of my past lives. That almost got to be addicting and I was thankfully snapped out of it. But I'm grateful for what I did see.

I have helped retrieve "lost" souls. I have to say that this has become one of the most personally gratifying things that I have done through my experiences but I had to be careful because it's easy to the right things for the wrong reasons. In other words, I was starting to do it because of how good it made me feel with little thought to it just being the right thing to do.

With that said, it is a good feeling to help someone move into the "light". I will admit that I have never seen the light that they supposedly go into but it's as good a metaphor as any.

Though I have no recollection of any physical encounters with "aliens", I have dealt with their essence in many forms and I know first hand, that they are energy and life draining leeches. I was even shown how I was one once upon a time and in that respect, it's easier not to judge but I have to look after this lifetime now because I have lessons unlearned galore and I don't wish to sympathize just because I was one.

If it wasn't for my OOBE I would never had seen the relevance of what is being done here. I would have wondered how anybody could have been suckered into all this "baloney" about the C's and the lizzies, fourth this, second that. I would have laughed for days at the poor people wasting their lives on this. And all the while, I would have been the fool that the leeches count on for their lunch.

To be honest, there are still a lot of discrepancies between what I have personally seen and think that I have come to know as true and what is being presented here as truth. But there is sooooo much that synchronizes perfectly, that I must pay attention and see why that is.

Much of what we see during an OOBE is based on our perceptions and beliefs. As they change, you are "allowed" to see more. Things stop changing so drastically because you can finally see it for what it is. I've seen some pretty big and bad scary dudes that I would have perceived to be a demon had I held on to my old beliefs. One such demon ended up being a suicide teen age girl that thought I was a demon so she projected the most fearsome image that she could muster. She change her image but her energy signature didn't jive with what I was seeing.

I never did convince her that I wasn't a demon though and she went on her way in a hurry. The next time this occurred, I was the one that left in a hurry because I didn't know what the heck it was. It certainly wasn't a scared girl. But it was a lesson in any case and I have since learned to look at their energies and not their projected images. Whatever comes "next" is filled with all that stuff.

Unfortunately, I can't read people like that in the physical world so I have to look at their actions and their deeds like everyone else. I was taught early on that such "gifts" are not gifts if you seek them out. Let them come and go because they will come when you need them but if you try to master them, you will rely on the wrong one at the wrong time. I'm talking about clairvoyance, telepathy, reading aura's and any other psychic phenomenon you can think of.

But anyways, thanks for your sincere interest. :)

Since you know that we work in a practical way and, as you said, astral projection is "frowned on", why in the world would you bring it up as you have?

Perhaps this is not the right forum for you. Perhaps you need your own website and forum where you can teach those who want a different path than the one offered here?

Laura said:
Since you know that we work in a practical way and, as you said, astral projection is "frowned on", why in the world would you bring it up as you have?

Perhaps this is not the right forum for you. Perhaps you need your own website and forum where you can teach those who want a different path than the one offered here?

Indeed, I see a frog on slow boil, especially in light of this:

astrozombie said:
I have seen a few of my past lives. That almost got to be addicting and I was thankfully snapped out of it.
[...]
I have helped retrieve "lost" souls. I have to say that this has become one of the most personally gratifying things that I have done through my experiences but I had to be careful because it's easy to the right things for the wrong reasons. In other words, I was starting to do it because of how good it made me feel with little thought to it just being the right thing to do.

Besides the Wave chapter on addiction to emotions, astrozombie, I would recommend reading the Carlos Castaneda books on our list. You will want to understand, achieve and sustain a state of sobriety in this Work because that's an important precondition for deep realizations.

~Added:

You can read more about THE PARABLE OF THE BOILED FROG in The Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge and elsewhere.

...the frog's internal apparatus for sensing threats to survival is geared to sudden changes in his environment, not to slow, gradual changes.

Spontaneous things like OOBE's can happen to anyone (use to happen to me all the time as a kid). Forcing it is another matter.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/wave11h.htm

10-05-96
A: There are no limits, just controls... The knowledge gives one all the necessary tools to overcome the controls.
Q: (L) Lilly took a particular type of inititation today, and she had an event occur during this.... [Lilly described the event as leaving her body and going through a "life review" sort of what is described as happening at the time of death.]
A: She should be careful not to “spread herself too thin.” One does not need to cram learning, “steady as she goes.”
Q: (L) Can you describe what it was that was taking place with her? Or define it?
A: Soul bilocation.
Q: (L) Was this a beneficial event for her?
A: No. She has been ripping open the fabric too much. Each soul has its own patterning, which is held in place by the three main bodies of existence [planchette swirls a few times] ... “thought/consciousness center, spirit/etheric center and physical center,” remembering, of course, that your physical center has the "interface genetic body" as well. But we are here dealing with the primary patterns. There are specific methodologies for adjusting these, and travelling into or out of other planes of existence. When one does not properly utilize these, one tears the fabric of their trilateral continuum when they seek to travel. This can be very problematic, and may lead to the soul being unable to reconnect with the body, thus causing the physical center to perish!!!
Q: (L) The man who was facilitating the initiation, was he aware of what was happening, or what he was doing?
A: Aware only of unusual sensates.
Q: (L) Did it have anything to do with the attunement?
A: No. It had to do with previous experiments.
Q: (L) She said that she also experienced a past life review just as if she were in the process of dying.
A: You described it well.
Q: (R) Well, experiments by who?
A: You. [Meaning Lilly.]
Q: (L) So, what was, what happened with this interaction that caused this to trigger right there and then? At that moment? What was the trigger?
A: Spirit center stimulus. The “initiation.”

Going from Catholic Dogma (all these things are evil) to where you are now (all these things are exciting!) is understandable - often when you have lived in an oppressive environment/culture people will rebel by going in totally the opposite direction. Rebelling is a totally normal human thing to do!

But chasing experiences like this, is like trying to wonder around a jungle without knowing you are surrounded by dangerous plants/animals.
If it's something that happens naturally and spontaneously then fine - but chasing after it? Really bad idea!
Inviting others to come join you in the same jungle without knowing the risks involved? That's not considerate of others well being to put it mildly.
I would be doing a dis-service to you and others if I didn't warn you of the dangers.

"So, preserve yourselves, my brothers, from the calamities of this place, for distinguishing it is extremely difficult! Souls find it sweet, and then within it they are duped, since they become completely enamoured of it." - The Sufi Path of Knowledge

If you want a better idea of the jungle you are inviting people to play in see Stalking

For me, promoting the idea of AP to unknown others based on one's own positive "experiences" with it, is similar to promoting the idea that unknown others should engage in drug taking because of one's own positive experiences with drugs. The point being, such an attitude does not take into consideration the very large differences between different human beings, especially in terms of their psyches. If the extent of those differences were truly understood, I can't imagine anyone promoting what is, by definition, an entirely unique and subjective experience in a way that makes it sound like it readily applies to a large number of other people that one has never met.

RedFox said:
Spontaneous things like OOBE's can happen to anyone (use to happen to me all the time as a kid).

Same here, and with lucid dreaming on occasion. I even became fascinated with remote-viewing and read every word my research could find on that and other similar topics. As it happened, eventually I was turned off of those subjects because of an inability to discern and separate imagination from fact - even with loads of stories and anecdotal evidence.

Perhaps you might have missed the message that it was tips on how to stop the experiences from happening. I did previously suggest to another member to "immerse" herself in the experience before I knew it was discouraged. This made me think that I was missing something. Now, I can't present my experiences in a negative manner because I have not yet come to see them as such. As of now, I find this path complimentary to my own, but I am completely willing to forgo one or the other and both should the knowledge and personal experience make it prudent. It is my hope for everyone to do the same should they feel something is not right for them.

Perhaps this is not the right forum for you.

You may be correct but I was looking for a place that could challenge my beliefs so that I might avoid a trap. As you know, we are all incapable of seeing certain aspects of ourselves and can become blind to our own faults. Networking is an efficient way to accomplish this.

Perhaps you need your own website and forum where you can teach those who want a different path than the one offered here?

I would never consider myself a teacher. All I can do is relate my experiences. If all I did was relate my experiences to other people that also viewed them as positive, I wouldn't be networking. I would be looking for "buddies" to slap me on the back and tell me what a good guy I am.

You can read more about THE PARABLE OF THE BOILED FROG in The Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge and elsewhere.

That has always been one of my favorite parables. As a child, I almost tested it to see if it was true. Luckily for the frogs, I was too squeamish. Maybe lucky for me too. ;)

But if you reexamine the part of my post that you quoted, you can see Buddy, I have already realized the negative side of becoming addicted to emotions. At least, I meant to make that part clear but I am not the most proficient writer. :)

Going from Catholic Dogma (all these things are evil) to where you are now (all these things are exciting!) is understandable - often when you have lived in an oppressive environment/culture people will rebel by going in totally the opposite direction. Rebelling is a totally normal human thing to do!

It wasn't rebelling so much as it was Wait a sec!! I'm being lied to and I want to know by whom. It was all very exciting and a tad scary 13 years ago when the experiences first started happening. But the novelty has run it's course and I have seen what I have seen and it's time for me to compare what I have learned to the lessons of others and see what doesn't fit.

I imagine you can all understand why I would be fascinated with a forum of people who are learning much of the same things that I have but by different means. This place, you people, are what is exciting me now!

I have worked on myself and my ego for 13 years now because the only way to change the world is to change yourself. Though, I never knew that I would one day care about changing the world, at least not in some way that wasn't immediately beneficial to me.

I have done plenty of STS and now I have a STO feeling that has awakened in me. The last thing I want to do is send someone down the wrong road even if it was the same road I took and it seemed positive all along.

I am currently reading The Wave series as well, as referencing the suggestions from the members as they present them. I am relating my experiences as I recall them so that you all may see what I wasn't capable of seeing. I admit, that my wish for you all to do so is out of STS. But perhaps, out of STO, you all won't mind.

I will continue to do my part and read the suggested works. But dang, there's so many of them and they are all great. And in the end, all will be lessons for everyone and you may just have another great thread for Baked Noodles!

Anyways, thanks again. :)

astrozombie said:
if you reexamine the part of my post that you quoted, you can see Buddy, I have already realized the negative side of becoming addicted to emotions.

Yes, I included your statement in that quote on purpose.

astrozombie said:
At least, I meant to make that part clear...

Thanks for going on record with that confirmation - at least in relation to the mentioned activities. Two down, a zillion to go? Wait...maybe that's me.

Astrozombie, to give my honest impression, given it could very well be just a projection, I read from your post an underlying thread of condescension, masked mind you by a few things that would be seen as acceptable on this forum. Maybe the fact that your relaying of OOBEs wasn't received well brought up some hurt and the post in that light could of been about managing that hurt. I'd know as its just how I entered here. Your choosen forum name suggests the topic is important to you as well. But as I said, I could be wrong.

Anyhow with OOBE's the question I'd ask myself is whether focusing on it helps me develop myself in a way that is demonstrated by how I live? Does having OOBE's help me see myself clearly? Does it help me see my shadows in a way I wouldn't in my day to day life? Does it make my thinking more objective? Am I frustrated less? Etc. Hope that's helpful.

astrozombie said:
Perhaps you might have missed the message that it was tips on how to stop the experiences from happening.
Oops. Well that will teach me not to skim read late at night after reading emotional threads. Completely missread the title and context of the replies. Sorry about that. :-[

I understand where you are coming from as it was the 'odd' experiences that got me here too.
One of the first things pointed out to me was that working with the practical is something you can do to stop these things occurring so much. More so than 'ethereal' as it lacks so much context and humans are so subjective it's next to impossible to interpret intangible experiences without a very broad and testable reality based context and grounding.

On OOBEs and SP - like you say the diet is probably the most important. I had SP come back after slipping up on the diet a few years back. EE breathing and doing pipe breathing and POTS before sleep help a lot. Not being in a negative environment or around negative people also helps reduce these events. Sleeping in complete darkness also has a big impact. My last SP happened whilst sleeping in day light.

The one thing I did learn was that during SP breathing has the biggest effect on how quickly it passes. Deep breathing into your belly will help snap you out of it pretty quickly.

astrozombie said:
You may be correct but I was looking for a place that could challenge my beliefs so that I might avoid a trap. As you know, we are all incapable of seeing certain aspects of ourselves and can become blind to our own faults. Networking is an efficient way to accomplish this.

If that is really what you are looking for, I think this forum won't disappoint you... ;D

RedFox said:
astrozombie said:
Perhaps you might have missed the message that it was tips on how to stop the experiences from happening.
Oops. Well that will teach me not to skim read late at night after reading emotional threads. Completely missread the title and context of the replies. Sorry about that. :-[

I understand where you are coming from as it was the 'odd' experiences that got me here too.

Not so fast. While it was "tips to stop" the experiences, it was written in a way that was highly suggestive that the experiences were a positive thing if just looked at in the right way. As Alkhemst noted, there was an underlying tone of condescension.

It's a nice article for you to put on your own blog. Go for it.

Maybe the fact that your relaying of OOBEs wasn't received well brought up some hurt and the post in that light could of been about managing that hurt. I'd know as its just how I entered here. Your choosen forum name suggests the topic is important to you as well. But as I said, I could be wrong.

NOPE, you are correct.

That was my original reaction. Without trying to be too redundant here, like I said, I am grateful for what I have learned. Every lesson.

Permit me to butcher a famous quote, "Truth hurts in proportion to the truth." I don't want to bore you with something I'm sure you have all heard before but it is relevant.

It's true that I love my mother. If someone was to tell me that I didn't, it would not bother me in the least because of it's absurdity. So if OOBE are truly positive, why is it hurtful to be told otherwise?

The C's transcript that RedFox quoted here for me was a big eye opener. I had already read that transcript but I had completely missed the context because they used the term "soul bilcation" and I mistook it to have only been a bad thing for her (Lily) in particular to experience. After 13 years of these experiences, I have to really think about this in particular:

one tears the fabric of their trilateral continuum when they seek to travel. This can be very problematic, and may lead to the soul being unable to reconnect with the body, thus causing the physical center to perish!!!

Then I read Perceval's post and thought his comparison of OOBE to a drug was a stretch. Putting the strict definition of a drug aside, I then saw how I did become dependent on the experiences though I have gone from initiating them from 2-3 times a week to once every month or two. This is over 13 years, and mind you the keyword is initiate. Because we all know, they do occur spontaneous and once developed, it happens much more frequently. Without Perceval's post, I never would have likened my experiences to a drug and dependency on anything leaves one very vulnerable.

I also must consider the way I was "directed" to this forum. While meditating, I was told that I was onto something but there was a place to find more accurate data. At the time I was interested in another site and what they had to say, however, they were contradicting themselves all over the place.

I have NEVER heard anything directly while meditating, not a familiar, clear and distinct voice with purpose anyhow.

Now to me that means something positive. To someone who has seen this before, I'm sure it is suspect. I can claim my intent is true all I want but when the possibility exists that one can do the bidding of others without being aware of it, saying otherwise is trying to refute the irrefutable.

Anyhow with OOBE's the question I'd ask myself is whether focusing on it helps me develop myself in a way that is demonstrated by how I live? Does having OOBE's help me see myself clearly? Does it help me see my shadows in a way I wouldn't in my day to day life? Does it make my thinking more objective? Am I frustrated less? Etc. Hope that's helpful.

Today, my answer to that is still yes. But I'm more than open to the possibility that I have been duped. 13 years can't be erased overnight but the reflection I'm receiving now is invaluable.

-------------------------------------------------
To Laura, other admins, and mods:

I do not wish to disrupt this community and I will make no references to my experiences other than on this thread. I find what is being discussed to be of great service to me as I am still a STS being.

I would like to make a few posts here (this thread) on some of my most memorable experiences. The reason being is that right now, I'm not seeing them as negative and that may never happen. But I am more than capable of bearing the truth and taking criticism. I am not a glutton for punishment so it is better to take the swats now while their is time to learn.

This is your land, I am the "traveler" and you possess the "scale of the law". Please note, that I am not delusional in the least, and I do not pretend to come with divine revelation.

I am reading everything you guy's are saying and taking it all in.

I now have more context for reflection, however, my mirror will only show me what I want to see as the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of deflection.

I am not asking for anyone's undivided attention nor do I want to be the center of anything. If this is not acceptable at this time, we can end this thread though I wish to stick around. :)

Back
Top Bottom