Sourdough Bread

Laura said:
I would use ground cashews since I canNOT tolerate almonds. They are evil and deadly!

Fwiw....they are all evil and deadly. :lol: (tree nut allergies stink)

« Reply #12 of Approaching Infinity on: Today at 05:45:35 PM »

-in a blender, mix 1 cup of yam puree, 2 eggs, and 1/3 cup of honey (I make a xylitol syrup instead: boil just under a cup or so of water with about 2 tbsp of xylitol down to 1/3 cup and add a little xanthan gum to thicken it) for 2 minutes

-add 1 cup of almond flour, baking soda and spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt), and blend for 1 minute.

-pour in an 8x8 inch pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350

If you can tolerate the almonds, it's really a nice treat.

Hi Approaching Infinity, in your recipe "sweet potato power" is missing oil or grease.

anart said:
Laura said:
While we intend to stay ketogenic most of the time, and definitely for the duration of the current experiment, we ARE planning on some Christmas feast goodies which will include cakes and pies - all gluten and dairy free, of course - and maybe cookies made with nut flours. AFTER the holidays, we'll go back to total ketosis and see how we do through that challenge.

Just be prepared to put on 8-10 pounds over a three week period. ;)

Gimpy said:
Laura said:
I would use ground cashews since I canNOT tolerate almonds. They are evil and deadly!

Fwiw....they are all evil and deadly. :lol: (tree nut allergies stink)

:pinocchio:

Laura said:
While we intend to stay ketogenic most of the time, and definitely for the duration of the current experiment, we ARE planning on some Christmas feast goodies which will include cakes and pies - all gluten and dairy free, of course - and maybe cookies made with nut flours. AFTER the holidays, we'll go back to total ketosis and see how we do through that challenge.

It is a strange concept - celebrating by eating unhealthy things that objectively keep everyone from being at their best, physically and mentally. Frankly, it is clear that you are still programmed in this respect.

Psalehesost said:
It is a strange concept - celebrating by eating unhealthy things that objectively keep everyone from being at their best, physically and mentally. Frankly, it is clear that you are still programmed in this respect.

Undoubtedly! But there are such great cooks and bakers in this house, and we have such wonderful holiday meals that are fairly righteous, and we enjoy making them and having others enjoy them so much, we just figure that this is one program we'll allow to continue to run for very short periods of time. I mean, having a wonderful feast in the middle of winter when things are so depressing, no sun, cold, etc... well, it just feels warm and cozy!

Laura said:
Psalehesost said:

Undoubtedly! But there are such great cooks and bakers in this house, and we have such wonderful holiday meals that are fairly righteous, and we enjoy making them and having others enjoy them so much, we just figure that this is one program we'll allow to continue to run for very short periods of time. I mean, having a wonderful feast in the middle of winter when things are so depressing, no sun, cold, etc... well, it just feels warm and cozy!

Surely our paleolithic ancestors were'nt in ketosis 100% of the time. Perhaps Grok and Grokette stumbled upon some roots and berries, bagged a couple of wild boar and everyone feasted and knocked themselves out of ketosis for a day or two then went right back to business as usual the rest of the time.

A well functioning meat sac with lots of wild mtDNA should be able to handle a feast on high holiday then be able bounce back without too much difficulty, imo. Whoever tries it should just take note and see whatever physical "fallout" is worth it.

Laura said:
Psalehesost said:

I think that at the same time, going through the process again (though only minimally of course) may lead to a better understanding of the benefits that a Ketogenic Diet would bring and one may even become aware of benefits that hadn't been previously perceived.

Odyssey said:
Laura said:
Psalehesost said:

Surely our paleolithic ancestors were'nt in ketosis 100% of the time. Perhaps Grok and Grokette stumbled upon some roots and berries, bagged a couple of wild boar and everyone feasted and knocked themselves out of ketosis for a day or two then went right back to business as usual the rest of the time.

A well functioning meat sac with lots of wild mtDNA should be able to handle a feast on high holiday then be able bounce back without too much difficulty, imo. Whoever tries it should just take note and see whatever physical "fallout" is worth it.

Too bad we are not yet well-functioning meat sacs. I think that if we were fully healed, we could easily handle a few unhealthy foods, but our bodies would certainly let us know that these foods were not ideal.

When I think about cookies and pizza, and the feelings I get imagining eating them, it is still very obvious that I have an unhealthy attachment to food. For Laura and the team to see this as an acceptable program to indulge in is their choice. They put in so much work, blazing the trail of knowledge for others, and, I assume, have already overcome most of their major programs.

However for me, at least, I am certainly nowhere near that stage of being. Buying back into the illusion of food, and emotional attachment to it, would undoubtedly have other effects on me besides the minor physical poisoning, as whenever I do this it seems to lower my 'FRV' and feeling of being on the right path. Even just some almond flour shortbread, I can almost feel it directly feeding the predator within.

My guess is that for a perfectly healthy (physically and psychologically) individual to knowingly indulge in the false pleasures of 3D, it wouldn't be too much of an issue. However for those of us on the road to healing, it is just another unnecessary setback.

Note that Laura referred to "righteous" meals, not pizza and cookies (at least not prepared the usual way with wheat flour). When I think of feast I think of foods higher in carbs and protein than a ketogenic diet would call for but still within the realms of gluten free etc. and tolerable to one's own system. But those are just my thoughts.

However for me, at least, I am certainly nowhere near that stage of being. Buying back into the illusion of food, and emotional attachment to it, would undoubtedly have other effects on me besides the minor physical poisoning, as whenever I do this it seems to lower my 'FRV' and feeling of being on the right path. Even just some almond flour shortbread, I can almost feel it directly feeding the predator within.

My guess is that for a perfectly healthy (physically and psychologically) individual to knowingly indulge in the false pleasures of 3D, it wouldn't be too much of an issue. However for those of us on the road to healing, it is just another unnecessary setback.

Yup. I have to agree with you.

I fell off the paleo wagon while on vacation this summer and now I`m finding it next to impossible to get back on and stay on. I come up with all kinds of weak excuses to eat trash food.

I recently had beer at a family reunion, telling myself, I`ll just have to start over again "tomorrow".. well tomorrow just seems to bring some other excuse, and I`m struggling to get back and stay back, now.

It seems like it was all for nothing, if you can`t stay with it!

And now after a year or more with no weird dreams, I`m right back to having the shamanic type dream thing going on again! Coincidence? I doubt it.

I have tried the bone broth, but just can`t make myself drink it.

Seems I actually "hate" the smell of it and just can`t do it.

I know that I can stick with the fatty meat and very low carbs, but that bone broth stuff is out of the question!

It`s really, really hard to get back, once you have fallen off the wagon and now the craving for junk food is just horrible!
A new battle every day.

Odyssey said:
Note that Laura referred to "righteous" meals, not pizza and cookies (at least not prepared the usual way with wheat flour). When I think of feast I think of foods higher in carbs and protein than a ketogenic diet would call for but still within the realms of gluten free etc. and tolerable to one's own system. But those are just my thoughts.

Oh of course, I didn't mean to imply that the Sott team would be sitting round eating supermarket biscuits and microwave pizzas :lol: . The "pizza and cookies" thing for me was just an example to show how I still have an emotional attachment to bad food. Making 'imitations' of high carb foods with nut flours and xylitol just strengthens the cravings for bad food.

Meager1 said:

Yup. I have to agree with you.

I fell off the paleo wagon while on vacation this summer and now I`m finding it next to impossible to get back on and stay on. I come up with all kinds of weak excuses to eat trash food.

I recently had beer at a family reunion, telling myself, I`ll just have to start over again "tomorrow".. well tomorrow just seems to bring some other excuse, and I`m struggling to get back and stay back, now.

It seems like it was all for nothing, if you can`t stay with it!

And now after a year or more with no weird dreams, I`m right back to having the shamanic type dream thing going on again! Coincidence? I doubt it.

I have tried the bone broth, but just can`t make myself drink it.

Seems I actually "hate" the smell of it and just can`t do it.

I know that I can stick with the fatty meat and very low carbs, but that bone broth stuff is out of the question!

It`s really, really hard to get back, once you have fallen off the wagon and now the craving for junk food is just horrible!
A new battle every day.

I think you should learn more about broth and how to make it in a way that you like. Sometimes I make it and it smells like wet dog, sometimes it smells delicious. Either way I drink it, because it's full of the good stuff.

Just add lots of salt, and butter or lard (or both, as I do) and it is truly delicious. Like I mean, really, actually tastes very good.

Laura said:
Psalehesost said:

This question could be approached from an engineering perspective:

The current program/meme fulfills a significant social function, and simply removing it would leave a gap. However, a replacement meme could also be created.

Here, a starting point could be to think of the idea behind the "Creating a New World" thread, ie. people trying to figure out how a neo-paleo society could function.

With sufficient inspiration and creativity - and perhaps some research - I think a healthy meme could be created that would be powerful and effective enough that it could completely displace the old. (This could also be done for other traditions steeped in the agrarian cultural framework.)

Whether now or later, such a project might need to be done eventually in any case - the conditions of the world seem likely to change such that the present memes fulfilling this function can no longer run; it requires the supplies and in turn the functioning of a surrounding agrarian society.

If it would be seen as a worthwhile project - and I think it could increase understanding for those undertaking it - doing it now would mean some preparation in advance, as well as something wholly new for you all to try this winter. Unfortunately, I lack the social experience to be able to come up with concrete ideas. So, all I have are more general suggestions: You could look to the specific social function of the present meme - the dynamics it sets in motion and what they accomplish between people - and try to engineer something new with this in mind, something greater than or at least equal to it in function. If a potential meme is developed, some "rehearsing" (habituation) might be needed in advance, since a meme involving interpersonal relations needs to run reasonably fluidly to function.

fwiw

Back
Top Bottom