Sourdough Bread

Psalehesost said:
Laura said:
While we intend to stay ketogenic most of the time, and definitely for the duration of the current experiment, we ARE planning on some Christmas feast goodies which will include cakes and pies - all gluten and dairy free, of course - and maybe cookies made with nut flours. AFTER the holidays, we'll go back to total ketosis and see how we do through that challenge.

It is a strange concept - celebrating by eating unhealthy things that objectively keep everyone from being at their best, physically and mentally. Frankly, it is clear that you are still programmed in this respect.

Health issues keep me on the straight and narrow...there's no way I can eat anything with nut flours, because I'm seriously allergic to them, for one instance. :P

If there is a reason to celebrate? You bet your behind I'll find a way to do that, whether its making my own version of 'cherry pie filling' baked in a gluten free whatever-is-tree-nut-free-crust. :D

The caveat to that is simple: Its going to hurt me. If I'm willing to put up with a certain amount of pain, yeah, I'll eat it.There will be no wincing afterwards, because I did it to myself.

I see nothing wrong with baking a few treats once or twice a year. Its like most things: If you know its going to be a problem, then don't do it. How hard is that to grok?

Meager1 said:
I have tried the bone broth, but just can`t make myself drink it.

Seems I actually "hate" the smell of it and just can`t do it.

I know that I can stick with the fatty meat and very low carbs, but that bone broth stuff is out of the question!

It`s really, really hard to get back, once you have fallen off the wagon and now the craving for junk food is just horrible!
A new battle every day.

Really sad. I haven't had any trouble getting back on the wagon after some slips, because, of course, when I slip, I still make sure that it is not totally evil. I would go hungry before I would eat anything with gluten or dairy in it. I always manage to do okay when we have to travel simply by ordering meat and salad. At one point, we were at someone's home and they really didn't have anything fit to eat so I went out and got some canned sardines and ate that. I think it embarrassed the hostess, so she laid in some ham and her eyes nearly popped out of her head when I spread it with butter and rolled it up to eat it. But heck, I don't care. Preserving my health is important and if people don't understand that then heck with'em.

As for bone broth, try this: get some ox-tails - about as many as the size of a loaf of bread (regular, not long). Then, some short cut long bones with good marrow. About half the amount of ox tails. Put them in a pot with a bit of onion powder and garlic powder, salt and pepper and a bay leaf. Cover with water with an additional 2 or 3 inches. Stew them overnight or all day (crock pot) or 3 or 4 hours in a pressure cooker. If you can't like that, then you might as well hang it up because there really is no way to do the KD without bone broth.

Meager1

In addition to trying the recipe Laura recommended, make sure you use enough high quality salt like Himalayan Pink or Sea salt,
and cook it long enough to reduced it to a thicker consistency.

For me it was the texture--I had a hard time with a lot of slippery chunks so after it was cooked (12 hours plus), I took out the bones and put the rest in a blender, then put it back in the pot with the bones for another couple of hours. It becomes like a nice bisque-like soup. CAUTION--never put hot, or even very warm, liquids in a blender--wait until it cools or it will explode all over you and the kitchen! Don't ask me how I know this . . . :-[
shellycheval

Meager1 said:

If you hate the smell of it, I bet you used old bones. I had one batch that smelled different from the others, it had a sickly smell, like it was almost going off, to it. It was not good. All the other batches (and I've made four huge batched of bone broth in the last three weeks) didn't smell like that, so it was definitely the bones.

A lot of salt is important and a little pepper, but if you're using fresh bones, it really is heavenly.

Regarding 'going off the diet' - that's just crazy to me. There is food and there is not food - all you have to do is only eat food. Anything processed is not food. Carbs are not food. Grains are not food. Sugar is not food. Only eat food.

shellycheval said:
Meager1

In addition to trying the recipe Laura recommended, make sure you use enough high quality salt like Himalayan Pink or Sea salt,

Hi Shelly, I think Himalayan salt is also not too recommended cause it has fluorid in it.

dugdeep said:
tschai said:
Too much salt can certainly have a dehydrating effect-and can also cause diarrahea which will aggrevate the situation, so you have to be careful with salty stuff- but salt is essential (good salt like sea salt) to our health. I am going to try Himalayan salt-it is supposed to be real good, and so is Celtic sea salt. I priced some on line and it is quite reasonable.

You might want to skip the Himalayan salt and just stick with the Celtic sea salt. It looks like the Himalayan stuff, besides not actually being from the Himalayas, is quite high in fluoride.

_http://fluoridedetective.com/2012/02/05/fluoridated-salt/

FWIW

and

Belibaste said:
MK Scarlett said:
To come back on this Himalayan Salt I made some searchs with this question in mind: Does the salt of Himalaya come to mountains?

It looks it does not. It is the geologic region of Himalaya and not that geographical of the climbers! The salt comes from a region of low mountain ranges to the northeast of Pakistan.

From a marketing point of view the Himalayan mountains sound indeed more appealing than a Pakistani mine.

Also the pink color of the salt come from the high content in iron.

Meager1 said:

I know that I can stick with the fatty meat and very low carbs, but that bone broth stuff is out of the question!

It`s really, really hard to get back, once you have fallen off the wagon and now the craving for junk food is just horrible!
A new battle every day.

Eventually cause you had a slip back your taste buds need to be adjusted again in a sense. I also had at points problems with bone broth cause of the fat, but I did dilute it with water which really helped and lots of salt (which was already mentioned) makes it really tasty. And adding butter could give it another flavor too.

Eventually give it some time, or wait till you are really hungry, cause this can make one eat almost everything :).

Ok, thanks everybody. I will try Laura`s recipe and see if that makes a difference.

And yes the bones I used might have been to old. They had been frozen, so who knows, but I can only say that the broth from them smelled like a gut pile and nothing edible!

Another thing to remember is the salt, I didn`t add any so that might make a difference too.

It`s a poor excuse, but there was little choice but to fall off the diet at the time.

On that trip there was nothing for four days, each way, but train food or something from a vending machine in a station, we couldn`t even leave to get anything else.

On the return trip we were so delayed that the train was out of food and had to order meals for us from a restaurant along the route, there was some kind of spicy chicken and noodles thing, I couldn`t even eat it was so bad!

I did learn never to travel by rail again, though.

And I also learned to plan far enough ahead to have plenty of money to buy my own food and not have to depend on a host/hostess who doesn`t even buy meat for meals!

But ultimately it was my own fault for not planning better.

And even though it is extremely difficult to get back and stick with the diet, once so much junk has been reintroduced, but I`ll do it. I have to.

Going shopping for ox tails right now.

Meager1 said:
Ok, thanks everybody. I will try Laura`s recipe and see if that makes a difference.

And yes the bones I used might have been to old. They had been frozen, so who knows, but I can only say that the broth from them smelled like a gut pile and nothing edible!

Another thing to remember is the salt, I didn`t add any so that might make a difference too.

It`s a poor excuse, but there was little choice but to fall off the diet at the time.

On that trip there was nothing for four days, each way, but train food or something from a vending machine in a station, we couldn`t even leave to get anything else.

On the return trip we were so delayed that the train was out of food and had to order meals for us from a restaurant along the route, there was some kind of spicy chicken and noodles thing, I couldn`t even eat it was so bad!

I did learn never to travel by rail again, though.

And I also learned to plan far enough ahead to have plenty of money to buy my own food and not have to depend on a host/hostess who doesn`t even buy meat for meals!

But ultimately it was my own fault for not planning better.

And even though it is extremely difficult to get back and stick with the diet, once so much junk has been reintroduced, but I`ll do it. I have to.

Going shopping for ox tails right now.

Yeah, made with fresh bones the broth shouldn't smell bad at all once you have it in the bowl. If it's very fatty, you can add some water both to cool it down and water it down a bit. I've been adding a dash or two of apple cider vinegar to my broth. I like the taste of vinegar and it seems to help me with digestion.

Well, unfortunately neither of the two stores I have to choose from here in town, have any ox tail.

I asked the second store to order some and was told they would try, but it sounded like this would be something altogether new for them.

And since I have never seen it locally, I think that is probably the case.

We don`t have an actual butchers shop here.

So I ended up getting some very fatty pork chops with a lot of bone and was wondering if these kind of bones could be used for the broth?

It`s all I have right now, until the ox tails come in, but it should work, no?

I could also throw in the bone from a pork shoulder I have too?

Meager1 said:
Well, unfortunately neither of the two stores I have to choose from here in town, have any ox tail.

I asked the second store to order some and was told they would try, but it sounded like this would be something altogether new for them.

And since I have never seen it locally, I think that is probably the case.

We don`t have an actual butchers shop here.

So I ended up getting some very fatty pork chops with a lot of bone and was wondering if these kind of bones could be used for the broth?

It`s all I have right now, until the ox tails come in, but it should work, no?

I could also throw in the bone from a pork shoulder I have too?

If you have enough of them it should work, I'm not sure how good the bones are from pork chops though. The bones I use are proper big long bones, that you can chop in 2 with a machete and see the goodness of marrow within. Have you tried ordering online?

No, I haven`t looked online, but I can try that.
I`m not sure how well they ship though.

Bear season starts tomorrow, and Deer season in a couple of months.
If we`re lucky this year, one of my sons will bring something home and I`ll have a good suppy of fresh bones.
I won`t throw them all away anymore!

I wouldn`t have thought that getting good bones would be so difficult.
I`m going to try it with the pork bones, if it doesn`t work then it doesn`t, but I`d rather try it, then not.

Meager1 said:
No, I haven`t looked online, but I can try that.
I`m not sure how well they ship though.

Bear season starts tomorrow, and Deer season in a couple of months.
If we`re lucky this year, one of my sons will bring something home and I`ll have a good suppy of fresh bones.
I won`t throw them all away anymore!

I wouldn`t have thought that getting good bones would be so difficult.
I`m going to try it with the pork bones, if it doesn`t work then it doesn`t, but I`d rather try it, then not.

Meager1, we have been using pork ribs and they have been working very well. If gelatin type broth is what we are looking for? The are the only oraganic grass fed bones we can buy around here. Beef ribs also work but we dont eat much beef it is to hard to digest.

Gimpy said:
If there is a reason to celebrate? You bet your behind I'll find a way to do that, whether its making my own version of 'cherry pie filling' baked in a gluten free whatever-is-tree-nut-free-crust. :D

The caveat to that is simple: Its going to hurt me. If I'm willing to put up with a certain amount of pain, yeah, I'll eat it.There will be no wincing afterwards, because I did it to myself.

I see nothing wrong with baking a few treats once or twice a year. Its like most things: If you know its going to be a problem, then don't do it. How hard is that to grok?

I guess perhaps others simply work differently in this respect - I simply no longer associate food with celebration. If I am to celebrate, I do not think of food - there is no longer any relation between the two, neither in concept nor in activity.

Neither do I understand what the appeal of baked goods is supposed to be, having adapted to meat and fat - baked goods are for me right in-between meat and fat on the one hand, and cardboard on the other - it is simply not food, and I cannot understand why/how anyone adapted to the diet - if they truly are adapted - would be attracted to them.

It is however possible that my tastes have simply gone strange and I'm simply distanced from what is normal - I cannot determine this on my own. Though should it be the other way around, I think my previous post is relevant to the issue of debugging both the self and this common aspect of culture: Why keep a detrimental program (even if mildly so), if it could be replaced with something more creative?

I'm thinking about it. We will certainly be thinking about what is good and healthful.

[quote author=Meager1]I have tried the bone broth, but just can`t make myself drink it.[/quote]

Maybe you made a more concentrated broth?

Refrigerate it. The next day dilute it with some water, heat it up, and add sea salt with some of your favorite herbs.

Bone broth is a must for my family!

Back
Top Bottom