Spirit Release Therapy - A Retrospective

The take-home message I finally understood was that, in a sense, SRT is a violation of free will. If a person gets "attached" it is usually because there is a frequency match between the individual - or some part of the individual - and the attaching entity, whether "dead dude" or elemental or demonic. If the entity is persuaded to leave, that doesn't change the individual's frequency; the only thing that can change the frequency is work on the self, by the self. That's the bottom line. And when a person thinks that "oh, it's easy, just do SRT and presto, problem solved!" they are much less inclined to do the very hard and painful work on the self. In a sense, you could say that the attaching entity is causing them the pain they COULD experience by choice, only with better ultimate results, i.e. changing their frequency, direction, and even reality.

If the person doesn't change his frequency, is it possible that the same entity continuous to attach itself to that person? Or a similar one in terms of frequency? Which then makes me think that if you're constantly doing SRT for them, not only you're violating their free will but it also seems to be an abuse of that gift. Now that you mentioned the violation of free will, I thought about it and it makes totally sense, let's say you do SRT on someone and you tell him that he should work on himself, but instead the person continues doing that which makes him vulnerable and you're running behind him doing SRT now and then, that is like a mother who's constantly trying to protect her child and doesn't allow him to learn his lessons. We don't know what that person's lessons are and if he was warned, and yet decided to keep going the same way, maybe it's time to let the person do what he wants, not just for free will but for the practitioner's well-being.

And I’d just like to echo, every time I’ve considered the subject of spirit attachment and the implications of a release. I can’t escape the idea of a quick fix approach, by both the practitioner and the client. “I’m constantly cheating on my wife and I was told I have a demon, fix me up!” Or “the reason you’ve been cheating so much is that you have a demon, here let me take care of that for you”. It’s walking away from responsibility, from sovereignty of the individual and from learning ultimately.

That's exactly the approach that a Brazilian church that has expanded throughout my country has. Basically everything wrong with you is due to a demon who took over your body, but do not desperate because you can go to their church on Friday's night so they set you free. :lol:

It's astonishing how people look for shortcuts in any field, but even more astonishing is the lack of self-criticism, I think that at a certain point, if things doesn't stop going downhill, one naturally thinks "well, maybe I'm doing something wrong with my decisions, I should try to change the way I act, etc.".

It's an interesting topic for sure. Thanks for bringing it up. I understand that the fellowship groups do reiki often together at the Chateau or other places. What do you guys do in the event that a spirit attachment is encountered during a reiki session? Do you just stop what you're doing, or do you continue to just administer the reiki with no attention being paid to the entity, which would be solely the patient's responsibility to work on and take care of?

It's an interesting topic for sure. Thanks for bringing it up. I understand that the fellowship groups do reiki often together at the Chateau or other places. What do you guys do in the event that a spirit attachment is encountered during a reiki session? Do you just stop what you're doing, or do you continue to just administer the reiki with no attention being paid to the entity, which would be solely the patient's responsibility to work on and take care of?

We've never encountered a spirit attachment here that announced itself in any way. The latter solution would be my option if it came up.

Thanks for the important reminder, Laura. I was one of those who had a session with that SRT guy. In retrospect, the whole thing felt wrong somehow and a little bit scary-it wasn’t a pleasant session.

Funny that you’d mention this now; our kids, who are 10 and 8,were just minutes ago watching a children series on the computer, and it was a type of story were children encounter ghosts in an old house. I didn’t at first realize what it was about, but at one point the kids in the show started playing with an ouja board. I thought for a moment, if I should say something, since it might make the kids concerned, but I decided that it’s better to be safe than sorry. So, I said that “if someone at school suggest playing with an ouja board, don’t get involved. I’m sure there are no spirits (a white lie), but just in case there is, we can’t be sure they are benevolent.”

Our kids naturally got a bit concerned, but now I’ve said it!

Made me also wonder why they want to make a show like that. It was done in a very humorous way, and the ghosts were gentle and kind, and ‘not scary’. But I still don’t like the concept.

We've never encountered a spirit attachment here that announced itself in any way. The latter solution would be my option if it came up.

Thanks! I've had situations come up before where, while giving someone reiki, I would get a sense of something foreign present. I tend to experience the level of "draw" from a person in terms of intensity, and the more the patient sucks up energy the more I spontaneously feel the need to concentrate hard for the flow of reiki to remain as strong as possible. Typically that happens when a person is extremely stressed or exhausted, or if they're in the process of some type of emotional release or integration.

The trouble I find is, that sense of intensity and concentration can come up when encountering something that feels foreign, like a spirit attachment. It's like the reiki wants to give the patient energy so it can detach the attachment. Sort of like how for a wound to heal the splinter needs to be removed (to use a physical analogy). Is that kind of what you meant by just giving the patient energy, and not going out of your way to interact with the entity, dialogue, do diagnosis, etc.?

The trouble I find is, that sense of intensity and concentration can come up when encountering something that feels foreign, like a spirit attachment. It's like the reiki wants to give the patient energy so it can detach the attachment. Sort of like how for a wound to heal the splinter needs to be removed (to use a physical analogy). Is that kind of what you meant by just giving the patient energy, and not going out of your way to interact with the entity, dialogue, do diagnosis, etc.?

Yes. The best course of action is to just continue to give Reiki and let the individual get strong enough to fight their own battles.

Made me also wonder why they want to make a show like that. It was done in a very humorous way, and the ghosts were gentle and kind, and ‘not scary’. But I still don’t like the concept.

It makes me wonder if there is not some sort of irony in the fact that materialism, relativism and postmodernism are promoted across the board, and therefore certain types of 'spiritual' practices are trivialized with the obvious tragic consequences. It reminds me of the guy described in the Wave who was into Wicka and ended up needing an exorcism. Also, the Catholic Church's report on a statistical increase in recent years of exorcisms.

Some thought should be given to DID, also. What if a so-called "entity" is simply a part of a fragmented personality? What are you doing but amputating parts of an individual if you seek to dismiss that part? And what goes in its place? Part of you, again, and you become fragmented yourself.

This is so very true to me. It's the very reason why I've never fully trusted the process of SRT. I was never convinced by the process, and I had so many doubts and worries related to it. I recall the Sott Talk interview with the SRT duo you mentioned, and to be honest I was divided. A part of me wanted a quick fix and the other part of me was very defensive and sceptical. Of course then I thought that it was an entity fearing exposure, funny how the mind works when it's paranoid and fearful.

Eventually I just let things go and continued to pay attention to myself. I have divisions, and I am mentally unwell and choose to take psych meds, but hey, they work for me. I'm just very glad that I didn't go down the SRT route.

A person who has more severe dissociation, as in actual DID, are most likely not suitable to do the Work, and cannot do it. Again, perhaps they are dealing with a karmic burden, an "infantile" spirit, or whatever; bottom line is, they just can't do the work and the most they can hope for is to try to achieve a modicum of normality as in striving to become a good obyvatal but possibly even that is out of reach. But striving is good as that is a form of working on the self.

I have an observation here; there used to be a lot of discussion in books and on here about the inner child. But I just don't understand the idea. How can there be an inner child in any case? For instance, I talk with my inner child, but I often wonder how crazy it is to be in that situation. I am 44 years old. How is a part of me completely unaffected by ageing and growth that it's still a child after four and a half decades? Drives me nuts trying to understand that, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

An odd thought came to mind. Maybe the ghost stories are a type of preparation - for when "things" begin to appear - during the thinning of the veil? Or so, we have been told?

Speaking of ghosts, I never got a grasp on what was behind the scary "Clown in the woods" manifestation? Was it some kind of gimmick?
In my own experience, most kids are petrified of "Clowns"!

It makes me wonder if there is not some sort of irony in the fact that materialism, relativism and postmodernism are promoted across the board, and therefore certain types of 'spiritual' practices are trivialized with the obvious tragic consequences. It reminds me of the guy described in the Wave who was into Wicka and ended up needing an exorcism. Also, the Catholic Church's report on a statistical increase in recent years of exorcisms.

From my understanding of the Catholic Church's protocol for exorcisms, it reserved for the hard-core demon's - the Principalities?

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Ephesians 6:12 - King James version)

This may be be somewhat peripheral to the discussion at hand but the dynamics mentioned here remind me of when we first started doing Eiriu Eolas several years ago. A few of us, all within a few weeks of one another, (and who were all practicing EE) reported similar bad dreams and experiences that precipitated a feeling of relief afterwards; like a struggle had ensued and was followed by a 'healing crises' of sorts. After that I took it is as a hypothesis that practicing EE did or could have a kind of cleansing effect where things like attachments were concerned.

While there are a number of variables and unknowns that make stating EE was the cause of some kind of SRT process in those who shared their experiences (if that's what they were) - difficult to say with any certainty, it is clear that 1.) learning how to do EE correctly requires a bit of work and a desire to get it right 2.) doing it with any amount of regularity also requires some will and discipline. So if there is a bonafide causal relationship between EE and the effective shedding of things, it would seem to make sense in that its practice is not only done on one's self, but necessitates work and focus to get proficient at.

When you think about it, it is arrogance that makes a person think they should decide what is right for another. And we've all learned the hard way that "asking" isn't always asking. If the person doesn't have actions to match their words, it means nothing.

I was arrogant thinking that I could or should "fix" so many things when clearly, the Universe knows what it is doing. If I am SHOWN by the environment that something should be done by me, I will do it, but no more "stepping in the gaps" because I think I'm so speshul.

Maybe arrogance is not always the case. Could it be a lack of a certain awareness of one's own empathy and the lack of control of such an emotion that actually directs us to override some critical and objective thinking? In that sense we own the responsibility and have it in our power to change.

One of the hardest tasks for me has been to learn to not think with my emotions and only apply them only after some serious consideration of why they are being triggered. Everyone has hard luck stories, problems and issues but how many of us stop to really think about their initial cause. By rushing in to help we may, of course, be infringing on free will and also adding karma to ourselves which was not there previously.

As harsh as it sounds, do we prevent every suicide, every seemingly bad relationship, every fight and assault, every perceived possession or unacceptable behaviour? In protection of one self, probably, yes. What lessons are there in these instances for the individuals involved and humanity as a whole? What lesson for the person doing the perceiving and from what true knowledge base?

There may be very fine lines between true calls for help and deceit aimed at our lack of self knowledge. How many times with hindsight would we have decided differently and how many times did we repeat that 'mistake' before becoming aware of our habits, patterns and triggers? A mis-take in the sense that the lesson was handled without sufficient self-awareness and the intended lesson has not crystallised in our knowledge. So, rinse and repeat.

There are certainly cases where arrogance seems obvious, although, I think I would base that on the orientation of the individual. If 'help' was given out of self-satisfaction or self relief then, maybe. Otherwise a lack of self-awareness may be more likely the case. We are all still here, so, the lessons go on.

A much appreciated and deep-thought provoking post, Laura. I wonder if you would mind expanding on the "SHOWN by the environment" as you understand it?

This may be be somewhat peripheral to the discussion at hand but the dynamics mentioned here remind me of when we first started doing Eiriu Eolas several years ago. A few of us, all within a few weeks of one another, (and who were all practicing EE) reported similar bad dreams and experiences that precipitated a feeling of relief afterwards; like a struggle had ensued and was followed by a 'healing crises' of sorts. After that I took it is as a hypothesis that practicing EE did or could have a kind of cleansing effect where things like attachments were concerned.

While there are a number of variables and unknowns that make stating EE was the cause of some kind of SRT process in those who shared their experiences (if that's what they were) - difficult to say with any certainty, it is clear that 1.) learning how to do EE correctly requires a bit of work and a desire to get it right 2.) doing it with any amount of regularity also requires some will and discipline. So if there is a bonafide causal relationship between EE and the effective shedding of things, it would seem to make sense in that its practice is not only done on one's self, but necessitates work and focus to get proficient at.

It makes sense that taking on a positive discipline as a regular practice would detox the old way of thinking. When we sleep, our mind is able to purge without the interference we would be subject to when we're awake, I think. It is then up to the level of self-awareness as to how closely to truth we are able to interpret that dream. FWIW

Yes. The best course of action is to just continue to give Reiki and let the individual get strong enough to fight their own battles.

Okay good! Was worried I may have been doing something suboptimal. :-) I remember back in early 2017 when I got my first attunement from a local practictioner and joined the student reiki share I had an attachment removed just through the normal work of the reiki plus my own awareness. The experience was relaxing and good until this negative thought/feeling loop I had occasionally since a certain point in my life came up very persistently and wouldn't go away. Then I finally had the awareness to ask, "was this thought really from me?" Then almost instantly I could see clearly that it was something foreign I didn't want there. And upon that recognition it just seemed to melt off and away forever. I felt the reiki did help to give me energy, but I had to use my own discernment and awareness to be able to ultimately "fight the battle" of identifying and removing it. I can't also rule out that the reiki itself brought that thought loop to my attention in some way as well, if it sensed that's where it was most needed. Anyway, just an anecdote.

Back
Top Bottom